JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: LOVE CRESCENDO - RIFLE GIRL

Author Topic: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)  (Read 84285 times)

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
Hahaha, actually, I just finished reading a book where in one brief scene, a grandmother painted a fake moustache on her sleeping granddaughter.  I got a big kick out of it.  Unfortunately, the granddaughter wasn't asleep on a train, but at home.

Thanks, Tinnygy.  And hey, I've already stolen Miki's career away from her and made her start working as- oops, I almost gave it away.  Hah, stay tuned soon...

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »
Chapter 9

The following few days passed by eventfully.

The next day - a Sunday - Aya was ordered to her boss' office.  She got a call early in the morning, and she'd reluctantly dragged herself out of bed and into suitable meeting clothes.  In the short time I'd spent with her, I'd grown attached and didn't want her to leave.

"Go find a job," she teased me as my hand weakly tried to grab a hold of her skirt and pull her back to me before she left.

I was successful in pulling her over to stand by the bed, but I did nothing else.  What could I do?  I was half asleep and she had to leave.  She bent down and kissed my forehead.

"I'll leave an extra key by the door.  Don't forget to use it," she said, and with that, she was gone.

I got up half an hour later and sent her an e-mail, to which she didn't reply.  She was probably in a meeting.  I got ready for the day and quickly dropped by the convenience store to buy a newspaper.  When I went to pay for it, the cashier gave me a friendly smile, as opposed to the robotic acknowledgement most people at convenience stores gave customers.

"Hi," he said as he began to ring up my purchase.

"Hi," I greeted him politely, wondering if all Family Mart employees in Tokyo were required to treat their customers like old mates from junior high school.

I paid, and with a "thanks", I left the store feeling good.

I got back to Aya's apartment, sitting down on the floor and spreading the newspaper's classified advertisements out in front of me.  There was nothing suitable available for me.  Nobody wanted someone with a partially finished degree in economics.  Nobody wanted an ex-waitress to work for them.  Also, I didn't want to work as an office lady at some second rate company office (which would probably be an easy job for me to get if I played nice in the interview).  I wanted something challenging.  Something that didn't have me doing the same thing over and over every minute of the day.

I sighed and grabbed my things.  It was time to go out into the field.

I wandered around the neighbourhood.  I spotted one "help wanted" sign, but I didn't have the qualifications to be a hair stylist.  I had to forego it.  I sighed and skipped over to Shinagawa on the train, wandering around the shopping centres.  There was nothing.  I couldn't even find a "help wanted" sign for a waitress job, which I would take to at least tide me over until I found something better.  I was pulled out of my bad mood by my phone ringing.  Aya had sent me an e-mail back.

That fortune slip was right.  I get to keep my job!  More details when I see you.  Where are you?

I smiled, happy for her, and incredibly relieved that she didn't lose her job because she was off having fun with me.  I wrote back.

Good.  At least one of us is having luck.  I'm job hunting nearby.  Nothing so far.  Know any places that want to hire a university dropout?

Her reply came quickly.

Have you tried offices?  I've found that a lot don't advertise that they need help.

I sighed.  Not the kind of job I wanted, but it was useful to know that there might be something out there that I just couldn't see.

I'll try that.  Thanks, I wrote.

Aya sent one last e-mail.

I'm going home now.  I'll see you later.  Let's go somewhere for dinner!

That wrapped up our communication for the time being.  At least I had something to look forward to - dinner.  It was hardly anything new, but she would probably take me to some tasty place or her favourite hangout, and it would be my first real meal in Tokyo since getting there.

I spent the afternoon wandering around Shinagawa, but not just searching for work.  I did a bit of browsing around the shops and the department stores.  I found no job, but I did see a shop I wanted to inspect further once I was settled and had a source of income.  It looked like it had been constructed for me personally.  Anything I would ever want to wear was hanging on the hooks in the small establishment.  So although I went back to Aya's place unemployed, I at least found yet another incentive to find a job.

I rang the doorbell when I got to Aya's.  I had a key, but I felt weird just walking in.  She came over and opened the door, rolling her eyes the minute she laid them on me and muttering something about how spare keys weren't just for show and were useful for something.  When I tried to give it back, she insisted on my keeping it.  She didn't specify how long I should keep it, but I put it in my mind to give it back once I moved out.

We sat down, and she explained what had happened.  Her boss had fought hard for her and had had the rest of the top heads of her music label admit that they needed Aya no matter what.  They had said she could stay, but they slapped her with a heavy warning that if she ever pulled any silly stunt like that again, they'd have no second thoughts about dumping her from their label.  She had received yet another stern lecture for an hour about the rules of the company, and she'd been made to promise to apologise to all the people involved in the Italy project that had not gone through.

"They were probably so lenient because the public didn't know about this project.  It was going to be one of those surprises that caught everyone off guard and then sucked them in.  If the country had known that Matsuura Aya was going to Italy to train, I would have been shot for deserting," she laughed.

Amused she may have been, but the idea of Aya being shot (even just metaphorically) made me sad.

"I'm glad you got to keep your job," I said quietly, not laughing along, and she smiled gratefully.

"What about you?" she asked.  "Any luck since we last talked?"

I shook my head.

"I checked some offices, but it's a little hard to just walk in and say 'hey, need help?'"

She nodded sympathetically.

"Well, it was only your first day," she said a little unnecessarily.  "Maybe you'll have more luck tomorrow."

She put a comforting hand on my shoulder and kept it there as we sat in silence, thinking about our own situations.  Maybe she was right.  Maybe her extremely lucky fortune slip had assured her that she'd get her job back with hardly any problems, while my own job would take some time to find.

"But now, let's go out to eat and celebrate."

We got up and went out for dinner.  She took me to an extremely expensive Thai food restaurant that she said she loved and ate at whenever she had an excuse to.  She told me in a confident tone that I'd enjoy it.  As we sat down and looked at menus, my heartbeat quickened when I saw the prices.  This was no place for me to be eating.  I didn't say a word, though, because I didn't want to ruin her thought-out dinner plans.  I chose the cheapest thing on the menu and asked for water.  Aya eyed me curiously.

"Water?"

I nodded.

"Water."

When she placed her order, she ordered cocktails for us, and I smiled cautiously, thanking her for thinking of me.

"And by the way, this dinner is free of charge," she said.

I wondered how that was possible.

"Do you know the owner or something?" I asked.

She shook her head.

"I don't know him.  This is from me."

I sighed and was about to tell her not to start doing this kind of thing, but she raised a hand for my silence.

"I wasn't able to give you a Christmas present," she said, reminding me both that I'd spent Christmas with Hiroshi and that I'd given her the stupidest gift.

I groaned inside and winced.  I wondered if she would even use the gift.

"Oven mitts don't equal dinner at the most expensive restaurant in this region," I mumbled, accidentally letting my opinion of the restaurant slip out.

She slapped my hand a little harder than I thought she would, and she gave me a sharp look.

"It's not supposed to be an equal trade," she reprimanded me.  "It's the thought that counts."

She sounded so angry.

"But..." I started, and her look hardened as if daring me to say something to oppose her opinion. 

I shrunk back and shut my mouth.

"If you don't want to be here, then you can go, but then you'll also be short one living space."

"If I don't let you buy me dinner, you'll kick me out of your apartment?" I asked in disbelief.

She nodded and then laughed.

"Do people usually have to threaten you before you'll accept a gift?"

"No," I sighed, "but I just don't want you to feel like you're obligated to give me anything or help me out with money.  I don't want to be a burden or a moocher."

"You're not a burden," Aya said quickly.  "You're really not.  I'm always here to help you.  Don't let your pride get in the way of common sense.  If you need help, you can always ask me.  I'd much rather you do that then suffer and get into situations that are hard to solve."

Drop the pride.  Ask for help.  Trust her.  She was asking a lot, but I had to try.

I thanked her, apologised, and thanked her again.  I made sure to relax and enjoy every bite of the delicious and late Christmas present.  We made a toast to Aya for getting to keep her job and to me for moving to a new city in pursuit of a new life.

When we got home later that evening, we were all partied out.  It was rather ridiculous that two young people like us would have gotten exhausted from dinner, but we couldn't stop ourselves from going to bed by eleven o'clock.  My eyes drooped shut as we lay there on our backs, side-by-side under the covers.  Aya seemed restless, however.  She started tapping out a rhythm with one finger on the back of my hand.

"What?" I asked her.

"Nothing," she replied quickly.

Who had given her coffee before bedtime?  She couldn't stop tapping out the rhythm.

"Uh..." I started.

I didn't mind her being restless, but tapping my hand repeatedly like a drum was a little weird.

"Sorry."

She stopped tapping and turned onto her stomach, breathing quietly, apparently calm.

My mind started to slip down a slide, descending into a pillowy bed of clouds...

Aya coughed and cleared her throat loudly.  My eyes snapped open, and she shifted a bit, her elbow brushing my shoulder.  When I closed my eyes again, she flipped onto her back.  When I opened my eyes, she rolled onto her side and faced me.  I turned my head to look at her, but her eyes were closed, so I looked back up at the ceiling.  As I was staring up and trying to imagine a starry sky, I noticed her eyes open, so I looked towards her again.  She closed her eyes quickly before she could be caught staring, and I thought that she was either dying to tell me something important or having some sort of strange, prolonged seizure.  I kept my eyes on her until she opened her eyes again, looking at me sheepishly.

Was she playing a game?  Was she not tired?

"What's up?" I asked, putting sleep on hold.

"I can't sleep," she said like a child.

"I noticed that," I snickered.  "Why?  Are you cold?"

I pulled the blanket up a bit more.

"No," she said with a shake of the head.  "I'm excited.

I raised my eyebrows.

"I'm just glad you're here," she admitted.  "I don't want you to go back to Hokkaido."

For reasons unfathomable to me, she cared so much.  It gave me so much hope.  I couldn't ever doubt what she felt when she went along saying things like this out of the blue.

"Me too."

I have to find a job tomorrow, I thought.

Even if it was just waitressing, I needed to show her that I was serious about staying in Tokyo.  I thought that part of her might grow worried if I did nothing to start finding my niche here.  If I got a job, an apartment, and made friends, she would see that I really wanted to stay.

"Tomorrow I'll find a job," I promised her.

Maybe she'd be able to get to sleep with that promise.  I took her hand and squeezed it.

"Mmm," she acknowledged.

We spoke no more than night, and we went to sleep.

The second eventful day passed by.  Aya woke me up by drying her hair.  Now that she was back, she had a job to do, and that meant waking up early in the morning.  I figured I may as well get out of bed and join her in getting ready for the day.

She launched into a list of things she had to do, but I didn't pay attention.  I was busy using her computer to look at a map of the neighbourhood.  I caught the words "filming" and "conference", so I assumed she'd be off doing some sort of "I'm Ayaya and I'm alive after these two months!" TV appearance.

She came by to say goodbye to me, but I only gave her a wave over my shoulder, too engrossed in what I was looking at for it to click in my mind that I wouldn't see her until late that night.  She pulled me back into the world literally by grabbing me and hefting me up awkwardly to stand in front of her, twisting me around and then hugging me.  It all happened in a blur, so I reacted instinctually and hugged back.  She pulled back and then leaned in to kiss me, at which point I deftly slipped out of her grasp, avoiding her and her poisonous lips, sitting back down on the floor and returning to scrutinising the map.  I hoped she hadn't noticed how shy and embarrassed I felt.  Of course she did.

"I estimate seven more days till you stop freaking out every time I get close to you," she announced.

"What?  I don't freak out," I said defensively, looking up at her.

She suddenly crouched down right beside me and stuck her nose against mine, making me pull back in surprise.

"Yes you do.  See?"

I rolled my eyes while trying to put some distance between us.

