JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - My Style

Author Topic: [01/29] Morning Musume '14 55th Single [Egao no.../Kimi no kawari/What is love]  (Read 19860 times)

Offline CrypticShadow8

• ecchi
  • Member+
What is Love? Is performed at 10:28 in this awesome prank video.

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
I need to gush a bit more about "Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa"; my previous post was made on New Year's Eve from my phone while I was drunk. :P But now that I'm sober I think I can express my love for this song in more detail.

Right from the start this beat hits hard with a stomp/clap combo that sets the tone for an aggressive swagger component throughout an otherwise happy, uplifting song; at this point in the video the camera focuses briefly on a center-positioned Sayu, who fronts the intro dance with her own stomps and claps and a determined, confident look on her face, as if she's leading her troops into battle. Easily my heart pounds and my spine chills from this audio/visual combo.

The persistent four-on-the-floor kick drum that I've "complained" about in the past makes a return in this song, appearing right after the initial stomp-claps and during the chorus and post-chorus sections. Rather than existing alone or being accompanied by an equally persistent hi-hat on the counter-step as would be expected, however, it's instead tempered with sporadic-yet-smartly-placed 808-esque snares and a slower tempo clap persistence, essentially cutting the apparent song tempo in half; this simple change, along with the trap-music-style pattern during the verses, brings a huge difference in rhythmic sense from usual H!P fare and makes the song all the better. Even when the beat goes into high-tempo mode during the instrumental break it keeps the same style of flow instead of falling back on the same old house pattern.

On one hand, I would've liked a more fuller instrumentation during the verses, but on the other hand the more stripped-down sound vibes with my own rhythmic preferences and philosophies, making use of "negative spaces" to create funky syncopation through the careful balance of sound and lack of sound. And yet there's still a lot to listen for and enjoy, because 流石つんく.

The vocaloid-style samples kinda makes this song seem like a continuation of "Ai no Gundan", which would fit well with the "leading troops into battle" thing I mentioned earlier.

I also really like the deep-voiced "してりゃいい" line that pops up in the middle of the chorus, it creates a nice sudden break from the melodic sweetness and, by only popping up then and there, maintains its element of surprise.

The way the verse lyrics are structed seem awkward at first, stuffing almost too many syllables in such short timeframes and threatening to disrupt the sense of flow. Yet the more I listen to this song the more appreciative I am of it, because it ultimately avoids being overdone and is balanced by more spaced-out syllable passages. I'm somehow reminded of Kendrick Lamar, specifically [noembed][/noembed] with its triplet-stuffed fast-flow-slow-beat juxtaposition. These girls are rapping without actually rapping.

And really, that right there is why I love this song. It's EDM blessed and enhanced with subtle hip-hop flavor, cutesy charm with the right touch of attitude. This is pretty much the song I've been hoping for since the start of "Colorful Era" Reloaded Musume's current sound. "One Two Three" initially hinted at it and I loved that song for doing so, but it ultimately didn't go far enough in my opinion, which led to me responding with my own remix to address such composition issues. "Egao no Kimi", on the other hand, I feel a lot less motivated to give my own spin on (though there's always a chance I may be inspired later) because it already gives me a lot of what I want right off the bat.

I've said before that I'm the type who doesn't buy singles and prefers albums instead...but between this song and the quirky catchiness of "What is Love?" I'm tempted to make yet another exception ("One Two Three" was the first when I got caught up in the hype of that time) regardless of how the third song turns out, just to let UFA know that I want more of this funky hip-hop bounce in H!P music. "Egao no Kimi" isn't perfect--I would've loved a stronger sound and sustained bass out of the kicks for some extra oomph, as well as some live instruments to counter the heavy electronic sound--but dammit, I'll take it.

Oh, you thought I was done praising this song? I still need to speak on the music video! Here it is again for top-of-a-new-page purposes:

Plain white set with crazy post-production effects. The recipe for those same old "budget" complaints many people turn to when it comes to H!P music videos...but in this case it doesn't look cheap at all. The bursts and streaks of color mesh perfectly with both the dance and the song itself, complementing key movements and key beats to provide some great visual punch to what should theoretically be a bland experience; I just love how such flat shapes transform into pseudo-3D settings. I do wish there was a bit more black in the effects and/or the girls' outfits for balance purposes, though--or the editors should've at least toned down the usage of the rainbow palette overlay.

