JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kobushi Factory - GO TO THE TOP!!

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 999014 times)

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2920 on: December 21, 2014, 05:52:16 PM »
It's exactly why I got a WiiU instead of the other 2, total lack of backwards comp and maybe 1 or 2 games I want to play for now, and waiting months for the good ones to come out, plus the higher price.

WiiU no longer has the problem of too few good games it now has an abundance of very good games, is cheap and I can play my Wii games on it that I haven't beaten yet, great!

I'll give the PS4 until SFV comes out in 2016 or so to grow it's library and get cheaper, before I get one.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2921 on: December 24, 2014, 01:37:45 AM »
PS4 and Xbox One are still in that phase that the Wii U went through in it's first year where there were few games out at the time to justify the purchase of a new console. That's all changed now as time goes on and the console dropped in price and the same will be true of the PS4 and Xbox One eventually. Right now though, I wouldn't be rushing out to buy either of them just yet.

It's approaching that time, so I'm curious if anyone has some gaming related stories around Christmas time? Any memorable moments, a game gift you got which you desperately wanted as a kid or a surprise gift which went on to be one of your favourite games ever etc?

There's three that jump out at me. One was getting the PS1 along with Tomb Raider, FFVII and a game compilation which included Broken Sword (fantastic), Road Rash (eh) and Myst (my least favourite game ever lol). It was the first proper console I had all to myself and I became so enthralled with Tomb Raider and FFVII as they were unlike anything I had ever seen before, especially FFVII and the amount of time spent on it is what got me into gaming proper.

Second is getting the Dreamcast. This took me completely off guard as I didn't know anything about the console, so I went into games like Shenmue, Jet Set Radio and Metropolis Street Racer completely blind and sure enough, they have gone on to be some of my favourite games of all time. I cannot stress enough how important Shenmue was to me, few games have ever come close to capturing how unique it is. My fondness of the Dreamcast only grew after getting games like Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventure.

Last one isn't tied to receiving anything on Christmas Day, but I distinctly remember around the time, playing Metroid Prime and reaching the Phendrana Drifts area for the first time. When you reach it, just like with any new area, a cutscene kicks in giving you a sweeping show of what the area looks like. Phendrana Drifts is covered in ice and snow and it looked gorgeous (even now the art design in that game is still impressive) and when the music set in with it's gentle piano and soaring vocals, oh it was just wonderful. When you are then in control, I looked up at the snow falling and appreciated the attention to detail that game had as the snowflakes landed on Samus visor. Sure enough, I looked outside my window and it was also snowing. It was a perfect sync that still sticks out.

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #2922 on: December 24, 2014, 03:42:02 AM »
My last console was PS2...

But I'm glad some PS3 games have been getting PC ports lately...

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2923 on: December 24, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
If you did or didn't know, kimmu and I were involved in a contest!

We challenged each other to not buy any games and work on our respective backlogs instead, from 8th January 2014 to 8th January 2015.
The loser would have to buy the winner 10 games from the winner's steam wishlist (it would count down every month by one game)

So, on twitter, this happened..

Which lead to me getting after work...

No regrets, this thing is great XD

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2924 on: December 25, 2014, 07:49:25 AM »
i thought it was pretty cool that gran turismo 6 has christmas music playing whilst you're in the main menu section

EDIT: i just signed in to grid 2 and the announcer guy just wished me merry christmas  :cow:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:56:45 PM by john_hung »

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2925 on: December 30, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
just bought battlefield 4 for ps3 for only 9 bucks via playstation store  :twothumbs

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2926 on: December 31, 2014, 01:58:41 AM »
I may have broken Deadly Premonition :lol: I'm only on Chapter 2 but I've already got the best car in the game, York's car and an infinite flamethrower. I didn't really follow the story so much and decided to break away to do the side quests, just making sure to always get to the place on time. But seeing as in game time passes by so slowly anyway, it doesn't really matter as you can easily clean up any side missions you find within good time. I made it a point to do the races and collect trading cards which gives me bonuses so I had a pile of cash to afford the repairs to Yorks car. And my compulsive side led me to find all the bones right away for Brian's quest, which led to the infinite flamethrower. I also have an infinite sub machine gun.

