JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Cry Cry (Ballad Ver.)

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485665 times)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2220 on: December 19, 2009, 09:35:11 AM »
What is a good video player that plays HD quality flawlessly? 
I'm having trouble watching videos in HD format with a high resolution (ex. 1440x810) on my computer.  Either with WMP11, VLC, or Quicktime.  it craps out with pauses and skips.

Now it may be my computer, which is a laptop, but mine not that old and I THINK it should play it well, but maybe I'm wrong... it's a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC dv9610us (list as dv9500), so it's not that bad. 
specs are, I dunno if it's matters or not:

-32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
-AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-58 1.90GHz
-4.00GB RAM Memory
-320GB HD (really 289GB) free 152GB.
-Nvidia Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M; 1047 MB total available graphics memory
- Primary monitor resolution: 1440x900 (so unless I'm pushing it, I thought this means watching the 1440x810 and other lower resolution shouldn't cause a problem).

really, if anything, I just want to know a good media player that is best to view HD videos. that is, if my computer is not the problem...

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2221 on: December 19, 2009, 11:37:52 AM »
Media Player Classic is probably your best bet for video players.

I'd also recommend using the Combined Community Codec Pack - http://www.cccp-project.net/

Offline konsolero

« Reply #2222 on: December 19, 2009, 05:49:47 PM »
There are players that use Windows Directshow technology like WMP or Media player classic and players that come with built in codecs. You can try some players with built in codecs if WMP is giving you trouble. Here's a list with some of the best free players: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-windows-media-player-replacement.htm

You might also have a background process running that causes stuttering. Use Windows Task Manager or ProcessExplorer to shut down programs you don't need. Link for ProcessExplorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2223 on: December 19, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »
Here's a new one.

I'm visiting my parents and I want to use my Wii. Because I have a HDTV at home, it's outputting in 480p. I only get gibberish currently.

My parents only have older TVs, so I need to turn it back to 480i. I only have the component cable with me currently.

Any ideas?

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2224 on: December 19, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »
Some ideas from other places online:
Only plug in the green component video input into the yellow video composite input.  You should get a black-and-white image.  At this point, you can use the menu settings like normal.  This seems to work for most people.

Another suggestion someone put up is:
"- Power on Wii, give it a few seconds to boot
- Hold DOWN on the directional pad of the Wii remote
- While holding DOWN, press the RESET button on the Wii

The Wii reboots and the screen settings are back to default. All my other settings (wifi, console name, etc.) were intact."

This sometimes doesn't work, according to some other people, and I think it may have to do with firmware version or even the hardware itself, since nintendo changes how they put them together occasionally.

3rd option:
If all these don't work, you could try the tactile-feedback method:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/39309975/m/642001137831?r=236001137831#236001137831
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:36:25 PM by Slack »
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2225 on: December 20, 2009, 03:33:55 AM »
Media Player Classic is probably your best bet for video players.

I'd also recommend using the Combined Community Codec Pack - http://www.cccp-project.net/

I'm currently using K-lite Mega Codec Pack, version 5.4.4.  is that just as good?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2226 on: December 20, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
^
It's good, but I'd have to say CCCP is better/more efficient. It doesn't use up as much of your computers' resources to run, and it is able to do the same job as K-Lite, but with fewer elements.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2227 on: December 20, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
What is a good video player that plays HD quality flawlessly? 
-Nvidia Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M; 1047 MB total available graphics memory
Your biggest problem will be that the mobile version of this GPU is not strong enough to run HD content:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobogpu_nb_7series_specs.html

it says 1080i and 720p, so the hardware will have a problem already, codecs will not always help against that.

I currently use a HP dv9600 (1.6GHz and with a GeForce 8400) and anything above 720p doesn't really run (but then again I use a powerfull mediacenter PC connected to the TV to view most of the content)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
MIDI editor
« Reply #2228 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »
Sent a few MIDI files to my cheepie prepaid mobile phone but noticed that they don't start chirping until after a few seconds.  Is there a freebie program that can snip off the seconds of silence at the beginning of the file?

