JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Ukifune

Author Topic: Nocturne [13/02 - Epilogue (END)]  (Read 112711 times)

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Nocturne [File #17]
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:46 AM »
Hah... Ai probably needed  a break from Eri. Eeekz I'm beginning to feel bad for Eri!!! Don't be mean to her!!!!

Offline 0508

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Nocturne [File #16]
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »
File #17
Otosuke noted that it was just the right distance for a person her size to spring up instantly without banging her knees against the desk. Ai simply waited, folding her hands on her lap.

Wow, the old man's pretty sharp. Well, if he wasn't he'd probably be long dead.

"Though she does seem rather aggressive at times, as you have probably seen."

LOL. Ai really has the upper hand at making him lose his mind here.
"And by the way, I like her new tattoo."
"WHAT?!"
"Oh, you didn't know about that? It's right above her--"
*Otosuke pulls out a lightsaber*

Who are you, Takahashi?

"I AM YOUR FATHER."
*both engage in a battle to the death*

Okay, I think I'm having too much fun here. XD
Ahem, anyways, I think Otosuke will let the little "summer romance" slide for now, but I think he's gonna be gunning for Ai's head later because well, she touched his daughter and triggered the turning of the rebellious gears in Eri's head.

Eri set her jaw firmly, meeting her father's gaze full on for what was probably the first time in her life. A hint of steel was in her eyes as she replied.

"I won't disappoint you, Father."

It would be a bit lol if Eri ended up killing her own father. Man, could Ai really be that good at pulling strings? I wouldn't mind seeing a raging turtle. :D Or is Ai trying to bait Eri into practically asking her to do the deed for her? Hmm.
"Set me free so we can run away together <3<3<3"
"Okay!"

"I've missed you......Risa."
Does she really?

Why do I get this feeling that there's a giant subplot we're not seeing? And like lil_hamz mentioned in an earlier post, this Ai/Eri is rather addictive. Even if I'm usually all for TakaGaki, I wouldn't mind seeing Ai and Eri going gaga over each other in this fic. It seems so right. 8D

Can't wait to see what you have next in store for us. Do write more awesomeness =)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:09:32 AM by rev2hd »

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2009, 07:27:11 AM »
So daddy "accepts" his daughter's wayward relationship eh. I don't doubt at all Ai saying she has no intentions to keep things going indefinitely with Eri - I'd be very surprised if she did actually, she's just not the type - but I am a bit worried about how this newly aggressive Eri thinks of things. She won't want to let Ai go quite so easily I think, assuming it comes to that point. Of course, circumstances could change things, like if daddy somehow died in his sleep. :roll: Glad to see the potential for some more Ai/Eri hotness to come though, although knowing Ai it could get to a point that daddy definitely wouldn't approve of... >.>

I third (or is it fourth? :lol:) the sentiment: Wtf is Ai doing at Risa's?! :lol: Maybe she felt like she's left Risa alone for too long. Still, she has to know she's torturing the girl. I guess her intention was for it to last longer than just that night (or two)... Can we see her with Sayu next? :w00t: Yet another thing of "poor Eri if she finds out" lol.

Hmm, it seems to me rev might have some good thoughts on things. ;)

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2009, 12:02:31 PM »
Ooo Ai chan's so smooth~  while reading, it has crossed my mind that Ai chan might be using Eri for more than a little entertainment...after all Ai chan is such a good liar.  I wonder if Ai chan would have any use for Otosuke's company.  Assassin associations have to get their money somehow too, right?  Okay..that maybe a weird thought but I can't really see Ai chan getting Eri to kill Otosuke...so there has to be a reason Ai chan dropped that hint about the bird cage.  Out of kindness?  ho ho ho...I think not.

Yeah...I just can't give Ai chan the benefit of the doubt...well not after that whole Risa incident anyways.  I bet she's up to no good visiting Risa too!  I think she actually forgot about her for awhile until she saw Sayu the other night.  I can see her being relieved that Risa has someone taking care of her but I can also see her being jealous deep down and that's why she's at the apartment now. 

