JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mo`some Tonebender - Party wa Tsuzuku yo

Author Topic: Official X-Men Thread  (Read 39852 times)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
Official X-Men Thread
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »
The Intro
Created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby, the X-Men first appeared on the pages of Marvel Comics in September of 1963 (45th Anniversary!) under the title Uncanny X-Men. The X-Men are mutants born with the X gene, granting them various powers, abilities, and/or physical mutations that usually manifest at puberty. Normal humans are generally showed to fear and/or dislike mutants, despite the scientific world holding those with the X gene to be the next step in human evolution.

The original team was brought together by Professor Charles Xavier (AKA Prof. X), a mutant himself, to train at a private academy designed to help young mutants control their abilities and come to terms with their status, and ultimately to protect the world from evil mutants and various other threats.

For 45 years the X-Men have been amongst the forefront of Marvel Comics most popular titles, spawning numerous video games, television series, movies, books, action figures, and more.

Member Information
Original Team
*Angel
*Beast
*Cyclops
*Iceman
*Marvel Girl (Jean Grey)
*Professor X

1960's additions
*Changeling
*Havok
*Mimic
*Polaris

Secret Team (through retroactive continuity)
*Darwin
*Petra
*Sway
*Vulcan

1970's additions
*Banshee
*Colossus
*Nightcrawler
*Storm
*Sunfire
*Thunderbird (John Proudstar)
*Wolverine

1980's additions
*Dazzler
*Forge
*Lockheed
*Longshot
*Magneto
*Marvel Girl (Rachel Summers)
*Psylocke
*Rogue
*Shadowcat

1990's additions
*Bishop
*Cannonball
*Cecilia Reyes
*Gambit
*Joseph
*Jubilee
*Maggot
*Marrow
*Revanche
*X-Man

2000's additions
*Armor
*Boom Boom
*Cable
*Caliban
*Chamber
*Hepzibah
*Husk
*Juggernaut
*Lifegaurd
*Moonstar
*Northstar
*Omega Sentinel
*Pixie
*Sage
*Shen Xorn
*Slipstream
*Stacy X
*Thunderbird (Neal Shaara)
*Warpath
*White Queen

Allies & Honorary Members
*Candy Southern
*Deadpool
*Dragon Man
*Energizer
*Gateway
*Goblin Queen
*Korvus
*M
*Machine Man
*Magma
*Medusa
*Moira MacTaggert
*Ms. Marvel
*Multiple Man
*Pulse
*Quicksilver
*Red Lotus
*Vange Whedon

Affiliate Teams
*Excalibur
*Generation X
*New Mutants
*X-Corporation
*X-Factor
*X-Force
*X-Statix

Comic Information
Core series
*Astonishing X-Men
*Uncanny X-Men
*X-Factor
*X-Force
*X-Men: Legacy
*Young X-Men

Secondary Titles
*Cable
*Deadpool
*Wolverine
*Wolverine: First Class
*Wovlerine: Origins
*X-Men: First Class

Alternate Universe titles
*New Exiles
*Ultimate X-Men

Past Series
*Cable & Deadpool
*Excalibur
*Exiles
*Generation X
*Giant Size X-Men
*New Mutants
*New Excalibur
*New X-Men
*X-Men: The Hidden Years
*X-Men Unlimited
*X-treme X-Men
*X-Statix

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, there was no X-Men thread, surprisingly, so I made this one. Does anyone else read (any of) the comics? Just love the movies? Remember the old cartoon from the 90s? I've loved the X-Men since I was a kid and still have my vast collection of trading cards lol. I just recently got back into reading the comics, which I haven't done since I was in grade school prolly. It can be hard to get into the comics if you've never really had any prior exposure to them, or if you've been gone a while, but maybe I can help you get back into them or fill in some info you don't know! Also, the wiki and comicvine are also great sources of information.

