JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Magokoro no Michi

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 551236 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1760 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:28 AM »
He just came from a concert not more than a couple of hours ago, yet Mr Tom Green (as seen from the above post) has found yet moar epic finds about the new Jets. This time, the news deals specifically with one of our new goalies, Chris Mason. As it turns out, he's a fan of Bob Essensa (who played here during the early '90s and who was a fan favorite here in Peg Sheety when the previous incarnation of the team was still here).

Mason pumped about Winnipeg, new Jets Mask with Iron Maiden Mascot
By InGoal Magazine Staff On August 20, 2011

Chris Mason could hardly hide his excitement about packing up the family for Saturday’s drive to Winnipeg.

Not only was the trip from his summer home in native Red Deer, Alberta considerably closer than last year’s pre-season roadie to Atlanta, but with all due respect to the fans in Atlanta, Mason sees the chance to stop pucks for the Jets as a boyhood dream come true.

“I was definitely Bob Essensa on the driveway a lot,” Mason told InGoal Magazine shortly before leaving. “It’s home, or close to home, and any athlete would jump at the opportunity to play close to home, especially getting later in a career, having a couple young children, and being so accessible to our family. And playing for a team we grew up watching is another major honor for me. I just can’t wait.”

Aiding in Mason’s excitement is what is waiting for him Monday in Winnipeg — his new mask, a first for the new Jets franchise.

Commissioned especially for him and painted by Steve Nash of Eyecandyair, Mason put a lot of thought into his new lid, and not just because it will become a piece of history as part of the first NHL season back in Winnipeg. Mason has always put a lot of effort into his masks, taking the time to sketch out his own ideas and then counting on  Nash “to make it 10 times better.”

That wasn’t easy this time, in part because they haven’t seen the uniform, but after carefully considering retro and tribute themes, they focused instead on the Jets name and new logo, adding in an Iron Maiden twist to produce some impressive results.

Mason’s thoughts on the process are mixed in with the pictures below – and he talks more about Winnipeg-versus-Atlanta from a player’s perspective at the bottom – but for more of Nash’s fantastic work please follow them on Twitter and ”like” their Facebook page today. You can also click on the pictures to go direct to their Mason page.

“We went back and forth, lots of phone calls, and I sent Steve some sketches and he did some art and sent him back and we mulled over a bunch of different ideas, and then he came up with the Iron Maiden Eddie in the old fighter jet and I thought it was perfect and I loved the image and thought that was really appropriate for the Jets,” Mason said of the band’s famous mascot.  ”I’m a fan of a few songs and Aces High is one song I really like too, so it’s kind of perfect I like the song and the artwork for the single was this Eddie in a plane.”

The Iron Maiden Eddie in question appeared on the Aces High album cover, and was originally created by artist Derek Riggs, an artist that inspired Steve Nash throughout his own career.

The Jets theme continues with a team logo on the chin (below) and military wings extending from the front up the sides.

“We did a modified Jets logo and put my number (50) on the wing, and I think it looks awesome with the Maple Leaf behind the jet,” Mason said. “I’m a big fan of the logo, and I just love having the Maple Leaf on my mask, so I’m really excited about that.”

The back plate (below) is where things get personal for Mason, who is expecting his second daughter in October.

“Steve came up with an eagle family done in native art style,” said Mason, who will once again be wearing a mask made by Tony Priolo at Sportmask. “It’s a mother eagle protecting her two young children with sky in background. I think it just looks awesome.”

(If you look closely, you can spot the family name spelt out across the wings)

Mason had repeated praise for the work put in by the husband-and-wife duo of Steve and Steph at EyeCandyAir, especially under difficult circumstances given the lack of information on the look of the new Jets jerseys. And if the team eventually decides to pay more respects to their past with a throwback jersey night, don’t be surprised if Mason and Nash are working together again on a retro-themed lid.

That one will be easier to figure out.

“Definitely my favorite Jets mask was Bob Essensa,” Mason said of the current Boston Bruins’ goalie coach. “So if they do a third jersey with something like that I would have definitely one something like his or close to his because I loved his masks.”

For now, Mason is just happy to follow in Essensa’s skate strides, instead of pretending to in his driveway.

“I’m so excited to get to Winnipeg,” Mason said. “I’ve always wanted to play in Canada and I’m just really excited to get that chance. I know it might not be the most popular answer for people in Atlanta but that’s how I feel. I’m looking forward to this a lot.

