JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4 in Love - RR21

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485198 times)

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2200 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »
Did you try updating your video card drivers?

It sounds like there might be some issues with your hardware overlay, which is used by the system when you do fullscreen hardware-accelerated output.  It's possible your drivers might have been corrupted or compromised by something you installed, or your video card developed some defect that causes the overlay to crash. (see my previous post on capacitor plague)

If updating your video card drivers doesn't help, I'd re-inspect the capacitors on the video card, just in case.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2201 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:33 AM »
I'm looking for someone familiar with PHP coding here for this. Basically I'm creating a multiple choice quiz in conjunction with a MYSQL database, all questions and answers are stored in a table which I'm using the following to retrieve it:

$dbQuery="SELECT DISTINCT * FROM movies WHERE id = " . $number. " LIMIT 1 ";
$result = mysql_query($dbQuery,$db);
$num=mysql_numrows($result);

while ($dbRow=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
   $id=mysql_result($result, $i, "id");
   $question=mysql_result($result, $i, "question");
   $ans1=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer1");
   $ans2=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer2");
   $ans3=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer3");
   $tip=mysql_result($result, $i, "tip");
   $correct=mysql_result($result, $i, "correct");

And the rest is actually displaying it on a page. Now if was bringing back say 10 rows then it wouldn't really be a bother, but I've been told to display only 1 row back a page at a time. Each time the user submits the button and guesses correctly, then the same page will refresh and load the next row. That's my problem, for the life of me I can't figure out how to do so. I planned on setting a condition in the query where an id variable can be changed each time the correct answer is given which is then somehow used in the query on page refresh? I dunno, it's late and I'm tired but this is a problem I've had difficulty visualising for a while now. Any general direction would be much appreciated. :)

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #2202 on: December 03, 2009, 03:53:26 AM »
installed one copy of W7 on the pc but i have no idea why there is no internet... tried to configure it with the IP but guess i failed...keep saying that there is a problem with the modem or sumtin but i know that's not true since i'm using ubuntu with no problem.

so if anyone can help me with this stupidity... or at least try XD

EDIT: problem is no more  :lol:, is all good now
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:20:25 PM by shurastriker »

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #2203 on: December 03, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
I'm looking for someone familiar with PHP coding here for this. Basically I'm creating a multiple choice quiz in conjunction with a MYSQL database, all questions and answers are stored in a table which I'm using the following to retrieve it:

$dbQuery="SELECT DISTINCT * FROM movies WHERE id = " . $number. " LIMIT 1 ";
$result = mysql_query($dbQuery,$db);
$num=mysql_numrows($result);

while ($dbRow=mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
   $id=mysql_result($result, $i, "id");
   $question=mysql_result($result, $i, "question");
   $ans1=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer1");
   $ans2=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer2");
   $ans3=mysql_result($result, $i, "answer3");
   $tip=mysql_result($result, $i, "tip");
   $correct=mysql_result($result, $i, "correct");

And the rest is actually displaying it on a page. Now if was bringing back say 10 rows then it wouldn't really be a bother, but I've been told to display only 1 row back a page at a time. Each time the user submits the button and guesses correctly, then the same page will refresh and load the next row. That's my problem, for the life of me I can't figure out how to do so. I planned on setting a condition in the query where an id variable can be changed each time the correct answer is given which is then somehow used in the query on page refresh? I dunno, it's late and I'm tired but this is a problem I've had difficulty visualising for a while now. Any general direction would be much appreciated. :)
"distinct", "limit 1" and "id" are quite redundant because normally id is unique, isn't it ?

not sure to understand, you want a pagination with 1 question by page and if the answer is correct you display the next page ?

*pm-ed*
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 11:24:20 AM by sh15uya »

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2204 on: December 08, 2009, 01:03:15 PM »
Does anyone know how to bypass waiting times for some times like jpop?

I check it everyday and it keeps saying I have 30mins. left to wait...

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2205 on: December 08, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »

Found a few webpages that generate premium download urls for files you want that will let you skip the wait at jpop.  Haven't tried any of these myself, so I guess you can give them a try:

http://hfplg.com/
http://www.hlusoe.info/jpop
http://www.megaleech.eu/

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #2206 on: December 08, 2009, 04:32:47 PM »
Pasting this into your browser
javascript:alert(c=0)
used to make those little countdowns instantly drop to zero.  Most sites did something to stop it working but it's worth a try.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2207 on: December 08, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
There's a model website I'm trying to access but whenever I try at home, it times out and I get the message "The server at www.showgirlzexclusive.com is taking too long to respond." I get the same thing for all the websites that are connected to it as well. I've tried it in different browsers and on my Mac and PC but the same thing. I tried to load it at school and the websites loaded fine.

Is there a way I can work around this?

(Just in case you try the site, it's NSFW)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:29:56 PM by arun.yothin »

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2208 on: December 08, 2009, 07:32:27 PM »
^ Timesout here also.

Found a few webpages that generate premium download urls for files you want that will let you skip the wait at jpop.  Haven't tried any of these myself, so I guess you can give them a try:

Hm, those let you download 3 files per day... if they work, only hlusoe actualy tries but with only 23KB/s!

