JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aa! - Masayume

Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 87174 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2013, 01:04:47 AM »
Kinda blasphemous, but also potentially awesome........if it weren't for the fact that it was his April Fool's Day gag for this year. :lol:

LINK - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=636751713020952&set=a.223098324386295.105971.205344452828349&type=1

Also, notice his pink lightsaber; totally appropriate for  :hipheart:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
Dafuq??? XD

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2013, 01:11:57 AM »
When this originally aired, there must have been fans who thought "WTF is Frakes doing there?!?!"  :shocked

:lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2013, 04:39:54 AM »
Don't get me wrong, Quinto is doing an awesome job as the "new" Spock in the reboot series of movies, however there was no doubt in my mind that Nimoy would own this challenge. 8)

But really, for that last scene, they couldn't get a take where the 2 of them said "fascinating" in perfect unison? :doh:

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2013, 07:43:12 AM »
But really, for that last scene, they couldn't get a take where the 2 of them said "fascinating" in perfect unison? :doh:
Probably because it crashed out-of-frame  :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2013, 07:31:28 AM »
I have to admit, while did notice this once in a while, it never occurred to me that he did it that often. :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »
George Takei says John Cho the 'ideal choice' to play Hikaru Sulu in latest 'Star Trek'
Heather Tan, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – Fri, 24 May, 2013 7:36 AM EDT

SINGAPORE - Portraying USS Enterprise helmsman Hikaru Sulu in the latest "Star Trek" movie comes with big shoes to fill, but the man who played the part in the TV series and six films has given his blessing to the actor currently playing the role.

Even though George Takei — whose portrayal of Sulu made him a science fiction legend — said he had not yet had time to catch recently released "Star Trek Into Darkness" due to his busy schedule, he feels John Cho is the "ideal choice" to carry on Sulu's legacy due to the actor's "charm, intelligence, dash and sharpness."

"When (director) J.J. Abrams first announced he had cast Hikaru Sulu, I got a call from John (Cho) asking to have lunch with me," Takei said Friday in Singapore, where he attended the inaugural Social Star Awards. "He was very curious about the intensity of 'Star Trek' fans and doing comic conventions, but he was more concerned about how the fans would accept him because they have identified the character of Sulu with me for so long and he was worried about how he would be received."

"So I told him that it wouldn't be too long before I'll be known as the guy who played John Cho's part, and he was comforted by that," Takei said with a laugh.

Takei, who's 76 and lives in Los Angeles, has had a tremendous following in recent times, with more than 4 million fans on his Facebook page sharing "Star Trek" trivia and news about his current projects.

"People used to think of him as that guy from 'Star Trek,' but now they recognize him as George Takei," said his manager and partner, Brad Takei. "So in other words, his popularity in social media has brought a new generation of fans, and he is now very popular with younger people."

The Japanese-American Takei said Abrams at first had his doubts about casting "Harold & Kumar" star Cho, who is Korean-American, to portray Sulu.

"He told me that he looked hard for a Japanese-American to play Sulu and asked me what I thought of his choice to cast someone not of that lineage," Takei said. "To me, so long as the character remains Asian-American, that would be all that matters."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/news/george-takei-says-john-cho-ideal-choice-play-113412860.html

:thumbup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »
 :thumbsup

Trekkies weep with nostalgia as Space Center Houston unveils restored Star Trek Galileo
By Ramit Plushnick-Masti, The Associated Press
Published 07/31/2013 16:40:26

The restored space shuttle Galileo from the 1960's television show Star Trek is unveiled at Space Center Houston Wednesday, July 31, 2013, in Houston. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

HOUSTON - When the smoke cleared and the music died down, Candy Torres could no longer contain herself. Looking at the shiny, restored Star Trek Galileo shuttlecraft sitting in Houston in all its TV glory, she broke down.

"All of a sudden I was just crying. I was in tears. I couldn't believe it," Torres said, donning a brown tourist engineer hat and a NASA mission operations shirt. "It meant something."

And Torres wasn't alone. Trekkies of all stripes arrived in Houston Wednesday for the momentous unveiling of the shuttlecraft that crash-landed on a hostile planet in the 1967 "Star Trek" episode called "The Galileo Seven." Some wore Scotty's Repair Shop T-shirts, others full-blown spandex outfits worn by Mr. Spock and his peers in the famous TV show and movies that have garnered a following so large and so devoted it is almost cult-like.

Adam Schneider paid $61,000 for the battered shuttlecraft in an auction and spent about a year restoring the fiberglass ship and making it look nearly as it did on that episode. He flew in from New York to mark the unveiling at the Space Center Houston, where it will be permanently displayed not far from NASA's Mission Control.

"Unbelievably proud," he said, beaming alongside the white shuttle. "Like sending your kid to college and having them get a job to build a successful life, because this was under our care for a year and we grew very attached.

Jeff Langston, 45, drove more than 160 miles from Austin with his two sons to see the moment. He and his 12-year-old son, Pearce, wore matching red Scotty's Repair Shop T-shirts. His 10-year-old son, Neo, couldn't find his shirt, but that didn't put a damper on the moment.

"It was very exciting," Neo said, bouncing on his feet. "When they filmed Star Trek the Galileo was cool and now that they remade it, it's cool to see a new version of the Galileo. And it's beautiful."

Richard Allen, the space centre's 63-year-old CEO and president, hopes that just as the Star Trek movies and others like it inspired Torres to pursue a career in science and engineering, that today's generation will be similarly inspired when they see the Galileo.

"It's fantastic," he said of the shuttlecraft. "We're all about exciting and educating ... and I'm convinced that space is one of the best, if not the best, way of creating inquiry in young minds."

