JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 480613 times)

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1160 on: August 27, 2007, 04:22:32 AM »
^ Had a quick look at the JPS forum, and some people (using Rogers) say they are forced to use a proxy because their ISP has blocked JPS, so maybe your ISP is doing the same.

Also, if you want to ping the address, it's mullemeck.serveftp.org  jpopsuki.com is hosted elsewhere.

It might be blocked in your hosts file.  for XP it's a file called hosts located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Open it in notepad and look for an entry for "mullemeck.serveftp.org" and if it's there delete it along with the 4-digit ip that'll be on the same line, then resave the file.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1161 on: August 27, 2007, 07:18:56 AM »
It might be blocked in your hosts file.  for XP it's a file called hosts located at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
Open it in notepad and look for an entry for "mullemeck.serveftp.org" and if it's there delete it along with the 4-digit ip that'll be on the same line, then resave the file.

No entry for JPS in that file.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #1162 on: August 27, 2007, 04:08:49 PM »
Hi guys... I recently bought a toshiba laptop with vista installed in it... and it only took me a few days to find out that beneath all the pretty visual effects, vista is basically crap. So I'm really thinking to install XP in my laptop, but I have a few questions:

1. will all my device still work if I reformat my harddisk and install xp? like my webcam, wi-fi adapter, graphic card etc?

2. Does anyone know of a safe way to do this? even a link would be great!

thanks before :D

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1163 on: August 27, 2007, 04:35:55 PM »
Hi guys... I recently bought a toshiba laptop with vista installed in it... and it only took me a few days to find out that beneath all the pretty visual effects, vista is basically crap.
I would give it a few more days, Vista 'under the covers' is better then  XP.
So I'm really thinking to install XP in my laptop, but I have a few questions:

1. will all my device still work if I reformat my harddisk and install xp? like my webcam, wi-fi adapter, graphic card etc?
If the laptop is available in a XP version you can probably download the drivers from the Toshiba site.

2. Does anyone know of a safe way to do this? even a link would be great!

Save way??

Put the XP CD into the CD/DVD drive, close it carefully, follow the prompts :D

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #1164 on: August 27, 2007, 05:21:07 PM »

well maybe calling it crap is a bit much... but It's just annoying how many program doesn't work with vista... and those that does work keep on shutting down at random times >_<

though when vista SP1 comes up I'll definitely give it another try.

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1165 on: August 28, 2007, 05:09:33 AM »

well maybe calling it crap is a bit much... but It's just annoying how many program doesn't work with vista... and those that does work keep on shutting down at random times >_<

though when vista SP1 comes up I'll definitely give it another try.
So its more the programs then the OS you have a problem with.

Do not expect SP1 to make your programs behave better, by the sounds of it the 'better under the covers' part of Vista is working. If the program crashes its mainly the programs fault, as long as Vista manages to stay up-and-running you can restart it.

For me: I have a big problem with codecs and Media center, the thumbnail creation keeps crashing the interface, but restart MCE and we can continue, very annoying but Vista keeps running.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #1166 on: August 28, 2007, 09:41:33 AM »
^ yeah... well specifically, It's adobe CS3. I had it installed once in vista, but it keeps freezing at random times. then one day when I tried to start premiere, a message pops up saying "this program has stopped working, you need to uninstall and reinstall it" or something. then I tried, but it keeps on failing (couldn't be the disc, I've only used it once). after that I tried installing it on my home PC, which has XP, and it works without problem >_<

Yeah I agree with you though, Vista has a lot of potential and many useful features that XP doesn't have, but the amount of trouble I go through to enjoy those features is just not worth it right now... that's why I'm thinking of moving to XP, for now at least.

I've actually had this kind of experience when XP was first released, I moved from 98 to XP but found so many compatibility issues that I reverted back to 98 for some time... then after XP stabilizes I moved to XP again.

now the only thing I'm worried about is whether I can still use my recovery DVD if I've installed XP. if I can then I'll definitely try to install XP, and if anything goes wrong I can just recover vista from the DVD... any ideas whether this is possible?

thanks for the replies btw :D

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1167 on: August 28, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »
now the only thing I'm worried about is whether I can still use my recovery DVD if I've installed XP. if I can then I'll definitely try to install XP, and if anything goes wrong I can just recover vista from the DVD... any ideas whether this is possible?

thanks for the replies btw :D
If it is a bootable DVD that does not require a part on the harddisk, you should be able to fully restore the system by booting it.