"Whatever's holding you back, though, cut it off.  It's not getting you anywhere."

She grinned, stuck her tongue out, and licked my nose.  I scrunched it up.

"You have a strange way of expressing your love," I stated with a glower.

"Oh, come on.  As if you wouldn't do that," she laughed.

Funny, she was right.  I would do the same kind of thing... if I'd known her longer than two months.  It was too early, though, to do that kind of thing and expect her to find it endearing.  But maybe I was wrong.  Maybe I could be my normal, weird self.  Maybe I should.

Aya patted me on the back, said goodbye, and left.  I sighed and hoped I hadn't offended her too much.

I went job hunting for the entire day.  I faced failure after failure.  I even went into a restaurant and offered my skills as a waitress or a chef, claiming that I could mix a mean cocktail and whip up the tastiest Hokkaido-style nikujaga.  The elderly owner gave me a wary send-off.

I took a break for lunch at a convenience store, sitting outside and eating quickly to keep from freezing.  It may have been warmer than Hokkaido, but cold weather was still cold weather.  To me, winter had only two settings – unbearably cold and even colder, each as bad as the other.

The afternoon was a flop.  My feet began to hurt from all the wandering and standing in one spot.  I couldn't find a job.  I headed back to Aya's apartment, completely dejected.  Before I crossed over to the main road, I dropped in at the 7-Eleven to pick up a snack to tide me over until dinner time.

As I stood in line, I read the various posters on the walls.  Nakashima Mika had a concert tour coming up in the spring, and I intended to go.  I hadn't listened to her latest album, but I'd spied it on Aya's shelf that morning.  I would definitely have a listen when I had a spare moment.  There was also an advertisement for some sort of winter illumination festival happening in Ebisu, and I wondered if it would be a good thing to go to.  I'd never seen the winter illumination in Tokyo, which was supposed to be world famous.  Then a help wanted sign caught my eye.

Wanted: Cheerful, enthusiastic youths for part time jobs.  Reasonable hours.  Great pay.  Start immediately.  Become part of the 7-Eleven team!.

It was my turn to pay.  I put my things down on the counter, and before I could stop myself, I opened my mouth and asked, "What would I have to do to get a job here?"

I pointed to the sign.  The cashier, a girl who looked around my age, looked at the sign and then looked back me.

"Um, bring your resumé and talk to our manager," she replied helpfully.

Simple.

I thanked her, paid for my snack, and left.

No.  I can't get a job at a convenience store, I scolded myself.  I can do better.

And yet I found myself going back to Aya's, printing out a copy of my resumé from the disc I'd brought, and walking back to the store I'd seen the sign at.

I'd worked at a convenience store when I'd gotten out of high school, so I had a good idea of how things worked in such stores.  My store had been a Family Mart, but they were all the same in the end.

I went back into the 7-Eleven.  The same girl wasn't surprised to see me, and she called the manager upon my request.

The manager, Fukuda, was younger than I'd expected.  I guessed he was in his mid-thirties.  He studied me carefully as I spoke, and he glanced at my resumé as I explained that I'd just moved to Tokyo a few days ago and had free time on my hands.  He listened some more and asked a few questions about my experience and whether I'd feel confident adapting to 7-Eleven after having worked at a Family Mart for almost two years.  What kind of fool searching for a job would say he wasn't confident?  I assured him I'd be okay, and I suddenly had a job without any check of credentials.  Fukuda told me that since I knew how to work the till, I'd probably only need a day or two of training to accustom myself to 7-Eleven's particular system and procedures.  He asked if I could come in the next day, and I said that I could.

An hour and a half later, I was walking back to the apartment with my new uniform shirt, a folder full of papers related to procedure, and a mind full of "are you stupid?!" thoughts running around.

I got back just past six and e-mailed Aya to tell her I was waiting.  She said she'd be back in about an hour, so I decided to run a bath and relax.  I sat in it for about half an hour, letting the hot water cure me of my aches and pains.  Before I could fall asleep, I got out, dried myself, and went off to get dressed.  Spotting my work shirt, I decided to quickly try it on to make sure it was the right size.  I went out to the entrance to look in the mirror, and while I stood there making sure I looked all right, the door opened and in walked Aya carrying a bag of groceries.  She noticed me right away and stopped in the middle of kicking her shoes off, staring at me.

"It's just a temporary thing until I can find a real job," I explained quickly.

She studied me and then walked over slowly.

"It's cute," she said finally, and she moved off to the kitchen.

Cute?  The uniform was cute?  No it wasn't.  It was hideous.  And didn't she have anything else to add?  An opinion?  A question as to how I'd gotten the job?

"Hey," I said, following her to the refrigerator, where she paused in putting away her recent purchases.

"Mmhmm?"

"Don't you think it's dumb?  Like, me working at 7-Eleven?"

She shook her head.

"I know you'll keep looking for something else," she smiled.

"I will," I reinforced.  "It's just that I saw the help wanted sign, and I used to work at a convenience store..."

Aya stood up and traced the company's emblem on my shirt, making me blush.

"I know it's not your dream to work at 7-Eleven for the rest of your life.  I don't think you're any less cool because you've got a part time job there."

I smiled and sighed.

"There you go lying and making me feel all good about myself."

She punched my arm in an ungentle way, and I rubbed it.

"Now go change!" she barked.  "You're going to cook for me!"

I laughed at her order, but I went to change into my pyjamas, folding my shirt carefully and putting it with my clean clothes.

Seeing that the bath was full, she decided to take a bath while I cooked.  We each took our sweet time.  By the time I finished preparing the nikujaga I claimed to be so good at making, Aya had gotten dressed in her pyjamas.

Pyjamas at eight pm and before dinner?  How very geriatric of us.

We sat down, turned on the television set, and chatted as we ate my delicious meal.  She loved it more than the Thai food we'd eaten the day before, or so she said.

"If you can cook for me every night, you can stay with me as many years as you want."

I laughed giddily, tempted to take her up on her offer.  We were interrupted an hour later by a phone call.  Aya took it, and for five minutes she sat there scheduling.  When she hung up, she told me that Shibata had had to cancel her Tuesday plans, but that that we'd meet up with her next weekend.  That worked perfectly for me since it turned out I was going to have a shift at the convenience store.  My joke had turned into reality.

We spent the rest of the night talking on the couch, where we fell asleep.  We woke up soon and dragged ourselves to the bed, where we proceeded to fall into it in a messy pile of limbs, falling back asleep almost instantly.

My new part time job was easy.  My training lasted only three hours.  I was quick on the uptake and was ringing up customers' purchases by lunch time.  Fukuda was full of praise for me.

On the day of my first real shift, I found myself working with Kuniko, the girl who had helped me the other day.  She ended up being very friendly.  We became instant friends - or at least we mutually agreed in thinking that the other wasn't bad.

Kuniko was two years younger than me, born and raised in Chiba, and was currently doing an MA at Waseda University.  A true brain with a pretty face and a pleasant, outgoing disposition.  She had been working at this particular 7-Eleven for a year, this part time job preceded by a year at Lawson.

I told her the basics of myself, and she was surprised to hear that I'd moved all the way from Hokkaido.

"Have you got a decent place to stay?" she asked while we stood at the cash register, the manager in the back office and the store empty of customers.

"My friend's putting me up until I can find my own place," I explained.  "It's a nice place, but I feel bad because she's really busy.  There I am hanging around with all this free time."

Kuniko nodded sympathetically and then clapped her hands.

"You need a welcome party!"

"I'm not really into..." I trailed off, but stopped.

If Kuniko could become my friend, that would be perfect.  And a party meant I could make more friends.  Then I'd be able to reassure Aya that I would stay here.

"Nothing big.  We can go out for dinner and a few drinks.  We've got an awesome team at this store.  We're lucky.  And we've got some other friends we can invite.  Kind of like a 'welcome to the neighbourhood' party!"

One thing led to another and suddenly I'd made plans with Kuniko to go out on Friday night.  We exchanged contact information, and before I knew it, I'd made my second friend from Tokyo.  We ended our shifts at the same time that day, but she went on ahead of me because I had to talk with the manager.

Fukuda praised me some more, telling me I was doing an excellent job.  He told me to keep it up, and then he sent me off.  I left the store feeling happier than I ever thought I could working at a convenience store.

I got home that evening and cooked before Aya came back.  When she did, the first words out of her mouth were: "That smells delicious!"

We sat and dined.  I told her all about my day and how Fukuda had praised me and how nothing had tripped me up, even the French couple that had come in trying to buy stamps without understanding a single word of Japanese.  When I told her about Kuniko, I became shy because I realised I sounded like an elementary school student gushing to her parents about her first day at school and her first friend.  I finished up quickly by saying that my welcoming party was on Friday night.

"I'm glad you made a friend," Aya smiled, and I felt like even more of a child.  "And good thing you made plans for Friday night.  I was feeling bad before I heard that because I'm being dragged to some formal dinner event by my boss."

I wondered how many of these events she had to attend and whether I'd ever be able to go with her to one.  Probably not.  But maybe she could get me on the invite list one day.  I was so curious what she was like when mixed with all those celebrities.  To me, she wasn't a celebrity like them.  The thought that she was famous made me giggle.  She was a regular girl.  No, not regular.  Of course not regular. She was special.  But not a snobby celebrity.

"I don't envy you," I teased her, sticking my tongue out.  "I'm sure my event will be much more relaxed."

She sighed.

"You're right.  And they'll probably give me glass after glass of champagne just to knock me down and make me do silly things they can talk about for months to come."

Aya drunk?  I wondered what that was like.  I hadn't seen her get anything beyond a little tipsy, which just meant she was extra giggly and silly.

"That's okay.  They'll probably give me glass after glass of beer in order to see how long the tough Hokkaido girl can hold out."

Not as long as they might have expected.

"And then the next day we're supposed to meet Shiba-chan," Aya groaned, suddenly remembering.

"Not till one o'clock, right?  We'll make sure to get to bed early and to have some good painkillers close at hand."

Planning for our hangovers was a new thing for us.

"Always thinking about the future," Aya said, ruffling my hair, de-aging me yet another year.

"Anyway, what about you?  How was your day?" I asked, remembering she'd mentioned filming.

"There was a big meeting in the morning where we all got our stories straight about my absence, and then I had a press conference with the media.  They all wanted to know where I'd gone."

"What did you tell them?" I asked, in awe of how entire companies could pull together to make up a huge story about one girl.

"Mostly the truth.  That I'd gone up to Hokkaido, but that it had been for an inspirational retreat.  Getting in touch with nature and all that."

It sounded appropriate.  We had done a lot of hiking.

"And what did you film?" I asked.

"Oh, some stations did a bit of interviewing.  Nothing big.  If you wake up early tomorrow morning, you'll see it on the news," she shrugged.

We stopped talking about work because it simply wasn't as fun as talking about other things.  We kept busy until bedtime. 

Later at night when Aya was fast asleep, I remained awake, shivering from the cold, covers pulled up to my nose.  I was squeezed between the wall and Aya's back.  Ever so carefully, I latched onto the sleeping form in front of me, trying to steal some of her body heat.  She shifted a bit as if trying to shake me off but then stopped as though it wasn't worth the effort.  I closed my eyes and tried not to think about the cold, listening to her slow heartbeat and cursing why I felt perfectly at ease when she was asleep and couldn't witness my affectionate nature.  When she was awake, it was much more difficult.  She was almost intimidating.

As I lay there holding this living, breathing human being, I had a revelation.  I had to get over this other complex of mine.  My fear of Aya.  She'd proven countless times that she wasn't being wishy-washy with her feelings.  It was time to start really trusting her.  I looked down at her peaceful face.  Starting at that exact moment, I'd let go of my fears and inhibitions.  When she woke up in the morning, she'd see a relaxed, natural me.

