JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Burger Nuds - Kusa no Hana

Author Topic: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)  (Read 84312 times)

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Restart (Love x ∞ Part II)
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2007, 12:34:11 PM »
Hah, it sure would be the end of the world.

Chapter 17

The next morning I woke up alone to an empty home.  It was six-fifty-nine, one minute before my cell phone alarm would go off.  I stopped it before it could start.  I sighed and got up, walking around the apartment and seeing that Aya was already gone for the day.  I half-heartedly got ready for work.

I missed her.  I was growing far too attached.  Since when did I miss someone so much?  I didn't need to be around people every minute of the day.  Yet with Aya, it felt necessary to talk at least just a little every day.  Every morning.  Every evening.

And it was with such thoughts that I began my day.

That day and the next few until the weekend were straightforward, although fun.  Aya and I got a few chances to spend time together in the evening, and I went out a couple of times with some friends.

Kuniko and Koda took me to a place in Roppongi where they shoved me in front of the group and forced me to speak English to foreigners they wanted to talk to, using me as a third-rate translation device.  Some help I was.  It took me four minutes of confused conversation and hand gestures to figure out that the group of girls Koda wanted to chat with were from Germany and did not speak English.  We had all been drinking, but still, there was no excuse for the amount of time it took for the revelation to hit.  That story made Aya chuckle when I told her the next morning.

The weekend came, and we both had Saturday and Sunday off, a rare treat on both sides.  On Saturday morning, the alarm clock started ringing, and instead of slapping my hand down on it, I slapped Aya's shoulder.

"You set the alarm, you dummy.  Why?" I grumbled.

She replied by crawling half over me, stopping the alarm, and collapsing on top of me to sleep, our bodies forming a crooked T shape.  I ignored the strange position, finding it quite warm, actually, and fell asleep.  Ten minutes later, the alarm rang again, waking me up.

"Turn it off," I demanded grumpily.

Aya pulled herself up and turned the confounded machine off.  Before she could settle back down in the same position, I rolled onto my side, pushing her aside and curling my legs up.  Aya proceeded to resettle and flip around, leaning her back against my legs as if they were a backrest.

"Get offa me," I mumbled sleepily.

"Get up!" she sang out in a voice far too cheerful for the morning.

"Offa me.  It's Saturday morning."

She didn't budge.

"You'd better get up.  I made plans for us.  Kind of a surprise until now."

"What plans?" I asked, growing a little interested.

"It's still a surprise," she said sneakily.

I growled and rolled onto my back, pushing Aya off of my legs and making her decide to lie back down.

"Don't be like that.  Tell me.  Otherwise I won't get up."

She sighed dramatically.

"Fine.  We're going over to Shiba-chan's for lunch.  I thought I'd better not jinx it.  But oh well.  What are the chances of you getting called in for yet another emergency shift?"

I opened my mouth to express my happiness about finally getting to meet Shibata when my phone rang. 

Aya just had to open her big mouth!

I rolled over her menacingly.

"I'm going to kill you for saying that.  You've gone and ruined your own plans," I growled, and I glared at her, my nose a centimetre away from hers.

The phone continued to ring, and she grabbed my shirt.

"You don't have to answer it, you know," she said coyly, but I rubbed my nose against hers and changed my glare to a smile.

"I know.  But if I don't, I'll have to call back later."

I rolled away easily, her hold on my shirt a superficial one, and I grabbed my phone.  The number confirmed my fear.  It was 7-Eleven.

"Hello?" I mumbled, not bothering to mask that I'd just woken up.

"Good morning, Fujimocchan!" came the energetic greeting, and I sighed in partial relief that it wasn't Fukuda.

"Kuni-chan.  Why are you calling me?"

"Oh, did I wake you up?" she asked innocently.

"What do you think?" I snorted.

"Aw, sorry.  I just wanted to- hey, is Aya-chan there with you?"

Ugg

My eyebrows twitched.

"Do you want to talk to her or me?" I asked, avoiding the question.

"Oh, so she is?"

"Kuni-chan, what do you want?"

"Ooohh, she is," she sang. 

If she had been in front of me, I would have strangled her.

"Tell her I'm sorry if I woke her up, too.  Or maybe you guys were already awake.  Maybe I'm interrupting a moment or-"

"Ogasawara!" I yelled, calling her by her family name, a rare move for anyone addressing Kuniko.

"Yessir!" she cried out exaggeratedly.

I looked over at Aya apologetically, and she was looking at me in mild surprise.  She'd sat up, leaning against the side wall, her arms crossed.

"What are you calling about?" I asked quietly and politely.

"Oh, well, I have a few minutes before my shift starts.  I was wondering if you were free next Tuesday.  Koda's got another place lined up for us."

I thanked my lucky stars that she wasn't calling me to ask to cover her shift for her.  Aya had gotten curious, and she came to kneel beside me, putting her ear to my cell phone.  I pushed her away and gave her a silly look.

"Uh, next Tuesday?" I asked, momentarily distracted.

"Yes, next Tuesday."

"With Koda-kun?"

Aya scrunched her nose up when I said his name, and I laughed silently, sticking my face in hers to dare her to protest.

"With Koda-kun."

"And where is this super sexy club?" I asked, and Aya pushed me down onto the bed, making me yelp out a laugh.

"Are you okay?" Kuniko asked.

I stifled my laughter as an errant Aya crawled up to sit on me.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  Where's the club?"

"Hey Koda-kun!" Kuniko yelled off the phone, and I deduced from this move that she and Koda were working the shift together.

While Kuniko confirmed the location, I looked up at Aya, who had a malicious smile on her face.

"Stop it," I mouthed at her, but she pretended not to notice as she began to play with the bottom of my shirt.

This is too much, I thought.

"What?" Kuniko asked, back on the line.

Oops.  Had I said that aloud?

"Nothing," I laughed nervously.  "So where's the place?"

"Shinjuku.  Near the place we went to as part of your welcome party."

I remembered that place well.  I hadn't forgotten about Leader and her girls, and I swore that one day I'd find them and-

"Hey!  Your hands are cold!"

Aya had stuck her hands under my shirt.

"Umm..." Kuniko drawled.  "How about I leave you two alone now?"

"No, it's fine," I growled, using my free hand to grab Aya's wrists and push her hands away from me.  "She's asleep and doesn't know what she's doing."

"I am not asleep," Aya piped up loudly, grabbing the phone from me.  "Hi, Kuni-chan.  It's me," she said sweetly, settling down beside me on her stomach as if preparing for a long session of girl talk.

I heard Kuniko's voice come from the phone, mirroring Aya's pleasant tone.  I crossed my arms and let out an irritated huff.  Without looking, Aya put her hand on mine.

"Yeah, she's getting all grumpy now that we're talking."

I flicked the palm of her hand with my finger, making her wince and pull her hand away.  I smiled smugly as she listened to Kuniko.

"Got it.  Oh, and if you want to come over some time next week, I have lots of open evenings.  Let me know when you're free.  Do you have my number and e-mail address?"

I felt dread as I could decipher Kuniko's answer on the phone.  "No," I heard her say.

"When we're done here, I'll e-mail you my information.  Miki-chan's too jealous to willingly give it out."

"No I'm not," I protested, but she shot me a look that said "Be quiet!  I'm on the phone!"

I shrunk back and shut my mouth.  Why was she allowed to bother me while I was on the phone, but I wasn't allowed to bother her?

Aya wrapped up her conversation with Kuniko, and they finally hung up.  I held my hand out to collect my phone, but Aya turned onto her side facing away from me.  I propped myself up to reach over and grab it back when I realised she was e-mailing Kuniko.  I grudgingly let her send her information with my e-mail address while I traced the word "brat" onto her shoulder, circling it with a heart, and then rubbing my hand over the skin as if to erase it.  When she had sent the message, she shoved the phone in front of my nose, and I took it from her, closing it and reaching behind me to put it on the table.

"Now, shall we go and meet Shiba-chan?" she asked.

I looked down at her.  She looked perfectly awake and harmless.  Only I knew the truth about what a conniving little devil she was.  I smiled toothily.  It was all very sexy.  Looking so cute but being so bad.  Who would have thought the Matsuura Aya of Japan was like that?  Not I.

"Does Shiba-chan like to tease people?" I asked.

"Don't be silly," she scoffed.  "Shiba-chan is far too mature for that kind of thing."

I bit back a remark about her own childish behaviour when she was around Kuniko.  I recognised the potential to get into another one of our long, playful spats, which were fun, but time-consuming.  We didn't have that kind of time.

"Then let's get ready," I said, and we got out of bed.

Aya e-mailed Shibata when we were approaching her apartment, and as far as I could tell, Shibata's response was positive.  The plans were still on.  I'd been half expecting to have the plans cancelled again.

Shibata's apartment building was just as nice as Aya's.  She might not have had the same monthly paycheque, but from what I'd heard, she was frugal at the right times and was thus able to live as she pleased.

Aya led me up the elevator.  Despite my trying to convince myself it was irrational, I became a bit nervous.  I didn't let Aya know, though, and I acted cool and collected.

"Miki," Aya said in a quiet voice as we got out of the elevator.

