JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - Watch Out

Author Topic: (Group) SPEED  (Read 88356 times)

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
Re: (Group) SPEED
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2011, 08:30:31 AM »
I must say out of all the jpop acts I know, it gets no better than these girls. These girls did everything at such a high level. Many people will disagree with me I am sure but I feel that SPEED is the peak of jpop music. They are the monks at the top of the mountain and everyone else is trying to get to them.

SPEED FOR THE MUTHAFUCKIN' WIN!!!!!
SPEED is all that you posted above.....one of the most significant teen pop acts in music history, and bless them, they are  now extraordinarily talented and beautiful adults   (PV) HQ SPEED S. P .D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:36:02 AM by muppet »

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2011, 02:07:20 AM »
SPEED performing in Kobe last month as part of the ongoing fundraising and support for Tohoku region. Kobe people especially understand the importance of supporting those in need.

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2011, 03:52:32 AM »
"Body and Soul" and "Little Dancer"

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:08 PM »
SPEED has again come up with a magical performance.....

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
Bought the CD/DVD of "Little Dancer" the other day, and now enjoy SPEED performing their new hit song on Happy Music. But first Hitoe's loved friend!!!

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Part 1 of 2 parts....a little long, but if you are a SPEED fan, this is really fun!
誰だって波瀾爆笑 特別編 SPEED 1/2 {With thanks to diver7jp00}

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
Part 2

Offline pretend_2besome1

• The "C" Kite
  • Member+
  • WakaRei: So real it's unreal
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2011, 07:16:15 PM »
SPEED has again come up with a magical performance.....SPEED / リトルダンサー
Whoa, it's so refreshing to see the video...they never fail to remind me why I love them :wub:
The other videos will take a quite a long while to see as my internet speed isn't friendly but thanks!

TakaSemaru  :heart:

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 05:50:11 PM »
diver7jp00 has posted this 6 part series on YouTube. Here is part 1 of 6, then just go to YouTube to watch the next parts.

Audience in the television studio goes a bit nuts when SPEED is introduced,  which is exactly what I would do....Such and amazing group, and so glad they are back together

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2011, 04:08:46 AM »
Didn't realize they had played this song, older one by Puffy....and live with Nori-P! :thumbsup

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Just posted this in the "what song you can't get out of your head" thread" but am posting here as it is a very early indicator of how great a team SPEED and the producers and musicians surrounding them really were  :thumbup..............This song was off of their first album "Starting Over"...Eriko Imai and Hiroko Shimabukuro were both 13 years old when the album was released in May 1997.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:45:18 PM by muppet »

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
Real old scans from Kindai magazine. :)

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »
Think we need to pin this at the top of page one! :yep:

Bigger version here:

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:02 AM »
This is not the full song, but because it is official Avex posting, at least the song will remain and not get pulled. Little Dancer is a great song, eveything about why I have always enjoyed SPEED

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »
"Lovely Friendship" - Thumping base, shifts in the speed and rhythm of the song, Eriko and Hiro trading leads and then joining their voices together, backed by great singers and musicians.
Lots of room for some teen angst when Hiro hits the highs, but still a song that was most definitely NOT a kiddie song, despite the fact that these were middle schoolers performing in 1997.
 Fans the same age as the girls could feel the respect that was accorded to SPEED by the writers and producers, and this is why they were wildy popular when they hit the scene  with kids their own age, defining a generation in Japan, much as the Beatles did back in the 60's in the U.K., Canada and the U.S.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
This baka's last watch. :O

I have the DVD but found that it's subbed on YT, here's part 1 if you're interested. :panic:

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
This is over 1 hour long so I have not finished yet, but SPEED announces some upcoming handshake events and they are fun, beautiful, and awesome as always:

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2011, 03:30:16 AM »
Need to find the whole mags of these. :sweatdrop:

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »
Stumbled across this article a few years ago, finally found it after all this time, fans should enjoy it, but....is it a conspiracy? :panic:

SPEED and The Monkees: A Conspiracy Theory

You're probably asking yourself, "What does an all-girl Japanese pop group have to do with an all-male band from the sixties?"   Well, not a whole lot, but SPEED and The Monkees do have quite a bit in common.  Spooky things.  Similarities so similar that one can't help but deem it all a conspiracy.

Whether you're a fan of SPEED, The Monkees, both or neither, you have the right to know that these two drastically different pop groups are much too similar for me to be comfortable.  My only insight to a possible conspiracy is this: pop music history repeats itself in the most subtle ways. I don't know who is behind this conspiracy or why, all I know is it creeps me out.  These creepy likenesses transcend distance, language, time, gender, and my own sanity.

