JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Metalchicks - Need Your Love

Author Topic: [tabletop gaming] Call of Cthulhu: Tatters of the King (searching for players!)  (Read 5412 times)

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears

I am trying to get a group together to play this game campaign over irc. Anyone interested?

Call of Cthulhu is a tabletop RPG based on the mythos created by H.P. Lovecraft. It's an atmospheric horror type of game set to the 1920s. To quote the blurb on the cover; "Call of Cthulhu is a roleplaying game in which ordinary people are confronted by the demonic beings and forces of the Cthulhu Mythos". No previous knowledge of neither Cthulhu nor Lovecraft is required to enjoy the game (though it might help you survive a little longer).

This particular campaign is largely based on another work of weird fiction, namely The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers, a work of fiction that has been getting a lot of attention recently due to HBOs True Detective, which features a lot of elements from The King in Yellow.

Players take the roles of investigators out to investigate strange happenings or mysteries. Every reference to "investigators" below refers to the player characters - not the actual players. You don't have to live in London to play the game :D

ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN:
Tatters of the King is a Call of Cthulhu campaign suitable for four to six investigators: ideally one should be a psycho-analyst or alienist and published in this field, and one or more of the others should be involved in the creative arts. It is convenient if the investigators live in or near London, but one or all can be foreign-based if they are prepared to travel to Britain to address events.

SETTING:
It is October 1928. London is capital of an empire covering a quarter of the globe and governing one quarter of the human race. The people busy themselves with concerns of politics and government, finance and production, work and recreation.

How fragile things are. What ignorance there is.

There are those who engage in different pursuits - who would see an inhuman power come to Earth such that it would make mundane activity seem like a last twitch before dying.

Over this winter its taint emerges: the sensitive and the weak feel it first. Few know the source, but some welcome it unconsciously - finding in it an unexamined thrill. Artists' work is strangely influenced, and they mine this vein of creativity. Many exhibitions this season feature similar images: a social gathering gripped by repressed panic; a lake or marsh cloaked in mist; a presence just off-canvas. New fiction and theatrical releases offer scenes of upheaval and confusion that never reach a climax. Seances and mediumistic exhibitions bring untoward results and end in disruption. Others feel new lines of communication opening; some claim God is talking to them.

All feel the lure of the stars.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY THE GAME?
A character sheet and a way to connect with us on irc! You can download the character sheet here.

BUT I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A TABLETOP RPG BEFORE!
No worries! If you think the basic story and setting outlined above sounds interesting, don't be scared to join up! I'll help you through character creation. The principal rule of every tabletop RPG is to HAVE FUN. There is no right or wrong, we are basically just making everything up as we go along. Fun, fun, fun!

WHEN?
We currently have 4 interested investigators, but there is room for more - I'd love to have more people join us. This'll be my first time acting as Keeper over irc - should be interesting! Time zones could maybe be an issue, but we'll see. We'll hash out the details once we have all the investigators we need! I hope the get the campaign started in April!

QUESTIONS/OTHER STUFF
Post below! I'll be stalking the thread obsessively.

:welcome

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
Aw yeah!  :peace: Pika is on board!!

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
Aww yeah! For reference, here are the investigators we have so far - title in bold is the investigator's occupation:

Travel writer: OSCAR HUMBERT BUCKLEY, played by bie

Treasure hunter: RAY SCORPIUS, played by pikapikapika

Crappy snapshot of available occupations here.

Please keep in mind the campaign setting: "ideally one [investigator] should be a psycho-analyst or alienist and published in this field, and one or more of the others should be involved in the creative arts."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:00:41 PM by twissie »

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
If you've still got space, I think I'm ready to get back on the horse and try this out again! :D

JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Metalchicks - Need Your Love