JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: X21 - Dear. Darlin`

Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 126134 times)

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
Watching party for dirty foreigners (or anyone!) in JPHiP irc room Monday 18th, 9pm or 10pm Finnotime (can be negotiated)!! :w00t:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
Spoiler-free preview of the series

Spoiler: It sounds pretty good

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 01:26:33 AM »
The NY Times review of the series is pretty lol worthy

Yet another female journalist who doesn't seem to comprehend that not all girls like Sex in the City or the latest romantic comedy and that some girls might actually prefer sci-fi and fantasy. Even going so far as to suggest that such a woman isn't 'real'. Besides, it's a terrible review that doesn't even discuss characters or plot (she thinks the long lasting seasons is the main thrust of the show? Seriously?) It'd be sad if it wasn't so funny.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 02:48:25 PM »
^ One would think that NY Times would have more professional journalists than that, aren't they supposed to have a good rep? Guess not then lol

Seriously ALL the negative reviews so far have only focused on the fact that it's FANTASY. Which really says nothing at all but that the reviewer is close-minded and sad. They haven't said bad things about the characters, plot, acting, production etc... Only the fact that it's fantasy. Some people...

Oh, except I heard that some reviewer didn't like it that the characters aren't clearly good or evil. :lol: HOW DARE THEY CONFUSE THE POOR INNOCENT VIEWERS SO :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »
^ "OH NOES A FANTASY WITHOUT CLEAR STEREOTYPES, WHATEVER SHALL I DO?!"

Stupid woman probably couldn't keep up with a story that has more characters than she can count with the fingers on her hand.

The thing I find funny about views on fantasy is that it's deemed to be entirely masculine and only men can enjoy it. But how is that the case when the archetype people have about guys who enjoy fantasy/sci-fi is that they're viewed as being less masculine for liking it and not being out there being the quarterback of the football team or something? It's a stupid stereotype up there with 'Video games are bad for you because they're video games hurr durr'

Online Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
I'm not familiar with the books (yet, at least...) so I probably won't be reading this thread too closely, just in case... :P

But I just watched the first episode of the tv show... twice. I love it, I'm intrigued to bits by the plot. Wonderful acting, setting... can't wait for next week.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »
Yeh man! Glad to hear it. It is an awesome book so far.

The JPH!P GOT viewing party watched the first episode a short while ago. Here's a few excerpts on the finer details that was discussed:

<twissie> hahah the beard wtf
<twissie> XDDD
<Tuffty> Now that is an epic beard
<shirenu> haha

<Amplifier> why is boromir in this dump :(

<Amplifier> nice soft baby direwolf cloak..

<shirenu> WHERE'S THE IMP
<shirenu> I WANT TO KNOW TOO

<shirenu> YOU WHORE
<Amplifier> boobs
<shirenu> HAHHAAHAH
<twissie> ....
<Tuffty> Wow
<shirenu> BRO HELPING HIS BRO OUT

On the introduction of Viserys and Daenerys

<twissie> omg yaaaay
<shirenu> ^______^
<twissie> aaaah h
<twissie> hsfhakshdfjkas

<Tuffty> She is gorgeous
<shirenu> :D
<Amplifier> coulda picked a prettier boy to match her :(

<shirenu> a little bit too whorey tyrion, tho i understand it, and yeah i know he's a little whore
<shirenu> but um
<shirenu> lalala
<shirenu> (jealous)

First episode was awesome. Seems pretty faithful to the book, noticed a few changes here and there but ultimately they're minor and didn't affect the plot dramatically.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:51:53 PM »
HEELLZ YEAH XD

Could've done without the Tyrion BJ scene, but otherwise awesome!! WAhhhh.

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 06:00:43 AM »
didn't make it to the viewing party, but loved the first episode.
good thing I got this dvr'd because I don't know if I'll be in the hotel room to watch, Daigon'll have me out till all hours partying it up @ Sakura-con.
Although we found out laast year that sunday + easter = dead downtown
Hopefull that bar will be hosting con staff and guests so we can crash the party there again.
Life is one time.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Having watched the 1st episode again (in HD! HD Boobs!) it made me appreciate just how awesome that opening title sequence is.

And good news is that after one episode, HBO have confirmed a second series is in the works

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
I just finished reading the book. All I'll say is, the praise is well merited. One of the best novels I've read in some time and I've already placed an order for the second one. If the TV series follows the book closely which it appears to have done, then there's no doubt in my mind things will get incredibly epic.

Online Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41:05 AM »

:3

That is all.   *jumps out of the window dodging spoilers all the way down*

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 01:08:51 AM »
The casting has proved to be excellent so far. Cersei is wonderfully bitchy, Sansa perfectly bratty and Syrio fantastically flamboyant :lol:

As mentioned in the IRC viewing party though, a distinct lack of boobs (aside from one instance) this episode. :o

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »

Game of Thrones BAFTA 2011 panel. Sean Bean (Ned Stark), Gemma Jackson (Production Designer), Harry Lloyd (Viseyris), and Mark Addy (King Robert) are in it. Great watch.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:53 PM »
^

SPOILER:

Funny they ended up having all the actors whose characters dadidadado in the first book

/SPOILER

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »
I hadn't really been following but they were talking about it a lot and had one of the actors on the Yogpod and were doing [noembed][/noembed] and what not so I watched the first few episodes really enjoying it so far.  :) My favorite is the dwarf prince. That actor is really great and I like the anti hero vibe. HBO miniseries have a great pedigree so hopefully it will keep it up.  :thumbsup

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
^The dwarf is only a lord and not a prince, but YES!! TYRION LANNISTER!! aka my husband

So glad that you're enjoying it ^___________________________^

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
Awesome series. I havent read the books, but my friend, who has read most of the books, says its very close.

Imp guy is cool, dragon guy is an ass. I lol'd when he got the whip to the neck :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 11:44:40 PM »
Most of here can testify to what your friend has said. It's very close to the events in the book, sometimes the dialogue is even lifted from the book, word for word. The latest episode contains the most original scenes that aren't found in the book, but it's a testament to the writers and producers that the new scenes don't feel out of place at all. Some of them are there for exposition (Like Tyrion's discussion with Theon Greyjoy or Sansa's history pop quiz) that you could only ever find in the book, which is understandable, but some go some way to better explore the characters (Jon's conversation with Sam while cleaning the mess hall) probably because it's a lot easier to write out what the characters are thinking in the books, but not so easy on TV.

The only complaint I see from most people is that there's not enough time given to the direwolves :nervous It's understandable, they're meant to be bigger than most wolves at the time so I imagine the filming logistics of getting a wolf to behave whilst the actors are doing their thing, or even the CGI costs to make them slightly bigger in size would be just unnecessary. I'm not fussed. In fact, you know that when you do see them, it just makes it that much more awesome.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:54:00 PM by Tuffty »

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
Tyrion kindness MELTS MY HEART

Men, this is how it's done.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: X21 - Dear. Darlin`