I may think Ai chan's up to no good but heck she's the best when she's evil.  Totally can't wait to see how this midnight visit pans out.

Offline ayase909

• I'm A Tomo-Holic dechu!
  • Member+
  • miya-airi rabu-rabu
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2009, 05:21:30 PM »
haha.....as usual, the chapters always pique my curiosity............esp at the end! argh! ai-chan so arrogant.....going back to risa after making out with eri.........well, *sigh* can't help it! what a play girl! haha :bigdeal: :bigdeal: :bigdeal:

more sweet moments, author-san! :kneelbow:

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2009, 06:06:24 AM »
I think I kind of like Papa Kamei, he may not always be there for Eri but he didn't fire Ai. And that takes a lot of guts, especially when he knows what's going on. He knows she makes Eri happy but he doesn't want to see his little girl be hurt. Ai still scares me....in a sexy kind of way~ :lol: As for my thoughts about Ai-chan's little hints, I have no idea what could possibly happen. :P
Kyaa, Eri just sounds so cute, all determined to make her papa proud. The girl is definitely more capable than he gives her credit for, but then it comes back to the whole overprotective father thing. I suppose the fact that her mother isn't around kind of reenforces his guard around her.
Ack, no more pills, Gaki!!! :cry: Please stop. Oh shit, Ai-chan??? :sweatdrop: My first thoughts were that Ai will twist Gaki's pining affection for her and fuck her senseless again. :shocked

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »
Ohohoho, I return! Short chapter this time, but eh, comment replies first. :3

SxY: Lol the question of just what exactly Ai is doing at Risa's place seems to be the main question. Hehe. >D I love confusing people. :3

kawaii beam: I can, and I did! *runs away laughing evilly* I wonder what Risa does indeed...hehe...

Fenrir: Yes I am. :D Why does everyone suspect dark intentions immediately? Oh well, then again, this version of Ai does seem pretty evil, so well...XD

stefy: I'm not gonna be that mean to her. Haha I love your simplistic answer to things. XD

rev2hd:  ROFL! Continue spoofing, I don't mind. I need a laugh every now and then. :P Raging turtle? I do wonder. Hehe. I have plans~ I know, Ai/Eri is really fun, but well...I have plans. Hurhur. More awesomeness (?) coming up soon!

rokun: Yeah Eri could possibly throw a spanner into the works given her recent assertiveness. We'll have to see what happens. :P Daddy definitely wouldn't approve of what Ai has in mind for Eri, but Ai has her ways of getting what she wants. XD Lol everyone wants to know what Ai is doing with Risa. Pitying Eri already? Heh. We'll see what happens soon enough.

Sukoshi: Ai always plays her cards close to her chest. XD Hard to tell what exactly she's up to, ain't it? :P That said, she has plans, and so do I. Hoho. Another person added to the "Ai is up to no good!" theory list. We'll see in the coming chapter. Hehe. Evil!Ai FTW!

ayase909: Yeah Ai-chan is pretty arrogant, ain't she? She still rocks though. Sweet moments? Wait for it, they're coming. :D

Ichigo-chan: Ai is sexy. Especially when evil. XD Don't worry, just sit back and enjoy the ride, no need to think so much. :P Yeah Eri is more capable than she seems, everyone isn't giving her enough credit actually...lol. And yeah, Gaki makes me sad, she does. Why does everyone have such a low opinion of Ai? Oh wait, I kinda gave her that rep in this story...haha.

Well, that's all for comment replies! Some editing and the chapter shall be out!

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »
-wedge-

My very first wedge!! woo~

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:38 PM »
File #18

"Mama, did you know? I think I've found someone I really like."

Chin to cushion, large dark eyes staring unblinkingly. Bare feet kicked idly at the plush covers, even as one soft cheek tilted down to nuzzle into the smooth fabric, perspective shifting.

