JPHiP Radio (9/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Lady Navigation

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 486253 times)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1520 on: May 05, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
^ Ah thanks!

But where does FF keep the stored files?

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1521 on: May 05, 2008, 04:40:09 PM »
^ type about:cache in the url bar

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1522 on: May 05, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »
^ type about:cache in the url bar

Is there a way to manually delete them too? Bah, sorry, completely tech retarded sometimes  :sweatdrop:

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #1523 on: May 05, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »
manually ? open the cache directory showed by the about:config ( something like  C:\Documents and Settings\ USER \Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\ ... ) and delete them
or
Ctrl+Shift+Suppr which is better =/

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1524 on: May 10, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
Kind of a stupid question, but here goes.

I have written several articles for my journalism class. We need to minic the look of a paper using our own articles. What's the best way to recreate a newspaper look? I tried textboxes in word, but they drove me mad within minutes. Column didn't work properly either. Any ideas? It's kinda hard, because I don't have any advanced programs.

Offline redux

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I shit my pants on a regular basis
« Reply #1525 on: May 10, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »
Hm, to be honest Microsoft Publisher is the only alternate I can think of or have used in the past myself. Whenever I haven't had access to Publisher unfortunately I've had to put up with text boxes myself.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1526 on: May 10, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
Yeah my teacher said MS Publisher was good, but no one I know has it. Perhaps I can find a trial version or something. Thanks.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1527 on: May 10, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »
you can try this http://www.scribus.net/

it's open source so it's free, but don't know how well it works.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1528 on: May 12, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I finally managed to get MS Publisher to work and it seems to do the trick.. for now haha.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1529 on: May 13, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
Just have to ask, but my Dell Insprion 1300 laptop becomes increasingly hotter during use and has shut down by itself before on several occassions as a safety precaution over 'overheating'. It's gotten hot before, but it seems to me that it gets hotter quicker than before and the only solution is to rest it on my knee. I'd say my room is well-ventilated enough but I do tend to rest it on my bed which probably doesn't help, but it heats excessively wherever I put it. Is this a problem with the battery or something? Would a new battery solve the problem? Just want some piece of mind :)

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1530 on: May 13, 2008, 11:00:10 PM »
If your laptop comes with a power cord, try removing the battery and running the laptop directly off power from your wall. If it doesn't get hot anymore, then it probably is the battery's fault. A few months ago, there were news reports about defective laptop batteries made by Sony (I think). They got so hot that they melted and caught fire. Some of Dell's laptops were part of the recall. Try googling the model number of your battery or laptop to see if there have been similar complaints.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1531 on: May 14, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »
Oops, after a little bit of searching I've found the spec of my laptop and it turns out it's not the battery. It's the thermal-cooler unit. There's talk of thermal grease and screw removal and all so I ain't touching it now for fear of mucking up the whole thing. Seems with a particular model of Inspiron laptops that the thermal cooler managed to intake any dust the surface is on, therefore clogging up the fan and causing performance issues as a result such as laggy Windows performance and even shut down. Think this might be happening for me, albeit I haven't had any laggy performance issues.

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #1532 on: May 16, 2008, 03:23:42 AM »
Okay, so this morning, my audio just stopped working.  For no apparent reason.  My friend was on the computer but she's fairly computer savvy so I don't think she would "accidentally uninstall a driver" or something.   

It just stopped loading all together.  I tried different speakers and different headsets and none of them work, and tried same headset on a different computer and a different radio and they worked, so I'm firmly convinced it's a computer/driver problem.  I uninstalled the Realtek AC'97 driver.  Whenever I tried to reinstall, it "lagged" and got stuck at about 80%.  At this point, I have no clue what to do.  Download an older version of the driver and try, maybe?

If you need to know any more information, just ask.  A computer is half-useless to me if I can't hear audio, so this is a pretty big problem :/

I'm using Windows Vista... and Vista Manager says this about my audio stuff:

Sound Card High Definition Audio Device
Manufacturer: Microsoft
DeviceID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0883&SUBSYS_10192932&REV_1000\4&7EEC690&0&0001
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1533 on: May 16, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
^ I'm starting not to like ReallTek for audio :( I have seen lots of motherboards that have problems with the drivers (to the point they actaually blue-screen Vista)
They are working fine on both my HP laptops (nock on wood)

Normally when you under the device manager un-install the driver for the audio, then re-scan for devices it should correct itself if it worked correctly before.
But if you have problems installing the new drivers (as you mentioned) then this might not help.

Try the sequence: reboot the machine, check if the audio works (check if it is not set to mute or 0-volume)
if it doesn't work: remove driver in device manager, re-scan.
if that still doesn't work... you might actually have defective hardware.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1534 on: May 16, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »
I installed and ran a program called WindowWasher, and now some pictures I uploaded and hot-linked (like on my LJ) don't show up anymore, but it's cool because I can just re-upload the pictures again and then they'll show up normally.

But now I can't watch YouTube videos  :-\ It says I don't have Java installed, but I do, I even re-installed it and I re-fresh the page; still won't play and displays the same message.

Do I just have to re-start my computer?

(Oh, and it only happens to FF, not my Avant browser)

EDIT: Okay, so now it's screwing with images I can't re-upload. What's up?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 03:59:48 PM by hanabi. »

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1535 on: May 16, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »
You can try to start Firefox in safe mode. See if the problems are still there. If the problems are gone, then try to find the plug-in that's causing the troubles and disable or remove it.

Another thing you can do (assuming WinXP), is to look at the Event Viewer. It is located under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools. Look at the Application and System logs and see if any errors have occurred. If any, you can search for the event id or the description text with Google to see if there's a solution.

To see if Java is enabled in your browser, see this site. You can also see which version of Java is installed. If the test fails, first try removing all (old) versions of Java installed via "Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. Then reinstall the latest version. I use the Sun version myself. See http://www.java.com/ You may have to close all browser windows and reboot your machine.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1536 on: May 16, 2008, 05:43:47 PM »
Okay, YouTube works now in Safe Mode, and the pictures are showing up again (after re-freshing). But how do I find the plug-in which could be screwing everything up?

(And if I've resolved it, can I go back to using 'normal mode'?)

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1537 on: May 16, 2008, 06:25:35 PM »
Now you know it is a plug-in(s) that's causing the problems.

And now comes the hard part. Startup in normal mode. Then disable all your plug-ins/extensions. After that start enabling the extensions one at a time and test if Youtube and the pictures still work. Once Youtube etc. fail you know which extension is the culprit. Don't forget to restart Firefox after dis/enabling any extension.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #1538 on: May 17, 2008, 02:59:06 AM »
got a hard drive question: how do I get it to start d/l on my new drive?

plus, I've been trying to start burning shows onto a disc..what do I need to do to make sure they play on my dvd player?

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #1539 on: May 17, 2008, 04:09:05 AM »
Now you know it is a plug-in(s) that's causing the problems.

And now comes the hard part. Startup in normal mode. Then disable all your plug-ins/extensions. After that start enabling the extensions one at a time and test if Youtube and the pictures still work. Once Youtube etc. fail you know which extension is the culprit. Don't forget to restart Firefox after dis/enabling any extension.

I went to this site to show me how to disable plug-ins, but when I tried the first step (typing in 'plugin.disable'), nothing showed up after that, as if I don't have any plug-ins  :-\

JPHiP Radio (9/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Lady Navigation