JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: LMF - Hum Gah Ling

Author Topic: RIP John Wooden  (Read 4217 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
RIP John Wooden
« on: June 05, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »
John Wooden, Who Built Incomparable Dynasty at U.C.L.A., Dies at 99

Wooden borrowed from others to construct his Pyramid of Success, which has become his legacy almost as much as his coaching victories.

John Wooden, a staid Midwesterner who migrated to U.C.L.A. and became college basketball’s most successful coach, earning the nickname the Wizard of Westwood and an enduring place in sports history, died Friday at Ronald Reagan U.C.L.A. Medical Center, where he had been hospitalized since May 26. He was 99.

His death was announced by the university.

Wooden created a sports dynasty against which all others are compared, and usually pale. His teams at U.C.L.A. won 10 national championships in a 12-season stretch from 1964 to 1975. From 1971 to 1974, U.C.L.A. won 88 consecutive games, still the N.C.A.A. record.

Must read books that really influenced my life, the structure of how to be a leader, how to be a MAN:
On Leadership
Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success Playbook

known for his 10 Rules to Live By

1. 1 Corinthians 13. (This Bible chapter addresses the importance of charity – love – and ends with the verse, “And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.”)
2. Make each day your masterpiece.
3. Drink deeply from good books.
4. Freedom from desire leads to inner peace (Lao-Tzu).
5. Failure to prepare is preparing to fail. I will get ready and then, perhaps, my chance will come.
6. Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there (Abraham Lincoln).
7. Help others.
8. It is better to trust and be disappointed occasionally than to distrust and be miserable all the time.
9. Almost anyone can stand adversity, but to test a person’s character, give them power (Abraham Lincoln).
10. Be more interested in your character, which is what is what you really are, than in your reputation, which is what others perceive you to be.

Peep his official site: http://www.coachwooden.com/

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: RIP John Wooden
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »
wooden is probably the best ever, no one person i think will ever beat his mentality, and he has created a lot of great players.  Also, A lot of better people

You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one.
Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.

His pyramid is a great thing to look into and understanding, so RIP Coach Wooden and we shall take your quotes to heart
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
Rest in Peace Coach Wooden. I will try my best to apply your rules to my life.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:11:45 AM »
RIP

I still remember my dad telling me stories of basketball in the 60s and 70s. Michigan and Cazzie Russell loosing to UCLA and Indiana in the championship games ect. Wooden was a legend among legends. Nobody will ever match what he was able to do at UCLA (didn't hurt he was able to recruit and load up with some of the greatest college basketball players of all time). Gotta love some of his "Woodenisms" too.

"Be quick but don't hurry"
"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail"
"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:00:59 AM »
^ so simple, yet so true. Woodisms helped me where I am today  :pimp:

Great tribute just a moment ago before the Lakers Celtics game.

Coaching some of the best players ever, what an amazing run that can't be beat!!

Bill Walton on Wooden: "His happiness came from the successes of others, especially within the team concept."

In December of 2003, UCLA honored Coach Wooden and his late wife Nell by naming the court in Pauley Pavilion Nell and John Wooden Court. The two were married for 53 years before Nell passed away in 1985.

JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: LMF - Hum Gah Ling