Her audience said nothing, smiling steadily with gentle warmth. One finger reached out, stroking almost tentatively as full lips parted with a soft sigh. The surface was cool to the touch, and only reminded her of the distance between them.

"I..." She started, then broke off. "She..." More hesitation, as the girl on the couch rolled onto her back, staring blankly up at the ceiling. Words bubbled up within her, but she found herself picking frantically through them, trying to find the right words to say.

"There's someone I like..." She began again, slowly this time. "Father doesn't approve, as usual." Her lips curved into a self-mocking sneer. "When does Father ever approve?"

Another sigh, and her vision shifted abruptly as she rolled back onto her stomach. Her cheeks were puffed out now, giving her the appearance of a petulant child as she squinted at the person in the frame.

"Mama, do you know? There's so many things about me that Father doesn't know about. He can't even really look at me anymore, not after you were gone. He says he's keeping me safe, but he doesn't even know what I want or need."

The words had exited in a rush, the air leaving her cheeks as they reddened in her agitation, her fingers clenching and unclenching with obvious tension. Her eyes squeezed shut for a moment, even as she inhaled slowly to calm herself down. She was no longer lying down.

"I really do like her, Mama." Her voice was even again, her eyes returning to the image of her mother gazing tenderly at her. She reached out and pulled it closer, cradling the frame in her arms.

"She reminds me of you." Her voice had dropped to a whisper. She hugged her knees to herself, the framed photo of her smiling mother tucked between her thighs and her stomach. Her eyes were fixed on an invisible spot some distance in front of her, even as she rested her chin on her now raised knees.

"Would you really approve of what I'm doing now, Mama?" One hand reached down to pull out the photo, her thumb rubbing slow circles on the glass cover. Her eyes were wistful, the hidden depths misted over with layers of unshed tears and even more secrecy.

"Is it really alright...?"

~*~*~

"Ai-chan! Don't sleep here, you'll catch cold!" Risa scolded, her voice more motherly than sharp as she had originally intended. Ai merely blinked sleepily and squinted up at her childhood friend, having readily rested her head on Risa's lap the moment the younger girl sat down on the couch.

For her part, Risa wasn't actually doing anything to reinforce her complaints, one hand still placidly stroking Ai's hair like how one would coax a child to sleep. A contented smile appeared on Ai's lips, complacent and secure in the assumption that Risa would indulge her whims.

"Ai-chan..." A gentle smile touched Risa's lips, the fog that had descended around her momentarily lifting as she threaded her fingers through the fine strands of Ai's hair. Her other hand was currently trapped in between Ai's hands and chest, such that she could feel the steady rhythm of both her heartbeat and breathing.

Ai was here, she actually was. Not some figment of her imagination, nor some hazy hallucination that her mind had cooked up. Risa let out the sigh that had been trapped within her chest for ages, a genuine sigh of relief.

Looking down at the peaceful visage of her Ai-chan, Risa moved one finger down the older girl's cheek and on to her jawline, giggling a little as Ai's nose twitched when Risa's hand brushed past it. It was almost just like old times, when Ai always came to her like a spoiled child seeking attention, and her the mature one indulging the older girl's every whim.

Almost like old times. The smile faded a little. They were both older now, for one thing. They were currently in Risa's apartment, where Risa now lived alone, away from her foster family, for her education. It was now in the middle of the night, way past her bedtime, and she was sitting in her living room with Ai dozing on her lap.

A whisper of the nightmare came back to her, of demonic eyes and impassive face, the veritable stranger that had violated her, right here in this very place, leaving her broken and in tears.

One a demon, the other an angel. Both lay slumbering within the deceptively innocent young woman dozing on her lap, and that sleeping face seemed more angelic than any newborn babe. The contrast could not be any more jarring, and conflicting emotions warred within her.