"Yeah?" I asked a little too quickly.

"Breathe."

I was going to protest that I wasn't nervous, but I changed my mind.  She could read my body language a little better than I'd thought.  I gave her a small smile.

"Have you told her anything yet?  Like, uh..."

Aya shook her head, her eyes twinkling.

"Shiba-chan's not the type that needs to be told things.  If she hasn't figured it out already, she'll be able to tell after spending lunch with us."

My eyes widened.

"Is she that smart?"

"Well, we'll see if history repeats itself," she mumbled.

I didn't get it, but I smiled again before we arrived at the door.  Aya reached out and rang the doorbell.  A few moments later, the door opened, and I was brought face to face with the other best friend.

Shibata was already smiling, knowing who she'd find behind the door.  She and Aya shared a familiar look, and then she looked over at me.

Everything seemed to stop around us as she held my gaze.  Her face dipped into the strangest expression I'd ever seen on someone being introduced to me, and while I'm sure time did not slow down or come to a complete stop, I felt that one second stretch out uncomfortably long.

She hated me.  I could tell right away.  Nobody would look at their best friend's friend with that expression.  She was undoubtedly thinking "How can Aya like this insipid-looking character?"

It was the worst thing that could happen.

"Hi," she said to me, still staring.

"Hi," I replied coolly, putting on my face of indifference.

If she didn't like me, I wasn't going to make a big deal of it.

She seemed to recover her senses, and she smiled a smile a person could never smile at someone he or she hated.  Had I been wrong about her first impression of me?

"Come in.  Make yourselves at home."

She drew the door open wider and stepped back, letting us come in.  Aya and I removed our shoes.

"Shiba-chan, Miki-chan.  Miki-chan, Shiba-chan," Aya said as a casual introduction.

"It's nice to finally meet you," Shibata said to me, all traces of earlier discomfort gone.

"Nice to meet you, too.  Thanks for having me over," I replied, turning the charm on just a little.

There was no use holding a grudge.  It might have all been in my imagination.

We launched into small talk, Shibata asking me what I did and what I had studied.  I, in turn, found out a little more about her and her plans to go to university to study anthropology.

Lunch time approached and Shibata addressed us.

"I thought we could go to that nice French café just down the street for lunch since I haven't gone grocery shopping yet."

We said it sounded like a nice idea, but for a second, I wondered if this "nice" café would be more Aya's style of place.  Tasty, but monumentally expensive.  I would have to suck it up and go with it.

"Next time I'll get Miki-chan to cook for you.  This girl is quite skilled in the kitchen," Aya said suddenly, presenting me with a gesture of the hand.

I frowned and looked up.

"Not really that skilled," I said.  "I do simple stuff only."

"No, I've heard from Aya-chan that you're quite a talented chef," Shibata jumped in.  "I'd be honoured to try your dishes one day."

"Well, maybe if we all work together we can make something good," I mumbled, remembering cooking with Baachan and Aya.

I excused myself to use the washroom before we left.  When I was going to enter the living room again, I saw Aya and Shibata standing in a corner and speaking in hushed voices.  I hesitated for a moment, unintentionally listening in on them.  I couldn't hear everything they were saying.  Only snippets of conversation.

"Hokkaido... Italy..." I heard Aya say.

"This is insane," Shibata muttered

"I know, but... found... in a restaurant of all..."

"... and she seems so... met?"

I wondered what they were talking about.  Me, no doubt.

I walked into the living room, and they didn't stop but transitioned smoothly into some conversation that had absolutely nothing to do with what they had been talking about.  It was a valiant effort, and it would have worked had I not heard what I had.  I decided to play the fool, however, to save them embarrassment.  I didn't want to cause a scene.

My chance came when Shibata went to her room to fetch her purse.  I went up to Aya and stood close to her.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked softly.

She did such a good job of playing dumb that it almost fooled me.  She looked at me as if to say "Huh?  When?"  I didn't fall into the trap.

"You can tell me anything, you know," I reminded her.

She smiled.

"Don't worry, Miki.  Just Shiba-chan's private issues."

I had to wonder.

Shibata came back, and we pulled apart so we could go and put our shoes on.

We had a pleasant time at the French café.  It was reasonably priced, and I wished Aya had a taste for slightly cheaper places like it.

Shibata was as perfect as Aya advertised her to be.  I really liked her and felt like I'd known her for years.  But the memory of the initial moment when we met lingered in my mind like a bad aftertaste.  Also, the secret conversation they'd been having didn't sound like it had to do with Shiba-chan's private issues.  It sounded like it had been about me.  I cared what Aya was saying about me to her friends.  It was very important.

Pfft.  As if I need her approval or anything, I thought.

But no.  Maybe I did need her approval.

Aya and I got home around three o'clock after parting with Shibata.  We sat around for ten minutes in silence, wondering what to do in our spare time.

"It's been so long since we've both had an afternoon off together," Aya said, breaking the silence.  "Have we lost our creativity?  What should we do?"

Part of my brain was focused on trying to think up something to do, but the other part was working on how to approach Aya with my questions.  Questions about what she and Shibata had been talking about.  It had to do with me.  I needed to know.

"I have a question," I started.

"What is it?"

"It's about Shiba-chan."

She nodded for me to go on.  Looking at her face that was so willing to answer anything, no clue what I was going to ask her, I lost my nerve.

"What did she say was her favourite food?"

Of all the things I could have asked about Shibata, I had to ask something trivial like that.

"Oh, for when we have her over?" Aya asked with a smile.

I nodded enthusiastically.  My question wasn't so random after all.  Aya turned thoughtful and launched into a rant about Shibata's likes and dislikes as I listened with feigned interest.  My brain was still working on how to approach my question.

We spent the rest of the day watching some movies together, and I forgot about my question because I had to keep Aya from bawling her eyes out at the end of the first movie after the main character died and his wife was left alone to raise her son.  She sniffled a bit, and so I tried to brighten the atmosphere with silly conversation.  It worked, and full out hysterics were avoided.  I made sure we watched a comedy next.

After dinner, bath, and more television, we went to bed.  Hiroshi had always told me I had very bad timing.  I got talkative at the most inopportune times, and it frustrated him, especially when we were doing things that didn't require much talking.  Things that, in fact, required no talking at all.  Shibata and Aya's conversation started playing in my mind again, and I mumbled something aloud.

"Huh?" Aya asked, pulling back from me.

"Shiba-chan," I repeated.

She frowned.

"You realise that I'm Aya, right?"

I shook my head.

"I know that.  I just want to ask you something."

"Er, okay..." Aya said with a confused look.  "What is it about Shiba-chan that you want to know?"

She seemed a bit put off by this interruption.  I couldn't really blame her, but once I had something on my mind, I needed to deal with it.

"Your conversation today," I said weakly.

Aya sighed and rolled onto her back, looking at the ceiling.  In the faint light, I could see her eyes glimmering as usual, her smooth skin looking even smoother, if such a thing was possible.

"What about our conversation?" she asked.

"I got the feeling that she didn't like me much.  When I first met her, she looked a little... I don't know how to put it.  Unhappy?  Uncomfortable?  So I was wondering what you were talking about while I was in the washroom."

I spoke tentatively.  I didn't want to force Aya into things.  I simply wanted her to see the reason in telling me.

"No, not at all," Aya said firmly.  "She doesn't dislike you.  She likes you for sure."

"Really?"

"Really."

I waited for her to go on, but she had nothing more to say.  I lay there, unmoving, thinking it through until she made the first move and rolled onto her side to look down at me.

"Are you worried that if Shiba-chan doesn't like you, you and I won't be able to hang out anymore?"

It sounded so infantile when she put it that way.  Like we were back in elementary school.  I flushed under the safe cover of darkness.  Part of it was true.  While I didn't think Shibata disliking me would lead to me and Aya being separated, I did think that it could make waters unnecessarily stormy.

"I want to get along with her so that we can do things together.  I want all your friends to like me," I admitted.

She rubbed my tummy and tickled me.

"She likes you.  Don't worry.  I know you two will get along famously once you have the chance to hang out some more."

Her words comforted me and soothed the worry in my mind.

"Thanks, Aya-chan."

She smiled and didn't reply.  Instead, she continued what I'd interrupted.

At the back of mind, however, lingered a thought.  Just for ten seconds until I was distracted from such worldly troubles.  But ten seconds was long enough for my thought to file away its complaint for later review.

She never answered my question about their conversation.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 12:37:50 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Nana Oosaki

• Do it! Now
  • ecchi
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »
Shibata and Aya where talking about the other Miki, right?. I wonder what is going to think Miki when she finds out...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »
The next morning I woke up alone to an empty home.  It was six-fifty-nine, one minute before my cell phone alarm would go off.  I stopped it before it could start.  I sighed and got up, walking around the apartment and seeing that Aya was already gone for the day.  I half-heartedly got ready for work.