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2007, 03:47:00 AM »
Hahaha, actually, I just finished reading a book where in one brief scene, a grandmother painted a fake moustache on her sleeping granddaughter.  I got a big kick out of it.  Unfortunately, the granddaughter wasn't asleep on a train, but at home.

Ha, fake moustaches are nothing! Red lipstick kiss marks are worse, far worse!  :rofl:

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2007, 05:50:39 AM »
Awe, Miki working at a 7-11 sounds cute! I'd go and visit her everyday . . .  :wub:

Um. Anyway.

I'm glad Aya kept her job and such. They would have been in trouble if she had! :O Also, it's really strange to read about Miki being shy for some reason. I'm so used to the other Miki, I guess.

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2007, 02:15:38 PM »
I'd buy from that 7-11 all the time. I'd have so many hot dogs and packs of gum and Slurpees, my brain would explode.

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »
Ok bare with me, I know Im hard to listen to/understand but please give this fruit a chance.

So this Miki didnt have that battle/arguement/showdown that took place in the origanal Lovex2
Therefore!
This Miki still has issues, am I right?

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
No, Mikan, but good thinking anyway.  That particular set of issues was brought on by various things in the other reality.  In this story, she has had a very different post-17-year-old upbringing, so while she may have other issues (haha, "fear of Aya" (Ayaphobia?) being one of them), the same ones as in the other story don't apply.

Haha, imagine the cuteness if Aya went and visited Miki at 7-Eleven.

I admit that I'm having a fun time writing this one.

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
Well, I dont know! there has be some sort of drama otherwise this isnt an OTN production...
*crosses fingers and hopes for more animalistic S&M Miki*
^Roll your eyes as much as you want. I know your wishing for it too...

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2007, 11:55:11 AM »
Animalistic S&... oh brother.  Haha!  I should never have written that scene.  I'll never live it down.  (Yes, I'm rolling my eyes very much right now.)

Drama?  Well, I do have a plan.  There's a point to this story.  I've been trying to distract myself from some things lately, so I've had time to sit and think about how I'll go about laying out the story.  This may or may not be a good thing. (This is where I snicker. Hahaha!)

Next chapter up in a few minutes.  Last minute editing.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2007, 12:30:07 PM »
Chapter 10

It took me a little more time to fully let go of the things that prevented me from being entirely close with Aya.  Several days passed, and on Friday morning we woke up and went about what was becoming our usual routine of getting ready together.  Like most days, Aya had to leave first.

"See you tomorrow," I teased her, reminding her that whoever got home first would probably pass out before the other arrived.

"Be careful with your new drinking buddies," she shot back, reminding me that I didn't really know what my co-workers were into.

Soon after she left, I bought another paper, reading the classifieds as usual to see if anything better than 7-Eleven would rear its head.  As usual, nothing caught my eye.  As I browsed, I listened to Mika's new album, and I was quite impressed.  I wondered if Aya had ever met her.  They must have met several times at some of those TV shows they did.  Their new releases must have overlapped at some point in their long careers.  I daydreamed about what it would be like to meet all of my idols.

At ten, I headed to work.  I was teamed up with an older man named Hasegawa, who I'd worked with twice already.  He hardly spoke to anyone younger than him, he was rude, and he ignored me in an almost aggressive way right from the first day.  I wanted to pound his stupid, 50-year-old face into the ground.  I retained my cool composure, however, and ignored him back.  He may have been the more experienced one, but at least I was nice.  Waitressing had opened me up to a whole variety of types of people ranging from rude to overly friendly, shy and reserved to loud and obnoxious.  This 7-Eleven got an overload of weirdos, but I was more than capable of taking care of them.  An armed robber would have caused me less grief than Hasegawa did.

During my break, I sat back with a can of coffee and curry bread, and I e-mailed Aya.  I said nothing important.  "Hi.  How are you?"  That kind of thing.  She replied just as Hasegawa's voice interrupted my giddy excitement.

"Fujimoto!  At the till!"

I rolled my eyes, hastily (and stupidly) stuffed the remains of my bread into my mouth, and while chewing ferociously, cursed the rude man and hoped that he'd trip and fall into the oden stand.

I sauntered out of the back and opened up the other counter to help more customers, the first being a girl with bright (and tacky) purple and green hair.  I sighed, wondering why we didn't get more people like her in Takikawa.  Life was far more interesting in Tokyo.

I helped straight through my break and worked non-stop until my shift was over.  When I went into the back to collect my things, Hasegawa ignored me, so I made sure to leave the little stool in the back pulled out from the table in hopes that he'd trip over it.  So maybe I wasn't the nicest person.  But he deserved it!

I went back to Aya's, took a shower, changed, and called Kuniko.

"Seven o'clock sharp, Fujimoto.  Don't be late!" she warned me.

I regretted having told her that I had a habit of being late for social events.

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered, hanging up.

Of course, as tradition would have it, I was ten minutes late arriving at the restaurant.  From the look in Kuniko's eyes, I knew I'd get hell for it later.

The impudence of that girl to assume such familiarity! was what I thought on the outside, but on the inside I was grateful to have made a friend like her.  She'd taken on the role of "annoying little sister", which I secretly really liked.  I'd always wondered what it would have been like to have had a younger sister.  Aya was too mature to play that role.  Kuniko was childish like me (or even more so) and fit it much better.

Most of our co-workers and some of their friends were already at the long table, so we began our celebration.

"Here's to a convenience store career!" cried out Oshima, who took on our store's role of team spirit leader.

"Career?  This isn't a career.  We're all in it for the money," laughed twenty-year-old Momoko, the youngest of our group that night.

"Here here!" came cries of agreement.

"Except for Hasegawa," someone snickered.  "He's a lifer."

"I hate that guy," Kuniko groaned.

I agreed inside, chuckled outside, but didn't pipe up with my agreement.

They finally wrapped up the extended toast with a heartfelt "Welcome, Fujimoto!" and ordered food.  We had a merry time, the fifteen of us, all of us under the age of thirty. 

Throughout the night, I heard strange stories from those unlucky enough to be saddled with night shifts, and I shared some of my own convenience store stories from back home.  They seemed fairly plain to me, but the group had some terrific laughs at my former Takikawa customers' expenses.

At ten o'clock, we decided to move to another place.  Some sort of bar or club, but nobody was sober enough to give me any more details.  Apparently, it was a place that they liked to frequent.  We hopped on the train, and seven of us brave souls headed over to Shinjuku.

Kuniko had forgotten all about my previous tardiness, and she came by as we were walking through the crowded district, slinging her arm around my neck drunkenly and almost strangling me.  She wouldn't let go until I'd confided in her the number of people I'd slept with.  Talk about intrusive!  But I was feeling friendly with drink (that was always my term for "tipsy", which I don't consider even close to drunk), and so I whispered the answer in her ear.

"Six?!  You've slept with six people?!" she yelled out, and I put my hand over her mouth.

"The point of whispering it was for everyone else not to hear," I hissed with a murderous look.

"But... wow... six?  My answer's two.  Your town's really boring, then, huh?  You've got to find other ways to have fun."

I rolled my eyes.  Six didn't seem like that big of a number to me.  I wasn't running around rampant like some of my friends.  It just so happened that six people had sufficiently moved my heart.  Okay, five.  One had been a one-night thing with a friend, but the next morning we'd realised our big mistake and remained friends, nothing more.  Plus, we never drank together again.

But I supposed compared to Kuniko, six was a lot.

"Yup," I agreed exaggeratedly.  "Nothing much else to do around there."

"What about now?  Got a boyfriend?"

Oh, there it came.  Wonderful.

"Just recently broke up with him," I explained briefly.

"You need a rebound!" she practically screamed.

I wondered if she realised all of Shinjuku ward was staring at us and now knew that I'd slept with six people and needed a rebound.

"No, I'm all right," I said quietly.  "Right now I'm happy."

I didn't need a rebound because I had Aya, and she was not a rebound. 

"Come on Miki," she said, dragging out her vowels.  "You're so hot!"

Even better, now the friendly folk of Kabuki-cho could assume that drunken Kuniko had the hots for me.

"Yeah?  I didn't notice," I scoffed.

Kuniko stopped walking and yanked me back as our group continued.

"Ya kidding me?!" she yelled in my face.  "When I first saw you, I thought you were a celebrity, or something.  Jeez, girl.  Don't be so modest!"

She shook my hands to emphasise her words, and I blushed.

"Thanks, but, um..." I mumbled.

She took no notice of my discomfiture and pulled me after the group.  We dropped our conversation because we had arrived at our destination.

"This is the wickedest club in the city," Koda declared.

He was the one who had suggested we come here.  He was tall and quiet, but it looked like he was about to explode with excitement now that we were standing outside of his approved hangout.  It looked a bit flashy on the outside, and I groaned in my mind, hoping the place wasn't as tacky on the inside.

We bypassed the line that stretched around the corner and we went in.  It was surprisingly good.  Excellent music and fast service at the bar.  The crowd was also of a slightly higher calibre than the usual club.  I assumed Koda must have had some really close contacts to get us in, because we weren't exactly the richest bunch of youths.

We found a table and crowded around it, ordering drinks to continue our descent into madness.  Kuniko and Momoko grabbed each other and went to find strangers to dance with.  I watched them get started from the corner of my eye, envious of how talented they were, their bodies flowing naturally to the beat and attracting a circle of men in no time.

I focused on my companions and chatted with the ones I hadn't worked with yet and had only just met that night.  Maybe it was just the alcohol, but they all seemed like amiable people, and I must have been having an incredibly good personality day because they all liked me immediately.  I received lots of offers, from help to finding an apartment when the time came, to phone cards for calling my parents (one girl worked part time for a phone company and received lots of freebies from the office).

It was approaching midnight when I left the group to go to the washroom.  On my way back to the table, I decided to pick myself up a glass of water because my head felt hazy.  The bartender was on the other side of the bar taking care of a huge order, so I waited patiently, standing a bit back and letting my mind wander.  The music changed, and something at the back of mind tried to tell me something about the song.  That's when I accidentally eavesdropped on a conversation going on just behind me.

"Fake?  She's more than a fake.  She's a fucking retard."

The voice was a girl's, but it sounded vicious.  This was no regular gossipmonger. She sounded as friendly as a gang boss ordering her goons to rub someone out.  I felt sorry for whoever she was talking about.

"Too bad he sampled her for this track.  Stupidest thing Nakao ever did," another girl's voice said.

Nakao.  Nakao... That was it!  A small, unassuming man from Aomori known only by his last name - Nakao - had recently made a splash in the hip hop scene.  In the past year, he'd skyrocketed to popularity that must have made pop queen Ayu insane with jealousy.  The song playing at the club was the song that had made his popularity soar, and one of the reasons why it had been so popular was because of the singer he had sampled.  Matsuura Aya.  It was an older one of her songs whose name I couldn't remember, but it struck a chord within the population, this new man reviving this young girl's old image.  It was one of those things that just became popular for no one apparent reason.  Kind of like that annoying "Mai-a-hi, mai-a-hu" song from so long ago, but less annoying and more high quality.

But wait, backtrack.  These girls were talking about Aya.  They were insulting Aya.  I sighed angrily.  Everyone was entitled to their opinions, and I knew that celebrities were easy targets for jealous or disgruntled people, but I didn't like it.

"She never graduated from high school, you know?" a third girl piped up.

Everybody laughed.  There seemed to be a small group of them, but I didn't dare turn around to look.  I was starting to fume. 

What difference did it make if someone graduated from high school or not?  As long as he or she was a good person with a good heart, it didn't matter if he knew when the Battle of Sekigahara had been or how to conjugate the verb "to sleep" in English.

"Have you ever seen any of her interviews?" the first girl who had spoken asked.

