JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Marunouchi Sadistic

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 483335 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1120 on: August 12, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »
there are power light, but the system itself just turn off .......

I have already disconnected all of my harddisks so it's impossible to be a software problem .... and it happened after around 15 seconds I press the power button ... just enough time to load the BIOS (so frblckstr1 is probably right, it's probably a BIOS virus)

so what should I do ...........
Hm, if you have additional cards in the system (like video cards) you might try and pull all those, then see if the systems stays on longer with only the motherboard, then one by one re-add the cards and see if one of them trips something.

And yes a bad CPU heat sink can also 'shutdown' the computer because its overheating.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:43:43 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline chokkan 2

• ecchi
  • Leader ~~~~~~
« Reply #1121 on: August 12, 2007, 08:51:27 PM »
I don't have any additional card except my display card ...... I don't even use sound card (my motherboard is an all-in-one)

hmm ..... I don't know about my CPU heat sink .... but how can it got overheat that fast ??  ........  what should I do to help it cool down ?? add some fans ??

Offline Genesis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1122 on: August 12, 2007, 10:54:21 PM »
you mentioned you got new RAM.... make sure those RAM sticks are pushed in all the way and the side clips are securely on them

I've had a PC that shut down as soon as it boot up, turns out I hadn't pushed in the RAM all the way :P

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1123 on: August 13, 2007, 12:09:51 AM »
a cpu can overheat the moment you turn it on I think.

if you already have a heatsink/fan, just add some thermal compound like arctic silver or something.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1124 on: August 13, 2007, 01:52:56 AM »
I totally pulled my pc apart to remove all the cat hair, and when I went to start it back up, it lasted about 30secs then just went OFF, and couldn't even turn it back on for about 10mins, which then lasted even less.. :?

What had happened, was when I removed the cpu, I broke the seal with the thermal compound, so needed to replace that... $3

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1125 on: August 13, 2007, 05:04:14 AM »
a cpu can overheat the moment you turn it on I think.
Not really, it takes a few seconds to get from room-temperature to its termal limit depending on what you do (new CPU's do not run 100% when thay have nothing to do so do not heat up that fast).
The BIOS a lot of times has a 'system heath' or 'status' page where you can see the temperature and CPU fan speed etc.
Depending on your CPU the 'normal' temperature can be from 45 to 90 C.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1126 on: August 17, 2007, 01:58:18 AM »
i wonder what's the best software to ripped audios off of videos?... u know, mp3s or wmas out of AVI or MPG

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1127 on: August 17, 2007, 02:17:01 AM »
^ VirtualDub works pretty decently.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1128 on: August 17, 2007, 05:45:57 PM »
and where can i go and download it?

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1129 on: August 17, 2007, 06:33:06 PM »
^
Virtualdubmod

Virtualdubmod would be a better selection, IMHO.
Its freeware, of course.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1130 on: August 17, 2007, 07:39:11 PM »
I'm using LG Flatron L1950S 19" monitor, is it possible to play Xbox360 or PS3 on my monitor using the HD/VGA cable?
As well will it show HD, at what ratio?
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #1131 on: August 18, 2007, 05:39:27 AM »
The Xbox360 is pretty good and you can get an official VGA cable for it that you can set to do normal VGA monitor resolutions.
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

But PS3 you don't have much choice. You'll have to get a converter and it depends on the converter as to what res it does.

Offline JTRIX

• Looking for Green Kame
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1132 on: August 18, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
thanks ebc for your help
The 5 beams: Sexy Beam, Mayuge Beam/Akabiman Beam, Miracle Beam, and Usa-Chan Beam

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1133 on: August 21, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »
ok i have a question:  i want to connect a SATA internal hard Drive to a computer that uses ATA/IDE hard drives.  is there like a IDE to SATA converter kit where u can hook up a SATA hard drive to a ATA/IDE supported computer?

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|

Offline Genesis

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1135 on: August 21, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »
you could use a SATA PCI expansion card

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1136 on: August 21, 2007, 04:44:29 PM »
I have a question: Will data/files be lost when changing a HDD from dynamic to basic?
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1137 on: August 21, 2007, 04:48:55 PM »
^hm, I know converting from FAT(32) to NTFS is no problem.

check this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044/en-us

Start with: backup all data, delete volume, create disk...

Why would you go from dynamic to basic?

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1138 on: August 21, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
From the Windows XP help:
The disk must be empty before you can change it back to a basic disk. If you want to keep your data, back it up or move it to another volume before you convert the disk to a basic disk.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1139 on: August 21, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »
^
I have 5 HDD's, 3 of which are SATA, and dynamic.
Recently, I had some errors with my largest one, so I moved all the files off of it.
I also found out it has or had a bad block, due to it showing up in my event viewer.
Ran chkdsk, it replaced some bad clusters, but it still showed up in the viewer.

I deleted the volume, and disconnected it, so it sat unused for a number of days.
Yesterday evening, I reconnected it, and put it through a full format, which ran overnight.....it took quite a bit of time for the format to run.

Checking my event viewer this morning, the HDD still showed up there, telling me it still has a bad block/errors.
I deleted the volume, then decided to change it to basic, and give it a quick format.
After that was done, in my disk management, the HDD no longer shows up as "Healthy(At Risk)", or "Online(Errors)".
That doesn't mean that I'm entirely convinced, but after a reboot, it hasn't shown up in my viewer.....yet.

Sorry for the long winded post, I was trying to cover as many of the bases as possible.

Another one of my SATA HDD's is also showing up "Healthy(At Risk)" and "Online(Errors)", but it has plenty of files on it which I don't want to lose, so I was thinking that I would change it from dynamic to basic.
I don't use any RAID, and my 2 HDD's that are IDE and basic haven't given me any problems to date.....knock on wood.

Maybe its a solution, maybe not, although I think its the latter.

The HDD is done, kaput, gave up the ghost............ah well.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:36:49 AM by L-san »
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Marunouchi Sadistic