I missed her.  I was growing far too attached.  Since when did I miss someone so much?  I didn't need to be around people every minute of the day.  Yet with Aya, it felt necessary to talk at least just a little every day.  Every morning.  Every evening.
Rabu-rabu desu! :heart:

The weekend came, and we both had Saturday and Sunday off, a rare treat on both sides.  On Saturday morning, the alarm clock started ringing, and instead of slapping my hand down on it, I slapped Aya's shoulder.

"You set the alarm, you dummy.  Why?" I grumbled.
You'd think that since they both knew that they'd both have the whole weekend off that they'd enjoy the extra sleep-time. :dunno:

"You'd better get up.  I made plans for us.  Kind of a surprise until now."

"What plans?" I asked, growing a little interested.

"It's still a surprise," she said sneakily.
Plans? Aya made plans? :O

I growled and rolled onto my back, pushing Aya off of my legs and making her decide to lie back down.

"Don't be like that.  Tell me.  Otherwise I won't get up."

She sighed dramatically.

"Fine.  We're going over to Shiba-chan's for lunch.  I thought I'd better not jinx it.  But oh well.  What are the chances of you getting called in for yet another emergency shift?"

I opened my mouth to express my happiness about finally getting to meet Shibata when my phone rang.

Aya just had to open her big mouth!
Aw crap...

I grabbed my phone.  The number confirmed my fear.  It was 7-Eleven.

"Good morning, Fujimocchan!" came the energetic greeting, and I sighed in partial relief that it wasn't Fukuda.

"Kuni-chan.  Why are you calling me?"

"Oh, did I wake you up?" she asked innocently.

"What do you think?" I snorted.

"Aw, sorry.  I just wanted to- hey, is Aya-chan there with you?"

Ugg.

My eyebrows twitched.

"Do you want to talk to her or me?" I asked, avoiding the question.

"Oh, so she is?"

"Kuni-chan, what do you want?"

"Ooohh, she is," she sang.

If she had been in front of me, I would have strangled her.

"Tell her I'm sorry if I woke her up, too.  Or maybe you guys were already awake.  Maybe I'm interrupting a moment or-"
Well, looks like Kuniko's dealing with the whole "Miki and Aya are a couple" thing pretty well.  I mean, it's first thing in the morning (well, for Miki it is) and already Kuniko's teasing her about it! She's pretty awesome, isn't she? :D

"What are you calling about?" I asked quietly and politely.

"Oh, well, I have a few minutes before my shift starts.  I was wondering if you were free next Tuesday.  Koda's got another place lined up for us."
Well, looks like Aya's surprise plans for today won't be ruined after all.

"With Koda-kun?"

Aya scrunched her nose up when I said his name, and I laughed silently, sticking my face in hers to dare her to protest.

"With Koda-kun."

"And where is this super sexy club?" I asked, and Aya pushed me down onto the bed, making me yelp out a laugh.

"Are you okay?" Kuniko asked.

I stifled my laughter as an errant Aya crawled up to sit on me.

"Yeah, I'm fine.  Where's the club?"

"Hey Koda-kun!" Kuniko yelled off the phone, and I deduced from this move that she and Koda were working the shift together.

While Kuniko confirmed the location, I looked up at Aya, who had a malicious smile on her face.
Oh, looks like Aya's being naughty. Shame, shame Aya. You know it's not nice to try and distract Miki when she's on the phone.

"Stop it," I mouthed at her, but she pretended not to notice as she began to play with the bottom of my shirt.

"Hey!  Your hands are cold!"

Aya had stuck her hands under my shirt.

"Umm..." Kuniko drawled.  "How about I leave you two alone now?"
:mon huh:

Ok, forget what I said earlier. BE NAUGHTY AYA! BE VERY, VERY NAUGHTY!!!  :twisted:  O0  :pimp:

"No, it's fine," I growled, using my free hand to grab Aya's wrists and push her hands away from me.  "She's asleep and doesn't know what she's doing."
Aya doing stuff in her sleep without knowing it? Miki's one to talk. :lol:

"I am not asleep," Aya piped up loudly, grabbing the phone from me.  "Hi, Kuni-chan.  It's me," she said sweetly, settling down beside me on her stomach as if preparing for a long session of girl talk.

I heard Kuniko's voice come from the phone, mirroring Aya's pleasant tone.  I crossed my arms and let out an irritated huff.  Without looking, Aya put her hand on mine.

"Yeah, she's getting all grumpy now that we're talking."

I flicked the palm of her hand with my finger, making her wince and pull her hand away.  I smiled smugly as she listened to Kuniko.

"Got it.  Oh, and if you want to come over some time next week, I have lots of open evenings.  Let me know when you're free.  Do you have my number and e-mail address?"

I felt dread as I could decipher Kuniko's answer on the phone.  "No," I heard her say.

"When we're done here, I'll e-mail you my information.  Miki-chan's too jealous to willingly give it out."
Well duh, Miki wants to keep Aya all to herself. :love:

Aya must really, REALLY have a good feeling about Kuniko (the fact that they clicked so well on their first meeting and that they both love teasing Miki certainly helps). After all, she's already giving her her contact information even though they've only actually met that one time.  She also shows that she trusts Miki's judgement of Kuniko as a friend. After all, Miki does "go on and on" about how great Kuniko is with Aya. So if she's thinking that if Miki trusts her, then so can she.

"Now, shall we go and meet Shiba-chan?" she asked.

"Does Shiba-chan like to tease people?" I asked.

"Don't be silly," she scoffed.  "Shiba-chan is far too mature for that kind of thing."
Shiba-chan has always been the sensible one, hasn't she?  :)

Aya led me up the elevator.  Despite my trying to convince myself it was irrational, I became a bit nervous.  I didn't let Aya know, though, and I acted cool and collected.

"Miki," Aya said in a quiet voice as we got out of the elevator.

"Yeah?" I asked a little too quickly.

"Breathe."

I was going to protest that I wasn't nervous, but I changed my mind.  She could read my body language a little better than I'd thought.  I gave her a small smile.
Wow, you'd think that it's a "meet the parents for the first time" situation for Miki. :lol:

Shibata was already smiling, knowing who she'd find behind the door.  She and Aya shared a familiar look, and then she looked over at me.

Everything seemed to stop around us as she held my gaze.  Her face dipped into the strangest expression I'd ever seen on someone being introduced to me, and while I'm sure time did not slow down or come to a complete stop, I felt that one second stretch out uncomfortably long.

She hated me.  I could tell right away.  Nobody would look at their best friend's friend with that expression.  She was undoubtedly thinking "How can Aya like this insipid-looking character?"

It was the worst thing that could happen.
Oh come on, Miki's just overreacting her because of her nerves, right? They've only JUST met after all.

Wait a sec, dude, you're not gonna do what I think you might do, are you? You're not gonna make it so that Miki's right about Shiba-chan not liking her, right? :mon cry:

"Next time I'll get Miki-chan to cook for you.  This girl is quite skilled in the kitchen," Aya said suddenly, presenting me with a gesture of the hand.

I frowned and looked up.

"Not really that skilled," I said.  "I do simple stuff only."

"No, I've heard from Aya-chan that you're quite a talented chef," Shibata jumped in.  "I'd be honoured to try your dishes one day."

"Well, maybe if we all work together we can make something good," I mumbled, remembering cooking with Baachan and Aya.
Well, if there IS a little tension between Shiba-chan and Miki, it'll likely go away once they've all had a chance to do something together like this. It's the whole "bonding" thing.   :k-great:  And the whole "making something good" bit could also mean a good friendship as well as good food. :yep:

I excused myself to use the washroom before we left.  When I was going to enter the living room again, I saw Aya and Shibata standing in a corner and speaking in hushed voices.  I hesitated for a moment, unintentionally listening in on them.  I couldn't hear everything they were saying.  Only snippets of conversation.

"Hokkaido... Italy..." I heard Aya say.

"This is insane," Shibata muttered

"I know, but... found... in a restaurant of all..."

"... and she seems so... met?"

I wondered what they were talking about.  Me, no doubt.
They probably are talking about how Aya ditched her Italy thing to go to Hokkaido and find Miki, which Shiba-chan still probably doesn't understand fully.  Shiba-chan is just being herself and being that "little voice" that keeps Aya grounded and that gives her that "other viewpoint" that she needs. It's understandable that Shiba-chan's worried that Aya's rushing into things too fast with something as "insane" as this thing with Miki, but that's part of what makes her such a good friend, and Aya knows it. She's just asking Aya "Are you sure about this?"

And yeah, Aya's sure.

After dinner, bath, and more television, we went to bed.  Hiroshi had always told me I had very bad timing.  I got talkative at the most inopportune times, and it frustrated him, especially when we were doing things that didn't require much talking.  Things that, in fact, required no talking at all.  Shibata and Aya's conversation started playing in my mind again, and I mumbled something aloud.

"Huh?" Aya asked, pulling back from me.

"Shiba-chan," I repeated.

She frowned.

"You realise that I'm Aya, right?"
Whoa, did Miki just interrupt "quality-time" with Aya? :o  This thing with Shiba-chan must REALLY be weighing heavily on her mind if it can distract her from THAT.  :k-crazy:

I just want to ask you something."

"Er, okay..." Aya said with a confused look.  "What is it about Shiba-chan that you want to know?"