She seemed to be the leader of the group.  Her voice was the cruellest and most authoritative.

"No, I wouldn't waste my time on that sort of shit," said the second girl.

She seemed to be the "second in command" of the group.  The leader's sidekick.  The one who was allowed to speak directly to the top girl.

"Same old rhetoric.  Flakey beyond belief," Leader confided in them.  "She makes my ten-year-old sister look brilliant."

I grew angrier and angrier.  It was one thing to call Aya a name or two, but it was another to go on and on about it.  How dare they?

"I've heard she has no friends because she's so prissy and demanding."

"Who'd want to be that bitch's friend anyway?  She has nothing to offer.  Hah, except for, you know, service."

I'm her friend, you horrible people!

"Hah, not even that.  She's a prude.  And fuck, look at her.  She dresses in drab clothes and goes on about being an adult.  It's like she has to convince herself she's grown up."

"Yeah.  She's trying way too hard."

Enough.  I'd heard enough.

I turned around and spotted the table that the four girls occupied.  They were dressed to the nines, obviously not lacking in money (or sugar daddies to buy them fancy schmancy stuff).  They were sipping martinis, and they looked like they thought they owned the club.  I could immediately pick out which one was Leader.  The others seemed a bit stupid, but she looked sharp.  Her eyes were bitter.

They noticed me studying them, and Sidekick called out to me in a threatening way.

"What?"

It didn't occur to me that I had a chance to walk away and avoid getting hurt.  Nothing but confronting them made sense to me.  It was my only option.

"Excuse me," I said, making my way over to stand by the table.  "Want to stop that?"

I looked directly at who I suspected was the leader.  The girl flashed me a disgusted look one might spare when encountering a slug in an expensive shoe.

"What?  Were we talking to you?" she asked.

I had been right.  Her voice confirmed that she was the girl who I thought was the leader.

I turned my body to address the whole table of girls.

"No, but I don't like what you're saying."

The girls exchanged looks and they simultaneously stood up, almost surrounding me.  I could see right away that these were the kind of girls who bullied the weaker students all throughout junior high and high school.  The ones who had money and flaunted it.  The ones who had messed up home lives.

The unfortunate thing was that while these girls looked like they would snap if I raised even just a baby finger against them, it was just an image.  Girls like this were deadly because they looked like they couldn't hurt a fly, but really could.  Because they had tempers shorter than a smoked cigarette.  Because the rage in them was such that it gave them the extra strength they needed to do damage at the most crucial of times.  If I wasn't careful, I might end up seriously hurt.

Surprisingly or not, the leader of the pack had a dirty mouth even when talking to strangers.

"To hell with what you think, you bitch.  Get the fuck out of our club."

At the back of my mind, I pondered what would happen if I left the club as recommended.  Leader was probably the manager's girlfriend.  Or well-paid sex slave.  Same thing in these parts.

My thought only lasted less than half a second.

"I don't want to start trouble with you.  I just don't like hearing you talk about her like that," I said in a reasonable but firm voice.

"You don't like the way we talk about that princess?" Leader asked with a laugh.  "What are you, her personal spokesperson?"

The girls burst out into high-pitched, annoying laughter that made me grit my teeth.  Why couldn't they laugh in tune with their hearts?  Nasty, dark, loveless.  It would be easier to tolerate.

"Just don't go assuming things about people.  You don't know her at all."

"Oh, and you do?" Sidekick snickered.  "Are you fucked in the head?"

I squeezed a fist, but kept my face expressionless.

"She's my friend."

"Oh no," groaned Sidekick Junior.  "Don't tell me you're one of those gross fans that think her idol actually gives a shit about her."

The other girls called out "amen" to her statement.  I could barely keep calm with all the rage that bubbling inside me.

"Believe what you want.  Just don't talk about my friend like that."

"Okay, first of all, I don't think she'd keep company like you," Sidekick snorted.

"What do you mean company like me?" I demanded in a low, dangerous tone.

"Some hick whose accent is so thick that what she's speaking is hardly Japanese?  Famous snobs don't go for that," she laughed.

For a second I forgot where I was and wondered if I really had that much of an accent.  I'd never really noticed before.  But Aya had a definite one, too, and I'd heard her slip in and out of it once in a while.  If these girls claimed to know so much about her, they surely must have noticed that.

"And second of all, obsession doesn't look good on anyone," Sidekick Junior grinned, jabbing at my arm with my hand.

I almost pounced on her for touching me.  If she did it again, a million policemen wouldn't be able to hold me back.  I remained calm on the outside, though, because my policy was one of indifference.  Show indifference, and things would eventually sort themselves out.  Lose your cool with people like this, and you either became a joke or got into serious trouble.

"I'm not obsessed.  I'm just asking you to-"

"Listen," Leader interrupted, grabbing the front of my shirt and forcing me look at her as I shut up and remained still.  "Last I checked, my man fucking owned this club, and as far as we're all concerned, you're nobody.  Whatever we think is how the rest of the club thinks.  You obviously don't fit in, so get the fuck out before I beat your stupid face into a pulp."

A girl in a very pretty dress and beautifully-done makeup speaking those words would have made me laugh in any other situation, but the look in her eyes convinced me that she wasn't bluffing.  I had to get out of there as quickly as possible.  I had to accept a defeat and come out of it with my life and my face intact.

But nobody talks about Aya like that in front of me, I thought angrily.

I opened my big mouth to protest.  Leader saw it, and she started to raise her other hand - perhaps to hit me - when things got even more interesting.

"What's going on?" a voice asked curiously.

Leader stopped and looked over her shoulder.  There was a handsome young man (he had to have been younger than me) standing there with a drink and a cigarette. 

Oh great.  Is this her man? I wondered dismally.

But Leader didn't react in a way that would indicate this young (was he even of legal age?) man - boy - was anyone she knew.  She ignored him.  He obviously didn't like being ignored, because he strode over and grabbed her hand in a move that surprised me.  She'd be screaming lines about sexual harassment in no time.  Sidekick and the Juniors started to crowd him, but he pushed them away.

What the hell is he doing?  You can't just rough girls up at a club like this! I thought.

On the surface I was criticising his crude methods, but deeper down, I was slapping myself for not taking the same initiative as he was.

"Why don't you girls quit messing around with people every night and try to fix your own screwed up lives?  I'm sick of seeing this kind of crap every week," he hissed.

So he did know them.  Maybe that's why they weren't screaming out for someone to call the police.

"And stop throwing out the manager's name as if he's your boyfriend.  His wife wouldn't be very happy to know that his personal prostitute is so vocal about her job."

Leader's eyes turned murderous, but she backed away.  Her group realised the situation had turned against them.  Leader's standing with the manager was obvious a sore point for her.  Without another word, the girls walked off, and I stood there wondering how I'd come to be involved in a nightclub power struggle.

"S-sorry," the boy stammered once the girls had left.

"Uh..."

I couldn't speak, not because of the shock of almost being beaten up by a gaggle of girls, but because this tough boy had reverted into a bumbling, soft mess.

"I've been wanting to say that to them for a long time," he said, this time sounding a bit more confident.

He gave a small, satisfied smile that warmed me up and gave me back my voice.

"Thanks for the help," I said with a slow nod of the head.

"I saw them getting in your face and I had to help you," he admitted.

He seemed to study me for the first time, and his face was overcome with a strange look that I couldn't identify.  It's not like he was instantly in love with me, but he seemed to want to be protective over me.

"I appreciate it," I repeated.

"Umm..." he started.

The boy needed to grow a spine.  He was turning into a fool and quickly losing cool points with me.

"I don't usually do that kind of thing, though.  I just saw you and felt really... like... like I owed you something big.  Like it was my duty to protect you."

Oh brother, I thought, suppressing a roll of the eyes.  I get to Tokyo, and some boy who barely needs to shave suddenly installs himself into my life as my personal saviour.

But when I looked at him closely, there seemed to be something in him that went past all the cheesiness.  He was sincere, no doubt, but also...

I couldn't quite place it.  But whatever it was, it was genuine and it felt nice coming from him.

"But I'm not trying to pick you up or anything!" he quickly exclaimed, waving his hands.

This time I rolled my eyes, unable to hold back.

"Oh, man.  Relax," I told him, and then not caring if he thought it was an abrupt question, I asked, "How old are you?"

"Twenty-two," he replied with a shrug.

Younger than me.  Just as I thought.

"And your name?"

"Sekiguchi," he said, fumbling for a business card and sketching a brief bow as he handed it to me.

I pretended to study it, but I actually didn't read a single word of it.

"Nice to meet you.  I'm Fujimoto," I said, holding my hands out to indicate that I had no business cards of my own, "and I'm practically jobless."

We stood there awkwardly, music playing in the background.

"Well, I'm with some friends, so I'd better go find them.  Thanks again for your help.  See you," I said quickly.

"Hey," he said quickly before I left.  "My company's looking for a secretary.  If you're jobless..."

He gave me a smile, gestured to the card to indicate that the company's contact information was written on it, and then said goodbye.  A sweet boy, but me working as a secretary?  Not my cup of tea.

I wandered off to find Kuniko and the group.  The girls had stopped dancing, exhausted and dehydrated.  They were re-energising themselves with mugs of beer, of all things.  It looked like they were going to be spending the whole night out. 

I told them I had gotten a call and that I had to go and meet my friend.  They offered to walk with me, but I insisted that I would be all right and that I didn't have to walk far.  Momoko told me in an airy voice to call her if my friend wanted to join the party, and I assured her that I'd call if we were in the area.  I chose not to tell them about my encounter with Leader and her girls.  That was best left a quiet interlude in my new life.

I got out into the crisp air, which had the effect of clearing my head and giving me back a bit of my sobriety.  I walked to the train station, messaging Aya along the way, asking her if she was home.

Five minutes later while I was just boarding the last train to her station, I got a response.

"almost hoam. s'good Niite" was what she wrote.

Oh great, I thought.  They got her plastered.

At first I felt annoyed because I barely felt tipsy anymore.  But then I remembered that this was Aya, and that I'd never really seen her get beyond a little giggly.  This could be interesting from a sober point of view.  I wrote back that I'd be at her place in less than twenty minutes.  A few minutes later, she sent me a one-word e-mail.

arrived.

As long as she wasn't falling all over her feet and throwing up all over the place, it would be a fun night.  Sour moments of the evening completely forgotten, I smiled to myself and willed the train to go a bit faster so that I could get to her place soon.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:20:15 PM by OTN1 »

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
puuh...just thought miki would fall in love with the man xDDD well too early for saying that...hmmm but anyway^^
great chap :inlove:

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2007, 01:45:27 PM »
Ahh, anything can happen in my world.  Hahaha!

The next chapter was originally part of chapter 10, but for some reason I thought it would fit as its own chapter.

Chapter 11

I slipped into the apartment quietly in case Aya had gone to sleep (which I hoped she hadn't).

"I'm back," I whispered carefully into the dark entrance that greeted me.

I slipped my shoes off silently and took a look beyond the entrance.  I could see that a light was on in the living room, so I headed to it.  There Aya sat on the floor, the TV on at an insanely low volume as she seemed to be watching it intently.

"Hi," I said to get her attention.

She rolled her head back slowly and saw me, a huge smile gracing her lips.  A huge, silly smile.

"Hiiii," she drawled.

I smiled and walked over, standing beside her and trying to tell just by looking how far gone she was.  She reached up and tugged my hand to pull me down beside her.  I made it easy for her and sat down.  She started to grope at my leg, trying to pull me closer (or on top of her.  I wasn't sure which).

"How much did you drink?" I laughed, pushing her hands away easily.

She let go of me and started counting on her fingers.  My eyes widened as she passed ten and then fifteen.  At seventeen, she stopped and looked up at me with watery eyes.