She threw that battle aside though, and focused on the moment. Ai appeared so unguarded right now, so at ease and at peace with the world. Just like how the Ai-chan that had belonged solely to her was, back in the day. Before she had left. Before everything changed.

Something wet fell onto that flawless cheek, making the skin around her eyes twitch as she frowned in her sleep. Ai opened her eyes to see Risa hurriedly wiping at her own face, as if embarrassed by the outpouring of emotion.

Risa started a little when Ai reached up to cup her cheek gently, using her thumb to flick away the rest of the tears. The tenderness of the gesture only made the tears come faster, practically reducing the younger to a sobbing mess.

Somewhere along the way, Risa found herself crying into Ai's shoulder, clinging to the older girl like a lifeline in the middle of a storm. Ai said nothing, merely continuing to pat Risa's back comfortingly, letting the younger cling to her and sob all her fears out.

"Ai-chan...baka..." There were so many things that Risa had wanted to say to her. To this cruel, gentle person that she loved and hated at the same time. A torrent of emotion, beyond words or action, surging within her. Yet all she could utter was those banal phrases, in that torn, tear-choked way that tugged at one's heartstrings.

"Risa." That voice, infinitely gentle, patiently tender. Ai guided Risa's head away from her shoulder, resting her own forehead against Risa's own, both of them enjoying the closeness.

"Ai-chan..."

"I want to sleep now." Risa stared at the earnest expression on Ai's face. The eyes were guarded, but the rest of her face was ripe with sincerity. Yet it was the eyes that had cut her off, preventing further discussion. Risa bowed her head, leaning against Ai as she wrapped her arms around the older girl's waist.

Risa clung tightly to Ai even as the older easily lifted her, wondering only in passing just how strong the fragile-seeming girl really was. The thought flitted out of her mind as quickly as it had come, even as Ai laid her down gently on her bed, before scooting in under the covers next to her.

Ai was asleep within moments, her breathing evening out and becoming smooth and regular, the tension draining from her face as she curled up into Risa's embrace. The younger girl held the older in her arms protectively, almost possessively, as if reluctant to let go or even let her out of her sight for even one moment.

With a sigh, Risa cuddled up closer into Ai, feeling the kinks in both body and mind unwind and relax at the familiar warmth. They had slept like this often, many times before, back at the orphanage when they were but mere children. In the darkest of nights, they always had each other, and always knew the way into each other's arms.

A brief, hazy thought entered her mind as it slowly began to fog with sleep's haze. Was it always Ai-chan who crawled into her bed, or was she the one who went to hers?

Her mind barely entertained the question as it winked off into dreamland, dropping off between one thought and the next. Her breathing became steady, a contented smile curving her lips.

Yet the question of her next thought that had been so abruptly cut off remained.

Was I the one holding you, or have I always just been holding on to you?

===============================================================================

Hmm. I feel very retrospective now. TakaGaki had a lot of backstory here. It makes me sad. XD

Comment freely everyone!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:44:10 PM by Estrea »

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »
-dibs- o-o

Oh yay, Eri talks to pictures now xDDD ...... o_O

Ai-chan is very... o_O... how to say this... This scene is a parallel of their past together in the orphanage. Could Ai-chan have purposely made this scene happen so she could re-live it? Frankly, I was surprised that they treated it as if their last broken scene never happened, (well, more on Ai's part since Gaki-san cried) so I'm guessing it's that reminiscent tone o_O... And you mentioned that Ai-chan was defenseless-looking as well, so it adds more to that back-in-time scenario xDDDD...

On the other hand, I haven't seen a motherly figure in Ai-chan's life yet, since she apparently was only with Takeda and possibly a lot of male figures in her bringing up. So could Gaki-san possibly be the mother-like figure that she was looking for? I mean, she was pretty much acting like an adorable child in this chapter while Gaki-san was like her mother... o___O.... Your intention? xDDDD

Looking forward to the next chappies, deary <3
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 03:11:53 PM by Yuuyami »

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Nocturne [File #18]
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
Aww... Poor Eri... hmm and Risa.