"I got the feeling that she didn't like me much.  When I first met her, she looked a little... I don't know how to put it.  Unhappy?  Uncomfortable?  So I was wondering what you were talking about while I was in the washroom."

"Are you worried that if Shiba-chan doesn't like you, you and I won't be able to hang out anymore?"

It sounded so infantile when she put it that way.  Like we were back in elementary school.  I flushed under the safe cover of darkness.  Part of it was true.  While I didn't think Shibata disliking me would lead to me and Aya being separated, I did think that it could make waters unnecessarily stormy.

"I want to get along with her so that we can do things together.  I want all your friends to like me," I admitted.
This is just so sweet. The circumstances under which Miki and Aya's relationship came to be wasn't exactly something you'd expect, and Miki realizes that it could put some people off and/or make things unnecessarily awkward.  If Shiba-chan is such a good friend to Aya, then obviously she must be a good person, and it's sweet how Miki wants them to get along.   :oops:

At the same time it's troubling that she's thinking that things with Shiba-chan might end up NOT go so well.  :(

At the back of mine, however, lingered a thought. 

She never answered my question about their conversation.
Now while us readers know why Aya's being somewhat evasive about this, we need to remember that this is something that's obviously something that she can't just up and tell Miki about. How Aya deals with this (whether she tells Miki or not, or if she comes up with something else to ease Miki's apprehensions) will be interesting to see.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »
They probably are talking about how Aya ditched her Italy thing to go to Hokkaido and find Miki, which Shiba-chan still probably doesn't understand fully.  Shiba-chan is just being herself and being that "little voice" that keeps Aya grounded and that gives her that "other viewpoint" that she needs. It's understandable that Shiba-chan's worried that Aya's rushing into things too fast with something as "insane" as this thing with Miki, but that's part of what makes her such a good friend, and Aya knows it. She's just asking Aya "Are you sure about this?"

And yeah, Aya's sure.

I thought that maybe Shiba-chan recognized Miki somehow remembering about the Miki in the other reality. That would explain why she gave her an awkward look when she first saw her.
Anyways, is the problem in this story going to be that first Aya will hide the truth from Miki, Miki will get suspicious about it, then after argueing couse Miki know's Aya's hiding something Aya will tell her the truth and Miki will think she's crazy?

Offline nkca_

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2007, 10:40:42 PM »
it's getting more interesting i wonder what is Miki going to do when she realizes that this other Miki Aya first liked was kind of an opposite to her, because after all they are kind of different people because their experiences in life haven't been the same they're constructed in a different way but they have the same essence nonetheless

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Wow, you'd think that it's a "meet the parents for the first time" situation for Miki. :lol:
Haha, yeah.  Actually, that's a good way of putting it.  To Miki, Shiba-chan is like part of Aya's family.  Miki may say she doesn't care what other people think about her, but we can all see that she really cares what both Aya and Aya's closest friend think.

Some questions will be answered in the next chapter.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »
Chapter 18

I had always loved Sunday mornings as a child.  Sunday mornings were my sleep in days.  My only sleep in days.  With school and club activities on all other days, I got a daily average of four to five hours of sleep.  But on Sundays, I made up for it.

This Sunday was no different.  I'd gotten used to the crappy curtains, and the light no longer bothered me (if it ever did, I just buried my face in my pillow (or sometimes Aya's neck, which was fun)), so I was able to enjoy a nice and long morning snooze.  This Sunday, I woke up a few times because Aya was tossing restlessly in her sleep.  When that happened, I put an arm over her like a metal bar and stopped her from moving around too much, drifting back into sleep easily.  At eleven o'clock, I coughed myself awake.  Something tickled the back of my throat, and I was jolted into the land of the conscious.  I opened my eyes, a few tears having gathered around them during my convulsions, and I stretched my arms above my head, only to be greeted by a soft "good morning" from beside me.

Aya was on her side, her elbow on her pillow and her head propped up on her hand.  She looked wide awake.  She must have been waiting patiently for me to wake up.  How kind!

"Morning," I replied cheerfully.

"Someone's unusually happy," Aya laughed.

I cocked my head to the side in thought.  Was I being unusually happy?  I guess Sunday morning sleep ins made me feel good.  Life in Tokyo was going so well.  I had a whole slew of friends, and I seemed to meet more every day.  Also, waking up beside a devil in disguise wasn't too bad either.  I grinned and said nothing in reply.

We lazed around for a good ten minutes, mostly keeping quiet but occasionally spouting out ideas about what to do in the afternoon.

"Aya," I whined.

"Hmm?"

"All our ideas sound like stupid date ideas.  I don't want to go on a date with you."

"Um, okay.  Sorry?" Aya said, sounding offended.

"Well, no, I didn't mean it in a bad way.  Just... aren't we cooler?"

"What do you want to do, then?" she challenged.

I tried to think of something good.  Something unique.  Something like what we did in Hokkaido with the snow and the hills.  I could think of nothing in Tokyo.

"I want to go play on a snowy mountain," I mumbled.

I thought I'd get teased, but instead, I got hugged.

"Do you miss your home?" she asked into my ear.

The truth was that I didn't miss Takikawa that much.  I loved the abundant nature there, but in Tokyo there were far more things to do and ways to keep busy.  I just missed the special kind of bond you could build when it was just you and another person all alone out in the middle of nowhere.  You couldn't get that in the capital city.  There was no "alone" outside of the house.

"No," I told her.  "But I miss the sheep!"

"More than your parents?"

"My what?"

Aya laughed, and stopped quizzing me.

"Can we go somewhere today?  Somewhere not so busy?" I asked, wondering if Aya knew of a place nearby.

She thought for a moment.

"I don't really hang out in the outskirts... but we could pick a train at random, ride it, and get off at the smallest station," she suggested.

I liked that idea! 

And so we decided to do that.  We got ready and walked over to the train station.  The sky was grey, soft rain clouds starting to form over the city.  I shivered a bit.

"Are you okay?" Aya asked.

I nodded, sticking my chin further into my jacket.

"I just get all these uncontrollable shivers when I'm around you," I replied jokingly, and she groaned.

Yes, it was a lame thing to say, but I was a lame person around Aya.

We took the train to Shinjuku station and then chose a number at random.  The platform that shared the chosen number was the platform we'd wait on for the next train.

We ended up going to Saitama.  I had been hoping we'd go anywhere but there, but as long as we were together, it didn't much matter where we went.  Aya pulled us off at one of the less crowded stations, and we wandered up to the surface. 

It was a nondescript city.  It looked the same as all the others.  And it was still cold.  No rain fell, but the sky looked a shade darker than it had when we'd first left.

We wandered around, had coffee and a snack at a small café, and tried to find out what the local thing of interest was.  Everyone we asked said there was nothing interesting in this town.  They all looked tired and worn out, even the younger ones.  They all wanted to leave their boring, ultimately unimportant town.  I knew the feeling and sympathised with them.

The most interesting part of the day came when it started to snow.  Not rain.  Snow.  And it snowed a lot.  It started so subtly that it didn't even register in our minds that the white fluff falling from the sky was precipitation. 

I smiled happily as we walked to the station to go back home.  Even if we only got a thin layer that would melt the next day, it was enough to see everything covered in whiteness for an evening.

We hopped on the train and fell asleep on the ride home, arriving at the station in the late afternoon.  When we stepped out of the train, we received a surprise.  It hadn't stopped snowing.  It had continued as we had slept, and there was definitely more than a thin layer of the powder on the ground.  I shivered as the snow went down my neck, reminding myself to bring a scarf if we went out later that night.

We got back to her apartment and had to shake the snow off our jackets and clothes.

"I can't believe it.  It hasn't snowed like this here in years," Aya mumbled as she hung her jacket up.

"I don't mind!" I laughed.  "I wonder how long it'll keep up, though."

We turned on the heater, made tea, and then sat at the table.  Half an hour of meaningless chatter later, Aya stretched her arms and then rubbed her stomach.

"I'm hungry," she declared.

"What should we prepare?" I asked.

She seemed to think a little too hard about the question, and I wanted to tell her to not worry too much.  She went over to the kitchen and looked through the refrigerator and cupboards.

"Hey, Miki-chan," she said in a sweet voice, calling me over.

"Mmhmm?"

I went to join her in the kitchen.

"Would you mind doing me a big favour?"

I looked at her suspiciously, but I couldn't deny Aya a favour.

"What?"

"Could you go and pick some things up at the grocery store?"

Boring.  Why couldn't we go together?

Regardless, I nodded.

"I need to review a script for tomorrow," she explained apologetically, "and I don't want to bore you and do it while you're around.  That way we can both have something to do for the next while and we can spend the rest of the evening together."

I didn't care if she went off and had to memorise a script while I sat around doing something else, but I guess if she wanted to save on time, it would help her out a lot if I did the shopping.

"Okay!" I said with a perky smile.

She made a list of things she needed, and I put my shoes on, taking care to put on my scarf to prevent from being snowed out of my jacket.  She saw me to the door, and then I was off to go shopping.