___

Plushnick-Masti can be followed on Twitter at https://twitter.com/RamitMastiAP

FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.shawconnect.ca/NewsArticle/Travel/6442595029_199/Trekkies_weep_with_nostalgia_as_Space_Center_Houston_unveils_restored_Star_Trek_Galileo/story.aspx

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2013, 02:03:21 AM »
Sad news today. :(

Actor Michael Ansara, who played the original Kang on Star Trek, dies at age 91
By Associated Press | PUBLISHED: 14:33 GMT, 3 August 2013 | UPDATED: 15:09 GMT, 3 August 2013

Michael Ansara, a television and movie actor whose roles included a Klingon on 'Star Trek,' has died.

A longtime friend and spokesman for Ansara says the actor died Wednesday at his home in Calabasas, California.

His former agent Michael B. Druxman told the New York Times that Ansara died after suffering from Alzheimer's disease. He was 91.

Ansara was most famous for playing evil Klingon leader Kang on the original 'Star Trek' and was one of the few actors to continue that role in further iterations of the series, playing the Klingon in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' and 'Star Trek: Voyager.'

Ansara was born in Syria and moved to the United States when he was two-years-old. His family first lived in Massachusetts before moving to Los Angeles when he was 10.

At first Ansara planned to become a doctor but shifted his focus to acting after he took up at the Pasadena Playhouse to overcome his shyness.

His first film role was in the 1944 thriller 'Action in Arabia.'

Because of his Syrian heritage, Ansara was often cast in ethnic roles, playing American Indian characters on TV shows like  'Broken Arrow' and 'Law of the Plainsman.'

He also appeared on  ''I Dream of Jeannie,' 'Hawaii 5-0' and 'Murder, She Wrote.'

His film credits include Julius Caesar, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Greatest Story Ever Told and The Comancheros with John Wayne.

More recently, Ansara appeared as the guardian to an estranged grandson in the 1999 independent film 'Long Road Home' and as the voice of Mr. Freeze on the cartoon TV series 'Batman' and 'Batman Beyond.'

Ansara was predeceased by his son, Matthew, with former wife Barbara Eden. He is survived by his wife of 36 years, Beverly Kushida, a sister and a niece and nephew.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2384042/Michael-Ansara-original-Kang-Star-Trek-dies-age-91.html

R.I.P. Mr. Ansara.
:prayers:

http://youtu.be/gnZlwQwOSIc?t=25s

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
When you have to wear protective gear during the production process, you know you are making one HELLA badass weapon. :rockon:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2013, 07:38:06 AM »
Star Trek fans will either laugh or flip out after watching Japanese Spock sell anti-rust spray
Michelle Lynn Dinh

KURE 5-56 is Japan’s version of WD-40. It’s hard to make a connection between a lubricating spray and Star Trek, but one Japanese company managed to do just that, incorporating clips from the newest movie, Star Trek Into Darkness, into a commercial. The company also gave rise to their own version of first officer, Mister Spock, and he’s…interesting.

First, a little background on the movie. In one of the very first scenes, Captain Kirk decides to hide the Enterprise at the bottom of the ocean. Scotty, the ship’s engineer, worries that the Enterprise will rust in the sea water. The maker of KURE 5-56, which acts as a lubricant and anti-rust spray, uses this dialogue to sell their product. The commercial starts out with Scotty freaking out about the possibility of rust (a scene that actually happened in the movie) and it’s from this point that the commercial takes a turn for the weird.

Japanese Spock comes into the picture and tells Scotty, “You don’t know anything do you?” and proceeds to explain how KURE 5-56 helps stop rust. He then takes off his helmet, showing off his pointed Vulcan ears.

Apparently they fold…

Cut to a few more clips from the Star Trek movie and it’s back to Japanese Spock encouraging Captain Kirk to sit in his chair.

The commercial is over in 31 seconds, but the maker of KURE 5-56 manages to pack in a lot of weird. Star Trek fans, take a look at the YouTube video at your own risk. You’ll come away with a chuckle or land up being disgusted at the strange Japanese version of Spock.
THE CM -

Now considering that the actual CM has a clip from the movie Star Trek: Into Darkness that actually features Zachary Quinto as Spock...I'd argue the Japanese guy playing a Vulcan is NOT a "Japanese Spock", but rather just......a Japanese guy playing a Vulcan.  :lol:

Offline krpsygafan

• Member+
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Who would get angry over that?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2013, 04:25:18 AM »
Who would get angry over that?
No idea, to be honest. :)

But speaking of Asian Spock...

:P

Offline krpsygafan

• Member+
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »
Never thought live long and prosper actually meant piss off  :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »
Check the name right below the bridge windows on the starboard side as well as on the nameplate on the far left-hand side of the picture.

Nerdgasm. :w00t:

io9.com - Here's NASA's New Design for a Warp Drive Ship
- http://io9.com/heres-nasas-new-design-for-a-warp-drive-ship-1588948192

More pics here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/123021064@N05/sets/72157644113972600/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:39 PM »
Personally, I'd probably do this as/for a man-cave rather than the entire house. Love the tile job on the one wall in the bathroom shower. :)

Dose.com - No, This Is Not A Movie Set. This Is The Nerdiest Home In The Entire World
- http://www.dose.com/lists/2972/No-This-Is-Not-A-Movie-Set-This-Is-The-Nerdiest-Home-In-The-Entire-World

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #159 on: August 07, 2014, 01:27:08 AM »

:cow: :cow: :cow:

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aa! - Masayume