JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ChrNo - Za Story of Noisy Hipstaz (THE OFFICIAL ANTHEM of JPH!P)

Author Topic: AMD Names Athlon's Successor: Phenom  (Read 3429 times)

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
Re: AMD Names Athlon's Successor: Phenom
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 01:31:40 AM »
Wow, great news..i'm an AMD fan.. still stick with socket-939.. will get one of that socket-1207+ later..

" Phenom will work in current Socket-AM2/Socket-1207 motherboards with a BIOS update, but it loses the ability to run its Northbridge and CPU cores at separate voltages/clock frequencies. If you buy a new Socket-AM2+/Socket-1207+ motherboard, then the CPU cores and Northbridge can run at separate voltages/frequencies. The benefit of doing this is not only power savings, but AMD has indicated that it can actually run the Northbridge faster than the CPU cores (by 200 - 400MHz) which will improve performance. The L3 cache happens to run on the same voltage plane and at the same frequency as the Northbridge, compounding the performance benefits of using a new "plus-socket" motherboard (Socket-AM2+/Socket-1207+)."

Offline nop

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:16:52 AM »
I will buy one when it is as efficient as Core2. It might still be hotter overall though. Can't wait for a review.  I need another desktop soon and new AMD might not be out for awhile.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:41:20 AM »
I don't care about the specs until it's time for me to buy new hardware, but the name Phenom... That's cool! It's like Venom from the Spider-Man, who is also cool... or "phear".
coot is ctz

Offline Since1983

• Miki Fujimoto's Sex Slave
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 08:50:45 AM »
Hopefully it can regain some ground after getting killed by Intel. It just seemed not too long ago that AMD was winning the war.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours. ;)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:55:53 PM »
Core 2 Duo was a huge coup for Intel.

I'll wait and see on this one. My computer is less than a year old, so I won't be replacing the core parts any time soon.

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 11:34:12 AM »
i don't expect the phenom to blow away intel. the most i think it'll do is level the playing field once more. 4x native cores (in barcelona/phenom) is a nice touch over intel's 2x dual-core package, but besides specific benchmarks, i don't see any major advantages unless many apps begin to ship with multithreading (not just dual-threading). i think what will happen is that this will turn into an application war, with intel taking back a large segment of the home-user and gaming markets (if they build a solid relationship with nVidia), and AMD continuing their increasing sales into the server market (itanium never caught on, but opteron sure has). it'll probably be a tossup among laptops--"performance-per-watt" doesn't specify which takes priority.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 08:50:30 PM »
AMD are good and Phenom is a good name.

I wish I had more to say on the subject... I used to be really into hardware but this reminds me how much I've lost touch :D

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 03:46:24 PM »
Not really that excited about this. AMD just named the new architecture but no processors out yet. When they get the Phenom on the retail market and there's benchmarks from it I'm interested.

Offline jimmy

• I'm not a cat
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »
I've been disapointed with AMD's recent offerings, hopefully this'll put them back at the top, but they've got stiff competition since Intel got it's ass in gear, which was a long time coming to be honest.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: ChrNo - Za Story of Noisy Hipstaz (THE OFFICIAL ANTHEM of JPH!P)