Those kind of DVD's are meant to repair a system even after replacing the HD.

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1168 on: August 28, 2007, 12:47:38 PM »
I guess your BIOS has been tattoo-ed, so I don't know if it allows you to install another OS  :?

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #1169 on: August 28, 2007, 03:17:41 PM »
If it is a bootable DVD that does not require a part on the harddisk, you should be able to fully restore the system by booting it.

Those kind of DVD's are meant to repair a system even after replacing the HD.
yes it's a bootable disc :D so maybe I'll give it a try soon... hope it works!

I guess your BIOS has been tattoo-ed, so I don't know if it allows you to install another OS  :?
I dunno about this.. hopefully not :( we'll see. I got a good feeling I'll be able to though.

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1170 on: August 28, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »

?? care to explain what you mean by this?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 04:16:51 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1171 on: August 28, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
manufacturers ( I don't know about toshiba ) use more and more tattoo on BIOS;
it's linked to the recovery CD/DVD ( which check the BIOS when booting ), so I don't know if you format and change the OS it alters the tattoo ...

I'm pretty sure that if you change your motherboard, the CD/DVD recovery won't work.

errrr... maybe I should ask the tech guy of my company because I'm not really aware about it xD

ohh, Rick-e, photoshop CS3 works fine on my Vista :)
you can check the Windows Vista RTM Software Compatibility List before installing a soft :3

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1172 on: August 29, 2007, 05:25:34 AM »
manufacturers ( I don't know about toshiba ) use more and more tattoo on BIOS;
it's linked to the recovery CD/DVD ( which check the BIOS when booting ), so I don't know if you format and change the OS it alters the tattoo ...
Hm, never heard it described as 'tatooing' of the BIOS. What I think you are refering to is a kind of check (or 'fingerprinting') that the recovery DVD performs to not be usefull on other machines.
This is very common, has to do with licensing (and drivers/setup).

Anyway, the discussion was not about re-flashing the BIOS but about installing XP on the HD.

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1173 on: August 29, 2007, 07:35:41 AM »
I know I know
sorry to not be clear  :banghead: yeah it seems to be the same thing
my friend remind me that there is a hidden partition recovery which has the tattoo ( BOM numbers )

ok I prefer to stop here lol

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1174 on: August 29, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
my friend remind me that there is a hidden partition recovery which has the tattoo ( BOM numbers )
That is possible (and most of the time where the recovery DVD is created from) but I never have heard it referred to as 'the tattoo'.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #1175 on: September 01, 2007, 08:37:17 AM »
Okay, this is pissing me off. My monitor just goes off for about 2 seconds at random times when I'm using the computer. I don't know why it happens, and the most recent change is adding some RAM. It has only happened after I did this. Nothing else changed. Advise?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1176 on: September 01, 2007, 04:22:51 PM »
Depends on your vode
Okay, this is pissing me off. My monitor just goes off for about 2 seconds at random times when I'm using the computer. I don't know why it happens, and the most recent change is adding some RAM. It has only happened after I did this. Nothing else changed. Advise?
Pull the memory and see if the problem disappears, bad memory can have strange effects.

If you use Vista you can do a memory test (needs reboot) for XP there are test programs you can download.

Other option: if you needed to pull the video card (or touched it during) the RAM adding, maybe its needs to be redone because it has a bad contact (pulll card, put it back)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:24:48 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #1177 on: September 03, 2007, 12:46:24 AM »
Okay, this is pissing me off. My monitor just goes off for about 2 seconds at random times when I'm using the computer.

One of my monitors started doing this for a few weeks then it stopped working and I had to get a new one.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1178 on: September 03, 2007, 03:33:26 AM »
Where's the file for Firefox bookmarks located?

I need to back it up, since I'll gonna do a reformat/re-install sometime soon.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1179 on: September 03, 2007, 03:47:16 AM »
Where's the file for Firefox bookmarks located?

I need to back it up, since I'll gonna do a reformat/re-install sometime soon.

In Firefox, go to Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks.  File -> Export, and that file it saves is all your bookmarks.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Morning Musume - Iroppoi Jirettai