JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - Alterna

Author Topic: [CHI] Johnnie To Kei-Fung 杜琪峯  (Read 24874 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] Johnnie To Kei-Fung 杜琪峯
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:46:03 AM »
Johnnie To Kei-Fung 杜琪峯

One of Hong Kong's most acclaimed yet unheralded directors!! You know his style, of course he came through TVB :lol:

He's directed the full range from Stephen Chow slapstick classics like "Justice My Foot!" to romcom's like Andy Lau's "Needing You..." "Love on a Diet" to thrillers like "Fulltime Killer" "Triangle" "The Longest Nite" "Election" and "PTU"

Johnnie To Kei-Fung, born 22 April, 1955, is a Hong Kong filmmaker and producer.

His films, often made in collaboration with the same group of actors, screenwriters and cinematographers, frequently explore themes of friendship, fate and the changing face of Hong Kong society. Sometimes described as "multifaceted and chameleonic" due to his ability to switch tones and genres between movies, To is nonetheless seen as having a consistent style, which involves mixing subdued realism and social observation with highly stylized visual and acting elements.

To heads the Hong Kong-based production company Milkyway Image with his frequent co-director Wai Ka-Fai.

Born 22 April 1955 (1955-04-22) Hong Kong

Links
IMDB
Wikipedia
Filmography @ Lovehkfilm.com

Which actor does he think is nice??
杜琪峯踩華仔有時唔 Nice

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [CHI] Johnnie To Kei-Fung 杜琪峯
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:25:26 AM »
One of my favorite directors!

Fulltime Killer - Making Of The Movie Pt 1/3
Fulltime Killer - Making Of The Movie Pt 2/3
Fulltime Killer - Making Of The Movie Pt 3/3

Fulltime Killer, Exiled and Election 1 & 2 are all classics :yep:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 09:54:01 AM »
YEAH Boy! Been getting my hands on some more movies. Like "THROWDOWN" wow whatta concept.
THROWDOWN (2004) Trailer

and I love Cherrie Ying <333
Throw down-2004-Johnnie To

here's a pic of him with Lau Ching-wan, of Running out of Time and Mad Detective

gotta still watch Exiled. Need The Mission. GANGSTA AS FUCK!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 01:46:40 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:30 AM »
copped The Mission (1999)

IT'S AT THE ASSHOLE!!!

You have like every actor he's worked with, Simon Yam, Francis Ng, Roy Cheung, etc. etc.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:29:01 AM »
hey!! if you love Andy Lau or Lau Ching Wan, you gotta see this cat & mouse thriller. FUCKING GENIUS!!

Running Out of Time (1999)

DISCUSS

DOWNLOAD @ The Asshole

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:49 AM »
Here's a few of the projects he's been up to:

單身男女 Dont Go Breaking My Heart

Release Date: 2011
Genre: Romance

Starring: Louis Koo, Daniel Wu, Gao Yuanyuan

Set in the financial district, love ensues!

Enough of that nonsense, more thrillers, crime drama for 2010  :thumbup

報應 Abduction

Release Date: 2010
Genre: 劇情

Starring:
黃秋生、任賢齊、文詠珊、張可頤、盧巧音、恭碩良
Anthony Wong, Richie Jen, Janice, Zhangke Yi, Candy Lo, Jun Kung
Directed By: 羅永昌
Produced By: 杜琪峰
Plot Outline:
富商王潮生 (黃秋生 飾) 的女兒被綁架了,他懷疑是反叛女兒 (Janice MAN 飾) 自導自演的敲詐把戲,可是變卦驟起,王潮生的一個錯誤決定,引致嚴重後果。痛失女兒的王老闆,委派前任保鏢姚啟初 (任賢齊 飾) 向一眾綁匪展開追查及復仇行動。但正當啟初將綁匪們逐一解決的同時,王潮生自己亦跌入一個萬劫不復的境地...他以為復仇可以懲罰敵人,但到頭來,受報應的卻是他自己。

奪命金 Life Without Principle

Release Date: 2010
Genre: 懸疑

Starring:
劉青雲、任賢齊、何韻詩
Lau Ching-wan, Richie Jen, Denise Ho

source: Media Asia Facebook

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
shooting 單身男女 Dont Go Breaking My Heart has begun.

lol Lam Suet the fat dude is there of course.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
As earlier reported by JPHiP.com's daigong  :pimp:

here's a still and some plot infos

Johnnie To Directs New Romantic Film    
2010-07-22 13:12:24     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: shixisheng

"Single Men and Women", a romantic film co-directed by Hong Kong filmmakers Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fai, is currently filming, Sohu.com reports.