Anyway, just wanted to share my love of one of the best superhero teams around with the other geeks. I KNOW there's gotta be some other fans out there! Post here and talk about your favorite characters, favorite stories, current X-Men affairs, and just basically ANYTHING X-MEN!!

(I'll post some real talk after some other contribute)

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official X-Men Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:45:52 AM »
I'm definitely an X-Men fan, been one for years.
Top favorite character gotta be the 'Ol Canucklehead' himself, Wolverine, followed by the maniac Merc With A Mouth Wadey Wilson, aka Deadpool. :P

There's a new X-Men cartoon called "Wolverine and the X-Men", thats already started, but won't be shown here in the U.S. until the start of next year, IIRC.

But, that's why we's gots teh intrawebz... I've already downloaded the first ep, just haven't watched it yet.

Also, there's a new X-Force v3 series that started this year, with 6 issues so far.
Not to be confused with the first X-Force comic that was Cable and Co.
The new series has Wolverine, X-23 (a Wolverine clone who's female), Warpath, and Wolfsbane.

It's a darker series, with this new X-Force actually being setup by Cyclops to take out their enemies, true wetworks style.

I'm most definitely waiting for the new Deadpool series to start, to see ol' 'Pool in all his maniac, motormouth, wisecracking  craziness. :lol:
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 03:50:00 AM »
I found out about them in the Marvel trading cards in the 90's and then I started reading the comics, although not faithfully. I still remember buying the issue where Scott and Jean got married. XD

Their early uniforms were meh

Jim Lee's designs can be considered the definitive X-men uniform, the one also used in the cartoon and the Capcom fighting games.

My ideal lineup would be identical to the team featured in the cartoon or a combination of the Blue and Gold Teams. I don't know the real score, probably to boost sales, but I got a bit confused when the team got split into two. I mean, why'd you have to divide one of the strongest teams in the Marvel universe when almost half of the population are mutants. Why not make a new team and just send two of the veterans to mentor them.

The X-Men's rogue gallery has some of the baddest names in the Marvel universe. Magneto, Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister, Juggernaut, Sabertooth, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, the government,to name a few. There are times when they almost score one against them, but the X-Men still finds ways to win.

I have yet to read the earlier arcs such as the Dark Phoenix Saga, X-cutioner's song, and the more recent ones like House of M and Messiah Complex, that are vital to the continuity of the X-Men mythos. Gotta find those torrents. XD

I still consider Jean, Psylocke and Rogue some of the hottest comic book babes. Ever.  :grin:

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:11:50 AM »
When I was a kid I used to collect the cards, play the games, and collect the toys, but I never read the comic much. I had a few issues I would buy real cheap, but I barely read them. I just looked at the drawings. I didn't start reading until about high school for a bit but lost interest in about a year. I don't remember who my favorite character was, probably Rogue cause I thought she was hot. I only know a little bit about a few characters. I just like when good artists draw them.

By one of my favorite artists, Tim Sale.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:45:22 AM »
werd up on the new x-force L, i'm really diggin it. lovin the darkness to it x23 is one of my favs lol. I heard about the new animated series, but hadnt seen anything on it yet. ill look for a torrent to check it out or smth.

words, i can hook you up with messiah complex if you want it (i unrar all my cbr and cbz files though, if thats a problem... i just prefer reading in pic/fax viewer). As for the split, they did that cus the team was too hueg lol. so blue rolled in x-men while gold team took the pages of uncanny x-men. and fucken werd on jim lee, his art for x-men is iconic.

my favorite char has always been Gambit. motherfucker is just such a pimp! Also really dig Iceman. Rogue was always my favorite X-Chick, followed very closely by Jubilee and Kitty Pride. and fuckin jubilee is an Omega level mutant, man.

So is anyone else reading current issues/storylines?

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »
The only current ones I keep up with are the new X-Force, Wolverine: Origins, Cable's new one, and Wolverine: First Class.

