JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kou Shibasaki - Kage

Author Topic: (Band) SCANDAL  (Read 402019 times)

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
Re: (Band) SCANDAL
« Reply #960 on: September 29, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
there are some great pics of the Yoyogi gig on facebook. 99 pics in all.

Offline SPIM

• Member+
  • Man In Black
    • MibIH
    • lee.relph
    • lee_in_black
« Reply #961 on: October 03, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Album sales info re-routed from FB:

SCANDAL has scored a great #4 on the Oricon charts this week, for their latest album effort, “Queens are Trumps ~Kirifuda wa Queens~”. Selling a total of 35,424 copies in the week, this is SCANDAL’s 2nd best-selling original album, just a little short of “BABY ACTION”. Facing tough competition this week against artists such as Yamashita Tatsuro, Superfly and even American rock band, Green Day, SCANDAL’s album has still performed very well.

This achievement also makes SCANDAL the only girl-band ever to have all 4 albums in the top 5 ranking of the Oricon charts since their debut. This record was previously held by the 90s band Pink Sapphire, who have 3 albums in the Top 5 since their debut. スキャンダルの皆さんおめでとう〜!

Below are the total first-week sales for all of SCANDAL’s albums:

BEST☆SCANDAL: First-week debut position #5, 28,772 copies sold
TEMPTATION BOX: First-week debut position #3, 34,946 copies sold
BABY ACTION: First-week debut position #3, 37,803 copies sold
Queens are Trumps ~Kirifuda wa Queen~: First-week debut position #4, 35,424 copies sold
SCANDAL SHOW (not counted as this is a compilation album): First-week debut position #3, 42,246 copies sold

:twothumbs

Visit my Anime/movie/WWE review blog: MIB's Instant Headache

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #962 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »
Scandal are the perfect band. From Rina, the best female drummer in the world, to Mami's fantastic guitar playing, to Haruna's vocals, and Tomomi's brilliant song writing.
Long may they reign, the queens of rock.

Offline yupyupyup

• Tomo's Stalker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #963 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:23 AM »
Just received my PB-edtion Queen Are Trumps today. Didn't win anything from the CDJapan drawing though. Darn, as much as I like this new album, I found some disappointments:
- The whole Harukaze regular-edition single was jammed into this album.
- Photobook-wise, Baby Action was a better release. There are tons of photos in QAT but those photos from the Budokan show were not the best of SCANDAL.
- Biggest disappointment of all: decline of SCANDAL contribution in the album, lyric-wise. 12 songs and only 7 of them have SCANDAL involvement in the lyric (BA was 9/12, while Temptation Box was 11/12, Best Scandal was 13/13  :O)

I hope they are not drifting too far into the whole idol thing

Offline nori

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #964 on: October 06, 2012, 02:06:23 AM »
- The whole Harukaze regular-edition single was jammed into this album.

What do you mean? The Harukaze regular edition only had Harukaze on it  (or is that the joke) :?

- Biggest disappointment of all: decline of SCANDAL contribution in the album, lyric-wise. 12 songs and only 7 of them have SCANDAL involvement in the lyric (BA was 9/12, while Temptation Box was 11/12, Best Scandal was 13/13  :O)

I hope they are not drifting too far into the whole idol thing

I agree that the 7 out of 12 is a bit low :( but it shows that other people are interested and want to work with them so it's a good thing as well  :)

Also I think people are over reacting about Scandal becoming idols, Yume Miru Tsubasa or Space Ranger aren't that much different from their new songs and no one was saying they were like idols back then.

Offline yupyupyup

• Tomo's Stalker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #965 on: October 06, 2012, 02:51:53 AM »
Oooops, my bad... fast finger! I meant the "Taiyou Scandalous"  :nervous

For the idol comment, well, I don't really complain. I just hope they don't spend all the time and energy to tour, pump out CDs, do promotion, and just let other people do all the music writing for them. I love SCANDAL for their looks ( :nervous ), them playing their own instruments and contributing in creating the songs they perform. I was really impressed with most lyric of SCANDAL songs being written by Tomomi. No matter how girly it was, it's still something unique about SCANDAL. I thought they would venture further into creating their own music after seeing "Very Special - Lyric: Tomomi, Music: Rina- Tomomi" in Baby Action  :w00t: It was very cool. That'd have been the growth I wanted to see in their later release. But the "Queen Are Trumps" is obviously a step backward from Baby Action. The songs they perform are still catchy and easy to listen to, but I just wish they have been more "Scandalous".  :theking
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 05:14:35 AM by yupyupyup »

Offline SPIM

• Member+
  • Man In Black
    • MibIH
    • lee.relph
    • lee_in_black
« Reply #966 on: October 06, 2012, 05:45:14 PM »
I think the reliance on outside writers is so they can get the music out on a regular basis.  Aside from lyrics, the girls aren't hugely prolific songwriters and they've put out four albums in four years, which in order to do so meant having songs ready for them to record to cut down studio time.

