JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - Crazy Days Crazy Feeling

Author Topic: Clay Aiken to have own debit card  (Read 4966 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Clay Aiken to have own debit card
« on: April 26, 2005, 08:00:56 PM »
You know you must be a total loser if you carry plastic featuring this guy.  :lol:

Clay Aiken partners with MYplash for Mastercard debit card

UPI News Service, 04/25/2005

Mastercard affiliate MYplash has named its new debit card after "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken.

The MYplash, or "my plastic cash," card is aimed at young people who can't get a credit card, the New York Post reported Monday.

"The difference between MYplash and a normal bankcard is that MYplash has your son's/daughter's favorite recording artist on it," the company said on its Web site.

Aiken, runner-up in the second season of "Idol," went on to become the show's biggest-selling singer with his debut album in 2003.

His positive image and bubble-gum-sweet songs created a huge group of Aiken fans -- called "Claymates" -- who travel all over country to attend his concerts.

Offline mini

• #1 Sayumi fangirl!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 08:02:32 PM »
Why don't kids just get regular debit cards from the bank?   :roll:

Offline Gimme Dem Junks

• 66% SEXY. 33% HAWT. 1% EVIL!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 08:28:30 PM »
Fangirls will buy fucking anything.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 08:47:32 PM »
This is happening in the U.S., where they've only started getting and using debit cards (often labeled as those "check cards") within the past few years.  In the States bank cards were designed just for withdrawing cash from ATM's.  It was only recently that they started using them for actual money transactions.

The rest of the world has had the ability for debit transactions for at least the last 10-15 years.  I personally haven't carried more than $50-$60 in cash on me since I started university.  There's just been no need.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline mini

• #1 Sayumi fangirl!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 08:50:01 PM »
Quote from: TheQuickening
This is happening in the U.S., where they've only started getting and using debit cards (often labeled as those "check cards") within the past few years.  In the States bank cards were designed just for withdrawing cash from ATM's.  It was only recently that they started using them for actual money transactions.

The rest of the world has had the ability for debit transactions for at least the last 10-15 years.  I personally haven't carried more than $50-$60 in cash on me since I started university.  There's just been no need.

Seriously? I can remember debit cards for a LONG time. GDJ has been using hers for a long time. Like since she was working at Waccamaw (not that anyone else knows what I'm talking about...)

Offline Vikitty

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 08:54:39 PM »
LMAO that is just sad.

And yeah, in Canada you use your debit card for everything. XD I've had one since I was like 13.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 10:24:19 PM »
Yep, in Canada it gets a bit silly. People will buy a 35 cent piece of gum with their debit card and pay a 50 cent transaction fee...

I've see it happen. Repeatedly.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 10:26:45 PM »
You guys are missing the point. Having this is like having a badge of loserdom. Who's next? Siegfried and Roy? Liberace?

No wonder Aiken was bullied in high school :lmao:

Offline elgie

• Yossi's worth a good jerk
  • Member+
  • Miss you, Jab
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:38:55 PM »
Quote from: Asmodai
Yep, in Canada it gets a bit silly. People will buy a 35 cent piece of gum with their debit card and pay a 50 cent transaction fee...

but then, the transaction fees are payed by the customers.

In spain, it's the shops who must face those fees. So they always ask for a minimum shopping cart.

R.I.P. Jabronisaur

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 12:00:56 AM »

I work at a cash register as well, and the smallest thing I've ever seen purchased on plastic were 3 little washers - a grand total of six cents.  Canadian.  I think the guy just didn't know about the service charge, or he didn't care.  I jokingly asked him if he had any change in his socks, and even offered to give him the change out of my own pocket.  But no, he had to decide to be the biggest loser in the history of debit card purchases instead.  Meh, whatever.

Quote from: elgie

In spain, it's the shops who must face those fees. So they always ask for a minimum shopping cart.

Yeah, some smaller business charge a minimum for transactions here in Canada as well.  I personally try not to make any purchases on my card for less that $10 - it doesn't seem worth it if it is.

LoveHaruru

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 12:04:31 AM »
Usher did (or tried to do) the same thing.  J-Pop group CHEMISTRY were also promoting something similar when I went to their One x One concert.

It ain't necessarily nothin' new, and it's a way for the artist to make money, and the fans to spend money (too much, in some cases).

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 05:13:20 AM »
Quote from: Kuno_Thunder

Yeah, some smaller business charge a minimum for transactions here in Canada as well.  I personally try not to make any purchases on my card for less that $10 - it doesn't seem worth it if it is.

I go for the $10 mark myself. Any loose change I have as a result of Timmie's purchases, I'll deposit on my print account at school.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 05:19:40 AM »
man, i hate plastic.  It makes me spend more money.  It feels like i'm playing a video game, cuz i just see numbers on the screen/touchpad  when i use it.

"Ohh, see that?  I'll buy it! Don't worry, mr. Debit Card will handle it today =D"

Then I look in my account, and I get sad =P

I would get a wu-tang debit card though
word.

Flyp

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 06:03:57 AM »
You may find it silly, but how many of us here would get a debit card that has *insert favorite MoMusu member here* on it? :P

Offline Philosoranter

• Third Member of Ninety-Nine
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005, 06:06:58 AM »
Quote from: Flyp
You may find it silly, but how many of us here would get a debit card that has *insert favorite MoMusu member here* on it? :P

*has had a fake Aibon credit card for over six months*

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2005, 06:13:52 AM »

I'd be the first in line to get a Konno-Card if they came out in Canada.

I know one bank looked into a program where they could put any JPEG image on your card, but they had to back off because of copyright restrictions.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 04:36:15 PM »
Quote from: elgie

Quote from: Kuno_Thunder
I personally try not to make any purchases on my card for less that $10 - it doesn't seem worth it if it is.

Regarding the transaction fees, I just went to my bank and threatened to withdraw all my money from them (let's say I'd built up quite a bit of savings with them considering I'd been with them for like, 15 years; I also have some RSP's with them), if they didn't do something about these fees.  Anyway, they offered me the option of paying small monthly fee and getting to do as many debit transactions as I want for no charge!!!    :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup   When I looked at how many debit transactions I was doing per month, the individual charges were adding up to like, an average of $15!!!  The new fee I pay now is less than that (less than $10, I don't remember how much exactly), so there you go.  Problem solved.

I also try to use my debit card only for purchases $10 or higher.  The only cash I carry now are $5 bills for anything less than that.

SIGN ME UP!!!  Hell, I'd get accounts at multiple banks so I can get multiple cards with different MM girls on them!!!   :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 07:23:48 AM »
Quote from: TheQuickening

SIGN ME UP!!!  Hell, I'd get accounts at multiple banks so I can get multiple cards with different MM girls on them!!!   :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Fuck yeah, I'd start up a collection too.  Make multiple accounts with the bare minimum requirement in them.  That'd be crazy - it'd be like, "Miki is indirectly touching my ass!"  You know, her picture, on a credit card, in my wallet, in my back pocket, in my pants, on my ass.  Oooooh right, diggidy diggidy. :jerk:

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Zazen Boys - Crazy Days Crazy Feeling