JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Cry Cry

Author Topic: [2010.07.01] AKB48 Official Guest of Honor of Anime Expo 2010 (GIRLS ANNOUNCED!)  (Read 60735 times)

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
Hard to believe it's already here. This freakin' week! Dayum!

I gotta get packed tomorrow. I worked on it some today but I'm only 1/3 of the way there. :D

Offline Linna2040

• a.k.a. Kristen
  • Member+
Attendees:  Looking for a person (or more) to help fact gather for a coverage article to also post on www.ogfuture.com.  Basic note taking:  set list, anything noteworthy at the concert and panel.    I'll be there too but the more eyes and ears, the better!

(If you're going to do a write up anyway and want to give me permission to mine it for details, that works also.)

If you're interested, PM me!
This Lesbian's Arts and Entertainment Forum.  Reviews and news of a LGBT-nature: http://www.pkristenenos.com/tlef/

Offline Aa!rita

• みんなよろしくにゃん♪\(^o^)/
I heard that they are leaving japan today = arriving tommorrow noon.
So i guess ill be driving tonight to LA!
see you guys @ LA

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Have fun Aa!rita!!

Hope to hear your reports / see photos from the airport. :D

ETA:

lol Yuko's already there
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:45:39 AM by daigong »

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
What.. in... the... FUCK?

Quote from: Kamei11 @ s48
ANOTHER UPDATE: ABOUT AKB48 MEET AND GREET

Good or Bad news, depending how you take it. This comes from the Cosplay.com board, the poster is actually the Manager for ticketed events, I guess alot of people complained it costs too much...

Quick announcement regarding AKB48 Meet & Greet:

The AKB48 Meet & Greet tickets are FREE. However, there are only 32 available. In order to prevent an attendee riot (or at least minimize the probability), here is the procedure for obtaining a ticket:

Next to the Ticketing booth will be a table manned by AX Ticketing staff. There is a shoebox with 500 raffle tickets inside, 32 of them will be marked. You are only allowed to draw one ticket each, and we will mark your badge as identification. If you draw a marked raffle ticket, you will receive a ticket to the AKB48 Meet & Greet. Attendees with an AX2010 badge may participate, Main Events ticket purchase is NOT required.

Please note, the AKB48 Meet & Greet takes place at 6:00 PM on June 30 (Day 0), so we will start the raffle from the moment registration opens at 3:00 PM.

I guess never believe it until you hit the booth, but supposedly this was posted by BrianY so it's all but official.

All I really have to say on it is that I'm glad I came with this meet and greet as a "maybe" in my head. I'll try to keep my whining to a minimum but I expect nothing short of the worst from anything related to this con. But, no matter. I came for a concert, and I'll get to see them at a panel. Still, this is just as bad as them yanking away then bringing back shuttle passes for attendees and no clarification on the premier stuff. Thank you Anime Expo for getting AKB48 this year. Seeing my #1 group here, I'm glad I don't have to come again.  :twothumbs

This is fucking stupid. Most likely, the winners will be regular con goer weeaboos who don't know or care about the group. I'm sure that'll make the girls feel AWESOME. So much for my "mayuge bo~n" to Aamin.

Moving along to better news...

I've arrived in LA and am at the hotel. Just grabbed some Subway. Let the fun begin tomorrow! :) Oh, and I saw melon pan at Famima. I will be getting some in honor of the wish-she-was-here babe Matsui Rena. :lol:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:41:04 AM by Datalanche »

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
That is rough. What kind of con fucks people over like that..

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
^Japan expo in Paris? Same kind of deal. On the second day they handed out a very limited number of tickets.

Aw well, have a blast everybody!

Offline reina's eyes

• Banzai Penis
  • ecchi
  • Member+
lol Yuko's already there

Looks like marina del rey, not far from the airport, just outside the cheesecake factory.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
Day report gets. Just FYI, I did not stalk the airport gates or see the girls in any way, so if that's all you want, you'll have to wait! :D