"I don't remember," she mumbled.

More than seventeen?  That was excessive and dangerous.  Anxiety gripped my heart.

"You had more than seventeen alcoholic drinks?" I asked gravely, trying to get across to her that she'd better answer seriously.

She shook her head.

"I counted backwards from twenty-five.  Or twenty-four...?" she trailed off happily.

I sighed in relief.  Aya with seventeen drinks in her, I couldn't handle.  I'd have to take her to the hospital.  Aya with eight drinks in her might be a challenge, but not impossible.  I put an arm around her shoulders and squeezed briefly.

"Good, good," I told her, and she smiled proudly.

"Where did you go tonight?" she slurred.

Now was definitely not the time to tell her about Leader and her insults.

"After dinner, some of us went out to a club in Shinjuku.  We just listened to music and talked," I said slowly.

"I wanna go!" she said.

Too late, you dummy.  Trains have stopped.

"What about you?" I asked.  "What did you do?"

She grabbed the front of my shirt as if threatening me, and I remembered Leader's earlier actions.

"They made me stand around and drink lots of stuff for hours!!  And then they did boring speeches, so Nemoto and I snuck off and drank together in the girls' washroom."

Oh dear.

"Who's Nemoto-san?" I asked, unsure where to start with my questions.

"You know!  He has his own TV show on Thursday nights that I watch all the time.  Duuuh, Miki!" she giggled.

Nemoto was a guy?  And they drank in the girls' washroom?

"Er... How drunk were you guys?  I mean, if he's a man, and you drank in the washroom together, that's a bit..." I trailed off, not really expecting Aya to listen to reason.

"Oh, he's totally gay!" she screeched with delight, clapping her hands.

That didn't really answer my question, but I saw how it might be more of a comfort to the women walking into the washroom and seeing a man.

"Good for him," I said with a wary smile, and then it hit me.

Nemoto.  Nemoto Ryu.  He had a television show on Thursday nights.  It was some sort of jazz music corner, but apparently he was a riot.  A very funny man.  I hadn't watched the show myself.  I only knew who he was because Aya was completely in love with him and wouldn't shut up about him around the time his show aired.  If we hung out on a Thursday, all she did was wonder what that evening's episode was going to be like.  If we hung out on a Friday, all she could do was recap everything that had happened in the previous night's episode.  Frankly, it didn't even sound that interesting, but Aya worshipped the ground that man walked on.

Wait... He was gay?!

Oh, man.  The things you never expected.

"So don't worry.  I wasn't flirting with him or anything," she babbled, pulling me closer to her by the shirt (which she hadn't let go of in all this time).

"I wasn't worried," I sniffed.

I had been too surprised that they'd been talking in the washroom to get worried.  But if I had clued in to who he was, I probably would've been a tiny bit jealous in a completely unreasonable, unjustifiable, and good-humoured way.

"No, I can tell when you get worried.  Your forehead gets extra furrow-y.  Hee hee hee," she said, poking the bridge of my nose annoyingly.

"It does?" I asked worriedly, brushing her hand away and feeling my forehead.

That kind of thing brought on permanent wrinkles quickly.

"Jooooke!" she giggled, and I growled.

"Don't do that!"

"Anyway, we drank there, and he got all silly, and we flushed my necklace down the toilet by accident."

I didn't ask for details.  All I knew was that if for some reason I ever got it in my head to buy Aya a necklace, I'd pass.  No point saving up to buy something that would get flushed down the drain in a foolish moment of inebriation.

"And then this woman came into the washroom, but she was happy, too, so we all laughed together."

Right now, happy equals drunk in Aya's mind, I thought amusedly.

I took a look at her grinning face and her sparkling eyes.  Not even news of her family pet's death could have brought her down from the high she was on.

It was adorable!!

I hugged her and felt something akin to what I felt when I looked at pictures of mind-meltingly cute cats and dogs and felt like and eating them up or squeezing them to death.

"You are so cute!" I exclaimed as she laughed and hugged me back, completely oblivious to the crazy effect she was having on me.  "Who would've thought?"

"I'm cuuuute, I'm cuuuuute," she sang, her voice going over my shoulder and probably right into her next door neighbour's ears.  "I'm so cuuuute, Miki thinks I'm cuuuute!"

I squeezed her and laughed.  The serious Aya that intimidated me, the mature Aya that made me feel like I was thirteen, the lascivious Aya that made me blush and move away shyly, the thoughtful Aya that made me feel like I was wild and unorganised when I really wasn't... All these images dissolved that night and let me see the true scope of the silly Aya.  I'd seen it before, but never to this extent.  It was what was missing from my view of her.  I hadn't seen her throw down her dignity like that and let loose completely.

It was a key piece to the jigsaw puzzle.

It was what finally made me relax around her.

I held her tightly, listening to her nonsensical ramblings, smiling, my heart soaring until she grew drowsy and started to fall over.  At that stage, I carefully helped her get to bed, not letting her hands distract me from my task, even when I had to help her undress and put on something more suitable for bed (oh, the way she giggled when I helped).  I took my job seriously, though.  I was responsible for her well-being.  I was the friend that had to take care of her in her weakness and hold her head up over the toilet bowl (although thankfully she wasn't in that kind of state).

Right before going to bed, I made her take some painkillers.  I always did that, and it helped me feel better the next morning.  She protested at first, but then she liked the fact that I was physically feeding her the pills and holding the glass of water up to her lips, so she grinned and drank the entire glass agonizingly slowly.  Then, it was time for bed.  I got in first and let her have the side closest to the door just in case her stomach rejected so much alcohol.  She hadn't shown any signs of feeling sick, but I didn't know her level of tolerance and didn't want to risk anything.

"Good night," I said in a singsong voice, turning the light off.

"Don't wanna sleep," she replied stubbornly, drowsily.

I allowed myself to snuggle up to her.

"But you have to," I said in a cute voice as though talking to a five year old.  "We have to go see Shiba-chan tomorrow and you won't feel well if you don't sleep."

"But I'm having fun," she whined.

"What?  Fun?" I asked in mock surprise.  "Me having to dress you, feed you, and drag you around like a baby is fun?  More like a pain in the neck."

"Rrrgmgmrrr," she muttered and I laughed silently.

"Go to sleep," I repeated.

"No," she insisted.

"Sleep."

She shook her head.

I raised my head so that it was in line with hers and I started to sing.  One of those old children's songs that everyone knew by the time they were four.  I sang quietly, just for her, until her eyes started to droop shut.

"I'm not going to sleep," she mumbled.  "No matter how hard Miki tries, I won't..."

Her protests grew weaker, and within a minute after her last words, she was off in dreamland.  I broke off my singing and closed my eyes, set on reviewing the entire evening.  However, I didn't get far.  When I closed my eyes, my own exhaustion took a hold of me, and all I could do was let myself fall into the inviting arms of sleep.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:54:08 PM by OTN1 »

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
awww what a funny and cute chapter  :D
The part where miki was singing was cute^^

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2007, 08:27:06 PM »
And hey, I've already stolen Miki's career away from her and made her start working as- oops, I almost gave it away.  Hah, stay tuned soon...
:shocked:

Chapter 9
Aya was ordered to her boss' office.  She got a call early in the morning, and she'd reluctantly dragged herself out of bed and into suitable meeting clothes.  In the short time I'd spent with her, I'd grown attached and didn't want her to leave.
Awwwwww... :love:

I didn't want to work as an office lady at some second rate company office (which would probably be an easy job for me to get if I played nice in the interview).  I wanted something challenging.  Something that didn't have me doing the same thing over and over every minute of the day.
Indeed. Miki came to Toyko for some excitement, for something new. She didn't come to just do a 9-5 OL job.

Aya had sent me an e-mail back.

That fortune slip was right.  I get to keep my job!  More details when I see you.  Where are you?
Well, that's one less thing that Miki needs to worry about. :)  Now she just needs her own job.

Good.  At least one of us is having luck.  I'm job hunting nearby.  Nothing so far.  Know any places that want to hire a university dropout?

Her reply came quickly.

Have you tried offices?  I've found that a lot don't advertise that they need help.

I sighed.  Not the kind of job I wanted, but it was useful to know that there might be something out there that I just couldn't see.

I'll try that.  Thanks, I wrote.
Aya makes a good point. A lot of places intentionally do not advertise that they're hiring for a variety of reasons. For one thing, by not advertising it helps to ensure that only those people who are seriously looking for a job will come in and ask.  It also helps to somewhat increase the likelihood that these people who DO come to ask are actually skilled/qualified.

I spent the afternoon wandering around Shinagawa, but not just searching for work.  I did a bit of browsing around the shops and the department stores.  I found no job, but I did see a shop I wanted to inspect further once I was settled and had a source of income.  It looked like it had been constructed for me personally.  Anything I would ever want to wear was hanging on the hooks in the small establishment.
For a sec, I thought the shop might be a "toy" store.  :twisted:

We sat down, and she explained what had happened.  Her boss had fought hard for her and had had the rest of the top heads of her music label admit that they needed Aya no matter what.  They had said she could stay, but they slapped her with a heavy warning that if she ever pulled any silly stunt like that again, they'd have no second thoughts about dumping her from their label. 
So the boss went to bat for Aya? Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :thumbsup  Glad to see there are some stuffed shirts out there that aren't so "stuffed", so to speak.

She had received yet another stern lecture for an hour about the rules of the company, and she'd been made to promise to apologise to all the people involved in the Italy project that had not gone through.

"They were probably so lenient because the public didn't know about this project.  It was going to be one of those surprises that caught everyone off guard and then sucked them in.  If the country had known that Matsuura Aya was going to Italy to train, I would have been shot for deserting," she laughed.
The fact that it was a secret project was what probably saved her job. As she said so herself, if the public knew about this trip beforehand, the backlash would have been immense.

"I checked some offices, but it's a little hard to just walk in and say 'hey, need help?'"

She nodded sympathetically.

"Well, it was only your first day," she said a little unnecessarily.  "Maybe you'll have more luck tomorrow."
Aya's right, these things take time. Even though it would have been nice, it's not likely that Miki would find a job that she really liked on her first day on looking.

"Do people usually have to threaten you before you'll accept a gift?"

"No," I sighed, "but I just don't want you to feel like you're obligated to give me anything or help me out with money.  I don't want to be a burden or a moocher."

"You're not a burden," Aya said quickly.  "You're really not.  I'm always here to help you.  Don't let your pride get in the way of common sense.  If you need help, you can always ask me.  I'd much rather you do that then suffer and get into situations that are hard to solve."

Drop the pride.  Ask for help.  Trust her.  She was asking a lot, but I had to try.
With Miki's stubborness, as well as how her life has been up until now, it probably is asking for a lot. Miki still has trouble believing that she's "worth it" to Aya.  :'( But you ARE! YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARE!!!

I noticed her eyes open, so I looked towards her again.  She closed her eyes quickly before she could be caught staring, and I thought that she was either dying to tell me something important or having some sort of strange, prolonged seizure.
:lol: Seems like a fair enough exchange. Miki has weird dreams, and Aya fidgets when she's unable to sleep.

She pulled me back into the world literally by grabbing me and hefting me up awkwardly to stand in front of her, twisting me around and then hugging me.  It all happened in a blur, so I reacted instinctually and hugged back.  She pulled back and then leaned in to kiss me, at which point I deftly slipped out of her grasp, avoiding her and her poisonous lips, sitting back down on the floor and returning to scrutinising the map.  I hoped she hadn't noticed how shy and embarrassed I felt.  Of course she did.

"I estimate seven more days till you stop freaking out every time I get close to you," she announced.
Wait another week and Miki will be the one trying to get close.  8)

"Whatever's holding you back, though, cut it off.  It's not getting you anywhere."