If they were more experienced songwriters like other bands, this wouldn't be an issue. I know that the music scene is fast moving and no-one wants to be forgotten but  there is also the danger of burning out too quickly. I think after four albums and six years of non-stop touring and recording, the girls can afford to take a long break, catch their breath, learn the craft of song writing and then come back with an album of self penned material. They've earned it.

In the meantime here is a large pic of the girls:

Visit my Anime/movie/WWE review blog: MIB's Instant Headache

Offline Azagrath

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #967 on: October 06, 2012, 05:53:07 PM »
Baby Action was definately a darker album. I was kinda surprised at the light and fun vibe QAT has, but personally I've given up on them being a very "hardcore" rock band. As long as they keep changing things up and don't get stuck for too long in one place, I'm cool with it. They've yet to release a single I didn't like.

QAT has really grown on me lately, and is now in first place among their albums. My only complaint is still that Kill The Virgin has no business being on an official album, but it has such a nice and sweet melody that I find myself actually liking it.  :roll:

Offline nori

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #968 on: October 06, 2012, 06:34:01 PM »
Baby Action was definately a darker album. I was kinda surprised at the light and fun vibe QAT has, but personally I've given up on them being a very "hardcore" rock band. As long as they keep changing things up and don't get stuck for too long in one place, I'm cool with it. They've yet to release a single I didn't like.

I don't think Baby Action was that much darker than QAT, I think the title track is easily darker than anything in BA, it's just that QAT's all the released singles in the album are non-"hardcore" rock also Kill the Virgin is so different from anything they have ever done.
If your talking about a "hardcore" album then Best Scandal probably has the most rock style songs, Yume Miru Tsubasa and Space Ranger are the only songs that I would consider not having a huge rock vibe in that album.

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #969 on: October 06, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
went by train to London today, it gave me the chance to listen to Queens Are Trumps on my mp3 player. which is the first time i've had time to listen to it properly.
i think the best tracks are 'Bright' and 'Right Here', followed by 'Koe', 'Rising Star' and 'Queens Are Trumps'.
also i have to agree with most of the other comments 'Kill The Virgin' is not very good.
but over all it's a good album. can't wait to see the girls perform the songs live.

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #970 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »
!
check this out, Pin Heel Surfer live

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #971 on: October 19, 2012, 12:39:58 AM »
it's a year this week since i first heard Scandal, and i still love listening too them as much as i did twelve months ago.
that's unusual for me, because normally when i get into a new band, i listen to them for five or six months, then my interest drops off a bit. But with Scandal that hasn't happened. i just don't get tired of listening to the same songs, such as Doll, Scandal Baby and others. plus they come out with new songs on a regular basis, which is great.
here's to listening to them for another year.

Offline yupyupyup

• Tomo's Stalker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2012, 06:59:10 AM »
Found this iso
HALLOWEEN JUNKY ORCHESTRA - HALLOWEEN PARTY
http://jpfiles.blog138.fc2.com/blog-entry-3653.html

Rina and Kanon Wakeshima were almost unnoticeable. If Tomomi was in one of their roles, it'd have been epic  :thumbup

Offline yupyupyup

• Tomo's Stalker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #973 on: November 13, 2012, 04:04:49 AM »
Anyone checks out "How Crazy" performed by SCANDAL in YUI's tribute album "She Loves You" yet? It's goooooodddddd!!!!  :thumbsup

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #974 on: November 13, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »
just listened to 'How Crazy' on youtube. it is good.

Offline nori

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #975 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:34 AM »
Here's the cover of "How Crazy" that yupyupyup-san was talking about

Offline spec8

• Member+
« Reply #976 on: November 24, 2012, 04:39:34 PM »

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #977 on: November 25, 2012, 06:11:49 PM »
spec8, thanks for posting. this is brilliant, both in sound and picture quality.

Offline spec8

• Member+
« Reply #978 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
^ Sure thing, mate.  :thumbup

Edit:
Someone decided to hard sub the videos.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:34:00 PM by spec8 »

Offline stonebridge

• Member+
« Reply #979 on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
][/img][/img]
Some pics from Scandal live in Malaysia. there are more on facebook
Sorry i still can't work out how to post pictures.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:58:26 PM by stonebridge »

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kou Shibasaki - Kage