Day 0 of the con is they day pre-registered people can get their badges and stuff. My friend and I woke up at about 6:15AM to make sure we were prepped and ready, and ready we were. Sunscreened, umbrellas in hand, and handheld entertainment galore. :lol: Before heading off to the convention, we walked halfway there then back when we realized the Famima store we used last year was closed. :bleed eyes: Luckily there is one right next to the hotel. We got a whole bunch of cookies and Hi-chew and baos and other stuff. I also got the coveted melon pan in honor of Matsui Rena. :) The verdict? oishii!!! :twothumbs We made our way to the convention center and were actually allowed into the building this time. We crossed the whole center and the place was a ghost town. There was almost nothing set up and no people there. We eventually found the line. It was well over 150 people but not too big. We sat down at about 8:30AM and proceeded to wait for six and a half hours. I heard rumors that the people up front had been there since midnight. Day 0 was a bit of a mess last year, but I'm very happy to give props where they are due, and they are due here. The line was handled VERY well by AX staff. When there were issues, staff was there to get us in the right spot. When the line started to loop, extra staff came out to help sort things out and make sure people didn't get out of order. Also, the line was under an awning, so no sunburn (even though I was covered in sunscreen XD )and they were able to keep three or four loops of the line in some kind of shade. I was impressed by the line management. Good job, Anime Expo. :) We played with DS's (funny people in pictochat) and jammed out to AKB, SKE, and other random jpop and kpop in line during the time, eating some food along the way. It was as fun as sitting on your rear on concrete for six and a half hours could be. :)  Registration started on time and the line moved quite quickly. Again, great job AX!

We then went to ticketing which was just across the hall in the same area. They were trying to sort out the premier fan situation at the last second, and we learned later that the tickets that were supposed to be pre-printed weren't printed, and they were discussing what to do and trying to get them all printed with only one printer to work with. The line didn't move for over and hour and a half. What they ended up doing was letting everyone in the premier line go first, then the regular attendees. It worked... decently. There really weren't a lot of them there to collect tickets. Woohoo! The seats we got are decent. I looked online and found a diagram. Our seats are center and not too many rows back. Honestly, that's just perfect for me. I don't mind not being dead front, I was just worried about being next to one of the walls, so this is INSANELY awesome! We finally got out of there and had some dinner and now we're back at the hotel. w00t!

Also, the AKB48 meet and greet event was indeed a total raffle. No tickets were sold. They had a counter right next to the ticketing booths. You presented your badge, got a stamp on it, and then got to draw from a box. I did not win, nor did anyone else around me. I'm not going to bother ranting about it. It is what it is and I don't really blame anyone for it since it was AKB management's choice, but this system was REALLY bad. In the two hours I was there and watching I saw two or three people win, and when I drew only three people had one so far. I look forward to reading how it ended up playing out. There were a ton of AKB fans camping the area, approaching anyone who won with an offer to buy their ticket for an more than decent amount of money. Honestly I found it to be very sad. Random people winning while more than a majority of the fans got nothing. Oh well, that's what their management wanted to do. Best of luck to them, I'll just have to give the girls my best wishes in their little cards I got for them.

And finally, I uhhh.. dunno if I should write this, but apologies, I gotta. :P To the group up at front allowing people from their ... organization to cut regardless of when they showed up, shame on you. It's one thing to hold the line for one or two people, but a possible couple dozen? Seriously? I didn't get there early enough to see how many were there from the start, and I didn't see if someone told staff of their antics, but I saw them scan the line twice for their members and bring them back to the front with them. Sorry, that's just not right and irritates me. There's plenty of people there to see AKB48, Nakajima Megumi and May'N, SOPHIA, or any of the other artists and talent coming to the convention and they are just as deserving of their place in line as you. The nerve and gluttonous nature to think that you are the ONLY AKB48 fans in the universe is vile. This is not a whine, just a rant. I'm more than happy with my ticket because I earned it, and I didn't screw anyone behind me to get it.

Tomorrow is the concert and first autograph session. Let's see how it goes. At this point I'm not hopeful to a major extent on getting one, but I will be trying. :) I just wonder if they will sign our own items or give us all a stationary like they've done before. Hmmm...

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
sorry for the post..I'm at the Mayfair right now(because it has internet :D and I'm tired..too bad the slurpee I'm drinking isn't helping me)

OK..here goes.

Got to the expo around 12:15. Actually got a chance to hang out with some Stage 48 people(PLEASE if I'm offending anybody, let me know) and went to the front of the line. We talked for a good 2.5 hours before the doors open to get badges.