Yeah, this is so nineties...

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2229 on: December 22, 2009, 03:16:03 AM »
^ Maybe something like this?:
http://midi.mathewvp.com/midiTrim.htm
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #2230 on: December 22, 2009, 05:49:28 AM »
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.  Wish I could fine-tune the endpoint cut though...

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2231 on: December 24, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
I'm looking for a way to save some pictures that I uploaded to my iPhone 3GS back onto my computer, but i can't seem to access it with iTunes.  If I try to sync other photos it would erase my current jpg.  i want to save my pictures (not taken with the iPhone camera) and be able to upload additional photos...

PLEASE HELP! 

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2232 on: December 24, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

The syncing of photos into the photo album is strictly one-way, as far as I can tell.
You generally tell iTunes to sync a given folder(s) that contain all your photos, and it just updates your phone's photo album to reflect that folder.
So in order to add more photos to your phone, you'd put them into the folder(s) that gets synced.

The photos are optimized and translated into some proprietary format, so you can't really copy photos from your phone to say, some other person's computer.
What you could do though, is display the photo, then take a screenshot (push home and sleep at the same time), which would appear in your camera roll.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2233 on: December 24, 2009, 06:37:21 PM »
yah, this one-way only transfer is exactly the problem... 

I'd sync that folder of pics I'd have into the iPhone, then delete it (3GB) and now I wanted to add some more, but then it said that if I'd Sync Photos, it'll overwrite my current ones. So before that, I wanted to save those photos in my computer again, so I can sync it together with the new ones, and save it for future. 
Problem is I can't access/transfer my pics to my computer. 
I'd tried copytrans and tansee, but those won't do much unless I'd pay for the software. 
your i'd tried your screenshot method and i does work, but I have over 3000 pics, around 2-3GB, and I don't want to do it one by one, is there a way to do it in massive amounts?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2234 on: December 25, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
^ (hurray for user friendly software)

Can't you just  right-click the iPhone icon and browse??

(maybe search macrumors or somesuch?)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401043

Sending 3GB by eMail might be problematic also.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2235 on: December 27, 2009, 09:32:57 AM »
I having problems with some videos on WMP11.  I sometimes try to play a video on WMP11 but only the audio play, not the video, sometimes, it won't play at all.  Though it does work on VLC media player...

I'm guessing it's a codec problem.  I currently have K-lite Codec Mega Pack version 5.5.1. there is alot of configuration during install and I may have mess up the settings on it during install, since I don't know much about it, I tend to keep it alone...

how do I fix it so I WMP11 can play both audio and video, and also able to play at other times.

P.S. i believe the videos that only play audio, not video are encoded as H.264.  the other problem, I don't know...

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #2236 on: December 27, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
Probably don't have the required codecs.

Try ffdshow. But iirc K-Lite includes ffdshow, so you might wanna look under the ffdshow options; specifically the AVC/h264 ones.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2237 on: December 27, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
I'm guessing it's a codec problem.  I currently have K-lite Codec Mega Pack version 5.5.1. there is alot of configuration during install and I may have mess up the settings on it during install, since I don't know much about it, I tend to keep it alone...
You can use mediainfo to check what is actually in a file.

I tend to be simple with the codecs these days: shark007
The only changes I make have to do with the audio out, as I have S/PDIF I change the seetings for AC3 and DTS to pass-thru thats it.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2238 on: December 28, 2009, 05:39:16 PM »
fix the problem thanks.  I actually just go into the ffdshow video codec and enable x264 and now those videos have both audio AND video working.

EDIT:  I have a another issue.  How do I join subtitles for a movie that is one, instead of 2 parts?
I have a list of subtitling software, but I don't know how to do that one each one...

-Subtitle Workshop 4 beta 4 (I use this and not 2.51 cuz the latter always abruptly close down everytime).
-DVDSubEdit 1.51
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:49:53 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2239 on: December 29, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Cry Cry (Ballad Ver.)