Not that it matters too much, it's not an especially difficult game anyway. Just a very weird and charming one. Don't you agree Zach?

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #2927 on: December 31, 2014, 04:53:34 AM »
Literally dusted off my Dreamcast and replaying Shenmue.

Even now I'm finding new things never encountered before.

Kind of sad that no modern 3D adventure game has ever come close to its detail.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2928 on: December 31, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
I may have broken Deadly Premonition :lol: I'm only on Chapter 2 but I've already got the best car in the game, York's car and an infinite flamethrower. I didn't really follow the story so much and decided to break away to do the side quests, just making sure to always get to the place on time. But seeing as in game time passes by so slowly anyway, it doesn't really matter as you can easily clean up any side missions you find within good time. I made it a point to do the races and collect trading cards which gives me bonuses so I had a pile of cash to afford the repairs to Yorks car. And my compulsive side led me to find all the bones right away for Brian's quest, which led to the infinite flamethrower. I also have an infinite sub machine gun.

Not that it matters too much, it's not an especially difficult game anyway. Just a very weird and charming one. Don't you agree Zach?

Are you playing the Directors Cut on Ps3?

I had the car and flamethrower very early on as well, but I didn't use the flamethrower a lot. It's only really useful against a certain frustrating enemy.
And I "lost" Yorks car. XD
I parked outside the Art Museum and when I came back out it was gone. And I didn't realise until the end of the game, that alll the cars you bought, were always waiting in the hotel parking lot  :banghead:
I also completely ignored the fast travel item you get from a certain sidequest and spent needless hours driving around with the car instead just teleporting to certain places.
Also it doesn't matter if you miss the timeslot for a mission, the game will just skip to the next day and you can do it then, so you have all the time in the world. No consequences.

I hope you enjoy the game. The gameplay may not be fun sometimes, but it makes up for it with everything else. Also it had my personal HOLYSHITWTF Moment in gaming this year XD

Iin other news: I finally beat Lightning Returns!
1h17m05s! No record breaking time, but I'm so glad I beat that motherfucker of a final boss XD
Now there are two optional bosses left, I'll try at least one of them and maybe start the NG+.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2929 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
^ It's the Directors Cut yes. Flamethrower isn't as good as I thought. Doesn't kill enemies fast enough and if anything, makes them stronger as they come super fast at me that I can't avoid getting it. Today I did the chain of side quests to get the unbreakable wrench from Quint though so it's all good. :lol: I am enjoying it, there's few games like it out there. Despite how low budget it is, it is pretty ambitious. Saw the sinners sandwich scene earlier and was laughing pretty hard at it and the American Idiot sounding song playing during it. The soundtrack is so varied and weird, it's great. :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2930 on: January 11, 2015, 01:34:07 AM »
So...apparently this happens (feel free go and skip ahead to approx the 6:00 mark in the video if you don't want to see the extra-long buildup to it).

Watch One Of The World’s Fastest Tetris Players Complete A Round Playing With INVISIBLE Blocks
- http://www.brobible.com/life/article/fastest-tetris-invisible/

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2931 on: January 11, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
Evolve, the upcoming multiplayer shooter from the team behind Left 4 Dead, will be coming out soon and as expected, they're offering incentives to pre order their game. Except, it goes beyond character skins or an additional weapon or two. Instead, the incentive is unlocking the best equipment, monster classes and even an all new exclusive monster character class instantly, skipping grinding entirely.