She grinned, stuck her tongue out, and licked my nose.  I scrunched it up.

"You have a strange way of expressing your love," I stated with a glower.

"Oh, come on.  As if you wouldn't do that," she laughed.
Aya can tell that Miki's still holding back a bit. It's still probably that same idea of the need for a "safety net" that has been drilled into her mind all the time she's been home in Hokkaido.  Miki's been able to let go of most of that need, now she just needs to let go of that last bit.

Funny, she was right.  I would do the same kind of thing... if I'd known her longer than two months.  It was too early, though, to do that kind of thing and expect her to find it endearing.  But maybe I was wrong.  Maybe I could be my normal, weird self.  Maybe I should.
Damn right she should. Weird Miki is cute and wuvable!  :wub:

Wanted: Cheerful, enthusiastic youths for part time jobs.  Reasonable hours.  Great pay.  Start immediately.  Become part of the 7-Eleven team!.
Well...it's a start.

"It's just a temporary thing until I can find a real job," I explained quickly.

She studied me and then walked over slowly.

"It's cute," she said finally, and she moved off to the kitchen.

Cute?  The uniform was cute?  No it wasn't.  It was hideous.  And didn't she have anything else to add?  An opinion?  A question as to how I'd gotten the job?

"Hey," I said, following her to the refrigerator, where she paused in putting away her recent purchases.

"Mmhmm?"

"Don't you think it's dumb?  Like, me working at 7-Eleven?"

She shook her head.

"I know you'll keep looking for something else," she smiled.

"I will," I reinforced.  "It's just that I saw the help wanted sign, and I used to work at a convenience store..."

Aya stood up and traced the company's emblem on my shirt, making me blush.

"I know it's not your dream to work at 7-Eleven for the rest of your life.  I don't think you're any less cool because you've got a part time job there."
Aya has so much faith in Miki...and poor Miki might not feel like she's worthy of it.  Miki's still not sure if she'll be able to find a good job, but for Aya, knowing Miki as well as she does, it's never been a matter of "if" it happens, just "when" it happens.

Damn, didn't I say this already regarding another chapter here? I'm sounding so repetitive. :P

"Now go change!" she barked.  "You're going to cook for me!"

I laughed at her order, but I went to change into my pyjamas, folding my shirt carefully and putting it with my clean clothes.

Seeing that the bath was full, she decided to take a bath while I cooked.  We each took our sweet time.  By the time I finished preparing the nikujaga I claimed to be so good at making, Aya had gotten dressed in her pyjamas.
Dinner in pyjamas? That's just so... :mon cute:

And mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....nikujaga (aka. a beef stew type of dish)..... :drool:

My new part time job was easy.  My training lasted only three hours.  I was quick on the uptake and was ringing up customers' purchases by lunch time.  Fukuda was full of praise for me.
Miki's got skills!  :pimp: Can't help but wonder about this Fukuda guy though. He's not gonna turn out to be a lech/perv, is he?

"Have you got a decent place to stay?" she asked while we stood at the cash register, the manager in the back office and the store empty of customers.

"My friend's putting me up until I can find my own place," I explained.  "It's a nice place, but I feel bad because she's really busy.  There I am hanging around with all this free time."
Miki's got to be careful that she doesn't let it slip about who this friend is that she's staying with. It could cause a lot of unwanted ruckus if the public found out. After all, as nice as Kuniko seems to be, we still don't know if she's as trustworthy as Hiroshi nor if she's able to keep her mouth shut.

Kuniko nodded sympathetically and then clapped her hands.

"You need a welcome party!"

"I'm not really into..." I trailed off, but stopped.

If Kuniko could become my friend, that would be perfect.  And a party meant I could make more friends.  Then I'd be able to reassure Aya that I would stay here.

"Nothing big.  We can go out for dinner and a few drinks.  We've got an awesome team at this store.  We're lucky.  And we've got some other friends we can invite.  Kind of like a 'welcome to the neighbourhood' party!"

One thing led to another and suddenly I'd made plans with Kuniko to go out on Friday night.  We exchanged contact information, and before I knew it, I'd made my second friend from Tokyo.
Well that's nice to see. Let's just hope that Aya doesn't get all jealous/possessive when she finds out about it (after all, Aya probably wouldn't be able to go, not if she wanted to keep a low profile at least).

I told her all about my day and how Fukuda had praised me and how nothing had tripped me up, even the French couple that had come in trying to buy stamps without understanding a single word of Japanese.  When I told her about Kuniko, I became shy because I realised I sounded like an elementary school student gushing to her parents about her first day at school and her first friend.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... :shy1:

"You're right.  And they'll probably give me glass after glass of champagne just to knock me down and make me do silly things they can talk about for months to come."

Aya drunk?  I wondered what that was like.  I hadn't seen her get anything beyond a little tipsy, which just meant she was extra giggly and silly.

"That's okay.  They'll probably give me glass after glass of beer in order to see how long the tough Hokkaido girl can hold out."

Not as long as they might have expected.
So it's theoretically possible that both Aya and Miki could wind up, back at the apartment, totally smashed? Assuming that they don't both pass out, things could get interesting.  :twisted:

I closed my eyes and tried not to think about the cold, listening to her slow heartbeat and cursing why I felt perfectly at ease when she was asleep and couldn't witness my affectionate nature.  When she was awake, it was much more difficult.  She was almost intimidating.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww...she's still scared to let Aya see her wuvy-duvy side.   :shy2:

As I lay there holding this living, breathing human being, I had a revelation.  I had to get over this other complex of mine.  My fear of Aya.  She'd proven countless times that she wasn't being wishy-washy with her feelings.  It was time to start really trusting her.  I looked down at her peaceful face.  Starting at that exact moment, I'd let go of my fears and inhibitions.  When she woke up in the morning, she'd see a relaxed, natural me.
Part of what's been holding Miki back is her uncertainty about how serious Aya is about them.  I guess now she's finally starting to see and believe that she is dealing with the real thing, that Aya really is giving herself fully to her.

OMGASS!!! Picturing that...it's SO CUTE!!!  :luvluv1:

Chapter 10
I listened to Mika's new album, and I was quite impressed.  I wondered if Aya had ever met her.  They must have met several times at some of those TV shows they did.  Their new releases must have overlapped at some point in their long careers.  I daydreamed about what it would be like to meet all of my idols.
Dream some more Miki, you can be amongst them yourself. :yep:

I was teamed up with an older man named Hasegawa, who I'd worked with twice already.  He hardly spoke to anyone younger than him, he was rude, and he ignored me in an almost aggressive way right from the first day.

I helped straight through my break and worked non-stop until my shift was over.  When I went into the back to collect my things, Hasegawa ignored me, so I made sure to leave the little stool in the back pulled out from the table in hopes that he'd trip over it.  So maybe I wasn't the nicest person.  But he deserved it!
Hasegawa might just be frustrated with how his life has been and is dealing with it badly. But whatever, for all we know he's just a jackass.

Most of our co-workers and some of their friends were already at the long table, so we began our celebration.

"Here's to a convenience store career!" cried out Oshima, who took on our store's role of team spirit leader.

"Career?  This isn't a career.  We're all in it for the money," laughed twenty-year-old Momoko, the youngest of our group that night.

"Here here!" came cries of agreement.
There are a lot of people who believe that working at a 7-11 is demeaning or otherwise undignified. Nice to know that Miki's co-workers know how to take it all in stride.  :)

"What about now?  Got a boyfriend?"

Oh, there it came.  Wonderful.

"Just recently broke up with him," I explained briefly.

"You need a rebound!" she practically screamed.
Uh-oh...:O

Kuniko probably means well, but she IS drunk, at the moment. Let's hope Miki can keep things together enough to avoid mucking things up.

"Ya kidding me?!" she yelled in my face.  "When I first saw you, I thought you were a celebrity, or something.  Jeez, girl.  Don't be so modest!"

She shook my hands to emphasise her words, and I blushed.

"Thanks, but, um..." I mumbled.
Ok, the saying she thought Miki looked like a celebrity is nice and all, but now it's just getting kind of awkward. Kuniko's not gonna do something stupid like try and find Miki a guy, is she?

I focused on my companions and chatted with the ones I hadn't worked with yet and had only just met that night.  Maybe it was just the alcohol, but they all seemed like amiable people, and I must have been having an incredibly good personality day because they all liked me immediately.
With any luck, they'll still be amiable when they're all sober.

I received lots of offers, from help to finding an apartment when the time came, to phone cards for calling my parents (one girl worked part time for a phone company and received lots of freebies from the office).
Free phone cards? SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! :rockon:

"Fake?  She's more than a fake.  She's a fucking retard."

The voice was a girl's, but it sounded vicious.  This was no regular gossipmonger. She sounded as friendly as a gang boss ordering her goons to rub someone out.  I felt sorry for whoever she was talking about.

"Too bad he sampled her for this track.  Stupidest thing Nakao ever did," another girl's voice said.

But wait, backtrack.  These girls were talking about Aya.  They were insulting Aya.  I sighed angrily.  Everyone was entitled to their opinions, and I knew that celebrities were easy targets for jealous or disgruntled people, but I didn't like it.
Oh boy...this is vicious (though not entirely surprising) stuff these girls were spouting off. It's something to be expected when you're that age.  Still, it's got to really be diggin' at Miki to hear them say that shit. If she was sober, she'd be smart enough to know that it's better off just ignoring them...but Miki's had a few. :O

I turned around and spotted the table that the four girls occupied.  They were dressed to the nines, obviously not lacking in money (or sugar daddies to buy them fancy schmancy stuff).  They were sipping martinis, and they looked like they thought they owned the club.  I could immediately pick out which one was Leader.  The others seemed a bit stupid, but she looked sharp.  Her eyes were bitter.
Ah, the spoiled little rich girls. Figures.

Leader was probably the manager's girlfriend.  Or well-paid sex slave.  Same thing in these parts.
Oh BURN!!!  :rofl:

I remained calm on the outside, though, because my policy was one of indifference.  Show indifference, and things would eventually sort themselves out.  Lose your cool with people like this, and you either became a joke or got into serious trouble.
Indeed. Quite often people like that provoke just to get a reaction. The bigger the reaction, the more they like it and the more they capitalize on it. Act like you don't care and you still have some control.

"What's going on?" a voice asked curiously.

Leader stopped and looked over her shoulder.  There was a handsome young man (he had to have been younger than me) standing there with a drink and a cigarette.

Oh great.  Is this her man? I wondered dismally.

But Leader didn't react in a way that would indicate this young (was he even of legal age?) man - boy - was anyone she knew.  She ignored him.  He obviously didn't like being ignored, because he strode over and grabbed her hand in a move that surprised me. 

"Why don't you girls quit messing around with people every night and try to fix your own screwed up lives?  I'm sick of seeing this kind of crap every week," he hissed.

So he did know them.  Maybe that's why they weren't screaming out for someone to call the police.
This guy might be club security. If not, he must know the manager somehow.

"And stop throwing out the manager's name as if he's your boyfriend.  His wife wouldn't be very happy to know that his personal prostitute is so vocal about her job."
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH BITCH GOT

"S-sorry," the boy stammered once the girls had left.

"Uh..."

I couldn't speak, not because of the shock of almost being beaten up by a gaggle of girls, but because this tough boy had reverted into a bumbling, soft mess.

"I've been wanting to say that to them for a long time," he said, this time sounding a bit more confident.
Wha? So he's just some random customer then? If he's a regular, seeing how these girls conducted themselves must have been really bothersome. I guess the way Miki stood up to them gave him the confidence to finally put them in their place. :thumbsup

"Thanks for the help," I said with a slow nod of the head.