Some of the things on her list seemed so arbitrarily placed that I wondered if she'd actually meant to write them down.  I ran around the store, however, and got everything she needed, plus some additional things I thought we could use.  I paid, bagged my things, and scurried out in record time.

The snow was coming down hard and fast.  The flakes were giant, and as I walked, I kicked up piles of the stuff up in front of me.  It got into my shoes, and I cursed myself for not bringing warmer shoes to Tokyo.  I didn't think it would snow this much down here.

I made it back home safely, and I walked in quietly as to not disturb Aya.  I put the bag of groceries down on the kitchen floor and looked for the missing girl so that we could put the groceries away together.  She wasn't in the living room, so I went to her bedroom.  The door was open halfway, and I was about to call out to her and slide the door the rest of the way open when I heard something that made my heart stop.

"No, I sent her out to buy a long list of groceries.  I had to talk to you.  Your line's been busy till now."

She sent me out?  Like a mother would a child?  A master a servant?  Who was she talking to?  Why did she feel such an urge to talk to him or her without me around?  Was it what it sounded like?

I did something I wasn't proud of, but that was necessary.  I refrained from calling out to her and stood by the door listening.  She obviously hadn't heard me come in, so here were her real thoughts.

"It's just... it's weird what happened yesterday.  But you're not crazy.  I'm not crazy."

Silence.

I got the impression that she was talking to Shibata.  There was nobody else we had seen the previous day.

"Ah, yeah.  I thought you'd figure it out."

Pause.

"Is that- is that okay?  What do you think?  I mean, it's kind of..."

Shibata must have figured things out just as Aya had predicted.

Aya breathed out a sigh of relief.

"I really do.  She's... I don't know.  Something else.  Special.  To me, at least.  I can't even explain all the years of history..."

For one brief moment, I felt like laughing.  Just like Aya to overdramatically jazz things up.  More like months of history.  Not years.

"Listen, just don't mention that, okay?  I don't think I have a good way of telling her yet."

My ears picked that up nice and clearly.

Tell me what?  Did Aya have some sort of deep, dark secret that I wasn't supposed to know?  Something that she thought might make me hate her?  But there was nothing that I thought could make me feel that way about her...

"She won't understand."

Understand what?

"No, I can't."

Can't what?

"You have one now?  Okay.  I'll call you later.  Tomorrow.  From work."

And before I knew it, the conversation was over and Aya was walking to the door.  I panicked and turned around to run, but then thought it would look suspicious and turned right back around.  Right smack into Aya.

She looked at me with a startled expression, and I tried my best to make it look like I'd just walked in.

"Hi!" I said in a voice that was a decibel too loud.  "I'm back."

I could read the fright in her eyes.  She was scared that I'd overheard her and that I'd be curious.

And you know what?  I wasn't going to pretend.  I was curious.  I was more than curious.  I was a little upset.  Aya was finding excuses to send me out of the apartment while she had secret phone conversations about me.  If she didn't want me around, she should have told me and I would have moved out.  If living with me was too much to handle, I could understand that.  But being so secretive and telling other people about it rather than me hurt.

"Hi," she greeted me nervously.

I dropped the fake cheerful look and replaced it with a serious one.

"Sorry, Aya-chan, but what's going on?  I kind of heard some of that.  If there's something you need to tell me, or if you want me out of your house, I'll leave.  But I have to hear it from you."

Her faced darkened slightly.  Was she angry at me for having listened to her conversation?  Not my most shining moment, I'd admit.

"Miki, honestly, there's nothing you have to worry about.  I definitely don't want you to move out."

I crossed my arms, refusing to take that excuse.  She was avoiding the question again.

"That was Shiba-chan, wasn't it?"

She made no sound to indicate I was wrong.

"What is it with you two?  What did you tell her about me?  What's this thing you have to say to me?"

My questions sounded like machine gun fire.  She let me ask them and then took me by the arm, leading me to the couch.  She pointed to it.

"Sit," she commanded.

For some reason, I felt compelled to follow her instructions.  I felt like I was about to get some sort of answer out of her.  I sat down and waited.  She stood a few metres away and in front of me.

And then she began to speak.  At first I thought she was reminiscing about how we met, which threw me off guard and made me feel warm inside, but her words took another path, and I listened in disbelief as she told me things I could never have imagined.

"Something strange happened a few months ago."

She paused.  What an enigmatic statement.  I wondered what sort of story she was going to tell me.  She looked serious, so I, too, kept a serious expression on my face.

"At the end of October, as you know, I was supposed to fly out to Italy and start some special training, but I bailed out of the project.  I told you the reason I did that was because I couldn't stand the thought of being away for three months and that I wanted more control and a bit of a rest.  That's all true, but I didn't tell you the main reason."

The main reason? I thought curiously.

"The main reason I didn't go was because of you."

I was confused.  Now there was a paradox.

"But Aya, you didn't even know me yet," I laughed lightly.

She didn't laugh along.

"But I did.  Up until the morning of the twenty-sixth of October, a girl named Fujimoto Miki existed in my life.  Years ago, she came to Tokyo as the result of earning a soloist spot in Hello! Project after being denied entry into the group she originally auditioned for.  She - you - and I became best friends, and then some time later, even more.  Just like how we are now."

Her sentences came one after another, and I didn't know whether to giggle insanely at the joke or to tease her first and ask her if she was feeling all right.  Something, however, made me stay silent and let her continue without showing any reaction.

She talked a bit about my time as a soloist, about meeting her, about being put into Morning Musume, about graduating and then leaving the Project and then about becoming the star of the U-Con record label.

"While you were still in Momusu, You came to visit me at a concert.  It was my nineteenth birthday.  You came bearing gifts and confessions.  And from that moment on, we were inseparable.  Until, of course, the day I was supposed to leave for Italy."

I shook my head the slightest bit as I listened.

What the hell was she going on about??

"Huh?" I asked, begging for her to continue.

"That morning, I woke up beside you as usual.  We technically didn't live together, but we were usually together most days of the week."

I nodded once helplessly to acknowledge that I'd heard her.

"I fell back asleep, and when I woke up again, you were gone."

I scratched my ear nervously.

"Washroom?" I asked in a joking tone, although I didn't feel like laughing at all, for she looked far too serious.

"You completely disappeared from the world.  Everybody who had known you no longer knew who you were.  They'd never heard your name before.  All my pictures of you were replaced by different pictures.  In your place there were other friends of mine.  Even in the public eye, Shiba-chan became  my best friend, not you.  My past even changed without my knowing it.  I had done work with people when I'd really done that work with you.  Performances and films.  That sort of thing.  So that's why I didn't go to Italy.  Because in the space of about an hour, my world was not just turned upside down, but torn into pieces."

I stared at her.  She was serious.  Dead serious.  I felt a dull throbbing at the back of my head that I hadn't noticed before.

"I couldn't stand the thought of you having disappeared, so I tried every way to contact you, and when all those failed, I took a plane up to Hokkaido and found you.  It was by chance that I went to that restaurant, but it happened.  Even though you didn't really know who I was, I wanted to get to know you.  That's why I stayed up there for two months.  I tried to leave you because I knew that you had your own life and I was just intruding, but when you latched on to me and made me let you stay with me that night, I realised I could never leave you.  I was too selfish.  So I let you come down here with me, knowing that somehow you'd do well."

She stopped talking, and the first thing I thought was: I wonder if she rehearsed saying all that beforehand.

The second thing I thought was: How hard did she bang her head before I came back?

"Aya-chan..." I started, thinking over my words carefully through my growing headache.  "What the hell are you talking about?  Why are you making up weird stories?  I just wanted to know what you and Shiba-chan were talking about."

She seemed to wake up at the sound of my questions.

"The only person I've told this to is Shiba-chan.  She thought I was crazy at first, but once I went up to Hokkaido and found you, she didn't know what to believe.  What's more, when I took you to her place, the reason why she may have acted strangely at first was because she recognised you.  While you were in the washroom, she told me that she'd been overcome with a frightening feeling of familiarity when she saw your face.  She was trying to figure out why this was."

I drew in a shaky breath.  This was starting to get weird.  It wasn't just Aya now.  It was Shibata, too.  Were they trying to play some joke on me?  If I called Shibata, would she confirm this crazy story just so they could get their kicks?

No.  They wouldn't do that.  They would never go that far to tease me.  There was a boundary line between respect and disrespect that they would not cross

"And it's not just Shiba-chan.  You've been noticing it, haven't you, Miki?"

She pierced me with an all-knowing gaze, and I frowned.  Noticing what??

"People haven't been acting quite normal around you.  People stare at you in the streets.  Yes, you're beautiful, but it goes a bit deeper than that.  It's because they recognise you but can't quite place you.  It's like the memory has been buried so far back in their minds that they can't dig it out, only tug at a small corner of it.  People like Ohashi and Kuniko from U-Con hated you on sight because back in that other world, you were rivals.  They must have felt that when they met you.  Tsuyoshi felt the need to protect you at the club not because you were some defenceless girl about to get beaten up but because the kid worked for you as your secretary.  Even those boys staring at you when we went to the hot springs at the beginning of the year.  They were staring because they somehow knew you were as famous as I was, but couldn't quite remember how."

