JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kelly Chen - Replace

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 305062 times)

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #620 on: March 26, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
lol I think I'm the opposite when it comes to reading.  Hmm...should I actually reveal this...XD

I prioritize based on wellness as well.  The better the writer, the faster I read a story.  Usually I read the best stories right away...like the same day it's posted (with the exception of 1 or 2 stories I have saved up for a rainy day)...though most of the time the stories are posted really late at night *shakes fist at timezone differences*...I don't really mind losing a little sleep since I'm impatient...but sometimes I don't reply for days cause my brain can't fully function immediately after reading.  I either reply right away or leave it til my thoughts have regathered.  For the amount of enjoyment I get from reading a good story, it's only fair to leave at least a proper comment.

as for erm other stories...I just read them whenever I feel up to it XD  I'm willing to give all stories a try though I quickly get bored and stop reading stories that are overly predictable or riddled with errors. 

Oh yeah, I was secretly on the verge of boycotting suicide stories since most are overly predictable but a couple of stories have been really good on the matter so I've changed my mind for now.

but I think I've said too much so I shall run and hide somewhere XD

Loser87

« Reply #621 on: March 26, 2009, 05:26:09 PM »
What relaxes you and puts you in a writing mood? If you have a block, how do you try to get over it? I'm sorry if the stuff I keep raising are mostly aimed at the writers lol.

Aha I might as well, y'know so as to I don't become the forgotten mod/vet. writer =A=ll

Mmm for me..What really relaxes me is listening to music and on occasions it gets me in a writing mood..
But usually I really get into a writing mood if I had just read an incredible story that really just puts me in the mood..
Or if I had just read a less-adequate story that just makes me strive to write as if to show that I could write it better LOL.
Mmm then sometimes really good movies puts me in the mood to write haha..

Blocks usually I attempt to ride it out..
Or do other creative things (Like painting, drawing, designing, etc.) and see if that makes me creative enough to write.

Blah, I haven't read anything at all here for a real long while now due to school and my life.
So, that's sorta' reason for me being somewhat...AWOL..

But whatever.
I'm not dead..
But I haven't written anything other than comparing and contrasting scientific articles and discussing historical matters...

Hopefully around the summer or even better before summer I'll have time and get to be in the mood to write again..

yah.

Class now LOL.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #622 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
^
^Aww Sukoshi, don't worry, I think you can't beat me when it comes to being mean about what I read. XD

Truth be told, I am an extremely picky reader, because I get easily offended by bad writing. I wince at grammatical errors, and at an abundance of spelling errors. I don't mind the occasional mistake or typo because everyone makes them, but when it shows up in every other sentence, I start getting annoyed. :lol:

Aesthetics mean a lot to me. I get irritable when I'm forced to read something that disrupts my sense of rhythm in a story. I don't mean that everyone has to write like something out of a poem or something, but as long as the sentences feel like they fit together, I have less to complain about. I wince whenever something jars the balance of a paragraph, so I try to read only those stories that don't offend my senses too much. Haha.

Then of course there's content. I like fluff just as much as the next person, but if there's nothing but fluff for a story that pretends to be serious, I get a bit bored after a while. I mean, if the story is going to be all about fluff, then it should be what it is, and not pretend to be something else. If it's meant to be crazy and on crack, then let it be crazy and on crack. If it's a serious story, then draw a balance between moments of fluff and comedy and moments for story and other serious plot stuff.

For example, I make no pretenses for what Nocturne is: it's just a crazy little story in which Ai gets to pimp a lot of girls and be all cool. XD Along the way a bit of substance crept in, but that's out of bad habit than any real planning. I try not to make it overly emo or too concentrated on a secondary element meant to prop up the admittedly rather flaky main plot, which centers around Ai's awesomeness. But yeah, I should stop talking about myself. :lol:

Anyway, I don't read much stuff online. There are writers I follow religiously on FFnet, and I read some stories here by the usual suspects. I try to give most people here a chance by at least taking a glance at every new story, but if I can't make it past the first few paragraphs without wanting to claw my eyes out (I kid, I kid XD), then I'll just close the window. Sorry if I offend people lol. But that's how I work. If the people I talk to tell me that there's something worth reading, they'll link me and I'll read. Haha. Generally I rather read books at home, or good fanfiction I've bookmarked over the years.