What is SPEED?
SPEED is an all-girl Japanese pop group from Okinawa.  Their reign in the world of J-Pop lasted from 1996 until their breakup in March of 2000.  All four members are maintaining solo careers right now, but J-Pop hasn't been the same since their departure as a unit.

Who are SPEED?

Hiroko Shimabukuro
Eriko Imai
Takako Uehara
Hitoe Arakaki

SPEED's music was not anything spectacular, but it was very catchy pop music.  Most critics wrote them off as a teen fad without much talent or staying power.  Actually, the singing was top notch considering SPEED formed when the girls were ages eleven through fourteen.  Part of their popularity was their dancing abilities as well.  They are definitely one of my favorite all-time groups.

Who are the...wait a minute, are those The Monkees??!
The Monkees were a popular group/band from the 1960's.  They are notoriously known as the first boy band.  What is notable about them was their television show The Monkees, which was the first show to combine situation comedy with the music industry.  The show lasted for only two seasons, but remains legendary.  The band still goes on tour now, but I can't think of any good reason why anyone should go see them.

Who are The Monkees?

Davy Jones
Micky Dolenz
Peter Tork
Mike Nesmith

Even though they scored a number of chart topping singles, The Monkees will always be ridiculed for not playing their own instruments.  People conveniently forget that on most of their albums they did.  Nonetheless, everything in pop eventually falls from grace, and only the bad things are remembered.  The Monkees are definitely my favorite vice. They're the closest thing to a drug addiction I will ever have.  I love the boys, but that doesn't stop me from making endless fun of them.

That's fine and good, but so what?
Sure, SPEED and The Monkees are both pop quartets that never got much respect from musical elitists.  And sure, they're both cute teen idol groups.  So what?  They have nothing to do with each other!  Right?

Wrong!  The Monkees and SPEED are so alike that I had to go and make a page about it.  Because these groups are so different from each other, I find their similarities unsettling.  However, if you know about one group and not the other, you get to learn something new today!  Hoorah!  Enjoy, and please realize, this is all speculation....or is it?

........... part 2 next post...... the similarities! :shocked

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2011, 08:46:21 AM »
SPEED.  The MONKEES.  A CONSPIRACY.

Now that you're better acquainted with SPEED and The Monkees, check out some of the eerie similarities between them.  Sure, any of these can be written off as mere coincidences.  But let's think about it.  Until this web page, the closest thing to Monkees that SPEED knew about was the group Super Monkeys who attended the same school as them.  And the only SPEED the Monkees knew about was...well, you can all figure that one out.  >_<

Creepy Group Similarities

Here are the similarities of the groups as a whole.

Similarity Number One:  The "Carry on My Way" cover and "Greatest Hits" cover
These album covers are practically identical!  The positioning of the members is exactly the same, save maybe a difference in head angles.  Peter and Eriko are in the EXACT same position, and they're the only ones who look happy to be there.  Both Davy and Hiroko are at the bottom and they both look slightly pissed about posing for another picture.  Mike and Hitoe are both at the top, and they too look annoyed about the situation.  And well, Micky and Takako both look like they're somewhere else.  At least Takako was decent enough to look at the camera.

Similarity Number Two:  Time
The Monkees officially formed in 1965, but didn't release any singles until 1966.  SPEED officially formed in 1995, but didn't release any singles until 1996.  The Monkees released their movie Head in 1968.  SPEED released their movie Andromedia in 1998.  The Monkees officially called it quits in 1970.  SPEED disbanded in 2000.  Is this just a coincidence, or did SPEED decide to do everything the Monkees did exactly thirty years later?

Similarity Number Three: Birthdates
Mike, the tallest Monkee, was born on December 30, 1942.  Davy, the shortest Monkee, was born on December 30, 1945, exactly three years later.  Hitoe, the shortest SPEED member, was born on April 7, 1981.  Hiroko, the tallest SPEED member, was born on April 7, 1984, exactly three years later. 
What are the chances?

Similarity Number Four: Names
SPEED's members are Hiroko, Hitoe, Eriko and Takako.  The Monkees' members are Mike, Micky, Davy and Peter.  Hiroko and Hitoe both start with the letter H, and the following letter is I.  Mike and Micky both start with M, and the following letter is also I.  Considering neither Mike or Micky go by their first names, it's almost like they chose their nicknames just to accomodate SPEED thirty years later.  Well, probably not, but how often does stuff like this happen?

Similarity Number Five:  Monkees Closing Credits and SPEED's "Nettaiya" Music Video
I think this one is self-explanatory.

Not sure who wrote it, site is long dead but it was on Anglefire......... sort of gives you the creeps though! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - Watch Out