I've also read that 3 issue mini of Wolverine's when he's regained all of his memories.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:35:51 AM »
lol wolvie first class and wolvie origins are the only two i'm NOT reading

cable's new book is pretty sweet, really diggin the art on it

also can't wait for 'pool's new book, starts this week actually

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:45:19 AM »
I used to watch the cartoon series back in the 90s(the one where I think the first episode was Jubilee joining..dunno if there was a series before then)
I loved it, until they all got that green skin puss disease thing...that completely freaked younger me out.  I had to stop watching it because of that.  I think I tried to start watching it again hoping I missed those episodes and I may have done but I don't remember so well now.

Never read the comics though, it's on my list of comics must read at somepoint in lifetime lol.

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:07:03 AM »
I don't really read comics, couldn't buy them when I was younger. But I loved the cartoon. I've watched probably most of it except towards the end when the art started getting really shitty and I think some of the voices changed, couldn't remember.

Only problem was that Psylocke wasn't one of them and I always thought she was hot. :P

And speaking of hot Psylocke, there was a really hot Psylocke cosplayer at Comic-con this year.

I also liked the movies.

And I do know quite a lot about characters and stuff from outside the cartoon and movies for someone who doesn't read comics, but I can't even remember how. :lol:

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
I think I was pretty much into every X-Men medium except the comics. I have thought of picking up a series, but the way its grown now is so big I wouldn't even know where to start. I was really into the cartoon. The series with the team re-imagined as teens was also decent. Has anyone seen the old anime that was made? I haven't seen it, but it looked pretty awesome from the intro. I've also heard of some new manga or anime adaptations planned.

I was also into the movies, and had quite a number of trading cards. The games were good.. even though I used Capcom characters most of the time. And of course, the badass action figures.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:32:37 AM »
Oh yeah the newer X-men cartoon! That was awesome too!

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »
watched the first ep of the newest cartoon, Wolverine and the X-Men. it was pretty cool, has some promise. the original series from the early 90s is still the best though lol

and yeah, x-men is one of the marvel franchises that will be getting an anime series pretty soon. that should be interesting

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 03:35:16 AM »
Found the first issue of Deadpool's new series. :w00t:

Downloading it now. :D
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 03:39:51 AM »
^ not gonna spoil you L, but the 1st ish of DP is full of lolz  :lol:

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 04:04:48 AM »
werd, DPs new series is off to a good start.

anyone ever read the X-Men: The End limited from a few years ago? if you haven't, I highly reccomend it. it so fucking epic.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:51 PM »
^ not gonna spoil you L, but the 1st ish of DP is full of lolz  :lol:
Most definitely, thats expected and was delivered. XD
'Pool's too much fun. :lol:

Yeah, I think I've read that one, ten, I'm pretty sure I have it, just gotta check to be certain.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
i was watching the second episode of the new animated series last night, and i realized that all the female characters have HUEG breasts. i mean, i know its standard for any animated female over the age of 13 to have ginormous breasts, but i just think its funny when in a show pretty much designed for children, airing on YTV in canada, and will most likely air on like fox kids or kids WB saturday morning blocks here in the US. I could understand better if the art was all super nice or something... just a lol when i was watching and was like 'jeez, whats with domino's epic cleavage?'

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
^
I watched that ep a lil while ago, and yep, Dom's cleavage was most definitely popping.
Marvel female characters tend to be like in the comics, but guess they're trying to stay close to the comics form for the womens. ;)
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 11:11:18 PM »
Definitely grabbed Deadpool yesterday. It was pretty sweet. I'm glad he has his own series as opposed to Cable and Deadpool (I was never really a fan of Cable... at all). I still wonder how he's going to work in the Wolverine Origins movie though. It will be interesting to see.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
lol at ryan reynolds playing pool in the origins movie. i like him, but im not sure hes right for pool? im really lookin forward to Gambit, FINALLY

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mo`some Tonebender - Party wa Tsuzuku yo