Too much information.  Too much information.  What did this all mean? 

Yes, I had felt strange vibes coming from many of the people I'd been meeting, but I had thought it was a Tokyo thing, not because of some ridiculous science fiction concept of multiples of the same people existing and dimension hopping and-

"Are you out of your mind?" I asked Aya calmly.

"I know it's hard to believe it, but please.  If you don't believe me, call up Shiba-chan and ask her.  Call up the number of people I phoned the day after you disappeared, asking them if they knew who Fujimoto Miki was.  Some of them are bound to remember me saying the name."

I sat, still as a stone statue.

Aya was talking crazy, but I believed her somehow.  She had no reason to lie to me.  No reason to make up ridiculous stories like this.  And the more I thought about it, the more I was remembering incidents where people had mistaken me for someone else or stared at me unabashedly on the streets.

"What, um..." I swallowed and tried to wet my throat.  "What's this other Miki like?"

Aya came a few steps forward and then manoeuvred herself to sit beside me.

"You and the other Miki are essentially the same person.  A few different habits and strengths since you were partially brought up in different environments.  She's just like you.  She looks exactly like you.  Talks just like you.  Sings like you."

I began to grow wary of this whole situation.  If Aya was telling the truth and she knew a superstar Miki, did that mean when she'd lost that superstar, she'd come up to find me to replace her?  Was I a replacement?  Was that why I was here with her now?  To provide her comfort by being someone that looked exactly like that someone in her memory?

She tried to put a hand on my leg, but I twitched away, pulling back from her.

"I know that you're probably weirded out-"

"Weirded out isn't even close to what I'm feeling right now," I said in a low voice, reigning my anger in and trying to stay calm.

"And I'm sorry that I didn't tell you the whole truth before, but you would have thought I was cra-"

"You are crazy," I stated, and she looked at me in surprise.

"I thought you trusted me," she said in a dejected voice.  "I thought it made sense to you."

"I don't mean about this 'other Miki' thing.  I don't even want to talk about that.  But... no matter who it was, how could you do this to me?  How could you use me like this?"

"Use you?"

Her face was twisted in a genuine expression of confusion, and I laughed darkly at it.

"To replace that other person," I clarified.

Her jaw dropped.

"I didn't replace anybody.  I just thought that you could come here and-"

"And what?  Take her place?  In most circles, that's commonly referred to as replacing," I bit back.

"But I thought you had the potential."

I let that word run through my head before replying.

Potential.

Potential.

"So let me get this straight.  The only reason you like me now is because in your other reality - or whatever - I was also a famous celebrity?  You brought me down here to mould me into that girl?  If I'd just been some regular girl off the street, you wouldn't have cared?"

This is not happening.  This is not happening.  This can't be happening...

"No, that's not it!" she cried out defensively.

"Whatever!" I yelled at her, sick of her excuses.  "Just shut up and leave me alone."

I stalked off to the bedroom and started to pack up my things.

"Where are you going?" she asked in an alarmed tone.

I didn't bother to organise anything properly, simply shoving it into the bag folded or unfolded.

"I'm getting the hell away from you."

She walked up to me and tried to touch me, but I shoved her hand away violently.

"All you've done is use me.  To make yourself feel good or powerful or... who the hell knows?  You're some sort of insane, perverted freak with serious issues," I spat at her.

I slung my bag over my shoulder, pushed past her, and went to put my shoes on.

"You can't leave, Miki.  It's dark already and there's a snowstorm," she insisted in a last, desperate attempt.

"I don't care about the dark or the snow.  Weren't you paying attention to me and our activities in Hokkaido?  Or were you too busy plotting how to get me in your bed and make me famous to notice we were hiking up mountains in fucking blizzards?!"

I yelled this out to her, yanked the door open, and pushed my way out.  Before the door closed, I reached into my pocket, grabbed the spare key that was there, and threw it on the floor of the entrance.  Without another word, I let go of the door and walked off to the stairs.  The door swung shut automatically, making a loud slamming sound as nobody tried to slow it down.

I raced down the stairs, too angry even to see straight.  I'd been living through some sort of lie for the past four months.  Aya had been lying to me since the first day she met me.  Now I had no place to stay.  I'd been close to saving enough money to start renting my own apartment, but I'd been so tempted to keep living with her that I'd been hoping she'd offer again. 

Plans had changed so suddenly.

I had to call someone, but I didn't know who.  The one person I was supposed to be able to trust implicitly had ended up being a liar.  I ran all the way down the stairs, not stopping for a breath until I was at the bottom.  After catching my breath, I forged my way out.

The wind almost blew me over, snow hitting my face as I walked through the storm towards the train station.  I was so cold.  I hadn't had time to bundle up properly, so I had no hat and no gloves, and my jacket wasn't even zipped up.  After ten minutes, I got to the station, my face wet with snow that had melted after hitting it.  I brushed as many snowflakes off of me as possible and then took out my phone, looking through my address book.

I didn't have that many people I could call in Tokyo.  Aya was out of the question since she was the person I was escaping from.  There was Kuniko, who was probably the person I could trust most at that moment, but she'd ask too many questions and I didn't want to talk about it.  There was the Koda group from 7-Eleven, but I wasn't particularly close to any of them.  Then there were my two bosses.  No freaking way.  And then Tsuyoshi.  I wanted to call him.

What am I thinking? I reprimanded myself.  He's a nineteen year old boy and he lives with his parents.  We have nothing in common.

Just a few hours ago, I'd been rejoicing over the amount of friends I'd made since moving to this new city.  Out in the cold darkness, I felt completely alone.  I had nobody I could turn to.  In the end, all I had was myself.  I could only rely on me.

But the amount of confidence in my own judgement that I'd just lost was staggering.  I had completely misjudged Aya and let myself be caught in her web of sweet words and mushy feelings, no clue as to what her true motives had been.  But even though now that I had a clearer picture of why she'd been so nice to me, I still couldn't get over her.  I felt like I'd been betrayed.  I was upset because I still liked her.  Quite a lot, in fact, and that was just wrong.  Nobody should like someone who had been revealed to be so twisted.  The spell should have been broken, but I still found myself wanting to close my eyes and forget everything she'd said in the last thirty minutes.

I wandered around the station for a few minutes, not going inside.  Where would I go?  There was nowhere in the city I knew better than here.  There were still a few hours until the station closed.  I had some time to think about my plan of action.  Afraid that Aya might come out searching for me, I walked fifteen minutes in the opposite direction of her apartment and found a family diner that was open until one in the morning.  I sat down in it and ordered the all-you-can-drink special, wishing it was alcohol, not tea and carbonated drinks.

It felt vaguely familiar to sit in a booth with my cold oolong tea.  The last time I'd sat alone at a family restaurant, I'd been in Takikawa, sulking over my break up with Hiroshi and my mistake of sleepwalking right into his bed.  Nakanoko-chan had happened upon me, though, and I'd felt better to at least have someone around who cared.  This time, there was nobody who would walk by to help me.  Nobody could understand the situation.  Nobody would believe it.  Not even I could believe it.

I shivered, wishing they'd turn up the heating a little, and I sat in silence, the people around me seeming to keep their voices hushed in deference to me and my suffering.  Growing frustrated with my own thoughts, I rummaged through my bag and brought out a book that I'd packed.  It was a paperback detective thriller that I'd bought with the money my mother had sent me for my birthday.  I'd read it once already, but it would do no harm to read it again.  To distract myself, I started from the first page and read my way through steadily.

The next time I looked up from it, it was ten minutes to one, and a waitress was hovering near my table as if urging me telepathically to leave so that she could clean up and leave on time from her shift.  Startled at the time, I made a quick trip to the washroom and then went to pay my bill.  I rushed over to the train station and was downcast to see that the trains had stopped.  Not that I had thought of a plan, but with the closing of the station, my options were severely limited, and I didn't like that feeling.  I sat outside the station, a few other unfortunate souls nearby.  They eventually got up and left.

It was freezing cold and still snowing.  My body didn't feel the cold anymore, though.  I was numb.  I had grown so used to it that I was actually sweating a little, my jacket still undone.  I hadn't even bothered to put on my hat and gloves even though they were sitting in my bag.

I sat on the cold, wet ground and thought for a long time.  I reviewed the past four months in detail.  I tried to analyse every moment I'd spent with that wretched girl.  The girl that had tricked me unfairly and displaced me from my home, making me think that I had a place where I belonged down here in this city.  The girl that had come between me and my potential fiancé.  The girl that had just... done everything to me.  Everything bad.  And everything good.

When I looked at my watch, it was two.  I took my phone out and flipped it open.  Aya had called me once and left no message.  She'd also e-mailed me asking where I was.  I ignored the message and put my phone away.  I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall.  It wasn't the safest place to be at night, but I had nowhere else to go.  I was homeless until the trains started up at some time around five. 

I should go back home.  Back to Takikawa, I thought over and over again.

As I grew sleepy, it struck me as odd that I would have to repeat that to myself.  As if I had to convince myself it's what I wanted.  Try as I might, though, I couldn't shake the feeling of dread that I got from the thought of returning to that town.  I shivered, but I didn't know whether it was from fear of returning to my hometown or from the snow creeping down my neck.

