JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - Fight for Your Run

Author Topic: [Poll] Star Wars vs. Star Trek  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
[Poll] Star Wars vs. Star Trek
« on: May 02, 2009, 08:02:15 AM »

VS.

It had to be done! Vote & Discuss!

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [Poll] Star Wars vs. Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 08:09:14 AM »
Gotta be Star Wars.

Two words: Han & Chewie!! BOOM BABY!

The whole "redemption" "loyalty" "brotherhood" and all da gangsta shit rolled up into 1 Trilogy! Yoda spitting mad rhymes. THERE IS NO TRY!! Vader tearing people new assholes!! And Lando so smooth with da ladies. Luke screaming like a  bitch!! Best line ever "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO That's impossible!"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
Star Wars all the way. The recent trilogy not so much, and Return Of The Jedi had the almighty Empire defeated by a couple teddy bears but other than that it's all quality. Empire Strikes Back FTW.

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:19 PM »
As a kid, some of my fondest memories were of watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with my dad.  But I remember after ST:TNG ended, I started getting really interested in Star Wars, buying dozens of the novels and obsessing over the movies.  I eventually stopped right around the time they started the New Jedi Order.  I think Episode I pretty much was the beginning of the end for me and Star Wars.

What defines both Star Wars and Star Trek for me are their second-released parts.  To me, Episode V and The Next Generation just transcend everything else in either of those universes.  That's when both "jumped the shark", so to speak.  Looking back at my experiences with both of these rich sci-fi universes, I'd have to say that Star Trek edges out Star Wars, mainly because of Capt. Picard, Data, and the rest of TNG.

Really though, I think George Lucas ruined Star Wars for me.  Both by having I-III be so cringe-inducing at times, as well as unnecessarily fucking around with the original trilogy.
Gene Roddenberry on the other hand is dead, so you can't blame everything afterward on him like you can with George Lucas.

I could go on and on and would like to do so, but it's late and I really have to go to sleep soon, so I'll just say this:

Star Wars taught me how to dream, but Star Trek taught me how to live.

More later, maybe about my Star Wars novel collection, idolizing George Lucas for a short time, how my personal beliefs were shaped by The Next Generation, or owning the entire TNG series on DVD.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:14:16 PM »
Star Wars all the way, man! I'll admit, the new trilogy isn't the best, actually, number two sucked ass in my opinion, and then number three brought it back. But the original trilogy? I could watch them any time :D
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
Star Trek, by a landslide. They used to be fairly evenly matched until those three new movies. In my brutally honest opinion, those were the biggest pieces of shit I've ever seen, and I can't even see the old ones the same way anymore. Star Trek, though, I've always enjoyed. I even liked Enterprise. :lol: That's just me, though.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »
Star Wars, I can't understand so well. Kinda find a new thing every time I watch it.

Star Trek is a more realistic future. So it's easier to relate to some of the characters. Making me like it just that bit more.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:53:47 AM »
Love both, but I'm definitely more of a Trekker. In particular, this:
Star Wars taught me how to dream, but Star Trek taught me how to live.
pretty much sums it up. :yep:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 04:51:11 AM »
Star Wars shaped me more than Capt. Kirk and the Gang.

Offline Yo Jimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 05:03:05 AM »
Star Wars for me. Original trilogy was sweet and I was mighty fond of the ewoks which puts all 3 movies at the same level for me.  Second trilogy was ok. Also, not too many ZOMG TAHT WUZ SO EPIK moments and thus couldn't compare with the originals. Also, I'm pretty sure it was my first experience with sci-fi (that I can remember anyway) so it's what defined sci-fi for me.Oh and one word: lightsabers.

I like Star Trek though. Unfortunately, I think the most episodes I've seen was from Voyager and a bunch of people I know think that was the worst series. It just happened to be on and that's what I've identified with first. Watched a bunch of the originals which was good for lolz and from what I've seen from TNG, it's pretty sweet. I haven't seen much of DS9 and I didn't really care for Enterprise. I'm stoked for the movie coming out though. I can't wait to see Roldy as Sulu.
Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the diehards

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »
I'm saying Star Wars just because I know more about it.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:25 AM »
Star Wars wins for me. Star Trek is great too because there's hundreds of hours of good stuff but the original Star Wars trilogy still does it for me in a big way.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hitomi - Fight for Your Run