JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Yoyo (Reunited Mix)

Author Topic: The Rock Music Thread  (Read 28178 times)

Offline gimmeryce

The Punk/Ska/Indie/Emo/Hardcore Thread
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 08:59:32 AM »
i listen to the killers, my chemical romance, fallout boy, panic! at the disco, rise against, red hot chili peppers, incubus, coldplay, snow patrol, 30 seconds to mars, rage against the machines
what does that make me

Offline Tylosaurus Rex

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 05:41:43 AM »
I love me a bit of ska every now and again. There's this great ska/hardcore band from my area called The Flaming Tsunamis...correction. They USED to be great. Now they pretty much blow. Oh, well. Can't win them all. I'm not too big on hardcore (more of a straight up extreme metal guy), but there's a couple bands I like, such as HORSE the band. Those guys are one of my all time favorites. I'm going to see them with Light This City on April 3rd, and I can't freakin' wait.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 07:46:08 AM »
HORSE the band is pretty cool. They have some nice songs and their 80's and video game references are pretty funny. But sometimes I can't seem to take them seriously. I also hate how people call them the creators of Nintendo-core... stupidest *whatever*-core genre name ever. I heard their live shows are crazy though.

Quote from: gimmeryce;325446
i listen to the killers, my chemical romance, fallout boy, panic! at the disco, rise against, red hot chili peppers, incubus, coldplay, snow patrol, 30 seconds to mars, rage against the machines
what does that make me

It makes you someone who listens to those bands...

Offline tempethegreat

• i'm the great guy!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • atsuko maeda,i love u so much..
Re: The Punk/Ska/Indie/Emo/Hardcore Thread
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 09:08:44 AM »
I love me a bit of ska every now and again. There's this great ska/hardcore band from my area called The Flaming Tsunamis...correction. They USED to be great. Now they pretty much blow. Oh, well. Can't win them all. I'm not too big on hardcore (more of a straight up extreme metal guy), but there's a couple bands I like, such as HORSE the band. Those guys are one of my all time favorites. I'm going to see them with Light This City on April 3rd, and I can't freakin' wait.

of course ska is the best music ever.....nothing can change ska......
but ska have a three types of wave........you know it?????? :heart: :heart:

Offline Roary

• Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 09:42:03 AM »
You guys should check out finnish hardcore scene. There are some thoughts that thats where it began. Don't believe it though.
Kaaos, Rattus, Kuolleet kukat, Terveet kädet & rotten sound used to be HC but now they wanted to go faster and are Grindcore.

I used to listen to voodoo glow skulls back in the days. And I still love it... Rancid is one of my all time fav bands with NOFX :)

Do you want my candy?!?

Offline panida

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 05:21:08 PM »
I can't seperate punk and emo

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
Buried Between the Buried and Me are releasing a new album

More prog metal than any genres in the thread title, but it's the most appropriate thread. They're still metalcore

Quote from: BTBAM official site
Well, we are done tracking our new record "Colors", and we couldn't be happier... it was an amazing experience as always working with the mighty Jamie King, and we couldn't thank him enough for being an amazing person and engineer/producer... we are currently mixing the record right now and will be done in the next week or so... the record will be released on September 18th through Victory Records. this record is nothing you've ever heard from us before... its a 65 minute opus of non stop pummeling beautiful music... we have described this release as "new wave polka grunge." we hope you have fun with it.... more updates soon... we are doing a small two week tour with our amazing friends The Red Chord, Cephalic Carnage, and The End... Arise and Ruin are taking The End's place on the Canadian dates... be sure and check out the shows section of the page and come hang out with us!!

Can't wait to hear what they have concocted this time. Definitely one of the greatest bands to come out of the hardcore/metal scene in the last few years.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 12:23:57 PM »
I concur. They're like the Opeth of metalcore.

Alaska was a masterpiece, and I'm really looking forward to hear how their sound evolves on this new release. Their cover album already showed us they're capable of playing so many different music styles, still making it sound their own.

Should be a treat.

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »
I love ska music, a lot!
My first ska-based band was less than jake this All my best friends all metalheads..still love that song!
Also quite like Reel big fish.
and I recently saw six.point.five and capdown(not the same night though) they're great!!

oh and I love rancid..just to say ^^

oh and back in the day(way before my time so i dont know much to explain the evidence to this etc) bu the reason u can put pun kand emo together is because emo originally stood for emotional punk and used to be very different to what we have now...is what I've heard a few times anyway.(dont kill me if im wrong)

that said i quite like this current emo-trend - love FFAF's first album! anf finch's
I love all these musics anyway ^^

set made by me
Here's me singing and dancing!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=15604.0

Offline tempethegreat

• i'm the great guy!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »
can youll tell me what the different between emo and gothic????