Well Risa thinks too much. She should just enjoy Ai's presence while it lasts. xD

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »
Awwwww~~~ Eri talking to Mama Kamei's picture= :inlove: I see now that Papa Kamei has that issue where he can't look at Eri b/c she looks like her mother. :( And yikes, Eri's getting awfully attached to Ai-chan.
Dare I say it, the TakaGaki here is cute...never thought I'd say that in this fic. :lol: So many internal conflicts for Gaki... Hmmm, the last line, does that mean that Gaki has been using Ai-chan too? Just in a less malicious way?
I'm feeling slightly optimistic now, I'm not sure why. :P

Offline lil_hamz

• Sapphire and Nouveau... like it should've been
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • She makes every summer sweet, every moment happy
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »
Chapter 17

What can I say, you just write angst so darn well! And since Risa is my fav and I happen to like reading angst, I implore you to be even meaner to her XD The pills was a nice touch. It really showed how hard Risa was taking this. I can't even being to fathom why Ai came to her. My first guess was...well you already know. I have not read Chapter 18 yet but I thought I'll post this comment first just in case you know who pops in unexpectantly and I must make a hasty exit :P

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2009, 07:58:45 PM »
Hmm... another whole new perspective on Takagaki. :heart: It's very sweet, despite knowing what Ai-chan can do to people physically and mentally. I think they both been using each other, except Ai in a more violent and painful way than Risa. Perhaps Ai went back to Risa as a way to escape reality even if only for a brief moment as the way she reverted back to her "original" self. To escape the stress of her work, although I highly doubt she gets that stressed doing her job. XD XD But this also doesn't explain why Ai did those things to Risa the last time she was there. Ah, perhaps Ai-chan is just evil. Sexy and evil. Rawr!  :theking

I believe Risa summed it up quite nicely: A demon and an angel rolled into one. The question is which one are you going to get. :O

Eri: Seems to have discontent and hatred running in her. I wonder if Ai saw this back in the beginning and will be using that to her advantage. Hmm...

Offline Sukoshi

• Member+
  • Forever in love with the turtle and the hare
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »
ah I thought the opening was a flashback for a second...Eri's like a cute child even as an adult.  Wait...do we know how Eri's mom died?  Was it Eri's fault in some way?  :O

Strange how Eri sees Ai chan being similar to her mother...yet Risa is the motherly one to a childish Ai chan.  Eeek maybe Ai chan and Eri are really more similar than I originally thought.  :O

"Risa." That voice, infinitely gentle, patiently tender. Ai guided Risa's head away from her shoulder, resting her own forehead against Risa's own, both of them enjoying the closeness.

"Ai-chan..."

"I want to sleep now."

I can't believe her.... Risa crying her eyes out and Ai chan just wants to sleep.  *shakes head*  I would still be in disbelief over the matter if it weren't drowned out by the incredible TakaGaki tenderness.

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #215 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:23 AM »
*runs after her* I SHALL GET YOU!!! XD
chappy 18
aw~! eri sounds so cute X3 poor thing......eri must feel pretty lonly since her mama's gone... :cry:
plus~
TAKAGAKI MOMENT~! X3333 for that i'll stop chasing you...
it's so sweet ~  :mon lovelaff: but i bet risa must be emotionaly screwed up..poor thing~ >.< but atleast ai-chan'swith her for now X333
ai-chan! you better not be mean to sweet mama risa-chan again!(even thought it'll probably happen again XD)
keep up the good awesome work yo!
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline ShikyoxYaiba

• The Atomic Warhead of Foolishness!!
  • Member+
  • TakaGakiKame. Yes.
« Reply #216 on: February 25, 2009, 02:02:01 AM »
I got kinda confused at the start until I realized it was Eri talking. She sounds like such a kid with her mom. <3 I'm worried about her getting so close to Aichan, though. As much as I love Ai, it'll kill me if/when she does something to Eri.  But I can't deny the awesomeness that is TakaGaki, either. It was just...so cute.  Risa's thoughts are thrown in now, too.  I wonder if she's really just hanging onto Aichan or not... I guess we'll find out.

