JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Gips

Author Topic: Watchmen (2009)  (Read 10002 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Watchmen (2009)
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 09:31:45 PM by Masa »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Re: Watchmen (2009)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:02:58 PM »
I wish I followed Watchmen...

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:22 PM »
i have the graphic novel neat stuff. but i think its going to fail in the box office, unless they change shitload of shit off the book. Ur normal moviegoer would not withstand the epicness of the book.  :lol:

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »
I'm definitely watching this one..love the Smashing Pumpkins music used for the trailer!

I read some of the graphic novel yesterday..gotta wonder how they'll make the movie work?

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 05:29:18 AM »
I think people who don't know about the books, much less followed them, are going to have a 'harder' time getting everything, in general - but it'll still be entertaining, either way. Loved the trailer  :heart:

Offline haptic

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 06:16:21 AM »
Finally some comic book justice! (if its good)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:01 AM »
By the way, anyone know what version of the Smashing Pumpkin's song that is on the trailer?

I only have the one from the Batman movie XD

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:00:51 AM »
It's one of the most widely read and critically acclaimed graphic novels in history. And now after two decades of wrangling, Watchmen is coming to the big screen from director Zack Snyder, who adapted Frank Miller's bloody 300 into a box-office smash. But for fans of the book who have read the dark and complex book over and over -- and I include myself in that category -- the job of condensing the sprawling epic into a two-hour movie seemed to be impossible.
I was invited on Wednesday to a screening of over twenty minutes of footage from "Watchmen," and I have to say that it looks like Snyder has done the impossible. The scenes had some unfinished visual effects and temporary music, but already I was able to get a sense of the energy and uncompromising dedication to the original text that Snyder is bringing to the film.
We were first shown the opening twelve minutes of the movie, which begins with the attack on the Comedian (Jeffery Dean Morgan). In the comics, this scene is only ever presented in flashbacks, but here it is a brutal fistfight that leads up to a breathtaking shot following the Comedian as he's tossed out the window of his high-rise. The action here is reminiscent of the slow-to-fast motion of the fight scenes in "300," but the setting feels more tangible, since it was shot on sets and not entirely in front of green screens.
This leads into the opening credits sequence that retells the history of the book's alternate universe from the '30s through the '70s, set to Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'." Avid fans will spot countless references to images and events from the book, but newcomers will quickly get a sense of the world where superheroes not only exist but directly impact major historical events.
We saw two more scenes from later in the film. First they showed the origin of Dr. Manhattan (Billy Crudup), a physicist transformed in an accident into a blue-skinned superman who manipulates matter with a wave of his hand. Then we saw the prison break scene where costumed heroes Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson) and Silk Spectre (Malin Ackerman) bust out their comrade Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley). It's obvious from the footage we saw that the filmmakers are delivering an R-rated, adult movie that is not going to soften the novel's violent, sexual, or political content.
I asked Snyder after the screening what reactions he has received from people who haven't read the book. He said he has shown the film to people who don't know the novel and they have been able to follow the story and get a feel for the movie's twisted reality. He also said that for the first time as a filmmaker he wishes he could forget his whole history with the project and watch the movie with fresh eyes.
Snyder said that currently the film's running time is at two hours and forty-five minutes, but a later DVD edition will expand it with the addition of an animated story-within-the-story. We'll have to wait until March 6th to see the full film, but you can get a sense of its dark tone and stunning visuals in the trailer below.

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

I've read the GN and seen Snyder's past work.  If it is as true to the book as on film, it will make people forget about The Dark Knight.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 04:07:54 PM »
Seeing the trailer a couple more times in the cinemas is making me even more keen for this to come out already :heart:

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »
By the way, anyone know what version of the Smashing Pumpkin's song that is on the trailer?