"I saw them getting in your face and I had to help you," he admitted.
Ah, the old "damsel in distress" thing probably had something to do with it too. ;D I mean c'mon, someone as pretty as Miki about to get in trouble like that? No question about it, he had to help her out.

"I don't usually do that kind of thing, though.  I just saw you and felt really... like... like I owed you something big.  Like it was my duty to protect you."

"But I'm not trying to pick you up or anything!" he quickly exclaimed, waving his hands.
Way to be smooth dude.  :mon lmao:

"And your name?"

"Sekiguchi," he said, fumbling for a business card and sketching a brief bow as he handed it to me.

I pretended to study it, but I actually didn't read a single word of it.

"Nice to meet you.  I'm Fujimoto," I said, holding my hands out to indicate that I had no business cards of my own, "and I'm practically jobless."

"Hey," he said quickly before I left.  "My company's looking for a secretary.  If you're jobless..."
Hmmm...I wonder what his company does? Might it have something to do with, oh...I dunno...MUSIC???  :stunned:

Acutally, come to think of it, we've never known the name of Aya's company, have we? Any chance there's a 22-year-old up and comer named Sekiguchi that works there?

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

I walked to the train station, messaging Aya along the way, asking her if she was home.

Five minutes later while I was just boarding the last train to her station, I got a response.

"almost hoam. s'good Niite"
was what she wrote.

Oh great, I thought.  They got her plastered.
Wow, maybe my prediction of both of them coming home drunk (and the subsequent stuff to follow) might happen after all.  :twisted:

As long as she wasn't falling all over her feet and throwing up all over the place, it would be a fun night.
"Stumbling Aya" can be hella cute, but I'm supposed to be grossed out at the thought of "puking Aya", right? That's a bad thing?
:dunno:

Chapter 11
"Hi," I said to get her attention.

She rolled her head back slowly and saw me, a huge smile gracing her lips.  A huge, silly smile.

"Hiiii," she drawled.

I smiled and walked over, standing beside her and trying to tell just by looking how far gone she was.  She reached up and tugged my hand to pull me down beside her.  I made it easy for her and sat down.  She started to grope at my leg, trying to pull me closer (or on top of her.  I wasn't sure which).

"How much did you drink?" I laughed, pushing her hands away easily.

She let go of me and started counting on her fingers.  My eyes widened as she passed ten and then fifteen.  At seventeen, she stopped and looked up at me with watery eyes.

"I don't remember," she mumbled.

More than seventeen?  That was excessive and dangerous.  Anxiety gripped my heart.

"You had more than seventeen alcoholic drinks?" I asked gravely, trying to get across to her that she'd better answer seriously.

She shook her head.

"I counted backwards from twenty-five.  Or twenty-four...?" she trailed off happily.
So funny, and cute, and wubable! :mon inluv: :kekeke: :nya: :k-inlove:

"They made me stand around and drink lots of stuff for hours!!  And then they did boring speeches, so Nemoto and I snuck off and drank together in the girls' washroom."
Nemeto? Who's that? :O

"Who's Nemoto-san?" I asked, unsure where to start with my questions.

"You know!  He has his own TV show on Thursday nights that I watch all the time.  Duuuh, Miki!" she giggled.

Nemoto was a guy?  And they drank in the girls' washroom?
EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH? :o Aya didn't...no...she couldn't...she wouldn't!  :mon cry:

"Er... How drunk were you guys?  I mean, if he's a man, and you drank in the washroom together, that's a bit..." I trailed off, not really expecting Aya to listen to reason.

"Oh, he's totally gay!" she screeched with delight, clapping her hands.
Ah, yokatta.  :sweat: If he's gay then the tabloids won't have anything to use for their next articles (assuming that they know that he's gay).  The tabloids DO know that he's gay, right?

"You are so cute!" I exclaimed as she laughed and hugged me back, completely oblivious to the crazy effect she was having on me.  "Who would've thought?"

"I'm cuuuute, I'm cuuuuute," she sang, her voice going over my shoulder and probably right into her next door neighbour's ears.  "I'm so cuuuute, Miki thinks I'm cuuuute!"
Sounds like Miki's finally starting to let go of those concerns she had and is able to really be herself around Aya.  The fact that Aya's being all drunk and silly-cute sure helps. :inlove:

"Good night," I said in a singsong voice, turning the light off.

"Don't wanna sleep," she replied stubbornly, drowsily.

I allowed myself to snuggle up to her.

"But you have to," I said in a cute voice as though talking to a five year old.  "We have to go see Shiba-chan tomorrow and you won't feel well if you don't sleep."

"But I'm having fun," she whined.
Awwwwwwwwwww she's like a little kid.   :luvluv2:

"Sleep."

She shook her head.

I raised my head so that it was in line with hers and I started to sing.  One of those old children's songs that everyone knew by the time they were four.  I sang quietly, just for her, until her eyes started to droop shut.

"I'm not going to sleep," she mumbled.  "No matter how hard Miki tries, I won't..."

Her protests grew weaker, and within a minute after her last words, she was off in dreamland.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! 
:imdead:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline nkca_

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2007, 10:56:03 PM »
it seems like you're in a good mood huh? such happy chapters, <3. anyway i love happy, eh stuff so i'm looking forward to the next chapter and the huge hangover aya's going to have and of course when miki overcomes that thing she has when aya gets too closeXD

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2007, 11:56:05 PM »
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!
Aya drunk is sooooooooooo cute!!!!!!  :wub:

great chap!
u r the best!                       *but plz don;t kill them :roll:*

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2007, 02:24:49 AM »
FLUFF!FLUFF!FLUFF! :w00t:

Also, I couldn't help but notice, but it Mika Nakashima Miki's idol in this dimension? I mean, I think that she likes her in real life anyway, but I couldn't help but wonder about Namie.

Oh, and Miki getting all defensive when those girls were bad mouthing Aya. I was rooting for her, baby! It's kind of funny how those girls talked about Aya like that when they were no better than her. (And, some people probably see their position as being lower . . .) Also, drunk Aya was definitely cuuuuuute. :wub:

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2007, 12:02:23 AM »

Oh, so they guys on the train staring at Miki, the extra-kind convenience store cashier and all that stuff was because Miki really is that cute but she didn't realize because the people in Takikawa had seen her grow up and were used to her being so pretty? Still find it weird that the train guys were staring more at her than at Aya.

The guy that "saved" Miki reminds me of that goody-two-shoes secretary guy working at Miki's company in the other reality. It's not him, is it? And please, please, pleeeeeeeeeease tell me Miki won't fall for that guy(or any other, for that matter)  :prayers:

Anyways I also think that probably what Miki didn't read in his bussiness card is that he works for a record company or something like that, and hey, now that I think about it, a 22 year old who works in a company and isn't the secretary himself must be either another not-so-high rank(I don't know a better word to say it) employee OR the son/relative of a high rank employee... meh, don't pay muchattention to me, it's too late, my brain is too sleepy :dozing:

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »
Hasegawa might just be frustrated with how his life has been and is dealing with it badly. But whatever, for all we know he's just a jackass.
He's just a jackass.  No pity for him.  He's based on someone I know.  If anybody gets disposed of in this story, it'll be him (so rest assured, Kei-Br).

Black velvet, I chose Nakashima randomly out of a bunch of big names.  Apparently she and Miki e-mail each other (in real life), and I thought it would be nice to have some sort of reference to that connection.  I'm sure this other Miki likes to listen to Amuro, too.

ChiruChaCha, don't worry.  Your sleepy brain isn't too shabby.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2007, 10:08:56 AM »
Chapter 12

The next morning, I woke up to Aya groaning.  I opened my eyes to see her lying there holding her head, a look of pure pain etched on her face.  I smirked knowingly, but didn't tease.  I rolled up, jumped over her, and went to fetch a glass of water and some more painkillers.  We'd slept a good eight hours, so the effects of the medicine from the previous night had worn off.  When I got back to her room, she was sitting up, nursing her head in her hands.  I tapped her on the shoulder and handed her the pills first, which she put in her mouth without a word, and then I handed her the glass of cold water.  She drank the whole thing down and handed me back the glass, which I dutifully returned to the kitchen.  We worked smoothly like a well-oiled machine.  When I got back to her room again, she'd laid back down, her hands massaging her temples gingerly.

I walked over her carefully and slipped in beside her, latching on gently and snuggling my face into her neck.  She groaned in protest.

"Kill me," she mumbled in a pathetic voice, and I snorted.

"No," I laughed out softly so that I wouldn't cause her head any more grief.

"Let go."

"No," I repeated, and without looking, I brought my hands up and took her hands away from her head, continuing her soothing massage myself.

"Thank you," she mumbled grudgingly, too lazy to bring her hands back down and leaving them up above her head.

I lifted my head to look at the situation and my heart quickened.  It almost looked like I'd tied her hands up that way and she was lying there submissively, eyes closed, waiting for me to do what I wanted.

Damnit, I thought, cursing my mind for turning dirty on its own when Aya was not in any condition to humour me.  Stop thinking like that, you pervert, I reprimanded myself.

I continued to massage her aching head for several minutes.

"It's ten o'clock," I told her gently after a while.  "Think you'll be okay in a few hours?"

She didn't answer, so I looked up at her face.  She hadn't replied because she had fallen right back asleep.  I smiled a self-satisfied smile.  I had some sort of magic touch.  But her hands were still above her head, wrists crossed over each other.  I carefully moved her arms to her sides so that she no longer looked like she was posing for a dirty magazine.  Then I held onto her and lay there not thinking about much, waiting for her to wake up again. 

She woke up in half and hour, this time without any exclamations of pain.

"How are you feeling?" I asked when she opened her eyes.

She looked groggy, but not like she was about to keel over.

"Eh..." she mumbled.  "Better."

She sounded a lot stronger.

"Can you get up?"

She nodded her head.

"Do you want to eat something?"

She looked positively green at the mention of food.

"Ug..."

"You should eat," I suggested.  "You need something in your stomach."

She looked at me with those sad, pathetic eyes that said "I'll leave it up to you" and shrugged.  I took this as a sign that I should make her something easy to stomach.

"Why don't you take a shower while I make breakfast?" I said.

She looked at me reluctantly.

"Or do you need help with that, too?" I added with an idiotic smile.

She cracked her own first smile of the day, and something told me to go with it and continue.

"You really want me to help you?  Because I don't mind, but that means you'll have to wait extra long for breakfast, and your stomach is going to start growling and-"

I continued to babble.  Frankly, I got a little nervous and excited, but she gripped my arm with a tight hold, making me squeak and cut off my words.

"Just get me to the bathroom in one piece and I'll think about it," she mumbled, looking both amused and in pain.

I helped her get up, and once sure that she was steady on her feet, followed her like a little puppy dog to the bathroom.

"I can stand, you know," she laughed at me, her strength returning to her gradually.

"I know, but..." I trailed off.  "Are you sure you're okay?  You can make it on your own?"

She rolled her eyes and then winced as that caused her a bit of pain.

"Go make me food.  You're right.  I am hungry."

I nodded.

"Well, okay..." I said hesitantly, sticking around and waiting...

"What?" she asked me.

"Huh?" I asked back, giving her a confused look.  "What?"

She looked at me slyly.

"Do you need something?"

I shook my head vigorously.

"No, not really.  Nothing at all!"

But I didn't move off.  She grabbed my hands.

"If you want to take a shower with me, just tell me.  I didn't think you were serious," she said in a quiet and smiling tone, her hangover seeming to no longer exist.

Hiroshi, I lied.  She totally did seduce me.  Completely.  I don't know how she managed to, but she did, and right now, I've just realised that I have to take advantage of every naughty bone in her body.

She was right.  It was true.  I wanted to.  What had filled me with fear before filled me with desire now.  In a show of bravery, I grabbed her wrists.