“It was tough in Atlanta because in my opinion it just wasn’t an optimal hockey market. The fans there were awesome but there just wasn’t a broad range of support, so it was tough some nights to have that feeling it didn’t matter so much and hockey wasn’t the most important thing. Going to Winnipeg you’re not going to have that feeling at all. It’s going to be everywhere, it’s going to be the opposite spectrum.”
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://ingoalmag.com/masks/masons-new-winnipeg-jets-mask-includes-iron-maiden-mascot/

CHECK OUT THE INK!

LEFT | FRONT | RIGHT

TOP | BACK

LINK TO THE WEBSITE OF THE ARTIST TO CREATED THE MASK (all mask pics courtesy of EYECANDYAIR) -
http://www.eyecandyair.com OR
http://www.eyecandyair.com/goaliemasks/chrismasonjetsmask.htm

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1761 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
I like the mummy with native indian shit! Evander Kane also keeping #9 eh? And Golden Jet approved.

Hey did you hear about Bhulin's daughter Sasha dating Pjaarvi? XD lol source http://twitter.com/SashaKhabibulin

he should be out of his pink underwear soon to kick his ass XD

BREAKING NEWS!!!  Ethan Moreau has signed with the Kings.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1762 on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:20 AM »
Another death? First Boogie Man. Rypien. And Wade Belak. What the hell. There must be a probe.

couldn't stand him on the Leafs, but can't deny the grit.

RIP Belak.  :(

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1763 on: September 02, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
WOO! Can't wait for next Tuesday! :cow:

Jet jersey unveiling set for Tuesday
By: Ed Tait | Posted: 09/1/2011 4:22 PM

WINNIPEG — The long wait is almost over for fans of the Winnipeg Jets: the club will officially unveil their uniforms, including the new home and away jerseys, Tuesday, Sept. 6.

And given the new logo’s connection with the Canadian Air Force, the locale should surprise no one: the 17 Wing Winnipeg base in St. James.

The announcement will end a summer-long wait for fans eager to both see and purchase the team’s new look. The team’s faithful have been so fascinated with the uniform, a recent story on a sneak peek at the hockey pants provided via Twitter by Jets’ winger Blake Wheeler was among the most read items on winnipegfreepress.com.

As well, earlier this week federal RCMP officers and Canada Border Services agents seized a shipment of counterfeit jerseys worth approximately $12,000.

Tentatively, they will wear their new uniforms for the first time in split-squad exhibition games against the Columbus Blue Jackets at MTS Centre and Nationwide Arena in Columbus on Sept. 20th. The Jets’ first regular-season game is Sunday, Oct. 9th vs. the Montreal Canadiens.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Jet-jersey-unveiling-set-for-Tuesday-128911343.html

And yet, I can't help but wonder if this other story from the newspaper had anything to do with the sudden announcement about the unveiling.  :P

These just won't fly -- fake Jets jerseys seized
By: Staff Writer | Posted: 09/1/2011 1:00 AM

THE RCMP have made the first save for the Winnipeg Jets.

Federal RCMP officers and Canada Border Services agents have seized a shipment of counterfeit Winnipeg Jets jerseys.

Forty jerseys, complete with the new logo and shoulder flashes, were seized and are estimated to be worth approximately $12,000, police said Wednesday.

Jets spokesman Scott Brown said the team was "extremely pleased" with the seizure.

"We've known for a while that the RCMP were being proactive in their investigation with counterfeit and fake goods," he said.

The team was told earlier this summer Jets jerseys would be one of the most popular items for fraudsters. Brown said the Jets have passed on whatever information they have gathered about the counterfeit jerseys to the authorities and will continue to do so.

"We won't take the lead (in the investigation) but we'll help out wherever we can," he said.

Brown said the seized jerseys were indeed fakes, as are others currently being sold on various websites.

"It will be very clear in the very near future that they are counterfeit and fake jerseys," he said.

The team hasn't set a date when it will unveil the real jerseys but Brown said it will be soon.

"It's not this week," he said.

The team's home opener is Oct. 9 and its first pre-season game is in three weeks.

The RCMP are cautioning the public to make sure they purchase team products through authorized dealers.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/these-just-wont-fly----fake-jets-jerseys-seized-128867523.html

Now while those counterfeit ones (which, despite what the RCMP thinks, likely only cost $50 a jersey to buy) actually look decent, imagine if they hadn't been seized by the RCMP, and the people that had bought them had actually received them. They would've looked (and hopefully felt) like such douchebags if the real jerseys were unveiled and turned out to be completely different. :lol:

Patience is a virtue people. :yep:

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1764 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1765 on: September 03, 2011, 07:22:22 AM »

Video
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:37:14 AM by Tom Green »

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1766 on: September 04, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »
Here are a bunch of promo videos NHLWinnpeg put together