I only have the one from the Batman movie XD
The Beginning is the End is the Beginning..I have that song and it's awesome! it's off the Batman and Robin soundtrack(horrible movie)

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 12:33:48 PM »

I only have the one from the Batman movie
The Beginning is the End is the Beginning..I have that song and it's awesome! it's off the Batman and Robin soundtrack(horrible movie)

Yeah, I just said I have that version of the song XD I mean, are they using a different version for this movie because it sounds slower?

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »
yep, it is..it's better of the two

there was another song from the soundtrack by SP called The End is the Beginning of the End..it's not that good :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 07:48:16 AM »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:51 AM »
Dr. Manhattan is like freaking god dude. I'm still kinda pissed when he killed ................ with a snap of his fingers  :lol:

.............. is the shit. He was one of my favourite character in the book.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »

Trailer #2
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:22:08 AM by Masa »

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 09:08:21 AM »
Breaking News: Judge Says Fox Owns Rights to Watchmen!

This may have just become the worst Christmas eve in history. The New York Times is reporting tonight that a federal judge in Los Angeles made a decision last Wednesday in favor of 20th Century Fox's claim that it owned the distribution rights to the upcoming Watchmen movie. As we all know, Fox first filed a claim against Warner Brothers in February but it didn't go through until August this year. Initially, the judge said that the issue at hand could only be settled at a trial, which was scheduled for early January. On Wednesday, however, the judge reconsidered and concluded "that Fox should prevail on crucial issues."

Judge Feess said in a ruling that, "Fox owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute the Watchmen motion picture." Don't exactly flip out just yet, however, as this is not the immediate end to this rather ridiculous story. The judge also said that, "the parties may wish to turn their efforts from preparing for trial to negotiating a resolution of this dispute or positioning the case for review." As in, the two studios must figure out an agreement or else file an appeal to his decision. Considering I'm sure Warner Brothers wants to keep things on track for a March 6th, 2009 release, they most likely won't file for an appeal, as I'm sure it wouldn't even be up for review until after that date.

This is as good of time as any to reiterate that Fox is one of the worst studios in Hollywood, with my recent article on Taken being just one example of their stubbornness. I've said it before and I'll say it again, regardless of who literally does own the rights, this movie would never have gotten to the point that it is at without the support of Warner Brothers. Zack Snyder wouldn't have had the chance to make the movie that he did without their support. I hope they can work out some sort of behind-the-scenes deal with Fox, because I do not want to see this movie ruined. Stay tuned for updates on all of this as they arrive!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/24/breaking-news-judge-says-fox-owns-rights-to-watchmen/

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 12:42:48 AM »
FOX better not edit it to a PG.  Fuck that!!!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2009, 06:41:41 AM »
Warner Brothers and Fox Peacefully Settle Over Watchmen!

It all began on August 18th and finally came to a conclusion today, January 15th. Warner Brothers and Fox have settled over the Watchmen legal case that reached its pinnacle on Christmas Eve when Judge Gary A. Feess stated that Fox "owns a copyright interest consisting of, at the very least, the right to distribute." After meeting for weeks, the two movie studios have settled and Warner Brothers will still be releasing the film on March 6th as planned. Fox will receive a "sizable cash payment" as well as a percentage of the film's box office take. Fox will not be a co-distributor nor will it own a piece of the Watchmen property.

Thankfully this legal battle has ended peacefully and all the fans will get to see Watchmen on March 6th as planned. We were always hoping all along that this would end this way and I'm glad that it did. As much as I could argue about Fox getting money that they don't deserve, at this point it's great to see it end up this way. I think more than anything, producer Lloyd Levin made the most important statement regarding this legal battle and I the most I can do is point you towards that letter yet again. It's time to forget about the legalities and just get ready to enjoy Watchmen in just over 50 more days! Rejoice geeks, it's coming!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/15/warner-brothers-and-fox-peacefully-settle-over-watchmen/

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
awesome. i think fox couldnt do anything more after the fans unleashed a shit storm on them haha

JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Gips