The worst part was getting tickets. Thanks to their stupidity, the AX people got the tickets mixed with regular and premier guests. It took a FRICKING HOUR AND A HALF to get the damn tickets. However, what compensated was trying to win the raffle for the meet and greet. After four tries, I was unsuccessful, but no bother.

Went to the JW Marriott to hang out and caught glimpses of the girls, even stalked Akimoto from three floors up :D

Now, HERE'S the best parts so far. After almost an hour, the girls came by and even a cameraman was filming the girls, they passed by at LEAST 5 feet in front of me. I went outside as the girls left and I was being filmed for the cameras! :w00t: A few minutes later, the girls were waiting for the crosslight to let them walk, I began to walk toward the girls and stopped. I didn't want to do anything to freak them out XD

However, about an hour or so later as I went on a Slurpee run, I saw the girls coming back on the same walkway they left earlier. That was my chance...

I took some snapshots of the girls before they walked away, they even waved at me before they left. One of the girls had their own camera as well and took shots. Also, I forgot to tell you, one of the members of SDN48 was there as well(sadly forgot her name).

Seeing them in front of me twice comletely made me whole year. Thank goodness I took off from work to pull this off. Those memories are staying with me permanently, even if I don't get an autograph from them. That one moment just turned me into an AKB fan for sure! :)

That's my report so far, going back to the Mariott to sleep(and get up around 6-7 AM for early line for Mano). Hope you guys enjoyed this as much as I have reliving it.

I know Jab would have been proud of me :)

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
^and THAT my friend is the power of positivity.
Similar to Karma think good thoughts and good things happen. Thanks for keeping us that can't be there  updated.
Life is one time.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
live update! Lol.
Akb just walked the red carpet. Got waves and called out to a bunch of them. Sasshi was like, "Sasshi? Oh! Sasshi!" lol.

at the op ceremony now.

edit: akb just intro themselves at op
itano: hi my name is tomomi itano, my birthday is tomorrow!
miyazawa: my name is sae miyazawa! Eeeeeeeeeeetoooo... Watashi 19sai  da ke..? :lol:

they left early to prepare for the concert later
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:00:13 PM by boykun »

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
Quick post, heading back to AX soon.

We skipped the red carpet because it was just too early and I bet there were a cluster of people there already. Went to opening ceremonies and got second row, just right of front and center. As we were waiting, I'm talking to my friend and suddenly my jaw drops and my heart sank down to my nuts. AKB48 walked right across the pit to get to where they needed to go. We started waving at them and Yuko spotted us and waved back with a smile. Rie also spotted us and had a HUGE smile on her face. Acchan also gave us a slightly nervous wave while Tomochin was next to her and looked at us like we were some science experiment. It was cute. :lol: The rest were clung together and didn't react much bu I also saw Moeno check us out. They were no more than ten feet away from us. Too awesome.

They were really cute introducing themselves. Sasshi looks VERY different than what I was expecting. They're all really fit looking and hawt. Maeda Ami has VERY poofy cheeks. :lol:

Anyway, more later. Gotta run. This trip is EPIIIIIIIC.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
I think you were right behind us. tenkei and I were up in the pit area with the rest of the press people.

Chillaxin in the press room right now. About to hit the exhibit hall for random filming. Hopefully we'll run into some of them.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
OOH BABY I LIKE IT RAW!!!!

GJ boyten!!! So fucking proud.

Atta boy ckd!! Stalking at its finest. Awesome Eyesexing dem Girls Data!

Jab is smiling down at all of us. JPHiPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! :jphip:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
a few mobile uploads from boykun and tenkei via their facebook:

ACCHAN!! OBILIR!! SAYAKA GODDESS!!

"whee takamina"

AKBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!

Offline reina's eyes

• Banzai Penis
  • ecchi
  • Member+
missed all the cool close up stuff but arriving just after noon got reg and concert ticket with virtually no wait. got orch p 406.

avoiding the con and sitting at starbucks near nokia wondering when we can get in. :)

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
update:

Concert just ended. I'm back at press room recharging :lol:
The show was pretty damn baller. Sayaka MCd a lot, she is friggen sexy :drool: They did about 12 songs, 3 encore.

Here's the "set list" I didnt know all the songs obviously :lol:

If someone can clarify. Please do.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
ballers!

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
Before I begin, I'll help ya with the setlist.

