JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Heartsdales - Angel Eyes

Author Topic: Official Sumo Thread  (Read 48498 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
Dejima-Wakanosato. Two old farts with losing records, how sad.  Dejima was once ozeki in the mid-90s and Waka was supposed to challenge for the rank a few years back.  Injuries have taken their toll on both rikishi.  Dejima won the yusho in Nagoya in '99, beating Yokozuna Akebono in a ketteisen.  Dejima charges hard and forces out Waka in a couple seconds.  Didn't help that Waka was moving back and trying to pull him down.  Both finish with 5-10 records.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »
They've had sumo in Nagoya for fifty (50) years.  Lotta great history here.

Hokutoriki-Asasekiryu.  Asa is 7-7 and, desperate for a win, sidesteps at the tachiai, winning by hikiotoshi.  Shit happens and the fans get gyped.  Hoku finishes 10-5.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2007, 08:16:27 AM »
Kotoshogiku-Takikaze.  Thrusting at the onset and Taki gets the win by hatakikomi.

Miyabiyama-Aminishiki.  Ami "beat" Asashoryu on shonichi by isamiashi or something, so he gets the shukunsho.  Miyabi thrusts but Ami resists.  Ami gets a right shitate, stalemate in the ring.  Ami goes for yori but slips down when Miyabi thrusts him down with his right.  Tsukiotoshi.

Tokitenku-Takamisakari.  My friend calls Takami "crackhead."   Matta.  Taka gets a good hidari-uwate, but Toki goes for a right uchigake, breaks Taka's balance and forces him out by yorikiri.

Now...  Kotomitsuki-Kisenosato. Koto 6-2 lifetime against Kise.  Koto has had his eyes on the prize for so long.  His parents are in the arena.  Thrusting in the center of the ring.  Out of control.  Kise stays in the match and twists down Koto by hikiotoshi.  What an upset!  Kise was soooo much more aggresive!  Now Asashoryu wins and that's the end of the basho.  Koto's nerves get the best of him.

Kotooshu-Ama.  Ama comes out fast and hard.  Tsupppari.  Shifts to the left and thrusts him down, tsukiotoshi.  Koto finishes 9-6, Ama 7-8.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2007, 08:23:02 AM »
Homasho-Chiyotaikai.  Poor Homa, they throw him to the wolves cause he had a good start and there's not enough top rankers for the joi-jin to face this late in the tournament since Kaio dropped out.  Chiyo thrusts hard.  Homa is up to the challenge but Chiyo is the king of hataki and does it again, hatakikomi.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2007, 08:28:39 AM »
Musubi-no-ichiban on senshuraku.  We haven't had all-yokozuna match since...  Takanohana-Musashimaru.  Asa has to win and he gets the Cup.  Haku has a good deadpan face during the shikiri.  Asa gets a FAST right shitate, Haku has NO defense..   holy shit!  STRONG hidari uwate, and Haku was way too high with his left.  Yorikiri.  Asa raises his hands in triumph as he walks down the hanamichi.  Yusho #21 and no yusho ketteisen.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
OMG spammage!

Crap, I missed Koto's bout.

Anyway...ain't that pretty weak? I thought Hakuho would put up a good fight, but oh well. It was so fast I almost missed it.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
BIG letdown with Koto's unexpected loss.  Asashoryu kicked ass and proved that he's still the #1 badass mutha in ozumo.

Koto is bummed BIGTIME but he was in control.  He's got ozeki.  All is well.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »
I watched the review of all Koto's bouts at the end. He really showed strong sumo this basho. Maybe too much pressure in the last day so he slipped. Congrats to the new ozeki. Hope he'll keep it up like this basho.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2007, 05:58:11 AM »
Asa got suspended for 2 bashos!!!!

I don't have a source. :P They talk about this on 2ch wolf, say that it was on NHK.

There's your chance of getting the yusho, Kotomitsuki! I mean Hakuho!! But, yeah, probably Kotomitsuki!!!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2007, 08:27:50 AM »
Holy shit, this is a big deal!

I mean, there was one rikishi who was docked for a few basho after hitting a pedestrain while driving a car (rikishi aren't allowed to operate motor vehicles).

So auto-kyujo, pay decrease for Asa AND Takasago Oyakata (prolly deserved), what amounts to house arrest for the yokozuna until the end of the Kyushu Basho...  I haven't seen this severe a punishment for a yokozuna since Futahaguro was forced to retire in late 1987.  All this for skipping town and playing soccer with the hometown kids.

Of course this is for years of rebellion.  Can you imagine how PISSED OFF he's gonna be in the Hatsu Basho in '08?  Also it's gonna be kinda boring the next two basho, which Hakuho may feel the pressure to take.

Dang, I'm stunned...

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2007, 08:34:30 AM »
Wait, house arrest, too? o_o Whoa.

I didn't think it was THAT bad for just playing ball with kids for the govt's request. But they've probably been looking for a chance to knock him down a bit, and now that there are 2 yokozunas.

Hatsu basho is gonna be so much fun! He'll probably tsuriotoshi everyone, throwing peopel out the dohyo or something. :lol:

Maybe I should just cancel NHK now and have it again in Dec for Kouhaku to Jan for a PO'd Asa!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 05:40:39 AM »
There's a long-ass thread on the Sumo Forum that explains the "house arrest" Nihongo term.

I am still amazed at this turn of events.  Yes this was handed out after the pot boiled over but still: what if Asa said Fuck You Japan and cut off his chonmage in front of the cameras at Narita before flying home? 

He's lived in Japan all these years and STILL doesn't know how to play the PR game.  Hopefully he'll have enough time the rest of the year.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2007, 10:21:42 PM »
There's also some Mongolian dude on the Sumo Forum board that seems to think everything is a conspiracy against Asa cause he's too strong and the Japanese have it in for him.

What's the saying (per Harlan Ellison)?  The two most common elements in the universe are: 1) hydrogen, and 2) stupidity.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2007, 04:13:59 PM »
The Japanese sure have it in for him, but it's not because of his strength nor nationality. It's his own demeanor.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:38 AM »
Kinda on topic..

This is the town I live in..  :D

Translated "Sumo's first ground"

and this is it...

Things have changed just a bit..

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »
The previous Sadogatake oyakata, former yokozuna Kotozakura, died on Aug 14 at the age of 66.  He lived long enough to see Kotomitsuki promoted to ozeki.  His son-in-law took over the heya about a year and a half ago.

Sad news.  I wonder how this will affect not only Kotomitsuki but also Kotooshu, who was visibly upset at keiko.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
What is that space with 4 trees, Guchi? A practise ground?

Oh, I just saw a headline at Rikai.com that they let Asa go back to Mongolia tomorrow (29th)? :o

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 11:46:44 PM »
What is that space with 4 trees, Guchi? A practise ground?

Not practice, that's where the first ever events were held..

It is said that Sumo Shrine is the place where sumo first began, and it is here, according to records, that Nominosukune and Taimanokehaya competed before the 11th Emperor, Suijin. The winner of the competition, Nominosukune, is enshrined in a small shrine in the sanctuary. We can still see the remains of the sumo ring where that competition took place.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 11:47:30 PM by Guchi_Jnr »

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »
A woman has attempted to climb onto the Sumo's ring oO

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/p-sp-tp3-20070920-258653.html

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2007, 01:27:37 AM »
Yep, and Takamisakari there was credited with a partial win by yorikiri.

Looney tunes in EVERY sport, I tell you...

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Heartsdales - Angel Eyes