I fell asleep.

=====

(ChiruChaCha: one would think you're spying on me/my hard drive.)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:45:53 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
ooooooh shit!!! :cry:
Miki reacted too fast!! :bleed eyes:
Damn damn...
I want to know what happens neeeext!! :angry:
*will check this story every 10 minutes* lol
I've really got no clue what to say! I will just wait...and wait...and wait....

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
Uuh oh.  You might feel even more frustrated after this next chapter!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Chapter 19

Fire.  I was engulfed in fire.  Flames blistering my skin, melting my bones, burning hideous memories into my mind.

And then ice.  Freezing the parts of my body that still existed.  Stopping my heart and my lungs and my kidneys and my liver.  Forcing my blood's temperature to sub-zero levels.  My veins and arteries bursting from the popsicles forming in them.

And fire again.  Raging fire was all I could see...

With a start, I woke up.  Or I did somewhat.  I opened my eyes enough to be blinded by sun shining off a thick layer of snow that rested on everything.  I was leaning against the wall, my bag beside me, it, too, covered in snow.  I tried to move but I was paralysed.  I grit my teeth at the pain that shot through my entire body as I forced myself to sit up straight.  My head was pounding with a headache that made black spots dance in front of my eyes.  I was breathing shallowly and I felt like I was going to pass out because it was so damned hot.

Someone turn off the heating, I thought.

Despite the heat, I shivered.  I opened my dry mouth and out slipped a moan of pain.

Where am I? my mind asked.

I blinked a few times, trying to focus on something other than the white of the snow and the black spots that still ran around before me.  I saw a street and some stores and some parked bicycles...

Station.  I'm at the station.  But how did I get here?

I managed to move a hand and brought it up to my face.  It was numb.  I rubbed my temples, trying to banish the headache from my skull, but it didn't work.  I almost started to cry, it hurt so much.

I felt a buzzing.  The buzzing made me feel sick.  My ears started to ring.

No, not my ears.  My phone.

My hand fumbled to pull it out of my bag and I hit "talk".

"Hello?" I rasped out.

No, that's a generous description of what I did.  I barely made a sound.

"Miki?  Is that you?"

Someone asked me.  Someone I knew.  Someone whose name I couldn't quite remember.

"Yes," I said, trying to push my voice out a little more.

"What's the matter?  Where are you?"

What was the matter with me?  I didn't know.  Was there something the matter?  There must have been.  I couldn't move, couldn't breathe properly, couldn't feel anything but pain...

I knew where I was, though.

"Station," I croaked.  "Snowy station."

And then I thought that hanging up seemed like a good idea, so I did so.  No reason.  Just because.

I slumped back against the wall and closed my eyes.  I felt the world spin, and I asked it to stop.  It didn't.

An unknown amount of time passed.  I heard a faint ringing accompanied by a buzzing sound, but I ignored it.  I fell into a black hole, sucked through a tube of nothingness.

The next thing I felt were hands grasping me by the armpits and hefting me up.  I opened my eyes a bit, but I was leaning over someone's shoulder.  I could see the white of the snow behind us.  I felt myself being put into something.  A car.  I knew it was a car because I felt an engine turning as it drove off.

Who is this? I wondered.

I kept my eyes closed.  The world spun less if I did.  My head hurt less if I did.  I travelled further down the black hole.

And then hands were pulling at me again, dragging me out of the car.  I went inside.  It was so dark.  So very dark.  No white snow.

"Are you okay?"

The distant voice sounded warped.  It came from so far away.

"Hnnn," I replied, trying to tell this person I had heard the question but that I couldn't form words.

I had to try harder.  I was alive.

"O...kay..." I managed to get out.

There were no more questions.  I felt grateful about that.  It hurt my head to think of answers.

My next memory was of being undressed.  I wanted to protest, but I couldn't form words.

After being undressed, I was being sprayed by water.  It burned my skin and I wanted to scream, but I still couldn't make a sound.  I opened my eyes and I could see someone in the shower with me, but everything was too hazy.  I felt hands on me.  But kind ones.  Cleaning me with soap and a cloth.  Washing my hair.  Rinsing all the soap off of me.

I fell over and arms caught me, pulling me back up and holding me in place.

And then I was being dried and dressed in warm clothes and put into a bed.  Once in bed, I felt so chilly that I thought I was going to freeze to death right there.  I shivered and opened my eyes.  A blob of flesh was looking down at me, speaking to me, saying something.  I couldn't understand it.

I felt a hand touch my forehead.

It must have been a doctor.  That was a doctor-ish thing to do.

I closed my eyes, falling back into a painful dream of fire and ice.

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2007, 02:09:23 PM »
EHHH?????!!!!!!
Who is it???? Aya? I hope so!!!!
Oh damn OTN1 you are making this so exciting!!!^^ :w00t:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
2 chapters eh? Guess I'd better get comfy. :)

Chapter 18
"I want to go play on a snowy mountain," I mumbled.

I thought I'd get teased, but instead, I got hugged.

"Do you miss your home?" she asked into my ear.
Well, even if she won't admit it, it's only natural that she get a bit homesick and miss doing some of the things that she used to be able to do.

We ended up going to Saitama.  I had been hoping we'd go anywhere but there, but as long as we were together, it didn't much matter where we went.  Aya pulled us off at one of the less crowded stations, and we wandered up to the surface.
I'd laugh if they ran into Yossi. :lol:

I made it back home safely, and I walked in quietly as to not disturb Aya.  I put the bag of groceries down on the kitchen floor and looked for the missing girl so that we could put the groceries away together.  She wasn't in the living room, so I went to her bedroom.  The door was open halfway, and I was about to call out to her and slide the door the rest of the way open when I heard something that made my heart stop.

"No, I sent her out to buy a long list of groceries.  I had to talk to you.  Your line's been busy till now."
Uh-oh. Who's Aya calling? Miki's mom? Shiba-chan?  :O

"It's just... it's weird what happened yesterday.  But you're not crazy.  I'm not crazy."

Silence.

I got the impression that she was talking to Shibata.  There was nobody else we had seen the previous day.

"Ah, yeah.  I thought you'd figure it out."
Shiba-chan it is then.  That girls one smart cookie, isn't she?

"I really do.  She's... I don't know.  Something else.  Special.  To me, at least.  I can't even explain all the years of history..."

For one brief moment, I felt like laughing.  Just like Aya to overdramatically jazz things up.  More like months of history.  Not years.

"Listen, just don't mention that, okay?  I don't think I have a good way of telling her yet."

"She won't understand."

Understand what?

"No, I can't."

Can't what?
That's right, only Shiba-chan knows about the "other" Miki and about how she and Aya were together and about why that was the reason Aya went to Takikawa in the first place...

Shit if Miki finds this out she's gonna think Aya's some whacked out, obsessive freak that's been stalking her or something. THAT, and the fact that it would really hurt her to find out that she's actually a "replacement" of sorts. Imagine if you were Miki and you found this out. You'd think that Aya didn't come and fall for YOU, she came because she fell for this OTHER you and YOU just happen to be the closest thing to it. Miki here has given EVERYTHING up to come to Tokyo and be with Aya; to find out that Aya doesn't love her...but rather loves this OTHER Miki..damn that's just so morbid/fucked up. :o

"Sorry, Aya-chan, but what's going on?  I kind of heard some of that.  If there's something you need to tell me, or if you want me out of your house, I'll leave.  But I have to hear it from you."
* JFC moves away from the fan and gets an umbrella.

*Aya tells Miki the story*
Ok...now she knows. Now what? :cry:

"Aya-chan..." I started, thinking over my words carefully through my growing headache.  "What the hell are you talking about?  Why are you making up weird stories?  I just wanted to know what you and Shiba-chan were talking about."
Admittedly, this story does sound a bit far-fetched. It's not surprising that Miki's a little hesitant to believe it.

"The only person I've told this to is Shiba-chan.  She thought I was crazy at first, but once I went up to Hokkaido and found you, she didn't know what to believe.  What's more, when I took you to her place, the reason why she may have acted strangely at first was because she recognised you.  While you were in the washroom, she told me that she'd been overcome with a frightening feeling of familiarity when she saw your face.  She was trying to figure out why this was."
Whoa, Shiba-chan recognized Miki??? :o 

Now we've moved from just weird to "Twilight Zone" weird.

"And it's not just Shiba-chan.  You've been noticing it, haven't you, Miki?"

She pierced me with an all-knowing gaze, and I frowned.  Noticing what??

"People haven't been acting quite normal around you.  People stare at you in the streets.  Yes, you're beautiful, but it goes a bit deeper than that.  It's because they recognise you but can't quite place you.  It's like the memory has been buried so far back in their minds that they can't dig it out, only tug at a small corner of it.  People like Ohashi and Kuniko from U-Con hated you on sight because back in that other world, you were rivals.  They must have felt that when they met you.  Tsuyoshi felt the need to protect you at the club not because you were some defenceless girl about to get beaten up but because the kid worked for you as your secretary.  Even those boys staring at you when we went to the hot springs at the beginning of the year.  They were staring because they somehow knew you were as famous as I was, but couldn't quite remember how."
Noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. You've been very methodical about how you've laid this all out, haven't you? Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nicely done. :yep:

"What, um..." I swallowed and tried to wet my throat.  "What's this other Miki like?"
This was something that Miki had to ask. She has to know if Aya is still clinging to the love she had for the other Miki, or if she, as she said, loves THIS Miki for who she truly is.