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:59:06 AM by Tom Green »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1767 on: September 06, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »
NEW WINNIPEG JETS JERSEYS UNVEILED BABY!! :rockon:

In keeping with the fact that the teams new look pays homage to the Royal Canadian Air Force, the jerseys were unveiled at Peg Sheety's 17 Wing Air Base. Props to Andrew Ladd, Eric Fehr, Nik Antropov, and Mark Stuart for playing "male models". :lol:

Winnipeg Jets unveil Home & Away Jerseys
Tuesday, 06.09.2011 / 12:00 PM / News Articles

True North Sports & Entertainment today proudly unveiled their dark home and white away jerseys for the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club at a ceremony held at 17 Wing in Winnipeg in front of a Dash 8, CF-18, and Hercules airplanes. The Jets will begin play in the National Hockey League in 2011-12 when they open up against the Montreal Canadiens on Sunday, Oct. 9th at 4:00 p.m. at MTS Centre.

The jerseys consist largely of two shades of blue. The primary navy blue base of the home dark jerseys is referred to as “Polar Night Blue” which is found on many of today’s Royal Canadian Air Force planes, including the Dash 8. The lighter, secondary blue is called “Aviator Blue” which is similar to the historical colours by used the RCAF, including traditional RCAF flags and the jerseys of the 1948 RCAF Flyers. The jersey also features the previously unveiled primary logo on the front, with the secondary logo placed on the shoulders of each jersey.

“We wanted to create a look that worked well with Reebok’s modern and innovative “Edge System” uniforms,” said Kevin Cheveldayoff, Executive Vice-President & General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets. “However, it was also vitally important to us to honour the rich history of hockey in our city, and fit the era of the Royal Canadian Air Force which inspired the primary crest design. The result is clean, simple and traditional.”

"Our men and women in uniform are delighted by the gracious manner in which the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club has sought to pay tribute to our time-honoured relationship with this city," said Colonel Blaise Frawley, Commander of 17 Wing.  "Today's announcement at our home in Winnipeg certainly lends a boost to our morale."

This season, Winnipeg Jets jerseys will also include a commemorative, opening night patch when they face the Canadiens on Oct. 9th, as well as commemorative inaugural season patch which will be featured during every other game in 2011-2012, Winnipeg’s first since re-joining the National Hockey League.

Fans will be able to pre-order Winnipeg Jets jerseys by logging on to www.winnipegjets.com beginning today at 4:00 p.m. and ordering through “Jets Gear” the authentic team store of the Winnipeg Jets. Besides customizing their own name and number on the jersey, or that of their favorite player, fans who order their jerseys through Jets Gear will also have the exclusive option to include the inaugural season patch. These patches will only be available to fans through Jets Gear.

“Authentic” Pro Weight Winnipeg Jets jerseys will be available in Jets Gear in early October while “Premier” Replica jerseys will be available two to three weeks later.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=587723

VIDEO OF THE CEREMONY-
http://livestre.am/11k5P

PICS -

SEE FULL PIC GALLERY HERE - http://jets.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=23683&location=/photos&pg=1

I'm personally liking the look, but TBH, they're not that far off from the fake ones the RCMP nabbed last week. LOL

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1768 on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »
Plane crashes in Russia killing majority of rosters which include Pavol Demitra, Karl Rachunek and Josef Vasicek.  :(

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/07/reports-plane-crashes-during-takeoff-in-russia-killing-36/?hpt=hp_t2

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1769 on: September 11, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
^ Youth team set to rebuild the legacy!

Nice Jets jersey, I like the sleeve :D wonder how many gonna show up at MTS in the old school?

Training camp opens up, Oilers and Nuck Rookies facing off tonite! Look at how we build team chemistry (no homo)

Chopper a KING!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1770 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »
goes to show what being a shitty team gives you a super talented Rookie squad. 7-2 blow out!!! poor MacT with his first gig behind the bench in years.

some recaps here: http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=122744

next up: THE JETS! on tues :P

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1771 on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »
Winnipeg Jets Win there first game back in 15 years

Winnipeg Jets  4   San Jose Sharks  0

Off topic here is a pic of what the season tickets look like

GO JETS GO

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:36:10 AM by Tom Green »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1772 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »
lololol

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1773 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
^
As the guy in the video said, that's why your coaches always tell you "Make sure you keep your head up."
:lol:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1774 on: September 14, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »
Winnipeg Jets Win there first game back in 15 years

and first loss :P 2-0  Tyler BUNZ :shakeit: with the goose egg.

GO OILERS GO!!