Offline rainer

• Min <3
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2009, 05:42:23 AM »
Well, I'm more than happy to read your story, whether it's long or short. It just attracts me too much. Your story is has got me hooked up and addicted now.  :D

@ Chapter 17:

Even Papa Kamei can't figure Ai-chan out.. Tsktsk. As much as I like the attraction between AiEri in your story, Eri is being too attached to Ai-chan right now. That could ruin her future.. So. Is Eri gonna listen to her dad, or is she gonna take up her rebellious side and be with Ai-chan?

@ Chapter 18:

Eri was just so sweet when she's talking to her mother's picture.. It's like she's back to being a kid. Not that she is an adult yet.  XD Ah. I can sense the hatred Eri is beginning to feel towards her dad.. Is this part of Ai-chan's plans? Hmmmm.. Ohmygod!  :O Ai-chan's back to Risa.. Is it just me when I feel that Ai-chan feels like going back to her past? The one when she's still a child, a very innocent and gentle child.

Gah. Your story is addictive. Moremoremore.  :inlove:

TanaKameiShige. IshiYoshi. <3

Offline ayase909

• I'm A Tomo-Holic dechu!
  • Member+
  • miya-airi rabu-rabu
« Reply #218 on: February 25, 2009, 07:00:28 AM »
 :onioncheer: :badluck: argh! really, gaki so deeply inlove with that playgirl............

hmm........but that scene is so sweet, like ai-chan's only comfort zone is risa that's why she kept going back at her! grr,,,,,,,,i want to see the play girl hurt.......like, risa liking sayu! haha just a mere thought, y'know~ :wahaha: :whistle:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #219 on: February 25, 2009, 07:03:17 AM »
File #17

"Take a seat."

Otosuke did not leave his back open to Ai, not for a second. Be it instinct or just plain paranoia, he was not comfortable with letting the young woman out of his immediate field of vision.
Considering how they're both in the same line of work, they both know that it would have been incredibly stupid for him to let his guard down in any case.

There were two chairs situated right before the desk. One was a plush leather armchair, large and comfy, made for the user to sink right in and feel at ease. The other was a more utilitarian swivel-chair, barely padded and encouraging a straighter pose. Ai picked the latter without a second thought, sitting down daintily, keeping a certain distance between herself and the edge of the desk. Otosuke noted that it was just the right distance for a person her size to spring up instantly without banging her knees against the desk. Ai simply waited, folding her hands on her lap.
Comfy is nice, but Aichan's "on the job" as they say, almost all the time, thus making the "utilitarian" chair a more obvious choice for her because of practicality.  She's always observing, always planning, and re-planning, making sure that she's aware of what's around her and, more importantly, what she can use to her advantage. :yep:

*AICHAN-OTOSUKE "CHAT"*
* JFC makes cutting motions in the air.

Damn tension. The fact that they're both able to keep such calm demeanours makes it even tougher to gauge what they're really thinking about.

She took a black pebble from its ornately carved receptacle, placing it with a sharp clack on polished wood, unlocking the puzzle. The black serpent had been revived, coiling around the board like a malevolent force.
For some reason, I'm picturing something similar to a board used for Go?  Not sure what to make of the serpent reference though. :?

Otosuke stared at the panel, then up at the girl who had unlocked the pattern. Ai blinked sleepily at him, in a way that peculiarly reminded him of his own daughter. He shook his head briefly to clear it.

"Do you play this?" More to cover the awkward moment than out of any real interest.