In the film, Daniel Wu, Louis Koo and Gao Yuanyuan are involved in an office love triangle.

Louis Koo portrays a playboy working at a financial firm to whom Gao Yuanyuan is attracted. While enjoying his single life, he insists in being a matchmaker between Gao and an architect played by Daniel Wu. However, he finds himself gradually falling in love with Gao, and determines to win her back.

The film is set for release next year.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:25:34 AM »

^ here's the trailer:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »

cool Johnnie To interview from CNN, preview the new HOCC x Richie Ren x Lau Ching Wan flick "奪命金 Life Without Principle"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
Johnnie To's New Film to Hit Screens on Mar. 31
    2011-02-14 16:50:35     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Duanlei

Director Johnnie To's urban romance film "Single Men and Women" ("Dan Shen Nan Nv") will hit Chinese theaters on March 31. The film has passed the review at the film bureau without any changes being made.

The production company released a special edition poster on Valentine's Day. It features the three leads, Gao Yuanyuan, Daniel Wu and Louis Koo. With Gao Yuanyuan in the middle, Daniel Wu and Louis Koo stand at each side so as to give Gao a kiss. The graphics ask, "Which one will you choose?"

Previous reports have suggested that the story will be a love triangle between one woman and two men.

Although director Johnnie To is famous for his crime and action movies, he has made films in various genres. In 2000 and 2001, he made two other romantic films called "Needing You..." ("Gu Nan Gua Nv") and "Love on a Diet" ("Shou Shen Nan Nv"), both received positive feedback from mainland audiences. This has driven the Hong Kong director to make a third "men and women" themed film targeting the mainland market with mainland actress Gao Yuanyuan in the cast.

Johnnie To explained in an interview with "The Southern Daily" why he returned to make romantic films after 10 years. He said that he and his long-time working partner Wai Ka-Fai thought they have been focusing on their own interest for a long time. They decided to make a film for the audience's taste, something more commercial. And it is easier to get romantic films past the film examiners. The director said since he wanted to enter the mainland market, he had to obey the rules.

As a result, the film might be the first of Johnnie To's work that screens in mainland theaters without any cuts.

Just copped THE STORY OF MY SON 爱的世界   (1990) where Damian Lau is newly widowed and leading an impoverished life with two young sons.

As reported in the Sammi and Louis Koo threads, Media Asia Film Financing, Johnnie, Wai Ka Fai new movie "High Altitude Love II" will travel ShangriPull shot today in Hong Kong in shifts, one director, the cast also take the opportunity to find time to meet with the media!

TOGETHER AGAIN!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:28:17 AM »
Johnnie To's Drama to Open HK Int'l Film Festival
    2011-02-25 09:37:31     Xinhua       Web Editor: Xie Tingting
The 35th Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF) is to be held from March 20 to April 5, the organizer announced Thursday, February 24, 2011.

Gao Yuanyuan in the romantic comedy "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", formerly "Single Men and Women". [Photo: yule.sohu.com]

The 35th Hong Kong International Film Festival (HKIFF) is to be held from March 20 to April 5, the organizer announced Thursday, February 24, 2011.

The Hong Kong International Film Festival Society (HKIFFS) said at a press conference that the movie "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" ("Dan Shen Nan Nv"), directed by Johnnie To and Wai Ka-fai, will kick off the 35th HKIFF. Another opening film named "Quattro Hong Kong 2", is directed by award-winning filmmaker Stanley Kwan and three other directors.

Over 300 films from over 56 countries and regions will be screened at the festival, including 19 world premieres and 35 Asian premieres.

"The theme for this year's festival is 'Let's Meet Here' - an invitation to everyone to take part in Hong Kong's biggest celebration of film, and this year, the HKIFF continues to serve the Hong Kong public by bringing to it the best and the brightest in the contemporary and classical cinema, and the filmmaking community as a major platform to launch their new works," said HKIFFS Chairman Wilfred Wong.

"This year we received close to 1,250 submissions, and the 35th HKIFF will provide the audiences with spectacular selection of local, regional and international films," Wong added.

The Hong Kong International Film Festival was launched in 1977. It is one of Asia's most reputable platforms for filmmakers, film professionals and film-goers from all over the world to launch new works and experience the latest outstanding cinema projects.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
Watched All About Ah Long 阿郎的故事 (1989)  recently

Big time HK Film nominee for 9 Hong Kong Film Awards, best movie, actor (Chow Yun-fat) etc. but only Best Actress (Sylvia Chang) won.

Really touching movie, between father and son when suddenly he is reunited with his ex-lover who happened to be recruiting his son for a commercial AND happens to be the kid's mom.