This season is gonna be so fun smack talking :D What tickets did you guys get?

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1775 on: September 15, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »
The Dallas Stars are expected to file bankruptcy today.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1776 on: September 15, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
^
Seroiusly? I thought they were doing well down there (financially speaking).
:O

This season is gonna be so fun smack talking :D What tickets did you guys get?
None as of yet. :(

Didn't have the fundage to commit to a season ticket package. However True North made it a point to keep a certain percentage of tickets available during each game for "walk up" purchases, so we're hoping and planning to be able to hit those up a few times this season. There was actually supposed to be some sort of announcement today made by the Jets regarding those tickets (I'm guessing it's probably how many will be available per game and what prices they'll be going for), however they've postponed the announcement until sometime tomorrow (Friday, Sept.16th,2011).

EDIT -
A video stream replay of the announcement is available HERE:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/LIVE-Jets-to-make-ticket-announcement-129837273.html

Long story short, instead of leaving them for regular "walk up" purchases, there will be a "lottery" of sorts to determine who gets the remaining Jets' tickets (i.e. the ones that were NOT included in the season-ticket purchases) this season.
Jets to use random draws for individual tix
By: Tim Campbell
Posted: 09/14/2011 4:47 PM | Last Modified: 09/16/2011 3:33 PM

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Jets are instituting a random draw to sell the remaining tickets to their game this season, the NHL's first here since 1995-96.

The draw allows for a fair and equal distribution of game tickets, as the team said today successfully drawn applicants can "win" only once. The successful purchaser will be sent a code to open access to either two tickets for a single game, or single tickets to two games.

The team's website, jets.nhl.com, is now open for taking ballots for fans wanting individual-game tickets.

Tickets will go on sale the third Saturday of each month this season. October games go on sale Sept. 24, then November games go on sale Oct. 15 and so on.

Ballot entries will be open throughout the season and fans won't have to re-enter each month. Only one ballot is permitted per name and credit card number.

The team sold 13,000 season tickets for their 15,003-seat MTS Centre in June and True North CEO Jim Ludlow said today the Jets anticipate that an average of 600 tickets will be available through the drawing for each game.

"The number will vary, but it's in the range of 600 tickets per game," Ludlow said. "Right now, we think it gives everybody a chance to come to a game. We have lots of demand, not much supply.

"We thought the first-come, first-served method tended to favour some people who are getting to the front of the line all the time."

Ludlow said that more than 50 per cent of the tickets that will be available will be in the upper-deck P7 sections.

The team has also chosen a variable-pricing policy for its individual-game sales.

A games will go for $60.45 for the P7 sections all the way up to $199.95 for P1 tickets. Those include opponents Montreal, Pittsburgh, Washington, Anaheim, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

B games will range from $54.60 to $180.60 while C games will go from $48.75 to $161.25.

The category of games goes by date, not team, as Carolina and Ottawa are on both the B and C lists. The full schedule of A, B, and C games is available on at jets.nhl.com

I dunno, I've got mixed feelings about this. While it's true that this lottery system will give a wider range of people a more fair shot at getting tickets since it takes out the factor of whether or not one is free to actually stand in line (which obviously, not everyone has), I'm not liking that if one DOES manage to score a win, you can ONLY win one time per season, and then you're limited to ONLY 2 tickets per win, meaning you can go with a buddy to 1 game, or you can go solo to 2 games.

Of course, myself and Tom Green have already signed up to be eligible to be part of the draws. :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:52:43 AM by JFC »

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1777 on: September 17, 2011, 07:12:59 AM »
Winnipeg Jets Photo shoot

Looks like i may have a hook up for the Winnipeg Jets. My sister works for the media here so i hope she can get me a couple of tickets threw out the year  :twothumbs

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1778 on: September 19, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
^ NOICE!! And did you get autographs with Evander Kane? saw they had a sesh at Future Shop.

went to the Oilers annual intersquad game aka Joey moss Cup yest aft, saaw Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini hardworking on their smartphones (along with every Asian in the building)

more pix later!

ETA:

SMYTTIE!!! :bow: he was already in it, throwing bodies around.

And Hordichuk too, love how he created something out of nothing

Gotta say. Anton Lander really impressed. And Teemu Hatikanen was like bum rushing with the soft touch. Look out for Tulupov ! dude hitting everything in sight.

here's Magnus Pääjärvi welcoming Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to the team:

RNH's defensive prowess impressed, backchecking when shit was fucked. And Taylor Hall taking it physical, throwing the body on the ice.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 08:28:44 AM by daigong »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1779 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:50 AM »

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Viyuden - Magokoro no Michi