"I dabble. Beginner's luck, most likely." Ai replied modestly, standing up.
It almost sounds like Otosuke's been stumped by this particular one, and in comes Aichan, who "solves" it (with or without beginner's luck) within a few minutes.

"Even a caged bird knows how to fly. All it needs is an opening." Ai glanced over at Otosuke.

"Eri is ready, Kamei-sama. Give her a chance." With that, she bowed, making her way out.
Eh? Didn't expect this little turn. What is this now about Eri? :O

"You're terrible Ai-chan..." Eri mumbled, clinging to the older girl. "But that's why I like you..."

Ai smiled. "I know."

Of course I do. You're as good as mine. Just a little more...
So then, it really was ERI that was Aichan's target after all??? :o

"You are my daughter. You should know about the business, even if your husband will be in charge of operations after the marriage." Otosuke had turned around, fixing an intense gaze on Eri.

Eri set her jaw firmly, meeting her father's gaze full on for what was probably the first time in her life. A hint of steel was in her eyes as she replied.

"I won't disappoint you, Father."
:shocked

She might have been dreaming, but she knew well enough that there had been no dream. No dream beyond the chemical, of drug-induced sleep. Her dependency on the pills set on the dresser next to her was distressing, but she no longer cared. Anything to quiet the nightmares.
Nightmares? They've caused insomnia in someone?

Fuck, it's Risa, isn't it? :cry:

"Ai...chan?" The chill air seemed almost to rob the raspy whisper of her voice, swallowing it into the darkness. She reached out with one shaky hand, to touch the soft, pale cheek of the person laid in slumber on the couch.

Just one inch shy of contact, an iron grip snaked around her wrist, dark eyes snapping open. She cried out, more in surprise than fear, and their eyes met.

"Ai-chan...why are you here?" Ai stared up with unreadable eyes, pulling the hand she had just snared down to caress her own cheek, even as she slowly closed her eyes again.

"Am I not welcome?" Her voice was quiet, barely more than a whisper.

"I've missed you......Risa."
:mon wtf:

File #18
*ERI'S "TALK" WITH MAMA*
Aichan reminds her of her mom? Then her mom must have been a strong, confident woman.

Makes you wonder if Eri knows the real circumstances behind her death.

*AICHAN AT RISA'S*
While this is really sweet and all...it's also pretty damn confusing. Given Aichan's previous (i.e. recent) behaviour towards Risa, this is a complete 180 degree turn. Risa herself thought it, it's like she's with the Aichan she knew when they were growing up, before she got placed in her foster family and before Risa started having feelings towards her. Just what is Aichan doing here? :?

A whisper of the nightmare came back to her, of demonic eyes and impassive face, the veritable stranger that had violated her, right here in this very place, leaving her broken and in tears.
Shit, her nightmare is of that last night they had?
:mon scare:

Risa clung tightly to Ai even as the older easily lifted her, wondering only in passing just how strong the fragile-seeming girl really was. The thought flitted out of her mind as quickly as it had come, even as Ai laid her down gently on her bed, before scooting in under the covers next to her.

Ai was asleep within moments, her breathing evening out and becoming smooth and regular, the tension draining from her face as she curled up into Risa's embrace. The younger girl held the older in her arms protectively, almost possessively, as if reluctant to let go or even let her out of her sight for even one moment.
Okay, this can't be part of some plot Aichan's cooked up, right? She's ACTUALLY there at Risa's because she...well...really did miss her? If so, is this the closest thing to "letting her guard down" that Aichan knows/is able to do? Is this the most she can "leave the work behind?"   :huhuh

A brief, hazy thought entered her mind as it slowly began to fog with sleep's haze. Was it always Ai-chan who crawled into her bed, or was she the one who went to hers?
All references so far in this fic (I believe) would indicate that it was Aichan coming to Risa. It's almost like children wanting to sleep in thier parents' bed; not out of fear, but simply for the comfort of somewhere they felt comfortable...and more importantly, somewhere they felt safe.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Ukifune