The dance itself is nice, with the stomp-claps and appropriate bounciness to go with the music, though it kinda loses its luster with the line formation of the chorus. But starting off with Sayu's "y'all can't fuck with us" swagger totally makes up for it, and there's something about how Riho steps out of line to deliver the last lyric of the first chorus that just clicks for me. I'll probably have to wait for the dance shot to get a better appreciation of the choreography.

Zukki gets some decent screen time, which is always a good thing.

And once again I'm amused by the incredible shrinking Riho (someone should totally turn this idea into a fanfic or fanart :P )...

(heh, this took longer than expected...consider this a make up for my relative lack of posting in recent months)
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
@9:19 -Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa live

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+

Cool billboards for a song we haven't heard yet  :P
rina ♥ mini

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
HEY! 3x preview

FujiTV stream 19:00~20:54pm. (JST).
http://tv.exitoostore.com/2013/09/tv-online-fuji-tv-v2.html

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:48:05 AM by oaxiac »

Offline XcuteX26262X

• ecchi
  • Member+

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Talk

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
KIMI NO KAWARI(?) SO C-C-C-COOOLL ERIPON HAIRSTYLE AND PANTS :D AND THE PART WHERE SHE GRABS RIHO, THAT WAS HER, RIGHT WAO NEED THAT FOCUSED ON A DANCE SHOT MV PLEASE.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline CrypticShadow8

• ecchi
  • Member+
So I'm loving every part of this single. All three songs are awesome in completely different ways. So excited I always buy the songs on iTunes but I think this one calls for a physical copy  :thumbup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline CrypticShadow8

• ecchi
  • Member+
Ok I have a question about buying the CD. I usually buy from yesasia but will that count towards Oricon sells? Or should I buy from CDJapan?

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
I confess I'm quite addicted to "Egao no Kimi wa Taiyou sa."
The rhythm is perfect. The amount of syllables is what sets this song apart. It's catchy.
The chorus is very uplifting, matches the lyrics perfectly. Best part in the PV is Sato at 1:14.
The only thing I don't like is the low pitched (male?) voices in the background during the "syllable" parts.

I remember hearing "What is love" quite a while ago.
I thought it was just a jazzy version of the same kinda song they've been releasing over and over recently.
Even though I still feel that way, it has two things I like: the "datta hitori~" part and this dance move:

http://gfycat.com/CreativeHollowAustraliancurlew  :lol:

I only heard "Kimi no kawari" on hey!hey!hey! but it didn't really do anything for me.

And I still don't know why they went with a triple a-side... It's just seems lol-worthy/hyping.

But yeah, pretty nice package all in all. I hope it'll do well, so we'll get to see em on more TV shows as well!

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Kimi no Kawari MV at 0:00

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
lol too short. When I saw the Hey!x3 performance, I thought this was choreographed for the cameras. Like, during the verses, they just hold the cam wherever the person singing is and the person singing will always be in frame cuz the last person who sang just dropped to the side (for lack of dance terms). I felt the MV missed out on that effect, missing the whole point of that part of the choreography if it was intended the way i thought it was.

Girls were fierce all around. They got that fighting vibe nailed.

I was really looking forward to the dance break but lol well... life is full of fade-to-whites...

Offline oaxiac

• Masakist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Music Dragon

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:14:40 AM by oaxiac »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
^
Backup.
:thumbsup

20140118 モーニング娘。'14 ミュージックドラゴン

And Fukuchan, Harunan, Ayuyu, and Sakura pimping it on the Hanasaka Times show (near the end of the video).

- http://bit.ly/1dHN5sV
*short link because the full one won't embed.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline CrypticShadow8

• ecchi
  • Member+
Full video for Kimi no Kawari:

Offline Rina the Robot

• ☠☠☠
  • Member+
Every time I think I have my Momusu member ranking under control, a new pv comes out and completely messes with it. Haruka has officially surpassed Yossie's coolness, I never even thought such a thing was possible!

But really, I'm amazed by what a cohesive group Momusu is these days. Haruna used to stand out because her dancing wasn't on the same level as the other members but she did an amazing job of catching up compared to her performances when Help Me came out. Everyone has the look and feel of their performances nailed down and their releases are just rock solid these days. I'm so happy to be a fan of H!P lately   :thumbsup
rina ♥ mini

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - My Style