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
^real emo is a lot more hardcore, new emo is a lot more whiny and soppy(that said i like both xD)
goth isn't really either of those, though I do get why they're similar.  But goth often has a singer with a beautiful voice.

Do correct me if I'm wrong though.

set made by me

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
old emo actually was pretty much hardcore with personal lyrics lol Though some went off into a more melodic direction, but was essentially still hardcore.

emo now has turned into any music derived from punk and indie with very personal lyrics.

I don't think they're exactly genres of music, just a label people gave it to separate it from the non-personal side, even if musically, they sound the same.  Also many bands labeled emo don't sound anything like each other. There are some bands that I think enforce almost all emo stereotypes, I call them emo bands( :cough: Hawthorne Heights :cough: )

Emo has pretty much grown into a pop subculture, taking over myspace and stuff lol

Goth isn't even really about music. It's a style and subculture. It's adding dark shit to your wardrobe and all this other stuff, look it up. I've never really gotten into goth, so I don't know much about it. There is goth rock, which is sorta like New Wave, sometimes punk rock kind of stuff with "dark" elements in lyrics and instrumentals. Think of bands along the lines of The Cure.

That either cleaned things up, or it made everything even more confusing :lol: You just need to know where these things come from. Which requires actual research. You can't just ask your friends and look at a couple sites. :lol:

It really doesn't matter though, unless you just want to know why everything is everything
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 03:49:10 PM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2007, 04:31:21 PM »
^I've never really got the hang of genres but I know some people can get very personal about it all(which is why I said not hurt me if I'm wrong lol)

Music has evolved so much over the years nothing is really what it was 'back in the day.'

my first ska-based song that really got me into the genreish(anything similar to it too)

I just love the atmostphere it brings and I'd love to see them live!!!

oh and the emo take-over of myspace!!! XD So funny, 'aaarrrgg it's everywhere~' crazy.

set made by me

Offline Poetically Pathetic

• Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 04:54:38 AM »
I just downloaded the new Darkest Hour album "Deliver Us" (I'll still buy it when it's released on the 10th) and I'm amazed how they can keep their original sound and yet mature at the same time.

In short: It's amazing.

Offline tempethegreat

• i'm the great guy!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »
can youll give me the example for the emo and the goth band that u know....???

Offline Blu-Cherri

• Figure of Sorrow
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Figure of Loneliness
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 09:20:44 PM »
for me, an emo band would be (first album mostly)funeral for a friend and (first album) finch.(finch stopped being emo-like for second album)

FFAF PV -
Finch PV -

so you can see from that what SITS was saying.  In a magazine i read emo is listed as 'Emo/Post Hardcore'

goth I don't really know, so I searched and came up with

some finnish gothic music(i think by gothic it means it's more goth elements than pure goth...whatever that is I really don't know)
a random song that I have just discovered I quite like
is HIM considered goth?? either way I like them...

my examples of emo and goth are totally different from each other so hopefully that helps you.

set made by me

Offline Sexykago

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »
*pinches self*
OMG A PUNK THREAD!! :w00t:

Since the topic is currently on emocore. Here's a few emo bands I like:
Portraits of Past
http://www.myspace.com/portraitsofpast
Funeral Diner
http://www.myspace.com/funeraldiner 
The Spirit of Versailles
http://www.myspace.com/thespiritofversailles
Toru Okada
http://www.myspace.com/toruokada
Circle Takes The Square
http://www.myspace.com/circletakesthesquare

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 12:19:16 AM »
can youll give me the example for the emo and the goth band that u know....???

Did you even read my post...

I gave an example for both...

Offline tempethegreat

• i'm the great guy!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 01:14:15 AM »
sorry for that.... :oops:
thanks for the information and the group example that you give.....

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 08:57:51 PM »
I just read that The Dillinger Escape Plan's co-founding member and drummer left dillinger to play with Coheed and Cambria... WTF...

here's an article about it

http://www.smnnews.com/2007/07/13/the-dillinger-escape-plan-discuss-drummer-change/

I like both bands, but this really just came out of no where. The Dillinger Escape Plan's mathcore is a far departure from coheed's more prog rock/post-hardcore.  I'm interested in how coheed's new album will sound. I know the article I posted says Pennie didn't record on the album, but I also read he recorded for the majority of it somewhere else. I'm still really confused about this whole thing :lol:

Also found out Atreyu has signed to RoadRunner Records

http://www.smnnews.com/2007/07/13/atreyu-sign-to-roadrunner-records/

This is another big WTF... Their last album sucked so much I'm surprised they'd sign them. At least they're not nickelback which is probably the biggest roadrunner records WTF of them all :lol:

Edit: Just changed the name/subject of the thread to make it more accessible to everyone :P
So whatever you want to talk about rock music of any kind, be it classic rock, or the heaviest metals, all can go here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:07:47 PM by StreakInTheSky »

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ishikawa Rika - Yoyo (Reunited Mix)