I also tend to read pretty fast, since what I want is the main story. XD Once I get there, and if I like the story, I'll reread again. Thus I can read the same chapter at least 3 to 4 times if I like it, more if I need to process it further. It takes me forever to read something when staring at the same screen as stefy, since she takes forever to read a paragraph, and I would probably reread everything on the screen at least twice before she scrolls down again. Haha. :P Sorry stef. :lol:

But yeah, don't feel bad Sukoshi. You can't be more mean than I am. XD I'm sure people out there just disliked me even more now after reading this, but guess what, you're entitled to your own opinion and I'm entitled to not caring. :D What I don't know won't offend me, and if people don't like what I just said, they're fully welcome to reply. :P It's a free world.

And well, back to meditating over a new chapter. I need to organize my thoughts again. :3

*skips away*

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
LOL  :lol:  you crack me up so much Estrea!

I just love how straightforward you are!  Now I feel like a silly little bush beater but who cares, I'm practically rolling  :lol:

You can't be more mean than I am.

Hehe I'm so not going to argue with ya on this one.  but you know if we were closer, I would secretly recommend a bad story to you just cause I think your reaction would be priceless  XD  That makes me pretty mean too but in a totally different way XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2009, 07:56:14 AM »
Hehe I'm so not going to argue with ya on this one.  but you know if we were closer, I would secretly recommend a bad story to you just cause I think your reaction would be priceless

Actually, Hammy and Stefy do that to me every once in a while and watch me splutter and claw at random things. :lol: I'd be all "aaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh" and run away. XD

Then I'll come back and then mutter criticisms under my breath. :D And then scold them for being able to tolerate stuff like that. Haha. :P

Aww we should talk more. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #625 on: March 27, 2009, 06:14:51 PM »
^ :? whhaaatcha talkin about?  XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #626 on: March 27, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
^Please, you're the one who keeps copy-pasting the cannot-make-it sentences into our chat window and watching me implode from laughter and indignation. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #627 on: March 27, 2009, 09:07:13 PM »
^ XPP
It's fun to read bad stories, sometimes (just to laugh at how bad it is). And as Sukoshi-chan predicts, your reaction IS priceless XD

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #628 on: March 27, 2009, 09:51:26 PM »
lol  :lol: I must say stefy and hammy get extra cool points for being ebil  :ding:

I'm curious on what they forced you to read.  lol it would be funny if I read the same story and was like "omg but I liked that story!" XD 

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #629 on: March 27, 2009, 10:04:50 PM »
As a reader... I'm not SUPER picky, but I do have SOME standards... I really dislike grammatical errors (specifically spelling), but I let most typos and such go without saying anything because I'm quiet/nice that way. xD I prefer to read fics with proper description; enough so that I can visualize it. I tend to veer away from the "he said-she said" fics unless they've got a really good plot. I admit, I do write like that sometimes, but I try to incorporate a few other things in there... (I do better with sadder fics...sadly. XD) I tend to get bored with fics that get dragged on for too long, too. :/ When the main plot is over and settled and the author tries to prolong the story, I get very, very bored... There's always gotta be something there to hook me in, or else I won't read it. xD For priority... I'll read whatever is updated first. But if a lot of stuff that I'm watching is updated, I'll open them all in separate tabs, click on a random one, and start reading and slowly work my way 'til all the tabs are gone. :P What I have a problem with is commenting - I can never find the right words to express what I think of the writing (in a positive way)...and tend to just comment on the plot. -.-;; Because I fail like that. I wish my comments could be more meaningful.

What gets me into a writing mood... Well, there's one thing that I can say for sure - I write WAY better at night than I do during the day. I don't know why, really, but I do. I also need music, but the kind of music often doesn't matter. I just gotta have SOMETHING. I'm also the type to write short stories... Either oneshots or a story split into (so far) no more than 3 parts. I'd really like to finish writing once I start (I get on a roll) but somehow my mom always forces me to sleep. I hate being disturbed when I'm writing seriously; I'll get all kitty-cat angry at you and might even hiss. XD And when I lose my thought/idea, I tend to mourn the loss of it. I'm not kidding you. :sweatdrop:

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #630 on: March 28, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
^ hmm... multiple tabs? Good idea~ but I doubt I'll finish reading.. I'll just get distracted anyways. o-o you mourn the loss of your thoughts? Do ya have a mini tombstone for em as well? XD

@Sukoshi: I can copy-paste the story to ya if you want~ XDDD Just not here of course. That'll be tooooooooooo mean.