@shadowstar: maybe you are downloading via a proxy server that other people also are using? that could explain the problem.
jpop recently went to a 1 files per half hour algorithm (was 1 per 15m previously)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2209 on: December 09, 2009, 05:10:10 AM »
I have a ATI Radeon HD 4670 video graphics card installed into a Dell Dimension E510.  it regularly makes a clicking noise and it even got hot enough to turns off the computer.  I regularly use a compressed dust cleaner to blow of dusts on it.   I'd also installed the ATI Catalyst Control software for it, though I dunno know what to do with it.  I wanna set it so the graphic card won't overheat, maybe limiting the drive speed.  How do I do that?  anyone have any idea. 

P.S. I use this computer to play pc games like Battlefield 2 and CoD4: Modern Warfare.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2210 on: December 09, 2009, 04:27:36 PM »

That second link is amazing. Thanks! :heart:

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2211 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
I have a ATI Radeon HD 4670 video graphics card installed into a Dell Dimension E510.  it regularly makes a clicking noise and it even got hot enough to turns off the computer.  I regularly use a compressed dust cleaner to blow of dusts on it.   I'd also installed the ATI Catalyst Control software for it, though I dunno know what to do with it.  I wanna set it so the graphic card won't overheat, maybe limiting the drive speed.  How do I do that?  anyone have any idea. 

P.S. I use this computer to play pc games like Battlefield 2 and CoD4: Modern Warfare.

The clicking sound you describe could only come from a few places in your computer.

In general, a noisy computer is due to some unbalanced or dysfunctional cooling fan.  If it's not, then that points to something a bit more alarming.

Hard Drives can click, but if the clicking is an abnormally loud sounding one, that's a sure sign that your hard drive is on the verge of mechanical failure and should be replaced ASAP or else you could permanently lose all the data on it.

Other than that, clicking could be coming from electrical arcing, which is never a good thing inside a computer.  Since the fans and drives are generally the only moving parts in a computer, there isn't much else it could be.  If you're sure that the card itself is the thing that is causing the clicking sound, there's a few things you could try before resorting to a warranty claim.

The system shutting off by itself along with excessive heat from the case could be coming from a CPU overheat or possibly even a faulty/inadequate power supply.  Make sure that the heat and sound are coming from where you think they are and that your power supply has enough wattage to power everything.

If it is indeed the video card that is the source of the sound and heat, check the drivers again and do a google search for other users with similar problems on the same hardware.  Often, these problems have already been solved by someone else already.

Changing drive speeds shouldn't affect your video card.  In general, the control software will allow for overclocking (only to be done if you have more than adequate cooling and even then at the price of some system stability) as well as safeguard temperature shutoff/alarms.  Fiddling with those a bit may help.

Overall, the clicking itself is alarming, if it is indeed coming from the video card.  Other than software compatibility problems, hardware defects are something you could try to check for.  (e.g. the capacitor plague situation I described earlier)  In that case, you have little to do but make a warranty claim.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2212 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »
I just got a Apple Iphone 3GS 16GB,  now this is my first apple product.  I use T-mobile sim card.  now on the phone out of the box, there is a label warning, saying that upgrading the software of the iphone will lock the phone permanently(note the underline).  Now if I did accidently upgrade which cause it to lock, how would I unlock it?  does the t-mobile offer that service, should I go to a specialty store, or can I do it on my own?  
p.s. it really sucks that upgrading the software on an Iphone would lock it again. how annoying...

also, I can't connect to my Wireless network with my iphone, network won't even show up on the list. and I know my network is broadcasting...
UPDATE: nevermind, got the wifi to work. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:47:43 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2213 on: December 14, 2009, 04:28:40 AM »
sorry for the double post, but it's been 3 days and no feedback or answers on my own part.  I want any info I can, please. 

So that's why I'm reposting. 

^read previous post. 
ADD:  I saw some iphone sim unlocking device online for sale, but I dunno if they are trustworthy, reliable or not.  any info would be helpful.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2214 on: December 14, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
^ Why buy a iPhone is you have no idea what to do with it??

I think there is one or two other members that use an iPhone, you will need to have to wait for them to reply.
But I am pretty sure T-Mobile does not deliver unlocked phones, its something Apple doesn't like you to do, so you probably bought a non official cracked device.

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2215 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:32 AM »
I have an iPhone 3G, not the 3GS, but most of the same things apply.
I don't know too much about the implications of unlocking/jailbreaking/etc, since I haven't done so myself, but here's what I do know:

While I believe you can use your phone with T-Mobile, I'm not sure that the 3G will work.
From what I understand, the different carriers use different network standards and some of them are incompatible.
Don't quote me on this, but there is a possibility that you'll be stuck on Edge network.

For the most part, you do any modding/hacking to your device at your own risk.
It's the same as with any other hardware/firmware modding.
There's always the potential to brick your device, and the firmware updates are always trying to make it harder to mod the software.