RIVER
Aitakatta
Iiwake Maybe
(MC)
Kuroi Tenshi
Seifuku Resistance
BIRD
Heart gata virus
Blue Rose
(MC)
Boku no Taiyou
BINGO!
Oogoe Diamond
Sakura no Shiori

Encore
Namida Surprise
Pony Tail to Shu Shu
Hikoukigumo

Now onto my review.

I can't really describe today. It was amazing, surreal, stunning? Anyone who knows me knows that I am not one to use these words. I'm not one to get swept up emotionally into this incredibly fun little hobby.

Today, it was different.

I wrote about what happened at opening ceremonies. Seeing them by surprise was pretty awesome. I wish I could clarify it, write out every last detail, but in reality it was what it was. They walked by, I waved, they waved back. I guess the excitement was all in the feeling of the moment. It was nice to get some semi-personal acknowledgment from them. I just hope Acchan didn't think we were ignoring her. She was hard to see in the middle behind Tomochin and we did wave at all of them. I love you too Acchan. :lol: But anyway, it was just a terrific, unexpected, AWESOME moment. Yuko and Rie are already awesome girls but they easily gained about 14 billion awesome points there.

The rest of the opening ceremonies were very routine. It was AWESOME to see May'N as I'm a huge huge fan of Macross Frontier. Nakajima Megumi was not there sadly. Was also cool to see Kenji Kamiyama, the director of another beloved anime of mine, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Also, Nabeshin is so funny.

After the opening ceremonies, I went back to eat some lunch. I had a burger(lol I'm so cultural in the big city :lol: ) and my friend had some kabob and we got some bubble tea for the walk back to AX. We then went to the remainder of the May'N panel. I arrived a bit later than I wanted and was unable to get a question in. I really didn't have one, I just wanted to tell her how much I love Macross and that I was so in love with Macross Frontier, and how thrilled I was to see top talent like her and Megumi used for the franchise. Her panel was running long. And mostly, it was stupid questions like "Say this in Sheryl's voice!" I left because my friend wanted to go to a Nabeshin panel and I'm very glad we did. This guy is a total hoot. He was so hilarious and engaging to the audience. I've seen bits and piece of Excel Saga and enjoyed what I saw of Nerima Daikon Brothers. I'll definitely be getting into these shows and more after seeing this awesome guy.

After his panel ended, I walked around the Exhibit Hall to look for an AKB booth which turned out to not exist. :( Looks like I might be mailing my cards for them to Japan at this rate. Anyway, the hall was as it usually is on Day 1: Otaku City and crowded to the brink.  We skimmed all the halls. I saw a Sailor Mercury wall scroll that I really wanted until I saw it was 100 dollars. :lol: Sailor Moon is awesome, stop laughing. Anyway, we wedged our way around the manner-less people making a mess of the walkways and got out. We checked in our stuff at the bag check and proceeded to the concert. We were in row K, just a smidge to the right of a dead center view of the stage. The view was excellent. We weren't dead close but we were able to easily make out who was who. The concert started about 30 minutes "late", but when it started, everyone went into overdrive. RIVER was an awesome start. The crowd got way into it and it was just an amazing scene to be seeing AKB48 live. Aitakatta was also terrific. The song that got me into AKB48 done right in front of me? Shit yeah! I was also happy about it because I know the hand movements for this song since I've seen it done so many times. I fail at wotagei. :lol:

The first MC was fun. It was awesome to shout their names out. Sayaka also did an absolutely terrific job of running the English MC's. I wish I could write more but the details are escaping me right now. Really, all they did was introduce themselves. It was cute to see some of them struggle but have fun with it. :)