"I'm serious," I said, staring at her as if to bore holes through her skull.

She seemed to forget the pain she was in, and she shook my hand off one wrist, using it to open the door to the bathroom and then pulling me in.  She closed the door behind us.  We brushed our teeth and ran the water, getting undressed when the shower spray was sufficiently hot.  Then under the warmth of the water, we took a long, forty-five minute shower together in the small cubby-hole of a space, details of which we would commit to memory only and not write down or tell a soul about.

Once dried, dressed and ready to go, we ate a few bites of plain rice each just to tide us over until we had lunch with Shibata.  Aya seemed to feel even better after that.

My phone rang while we were walking to the door.  Impeccable timing.

"Fujimoto-sama!" Fukuda cried out as if the apocalypse was upon us and he was alerting the empress.

"What is it?!" I asked in alarm.

"Hasegawa broke his ankle on the way to work and we can't find a replacement.  Can you please come in?!"

He sounded like he was about to cry.  And me?  I was in an excellent mood.  Nothing could worry me or make me feel bad.

I shot Aya a look and then said to Fukuda, "Sure, I'll be there as soon as possible."

He thanked me a million times, and I hung up to face Aya again.

"That was my manager," I said slowly, playing with the zipper of my jacket.  "He needs me at the store 'cause Jerk got into some accident and unfortunately only broke his ankle."

Aya was also in such a good mood that she didn't mind.  She'd gotten her forty-five minutes of fun, and that seemed to have cured her of her hangover.  At least temporarily.

"You'll have to meet Shiba-chan some other time, then," she laughed.

"Yeah, she's becoming this mythical figure.  It's like everything in the world is trying to prevent our meeting," I laughed along.

I got changed again, this time wearing something appropriate for work, and we left together, splitting up on the sidewalk.

"I'll tell my mythical friend that you say hello."

"You do that!"

I skipped over to work, giddy as ever.  I had surprised Aya with my forthrightness.  Inviting myself to take a shower with her and then actually carrying through with it.  She'd liked it, and I could tell that things were only going to get more interesting between us.  We had something deeper than I had thought before.

I worked with someone I'd never worked with before - a man named Shiroshita who hadn't been at the welcome party.  He seemed nice.  A little on the quiet side, but he didn't ignore me.

While I was wiping up a mess from a spill on the counter (honestly, sometimes customers can be so messy!), a girl walking in slipped and did a faceplant on the floor.  I dropped my cloth and went to help her up.  She was embarrassed as she sat there trying to re-arrange her skirt so that her legs weren't completely exposed.  I looked up at the counter to see where Shiroshita was, and he was staring like a zombie at the girl's legs, the proverbial stream of drool coming from the corner of his mouth.

You perv, I thought, rolling my eyes and helping the girl get up.

She thanked me, bought a pack of gum quickly, and then left.  I'm sure she'd come in to buy more, but was too humiliated to browse around for longer.

My shift ended at five that evening.  Kuniko came to replace me, and we chatted for a few minutes, leaving the store to Shiroshita.

"There's a party going on next Wednesday at some other club that Koda-kun visits once in a while.  Are you in?"

I sighed.  Was Tokyo going to turn me into a party girl?  Maybe.  I didn't really want to go, but I liked Kuniko and Koda and their group of friends.  Aya was also going to be monstrously busy in the next week, so I may as well distract myself. 

"Yeah, give me the details and I'll be there," I said.

Kuniko cheered and started rambling on about the details, all of which I'd never remember if I didn't write down.

"Oh my god, stop," I cried out, waving my hands at her.  "Send me an e-mail with everything you just said.  You talk too fast."

"Don't worry.  We'll just come pick you up at your place."

And see that I live in a trillion-yen condo?  No way...

"It'd be better if you gave me the details," I said, thinking quickly.  "I'm not sure what I'll be doing before, and I might be a bit late."

Vague and not entirely a lie.

"Okay.  I'll e-mail you details during my break," she said, thinking nothing suspicious of my excuse, quickly adding, "since you're too dumb to keep up with my intelligent speech patterns."

I hit her hard on the arm.

"Shut up and get to work before I smack you even harder on the head."

She snorted at me, and I walked off laughing, leaving the store and going back home.

Aya was home when I walked in.  She was sitting in the living room and writing something.

"Hi!" I called out from the entrance.

"Hi," she mumbled back, not looking up from her work.

I snuck up behind her, knelt down, and tickled her.  She jerked up, brushed my hands away, and kept writing.

"Whatcha doing?" I asked, sitting beside her and sticking my head over her shoulder.

She pushed my head away and then slammed her book shut.

"I'm finished," she declared, finally looking at me.

"Yeah, but what is it?"

"It's my agenda book, you dummy," she said, turning the book over for me to see the word "SCHEDULE" written on it.

"Oh," I said uninterestedly.

I had thought she'd been writing in her diary or something private that I wasn't supposed to see.  To test it out, I took the book into my hands and flipped it open.  She didn't try to stop me as I turned to this coming week's page.  It was full of neat red and black scribbles indicating what time and where she had to be for various events.

"Holy crap," I muttered.  "Is this the amount of work they make you do?  No wonder they pay you so nicely."

She took the book out of my hands and hit me on the head with it before I grabbed it back.

"It looks like a lot on paper, but it's really an average week," she brushed it off.

I opened the book and again read through everything she had to do, wondering if I would ever be able to handle the amount of work she did.  Probably not.  I'd get sick of having to listen to people telling me where to go and what to do twenty-nine hours a day.  It was admirable of Aya to be able to do it all and not complain a single bit.

"Can't you take some time off?" I asked, closing the book.

"What do you think I was doing the past two months?"

Right.  I had already forgotten she hadn't been working that entire time.  I gave her a sheepish look and she raised a hand, making me wince in anticipation of sharp pain.  Instead of hitting me, though, she stroked my hair.

"Although it would be nice to take some time off and go somewhere exciting with you," she said wistfully.

"Once I get a real job and make some real money, you're on," I winked.

"Hmmm," she sighed.

As she daydreamed, I opened her agenda book and looked through it some more, assuming she'd stop me if she didn't want me to know what was on her schedule.  Next month was already filling up.  I checked and saw that my birthday written in hastily with pencil.  Under it, she had written in some sort of social event.

"What's this?" I asked, pointing to a name I wasn't sure how to pronounce.

"I have to go to another one of those dinners," she said, sticking her tongue out presumably at whoever had organised the event.

"Another one of those drunken washroom nights?" I teased.

"No," she sighed.  "This one's a little more serious, which means far more boring.  I'm going with some colleagues to represent our label.  We have to be on our best behaviour because some important guy is hosting it."

"But you're going to miss my birthday..." I whined.

"Oh, that's your birthday?  I didn't notice," she said breezily.

"Of course it is, you doofus.  You've got it written in right here!" I said angrily, pointing at her handwriting and shoving the page in front of her face.

"Oh, so I do," she said in surprise.

I realised she was just messing around with me, so I dropped the book back on the table.

"Why do I get the feeling that the longer I stick around, the meaner you'll get?"

She began to laugh so hard that I was afraid she might flatline from lack of oxygen.  I watched as she threw herself down onto the floor, clutching her stomach and letting out hoots that would have frightened ghosts.

She never answered my question, and she dragged me out for dinner after I insisted we could cook.  She said she didn't want to buy groceries, and heaven forbid I argue with the master of the house.

"So what did you and Shiba-chan get up to today?" I asked before a bite of okonomiyaki.

"We went out for lunch.  Just our usual thing," Aya replied after she took a sip of water.  "She says 'hi', by the way, and wonders if you exist, too."

"When is she free next?  I'm starting to become obsessed with the idea of meeting her."

"She'll call me and let me know.  Looks like things'll be busy for her, too, this week."

I made a mental note to ask Fukuda to give me some extra shifts.  I'd bore myself silly all alone. 

"What am I going to do without you around?" I asked in a sad voice.  "I may as well still live in Hokkaido for all I'll see you next week."

"Aren't you supposed to be looking for a real job?" Aya snickered, picking up a piece of cabbage with her chopsticks and sticking it in my mouth.

I obediently took the strip between my teeth and chewed.

"Oh yeah," I chuckled.  "I guess I could always go to that guy's company and be an office lady..."

"What guy's company?" Aya asked curiously.

"Huh?" I asked.

I thought I'd told her, but then I remembered that we hadn't seen much of each other today.  Shower time didn't count.

"Oh, last night I- well, it's a long story," I started, remembering Leader and her bunch, "but this boy gave me a card and told me they need a secretary at his office."

The card was still in my wallet, and I took it out to show Aya.  She read what was written, and for some reason, began to smile in awe.

"He said his company needs a secretary?" she asked for confirmation.

"Yup."

She handed me back the card.

"That's perfect.  You have to do it!"

"But Aya," I whined.  "Can you see me as a secretary?"

She took a full look at me, and somewhere during this examination, I suddenly felt very naked.  Her gaze seemed to strip me of not just my clothes but also that shield that most people put up to protect themselves when in public.

"Yes, I can," she said unfalteringly.

"But-"

"Do it.  Call him.  Or even better, just go to the company on Monday morning.  This is your chance to get a real job."

"But... Office lady?  I'm not that kind of girl."

Aya sighed.

"Do you realise what kind of company this is?" she asked.

I took the card out again and read it.

"No," I mumbled.  "Paid escort service?"

She scowled at my sarcastic joke.

"It's a record label, for crying out loud!" she exclaimed.  "So if you want to have any chance to break into the industry, I suggest you get your butt down to Ikebukuro bright and early on Monday morning and get yourself a job serving coffee to the people that can make your dreams come true."

A record label?

It was the first time since the previous night that I seriously considered taking Sekiguchi up on his offer.

We talked about it a bit more, Aya urging me on and on until I agreed to at least go and look at the office.  We finished our dinner and decided to walk home instead of taking the train.

As we strolled down the dark, cold streets, I kept thinking about the girls from the club, and all I wanted to do was tell Aya about them.  However, I didn't want to see her feelings get hurt.  I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.  Finally, I took her arm and pressed my shoulder against hers.

"You know, last night I met this group of girls," I started tentatively.  "They were saying some pretty rude things about you."

She slowed down a bit and looked at me questioningly.

"Who were they?  And what kinds of things?" she asked.

I shrugged.

"Some rich, stuck up girls.  Nobodies, really.  And just... rude things that aren't true."

Her face showed no sign of emotional reaction, so I ploughed on.

"I kind of jumped in and tried to stop them, but they were tougher than they looked and were about to hurt me when Sekiguchi - the guy who gave me the card - jumped in and made them run.  So the only reason why I met him and got this chance at a job is because some girls thought it would be satisfying to make fun of you."

I felt a load taken off my shoulders.

"You defended me?" she asked.

I could practically hear the hearts in her voice!

"Yes," I mumbled shyly.  "And I lost miserably."

"No, you won.  My heart!"

I groaned and pushed her away from me, speeding up my walking pace.

"Don't say things like that.  That's unbearably cheesy and... just... ug!"

She quickened her own pace and was at my side in no time.

"Hey, what happened to the Miki I woke up with this morning?  What'd you do with her?" she teased me, her hand finding mine.

"She's on a seventy-year coffee break," I muttered.  "But seriously, I'm not into mushy crap like that.  I like things cool, not cheesy."

"Oh, you liar!" Aya almost shouted.  "You have a mushy streak longer than the Nile."

The rest of our walk home was full of her teasing me as I tried to defend myself.  No more was said about Leader and her gang.  Once we got to her apartment, she tried to prove to me that mushy was good, while I tried to prove to her that being grown up and cool was good, and while we were both obstinate and refused to see each other's points, it all ended in a good way.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: LOVE CRESCENDO - RIFLE GIRL