So I really disagree with this unlock. As someone who plays competitive multiplayer shooters, the expectation of going into such a game, from day one, is that there is a fair amount of balance, that everyone's in the same or similar position as you as you go through the ranks to create something of a level playing field. By the sounds of things, this unlock upsets that balance if other players have access to the best equipment, the best abilities and even in this case, a whole new character class right from the get go. It'll create an awful imbalance of players between those who didn't preorder the game against those who did, especially when the players who did preorder gain the best version of any abilities in the game and additional stat bonuses like damage increases. It's no longer down to player skill but how more willing to put down money are you.

I'm not opposed to micro transactions in general. If someone wants to pay money to go up 10 or 20 levels in Tales of Vesperia or to buy a new car in Forza then more power to them, can't say I would. But for competitive multiplayer games, particularly when it's around locked content that impacts on the game balance itself, then I disagree entirely.I used to be ok with preorders and what content goes along with it but a case like Evolve is very different from an additional side quest or character skins. It really tests the limits and I really don't like where we are at around pre orders in general now. Particularly considering the high profile cases last year with DriveClub, AC Unity and Halo MCC. Publishers are happy to offer you incentives to take your money from you regardless of how ready the game is.

I can see this turning away a lot of players from Evolve and it's such a shame considering Left 4 Dead is one of my favourite games from the last generation.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2932 on: January 20, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
Just bought Another World – 20th Anniversary Edition on PSN, because it was only 2,99 (instead of 7,99)
I played Flashback back on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive but could never get my hands on a copy of Another World.
You could say I've been dying to play this game for 20 Years XD

Offline TeriyakiBoi

• Member+
  • Fantasy Football Champion (3 in 5 years)
« Reply #2933 on: January 21, 2015, 08:10:28 AM »
My brother bought me a copy of Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell today just hours after he loaded up his pre-ordered copy.  So far it's not as bad as some of the "purists" make it out to be.  The flying element takes some getting used to initially but once you get the upgrades, it becomes progressively easier.  I haven't played much of it (maybe like an hour so far) but I plan to play it through since I need something else to play besides mod-hunting for Skyrim.
"Chicks dig the long ball" - Greg Maddux

Offline Soike

• ecchi
« Reply #2934 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
I've always been more into physical games instead of digital downloads but the prices in Australia are just ridiculous.  This last 12 months I've bought about 40 games and only 7 have been retail versions.  Retailers need to sort this out or they'll go the same way as video stores. 

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #2935 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:35 AM »
How much do new console games cost average now in Australia? just curious. :)

Here in HK its around HK$300-500.

Offline Soike

• ecchi
« Reply #2936 on: January 28, 2015, 01:18:23 AM »
New release is usually $89-$99 for xbone and ps4, wii u is around $79.  Only in the last month have launch titles for xbone gone below $40.   

Xbone is currently $500 with just the console (no kinnect) and ps4 is $549.  A few retailers do deals where you get a couple games but they're usually crap games or download tokens so you can't even trade them after.  Wii U is $429 and the 500gb ps3 is retailing for $399 as well, console only. 

Offline desertfox

• ecchi
« Reply #2937 on: January 28, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
have just PO GTA V on steam
can't wait for the release date.. :D

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2938 on: January 28, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Sunset Overdrive has some of the best re-spawn animations

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2939 on: January 28, 2015, 07:21:21 PM »
My brother bought me a copy of Saints Row: Gat Out Of Hell today just hours after he loaded up his pre-ordered copy.  So far it's not as bad as some of the "purists" make it out to be.  The flying element takes some getting used to initially but once you get the upgrades, it becomes progressively easier.  I haven't played much of it (maybe like an hour so far) but I plan to play it through since I need something else to play besides mod-hunting for Skyrim.
Gotten it, ragequitted it already. The "rescue twins" mission is just impossible difficulty, having to take down 5 shielded flying Inciters when you are being perma-juggled to death by 3-4 big Archduke-sized demons..oh yeah, and those big demons are completely immune to superpowers.
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kobushi Factory - GO TO THE TOP!!