Chow at his finest mouthful lower class kinda guy

Funny scene in the restaurant where only english is spoken, Chow's like "I'll have what he's having"

and ends up with the kids meal

lol out of nowhere there's this motorcycle racing scene

Still, some epic acting performances - the kid I think was in THE STORY OF MY SON 爱的世界 too

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 06:41:59 AM »
longer teaser for "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"

"An for an Eye" teaser!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 06:30:57 AM »

watched Running with Karma with Andy Lau and Cecilia Cheung. He plays this muscle bound former monk who lives his life as a stripper by night, and saves people by day.

Cecilia Cheung plays a young cop who always gets picked on by her superior, but she keeps solderiing on. Meeting "Biggie" she is almost crushing on him like Lois Lane and her Superman.

FUCK ALL DAT TABLOID. Cecilia Cheung remains one of my fave Hong Kong artists...she has the enigmatic innocent quality that makes Natalie Portman or any other Hollywood ingénue wish they were Ceci.

She acts like she's a crazy stripclub goer.

but is all serious about her job.

and when her boss tells her to get in the tin can, she DOES it.

Unlike fucking other popstar / singers (ex. Sammi Cheng's whiny bitch or Miriam Cheung's laid back bitch), she HAS FUCKING RANGE. She goes from cute to like frightened to compassionate to hopelessly in love. I've really missed her acting.

They come across a murder and Biggie cannot help but see the visions of a Cecilia's character's impending fate....he tries to help her over and over, but is conflicted - there is just too much negative in her past...she is going to die eventually.

Resigned to her fate, she seems to throw her life away and parties! But she is committed to being a cop 4 LIFE and find justice with what little life she has left.

Won't spoil it but WOW. Johnnie To really weaves quite the tale with Andy's Biggie fighting a bum version of himself until he reaches a CLEAR VISION....if he gets revenge on the guy who killed the people he loved, he is just creating more hate in the world.

The DEEPNESS... of this scene.

Gotta admit. This ending + song was pretty dope. Smoking Buddhist lol

No wonder they won big time at the Hong Kong Film Awards. GOOD SHIT.

and don't forget the much anticpated Johnnie To re-collabo "Life Without Principle"

FUCK YEAH!

Offline nimrod

• RihoLicious!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • BABYMETAL DEATH!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 02:51:40 AM »

http://www.flimmerfreunde.de/?p=486
An Interesting Podcast about Johnnie To  :thumbup  (53:23 german only)

#17: Johnnie To

“Der schönste Tag in meinem Leben, war ein Donnerstag.” Durchaus unwahrscheinlich, liebe Tocotronics, betrachtet man einmal genauer, was es alles nicht in die deutschen Lichtspielhäuser schafft. Um den sprachlichem Duktus des populären TV-Diskurses über Klingeltöne, niemals nicht deren Inhalte, aufzugreifen: Best-of-the-Best, da tanzt der Hirsch auf dem Dach! Hol Dir jetzt die megakrassen Hong-Kong Kracher von Johnnie To in Dein Zuhause. Mit dabei THE MISSION, PTU, SPARROW, EXILED, ELECTION 1&2, MAD DETECTIVE und jetzt brandneu, VENGEANCE.

Johnnie To ist der fähigste Genrefilmer unserer Zeit, reiht Meisterwerk an Meisterwerk, als gelte es das Louvre zu bestücken. Cannes, Venedig, Quentin Tarantino, Bernd, Ben und Kay, Johnnie To begeistert. In Frankreich und Amerika belegt er längst schon die großen Leinwände, in Deutschland leider nur für den Hausgebrauch, aber immerhin greifbar. Die Flimmerfreunde empfehlen, unbedingt kaufen, ansehen und wissen was Glück ist: Johnnie To am Stück und auf Scheiben. Heute, morgen und für die Ewigkeit, der schönste Tag in Eurem Leben. Garantiert.

Podcast download

JOHNNIE TO'S "LIFE WITHOUT PRINCIPLE " TO COMPETE IN VENICE

The Johnnie To Kei Fung directed Media Asia film LIFE WITHOUT PRINCIPLE (DUET MING GUM) successfully qualified for the 68th Venice Film Festival competition. To Sir and actors Lau Ching Wan, Denise Ho Wan Si and Myolie Wu Hung Yi already planned to head to Venice to attend this film's global premiere, but Richie Jen (Yam Yin Chai) will not be able to attend due to scheduling problems.

All of the actors and To Sir were rather pleasantly surprised about the film's Venice qualification. To Sir said, "Of course I have to thank Boss Lam (Peter Lam Kin Ngok)! He gave me a lot of time to create movies that I like. I also have to thank all the actors for all the efforts that they put into this film. Ching Wan is quite a guy! Right now I am still busy with post production. I myself really like this film, I hope this time it will perform well."