Since I don't know much about it myself, pretty much all I can do is direct you to someone who does.
I'd recommend going to an iphone-centric forum for more information, like http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2216 on: December 15, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »
^thanks Slack for that links, sure is alot of info...

just one small question:  I surf around and found this site and I believe it may be useful, but I'm wondering how reliable it is.  Do you have any info on this?

And to frblckstr1,  I'll clarify, I didn't bought it, it was a gift, a non-refundable at that.  And I didn't have any idea about the iPhone in the first place, I didn't do any research before I bought like my other phones, this one just came to me free of charge, so I'd thought I'd might as well get the best out of it.  To tell you the truth I'm not liking the iPhone much at all, really.  some features are nice, like the massive numbers of apps out there and the accessories, like the iHome or clock radios that can connect to it.  but the iPhone itself is a big bust.  It like a backtrack five years.  like the mp3s as ringtone not available, I'd actually have to make my own 30sec ringtone.  only can connect to iTunes in order to get anything done, does not support wmas, so I'd have to convert and reorganized my playlists, all 1000+songs,  3.2 megapixels with NO flash, no zoom. 

this iPhone is suppose to be the best smartphone in the world, but i don't see how or why? It's SUCKS compared to my old phone, the Nokia N95 8GB that does everthing the iPhone doesn't, with 5 megapixels, Carl Ziess lens WITH Flash, an additional, secondary camera in the front for video calling feature.  plays wmas and mp3s, can set ANY songs as a ringtone or message tone.  of course it doesn't have many apps available like the iTunes App Store, nor touchscreen features, but I was content. 

For reasons, I gave that phone to my mother and doesn't think about getting it back, since I had my eyes on the Sony Ericsson SATIO or the Nokia N97. 

This is, a temporary phone until I get my desired phones, but meanwhile, I want to get the best out of my iPhone.  And since I can't return it, I want the make the most of it.

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2217 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
Sounds like the camera is a deal-breaker for you.  Other than that it seems like you have more of a problem with iTunes than the phone itself.  Since I had an iPod before and meticulously organized all my mp3s beforehand, there was zero headache for me.

If you have a halfway-capable audio editor, making your own ringtones is so easy it's amazing that anyone pays for Apple's pre-made ones.  All you have to do is import a 30-second mp3 or wav into iTunes  in Apple's format, rename the extension to m4r, and run it.  Then bam, it's in iTunes.

What you have to understand is that what the iPhone is considered good at are probably things you don't care about.  For me, the ability to youtube or wiki anything from anywhere (like in bed or in the john) is the main feature to be excited about.  The screen is really nice for watching videos too, complete with chapter markings from DVDs I ripped with Handbrake. (http://handbrake.fr/)

That said, if you care about a high level of customizability, don't have/aren't willing to switch to iTunes for your music, and aren't really into the apps, the iPhone probably isn't for you.  If you think of it more like an iPod Touch with 3G capability, you're probably going to be less frustrated in the end.  It's not a great camera phone, it's not a great coverage phone (thanks, AT&T), or even a great audio quality phone.  What it is, is a great media playing device with a lot of apps and capable web capability.  To me, the actual phone part is an excuse to have it on me all the time.

What it sounds like to me though is that you'd probably be happier ebaying the thing and buying a phone you like with the proceeds.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:55:16 AM by Slack »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2218 on: December 17, 2009, 01:17:08 AM »
^Thanks for your help,  actually I was considering buying an iPod Touch myself. For me it was either the iPod Touch 32GB or the iPhone 3GS.  nevertheless, I got the iPhone for free.

my reason instead of buying any other music players is, the main thing is that iPod and iPhone both have ALOT of accessories and systems for it, mainly the iHome and other like products like the clock radio and speakers.  a less 2nd is, though less unique now, is the Touchscreen.  I tried the iPhone before and it was interesting to play with the touchscreen, but after a while it's not that amazing, Plus, alot of phones offer the same thing.  now there is HUGE amount of apps for the iphone, which is cool.  but after looking at several it's hit or miss for me, and plus I'm reluctant of paying for any apps or music, plus any good apps need to be paid for,  so the App Store and iTunes lost it's appeal for me, since I really no longer watch american shows, less with movies and not even american music. 

After a while, I'm content with it all, now that I know I can unlock it myself after I upgrade, and youtube works now.  Though I'm not satisfied, I'm content. 

again, I thank you for your help. 
but now I came to another problem...

I want to watch videos on it, and since I know it doesn't play avi or mpg or ogg/mkv, only mp4, I guess I can only convert.  But all other converter cost money.
I tried out some of my own mp4s, but I can't transfer it to iPhone, guess because of the HD,  it's 1280x720, and iPhone only support 640x480, so how can I convert it for free.  this Handbreak, does it convert, too, or just ripped from dvds?

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2219 on: December 17, 2009, 03:57:35 AM »
Handbrake is really easy to use, handles just about everything and best of all, it's free.  I use it mostly for vobs, isos, dvds, etc, but it can do most other formats as well.  Haven't tested it extensively on some of the rarer formats, but it does what I need it to.  I even used it once to help out a friend get a video ringtone on his Nokia.  PVs and concerts look pretty damn good on my phone, and as I said, you can label the chapters yourself.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4 in Love - RR21