"You and the other Miki are essentially the same person.  A few different habits and strengths since you were partially brought up in different environments.  She's just like you.  She looks exactly like you.  Talks just like you.  Sings like you."

I began to grow wary of this whole situation.  If Aya was telling the truth and she knew a superstar Miki, did that mean when she'd lost that superstar, she'd come up to find me to replace her?  Was I a replacement?  Was that why I was here with her now?  To provide her comfort by being someone that looked exactly like that someone in her memory?
Shit, here we go...

"So let me get this straight.  The only reason you like me now is because in your other reality - or whatever - I was also a famous celebrity?  You brought me down here to mould me into that girl?  If I'd just been some regular girl off the street, you wouldn't have cared?"
Miki's offended here, and considering what she's just heard, it's not that surprising that she is. In some ways, she's perfectly justified in feeling this way.  In her eyes, everything that she thought was true about Aya and about what they had together has been shattered. Where she was once convinced that she did the right thing, now EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is in doubt.

I stalked off to the bedroom and started to pack up my things.

"Where are you going?" she asked in an alarmed tone.

I didn't bother to organise anything properly, simply shoving it into the bag folded or unfolded.

"I'm getting the hell away from you."

Before the door closed, I reached into my pocket, grabbed the spare key that was there, and threw it on the floor of the entrance.  Without another word, I let go of the door and walked off to the stairs.
Fuck this is serious. Miki is BEYOND angry right now. She thinks that she's just been some...toy that Aya's been playing with over the last few months.  She's been humiliated.

I just hope Miki doesn't do something stupid at this point.  :gyaaah:

I should go back home.  Back to Takikawa, I thought over and over again.

As I grew sleepy, it struck me as odd that I would have to repeat that to myself.  As if I had to convince myself it's what I wanted.
If Miki needs to repeat this to herself, if she feels the need to convince herself that it's the right thing to do...then it's not the right thing to do.

Chapter 19
With a start, I woke up.  Or I did somewhat.  I opened my eyes enough to be blinded by sun shining off a thick layer of snow that rested on everything.  I was leaning against the wall, my bag beside me, it, too, covered in snow.  I tried to move but I was paralysed.  I grit my teeth at the pain that shot through my entire body as I forced myself to sit up straight.  My head was pounding with a headache that made black spots dance in front of my eyes.  I was breathing shallowly and I felt like I was going to pass out because it was so damned hot.
Shit, she might have hypothermia or even pneumonia from sleeping out in the snow.  :k-sad:

My ears started to ring.

No, not my ears.  My phone.

"Miki?  Is that you?"

"What's the matter?  Where are you?"

What was the matter with me?  I didn't know.  Was there something the matter?  There must have been.  I couldn't move, couldn't breathe properly, couldn't feel anything but pain...

I knew where I was, though.

"Station," I croaked.  "Snowy station."
But who's calling? Aya? Even though she's delirious right now, Miki would have recognized her voice, wouldn't she? :dunno:

The next thing I felt were hands grasping me by the armpits and hefting me up.  I opened my eyes a bit, but I was leaning over someone's shoulder.  I could see the white of the snow behind us.  I felt myself being put into something.  A car.  I knew it was a car because I felt an engine turning as it drove off.

Who is this? I wondered.
A car? I don't remember anything about Aya having a car or being able to drive here?

My next memory was of being undressed.  I wanted to protest, but I couldn't form words.
Well, it definitely won't be Tsuyoshi (unless he got his mom to take care of cleaning Miki up in the shower and putting her to bed).

Once in bed, I felt so chilly that I thought I was going to freeze to death right there.  I shivered and opened my eyes.  A blob of flesh was looking down at me, speaking to me, saying something.  I couldn't understand it.

I felt a hand touch my forehead.

It must have been a doctor.  That was a doctor-ish thing to do.

I closed my eyes, falling back into a painful dream of fire and ice.
Okay, right now I'm betting that it's Shiba-chan who has the car, and that she helped Aya find and get Miki back to the apartment.

>_> 

Although, considering all the twists you've given us amongst all of your stories so far, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the mystery person was Hiroshi, who had finally come to terms with things and had decided to come to Tokyo to visit Miki, and that she's actually in his hotel room.  Among all of the characters that Miki has met/interacted with in this story so far, it's bound to be either Aya or Hiroshi who would take care of Miki this way (especially the bit about washing her in the shower). 

<_<

Offline Gomaki

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2007, 08:08:49 PM »
"Although, considering all the twists you've given us amongst all of your stories so far, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that the mystery person was Hiroshi, who had finally come to terms with things and had decided to come to Tokyo to visit Miki, and that she's actually in his hotel room.  Among all of the characters that Miki has met/interacted with in this story so far, it's bound to be either Aya or Hiroshi who would take care of Miki this way (especially the bit about washing her in the shower)."

@ JFC   Could be possible as well...but I hope not :(

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:27 PM »
i thought u were gonna kill Miki already  :banghead:

plz...just let them hav a happy ending once!
i getting really frustrated already...

But it´s a very great chap anyway  :P

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »
...damn that's just so morbid/fucked up. :o
There's what people think of me as a writer in a nutshell!  Especially Kei-Br.  But I'm really not.

Noiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. You've been very methodical about how you've laid this all out, haven't you? Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery nicely done. :yep:
Hahaha, thank you.  I tried.

I'm curious who everyone thinks this person is.  I guess I left it off a bit cliffhanger-y.  There are a few characters in the story that I think would/could do this for Miki.  Then there are some other options one wouldn't think of right away (hahaha, that kind of reminds me of when I wrote that phone conversation with Sayumi).

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2007, 02:15:34 AM »
 :( :(I'm sad now...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2007, 03:35:58 AM »
I guess I left it off a bit cliffhanger-y.
Just a bit? ;D

(hahaha, that kind of reminds me of when I wrote that phone conversation with Sayumi).
I remember how floored I was when you did that, even though it was in an "AWWWWWWWWWWWWW" kind of way after reading it. :)

Offline Sevii

• Member+
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2007, 09:28:36 AM »
I.. I just can't keep quiet anymore!

I've been stalking your fics for a while now, and, I must say, no other fics floored me the way the last two chapters have. Seriously, I wish I could find a way to pick my jaw off the ground right now. This is a freaking roller coaster ride.

Well done though, well mapped out. But still, really, I'd like to be able to pick my jaw back up some time soon.

Now that you've mentioned it, I had naturally assumed that it would be Aya who picked Miki up. I mean, it was the only reasonable thing. Aya called, Miki told her she was at the station, it'd only make sense that it was Aya who picked her up.

Hmm.

And no, please, not Sayu, I don't think Miki could handle waking up to USA-CHAN PEACE! ^^V

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2007, 09:56:42 AM »
As always, dont expect anything intellegent from me...

But.

Wow.

The chapter of Miki and Aya fighting was kinda ...painful? I hate it when people arent forgiven or are hot headed but it still didnt stop me from LOL'ing. I think it was when Miki called Aya crazy... I kind of expected you to have Aya fob Miki with more excuses and avoid the problem a little more so when you actually went through with it I was pretty astounded.

Seriously though, if someone told me I was a completely copy except from a different universe kinda thing, Id live.

The next chapter was pretty awesome. Kinda lonely but real. Its very much how someone feels when they are down and trying to forget. The whole sleeping in the snow .. well thats just damn crazy. (The phone convo was funny though). Cant wait to find out who picked her up. Im putting my money on Ochiai

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline ChiruChaCha

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • cuak!
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »
(ChiruChaCha: one would think you're spying on me/my hard drive.)

Lol, that would kill all the fun. I'm sorry, I seriously didn't think I'd get it right. Well, okay, I was pretty confident about Shiba-chan recognizing Miki, but most of the 'forecasts' I've done in this story were wild guessing. Anyways I think I'm gonna stop it and stick to what happens at the moment so I can enjoy every chapter more('enjoy' is not the word for what I did in the last two chapters though...).

Just as Mikan, I didn't expect Aya to tell Miki this soon, but I guess Miki would be even angrier if Aya waited more(although it would be time in which Miki would fall deeper and deeper for Aya therefore making it harder to try to detach herself from her, right?).

About who saved Miki, it's really confusing, couse it's difficult to completely rule out a character in your stories, but I reread the chapter and judging by how collected the person is I'd say it's not Aya. So thinking about who could be collected in that situation Shiba-chan and Ochiai come to mind(well, in fact I had completely forgot about Ochiai, I just read Mikan's comment), and between those two my bet is on Ochiai. The one who called her earlier could be anyone though.
Just for the record, I made this last 'forecast' just because you said you were curious about who we thought it was xD

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Burger Nuds - Kusa no Hana