JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Alone

Author Topic: The Lost Thread (ABC) - Season 6 Discussion  (Read 54015 times)

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Lost Thread (ABC) - Season 6 Discussion
« Reply #340 on: May 24, 2010, 05:49:25 AM »
spoilers.

it was emotional, but... wtf? ending was... it was a nice reveal but still... i guess the creators were right on the money when they said the ending would leave more questions...

maybe someone can help me, what was the point of the island?  and why did they show it was sunk in the beginning of season 6?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:37:43 AM by MochaNutz »
word.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #341 on: May 24, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
It was sunk in the beginning of 6 because that happened as a result of detonating the bomb in 1970s.  Flight 815 would pass over the island in 2006/2007, since the island sunk/was destroyed before it, they passed safely over the island.  This alternate timeline was created, instead of an instant do over.  But then, we all learned the true meaning of the alternate timeline.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #342 on: May 24, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »
Spoilers.

but the bomb didn't sink the island, nor did the island ever sink... since the sideways isn't real.

I think i figured it out though.
I'm guessing all these differences are just clues to tell you the sideways wasn't real, and to help them "let go".

I wish they explained why Aaron was so important
word.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #343 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »
I felt satisfied after that ending, and I realise I'm probably in the minority as I say it (lol the internet). I keep trying to explain to my mother that the island wasn't purgatory and they weren't dead all this time.

I guess your enjoyment of the finale all stemmed on what your expectations of the series as a whole should have been. Should it have been a focus on the mysteries of the island or on the characters? I think it's no surprise that the whole series has focused on the characters. It would have been quite difficult to explain a realistic reasoning on how a smoke monster exists and to have everyone satisfied with it.

Although there's just so much I want to discuss, like what it all means, how are these events possible etc I don't feel like I should discuss the whole finale right now as there's more informed people out there who can draw reasonable conclusions better than I ever could. Like this guy. I am curious as to hear what other people thought of it though.

At the end of it all, I left the show feeling very satisfied. Yes there's questions that weren't explained, Walt, Michael etc. but there's still time. Maybe things can be explained in DVD commentaries or conventions, or maybe not ever explained. In all the series was one big journey. The island was the one constant in the show. It showed the plane crash after the credits with footprints in the sand. It indicates that even though the people who arrived on the island have come and gone, the remains of the crash are still there. It's the end of an era. The characters played their part and added to the mythology of the island and now they are gone. There can be future inhabitants of the island who may wonder why a plane crash was there the same way there was a mystery surrounding the Dharma barracks. Make me wonder about my own life, and the others around me. The earth still goes on, but we do not, just another step in time.

The finale brought together all those conclusions that the people who cared about the characters had hoped for. Jin and Sun, Sawyer and Juliet, Charlie and Claire. I make no apologies for getting emotional at seeing these characters finally reaching their conclusions with each other. The writers dropped so many ambiguous hints and left things just opened ended enough to allow for people of different faiths (or none at all) to draw their own conclusions and have them line up enough with the story to matter on a personal level.

I'd say credit is due. Lost is still, haters be damned, 90% better than most other TV or movies right now.

And I can't believe I only now realised that Jack's father's name was Christian Shepherd.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:13:05 PM by Tuffty »

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #344 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »
I think leaving some questions are good.  It keeps people talking and sharing ideas.  Kind of like which is better the movie or book question;  whereas the movie shows you an image, the book lets the reader create the picture.  And in terms of the creative writers, you would want your audience to keep talking about your body of work.

Jack asks his father at the funeral home the question the audience wants to know, "Are we all dead?"  His father gives the complete answer "We all die sometime."

It was interesting to see Ben find some sense of redemption, being the tragic character he was.  I guess he wanted to stay behind to help Alex.  It was also something to think about as Desmond told Hurley that it wasn't Ana Lucia's time to "know".  Maybe if I have $300 to spare, I'll buy the blu ray box set.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #345 on: May 25, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »
^ Same goes to Eloise I think. She wanted to stay and live her life, false as it was, with Daniel, something she didn't experience in her real life. Ben didn't go because he probably thought that he didn't fit in with the group. That even though he got Locke's forgiveness and that he spent time on the island with Hurley, that he felt he had too many sins to atone for. Or maybe he wanted to live out his life with Danielle and Alex and didn't want to lose her a 2nd time. But then, would Alex not remember all that happened if Ben was around? Same with Danielle? I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:19:07 AM by Tuffty »

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2010, 07:03:58 AM »

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #347 on: May 29, 2010, 09:29:37 PM »
Jimmy Kimmel's unnecessary censorship LOST edition.

http://www.todaysbigthing.com/2010/05/24

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #348 on: June 01, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
MILES DIDN'T DIE!!! WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I BAWLED MY EYES OUT D:

LOST :heart:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline jaysonnj

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #349 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »
I know there are a few Lost fans on here so I thought I'd share this.

Here in New York there was an exhibit of props used on the show. Yesterday I had the chance to check it out. Here are the photos I took of all that was on display.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #350 on: June 06, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
Oh my gawd that is too cool!! :D Wish I coulda gone!
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #351 on: June 06, 2010, 12:21:25 PM »
Wow, I wish I would have known about that. Totally would stolen me the Dharma van :cokecat:

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »
Just got around to watch the last two eps and man!!!
Some idiot thought it funny toswitch the episodes around so I ended up watching the last one first, and I didn't realise it, since Lost always does the timeline jumping so I thought it had to be this way  :banghead:
But it was very touching, I cried through the whole episode XD

But it's good it has finally come to an end.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #353 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:29 AM »
So I'm way late to the Lost bandwagon but a friend at work finally convinced me to borrow his blue ray collection and WOW THIS SHOW IS AMAZING!!  :shocked: So gripping.

I'm on season 3 now. My favorite line:

Ben: I've spent my entire life here John, you've been here 80 days. How is it you think you know this island better than I do?
John: Because your sitting in the wheelchair and I'm not.

So good.  :bow:

JPHiP Radio (29/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Alone