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #631 on: March 28, 2009, 05:42:04 PM »
Oh of course I have tombstones for them. Unfortunately, they're all the same ones. "Here lies the amazing fic idea I had but can't remember. R.I.P." It's kinda getting crowded. XD

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #632 on: March 28, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
Then make a "Here lies the amazing fic idea I had but can't remember. R.I.P (Part 2)" and ur problem is solved heeez

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #633 on: March 29, 2009, 07:06:07 AM »
@Sukoshi: I can copy-paste the story to ya if you want~ XDDD Just not here of course. That'll be tooooooooooo mean.

Sure!  I'm up for some good self punishment!  Just pm it my way =D
Hopefully my tolerance threshold will hold out but if I never speak to you again, you'll know the reason why XD 

----------------------------------hours later--------------------------------------------------

OMG who was I kidding?  The regret!  The regret!  Tolerance. Did. Not. Hold. Out.

My reaction was sooo not "omg but I liked that story!" it was "OMG...I remember this!  it's horrible!  my brain is dying!" 
oh Estrea~~~  I feel your pain!  I think my IQ just went down a couple notches XD  and it wasn't even a problem with grammar...it was just everythingEverything! :O  It's like sending the recesses of your brain into a dark endless pit  :on blackhole:

and..and..it just keeps going and going!  I don't even know what chapter I'm on...everything became such a blur after my brain started to reject it XD

I'm going to have to wash this out by reading one of my new novels XD 

Gotta hand it to stefy though!  She so rules for recommending this lovely piece of work.    :hiakhiakhiak:

(though all in all, the author clearly put a lot of effort into it...it's just a shame I can't appreciate it XD)

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #634 on: March 29, 2009, 12:19:05 PM »
Nyahaha! :wahaha:

What you mean you didn't find it ridiculously amusing? XD But I'll agree with you about the IQ decreasing part lol.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #635 on: March 29, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »
^
^YOU SEE MY PAIN NOW?!?!

ON ANOTHER NOTE, MY ENTIRE BEING CRIES IN HURT AFTER BEING TRASHED BY SEPHIROTH IN DISSIDIA.

D:

*weeps in dark corner*

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
« Reply #636 on: March 29, 2009, 12:34:40 PM »
ridiculously amusing?  yes...in a very twisted way XD

Estrea...Stefy has informed me about certain "scenes"  *cough cough* 
I may actually read them but I'm afraid my soul will be damaged in the aftermath XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
Yeah...Hammy was the one who was actually reading those certain scenes...and showed me them.

I think I came close to throwing up after two lines. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #638 on: March 29, 2009, 01:42:22 PM »
You guys are making me curious about this story you all are talking about. XD I'm not sure if I wanna go there though...

Speaking of, I never responded to Essy's discussion point about atmosphere, which turned into just a talk about what stories everyone decides to read. XD As for writing atmosphere I generally write in the dark, and tend to be able to get more into the emotions when I'm tired too and in a kind of altered state of mind. ;) I can imagine being drunk or high would have a similar effect lol, though I haven't tested it out really (aside from maybe a few times being a bit buzzed :lol:)

And as for the reading... There's a reason I've not been in that discussion yet. :lol: I'm likely at least as picky as Essy or Sukoshi... and I'll leave it at that. ;)

*runs off again*

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
Hmm, let's see. I'm relaxed and ready to write when I have absolute free time and lots of it. :P If I know something like homework is hanging over my head, it makes me too distracted to write anything I'd even think of posting. Setting the mood with music definitely helps too. As for writer's block, I'm not very good at dealing with that yet. :lol: Which explains why I haven't updated anything in many moons. I really want to write a long fic but just the sheer time it takes to do something like that is already killing me. :D And sometimes I just get bored with writing one long connected story.
Reading fics...I like it. XD I usually go for whatever fic makes me more interested. Like something that had a big cliffhanger at the end of the last chapter. Or something short so I know I'll have time to properly read and comment. :P It just depends on how much time I have. I think I'm mildly picky when it comes to reading. But bad grammer REALLY bothers me. I can't seem to like a story too much if I have to edit it in my head just to understand what's going on.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kelly Chen - Replace