Then, the units came. Nothing short of a brilliant selection as far as my taste went. When Acchan, Akicha, and Reina came out in those Kuroi Tenshi outfits, I said "OHHH MYYYY GOOOOOOOD". Stunning to see. I was mesmerized by it to be honest. I tried really hard to get Akicha's attention and towards the end, I got it. Total fanboy moment. :lol: Awesome. Then, as if my mind wasn't blown enough, Moeno, Erena, and Tomochin come out in the Seifuku Resistance outfits. My friend flipped out a bit because she loves K6 as do I, and all I could say was "OHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD." Seeing this live... I have no words. I saw it and I can't describe it. It's awesome. Great dancing, a catchy song, it has everything and seeing it live only affirmed that twenty times over. Moeno really is a terrific performer, and Tomochin and Erepyon are no slouches either. Also, Erena's new hair is super cute. I love it and it works well for that song too. BIRD was also amazing. Sasshi looks so different in person. Her face has more of a.. mature look to it? Maybe she's just ultra tired. :lol: In any case, this song was also cool to see. Takamina is so awesome. Heart Gata Virus was cool. Finally, some Ami action. I tried to get her to notice me but didn't have a lot of luck. She's really great, I can see why they are pushing her.  :heart: Kojiharu and Mocchi are insanely hot chicks. I was really digging this one. Up next was no other than Blue Rose. Seeing this live was UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE. I tried to keep an eye on everyone, but I was STUCK on Sae. SHE. WAS. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. HOT. ........... HOT!!! Sexiness aside, this was great to see. Team K 2nd Stage was my first AKB48 DVD purchase, so it really meant a lot. I did watch the others too some. They were all great. Sayaka was really into it. The mic stand kick was present and executed perfectly. :thumbup

They then did another MC which was pretty funny. They were saying where they wanted to go in LA. Sayaka wanted to go to the beach. Miichan wanted to go to Disneyland. Someone said they wanted to go to Universal Studios. They then started imitating characters and we had to guess what the hell they were doing. Miichan imitated Pooh... badly. :rofl: Sae did Jaws and "ate" Sayaka. It was fun to see those two glomp each other. :fap That was so funny. Sayaka then did a really weird roar. People yelled out "Uhhhh, Godzilla?" Eventually, she said, "Yes yes, dinosaur... ehhh tou, no no no Jurassic Park!" Probably the funnest MC I've seen.

After that, they did Boku no Taiyou and an English version of BINGO!. I was so into BINGO! I didn't realize it was in English until a bit into it. :lol: It's one of my top songs, so seeing it here was amazing, English or not. They then did Oogoe Diamond which is fun. I knew a lot of the wotagei to that. :) Then, they did Sakura no Shiori which was just surreal. I was singing along with it. I love that song.

After that, it was encore call time. I've read that gideon123 of stage48 was the one to start it. They came out and did Namida Surprise which was a terrific performance. I'll get to it more at the end. Fun song for sure. After that, they did Pony Tail to Shu Shu which was a lot of fun. Everyone was VERY into it. And finally, they did their last song of the night, Hikoukigumo. Again, the whole audience was way into it and they did a terrific job all the way until the last second. We waved our goodbyes and headed out. I heard some people stayed for a second encore but it did not occur. I didn't expect it to. The rental times for the Nokia Theater are quit strict and they were already 7 minutes over their time when the show ended.

So, in summary, this concert couldn't have been better. The late start was kinda irritating but looking back on it, I think that was meant to be there.  Anyway, I see now why AKB48 has hit #1. Why they attract so many fans. Why they're a huge hit. Whey they are going nowhere but up in recent years. Obviously, I already loved them but now I see the catch of seeing them from Japan's perspective. The show they put on is nothing short of exemplary. From start to finish they are on fire. I've never seen anything like it. I can't really put a lot of it into words, but I am so thrilled I got to see this. It was worth whatever amount of money I end up spending on this adventure, and worth any amount of time it takes to recoup the funds. It was nothing short of incredible, amazing, cho sugoi, however you want to word it, it was the best thing I've ever seen.

To top it all off, I said I had one more thing I had to say about Namida Surprise. I enjoy this song but when it played today, towards the end I did get emotional. Not like baww baww crying or anything, but I just felt moved that all of this awesomness happened by fate, luck, scheduling, whatever... it all happened on my birthday. I don't think it gets any more awesome than that. :thumbup Thanks AKB48 and thanks Anime Expo. I'm really enjoying this trip.

I'm going to cut off here because I am dead tired. The only other thing to write about is the autograph session which is not much of a story. I didn't get in. Not much of anyone did. Started late and ended on time. I'd be surprised if 25 people got in. I was bummed to see more cutting by the same people. All I have to say on that is that I'm a big believe in karma, so best of luck to them. Anyway, that's all I have for you right now. I had to drink two Ramune's, orange juice, and some water to bring you this review. :lol: Later.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Cry Cry