Ching Wan this time will head to Venice with his wife. "I am very happy! This time I will be able to go to Venice with To Sir. I heard him say that the wine there were great, but I won't be able to drink much. Right now the Old Lady and I are planning maybe to arrive in Italy earlier for fun, then to Venice. We will be able to pretend that we will be on vacation."

As for Ho Wan Si she was very pleased that the film qualified for Venice and immediately posted online that she had no intention but got lucky with the qualification, proving that without any regret for the outcome she would reap the harvest. She said. "I am really very pleasantly surprised. I have always admired To Sir and really wanted to work with him. I never guessed that the first cooperation would immediately bring us to Venice! I never thought about it. I always saw how grand these international film festivals were and how hot the actors dressed. I am now troubled about what to wear. Hmmm.....let me think how much back to show all of you on the red carpet!" This will be To sir's fourth trip to Venice, but he still did not know whether he will remain until the award presentation on the night of the 10th as he still had to rush to the Toronto Film Festival with the same film.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2011/08/20111011-johnnie-tos-life-without.html
りほ, りほ Password is りほ  ♪

がんばれいな!- twitter - last.fm - DVD Profiler - tumblr

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
Lemme guess. Sammi's gonna be a whiny needy bitch? Nice beard Goo-Jai!

Johnnie To Brings New Film for Valentine's Day     
2011-11-16 11:16:24     CRIENGLISH.com       Web Editor: Xie Tingting

Johnnie To's new film "Romancing in Thin Air" stars Louis Koo and Sammi Cheng.

Continuing their streak of successful romance films, director Johnnie To and screenwriter Wai Ka-fai are teaming up for a new project, entitled "Romancing in Thin Air", the film coming hot on the heels of their movie "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" (Trailer ) which was released earlier this year.

The new film features a collection of megastars including "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" actors Louis Koo and Gao Yuanyuan, and Sammi Cheng from Johnnie To's 2004 film "Yesterday Once More". It will also include Wang Baoqiang who appeared in "Mr. Tree".

Set against a backdrop of heavy snow, a recently released concept poster shows an intimate scene of Louis Koo and Sammi Cheng.

According to the director, the film will be shot in the scenic area of Shangri-La in southwest China's Yunnan Province.

Media Asia will produce the film. It is slated for release during the 2012 Valentine's Day slot.

By Liu Shuai

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
I'm still waiting to see his movie with Lau Ching Wan and Denise Ho :lol:

Johnnie To Picks Michelle Ye To Join “Drug War”, Meets With Louis Koo Again

Film director Johnnie To and screenwriter Wai Ka-Fai of “Drug War” has been receiving a lot of attention from the audience ever since its first preparation. After confirming Louis Koo (古天樂) and Sun Hong Lei (孙红雷) to participate, Michelle Ye (葉璇) was picked by Director To to join in the movie. Louis and Michelle’s collaborations in “Accident” and “Overheard 2” not only stunned numerous movie fans, but they also won numerous awards and hit high box offices. This time they will collaborate again. People can’t help but to look forward to it.

Michelle Ye Joins Johnnie To’s New Movie

In 2009, Michelle was chosen by Director To because of her outstanding performances and fresh temperaments. Gradually, she took leads in Director To’s movies: Accident, Vengeance, Motorway, etc. After working with Director To, Michelle accomplished in transforming herself from “Empress of Ratings” into “Moviedom Parvenu”. She won the title of “Best Supporting Actress” in 2010 Hong Kong Film Awards because of the perfect performance in “Accident”, which turned herself into a dazzling female star in Milkyway Image. Now, the ‘master and apprentice’ works together for the fourth time in “Drug War”. What kind of role will Director To give to Michelle? This question has become the focus attention in movies.

When talked about the greatly respected ‘master’, Director To, Michelle expressed that, due to Director To, she was able to have the great achievements on movie screen today, and she cannot be separated from his teachings and trainings: “You can say that every time we collaborate, there will be impressive rewards in return.” While seeing the beloved discipline Michelle Ye, being able to expand her career further, Director To gratified deeply: “Michelle is a very flexible and strong actress. Her acting is natural and she is talented. You don’t have to be worried if you give her a role to act. I believe she will bring out good performances and new surprises in “Drug War”.”

Source: Sina
Credits: Michelle Ye, Michelle Ye Realm

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »

Huang Yi attended the press conference in Beijing for the wrap of Johnnie To's "Drug War"

SHIT. this is gonna be good.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hamasaki Ayumi - Alterna