JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 8otto - China

Author Topic: Nodame Cantabile  (Read 11447 times)

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:45:36 AM »
http://wwwz.fujitv.co.jp/nodame/index.html

How's about that manga-inspired drama? Starring everyone's favourite on-screen musician, Ueno Juri. :D

Synopsis
Megumi Noda, or "Nodame," is a piano student at Momogaoka College of Music. Although she is an extremely talented pianist who can play by ear, she can't read music. She also hates to take a bath or clean her room. For her daily meals, she usually grabs something out of her friend's lunchbox.

Nodame soon falls in love with Momogaoka's top student, Shinichi Chiaki. Born into a musical family, he plays the piano and violin brilliantly. Although his major is piano, he has secret ambitions to become a conductor.

Based on the big hit comic book by Tomoko Ninomiya, this is the romantic comedy of two completely different personalities.

Cast
# Ueno Juri as Noda Megumi aka Nodame
# Tamaki Hiroshi as Chiaki Shinichi
# Eita as Mine Ryutaro
# Uehara Misa as Tagaya Saiko
# Mizukawa Asami as Miki Kiyora
# Koide Keisuke as Okuyama Masumi
# Endo Yuuya as Ookouchi Mamoru
# Saeko as Saku Sakura

Now, on to some views on the first ep. I'd never read the manga, so I have no idea what it's all about. Starts off cool enough, with shots of an orchestra. At first I thought it was not going to be to my liking (I find orchestras too high-class for me, lol), but as the episode went on I realized that this wasn't about orchestras or piano. This was about music. Yeah, it was.

It was really cool to see how Chiaki's mindset changed as he played with Nodame more. The kicker came at the end of the ep, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, because from the looks of it it's gonna be a trip. It's a really feel-good drama, with great characters. Although you get only a glimpse of the supporting characters in the first ep. Plus, it has Saeko! So that is major win. Just..check it out

Offline ky_khor

• 高橋隊軍曹
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:10:59 PM »
this is my "must watch" of the season.

short hair Juri with her ability to play wateva song after only listen for 1 time.
try to image a girl (Juri) has a very bad hygene habit, she's so dirty the guy need to tie her up and give her a shower XD
long hair Otsuka Ai Jr. ---> Saeko with cello.

english
http://www.fujitv.co.jp/en/program/new_prog/d_nodamecantabile.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 04:22:15 PM by ky_khor »

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 11:43:33 PM »
Juri is all I need! \o/

Yay, subs finally out. I've been waiting.

Offline joeboygo

• ecchi
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 01:09:05 AM »
This looks like the drama for me this season as well. I'm a sucker for romantic comedies, and the musical setting is a huge bonus. There's plenty of female  eye candy, including Mayuko Iwasa in what appears to be a minor role (what a waste).

But for this show, the entire season would have been a total loss for me. I had been hoping that it wouldn't suck, and after watching the first episode, I'm a bit relieved. It's still too early to assume they won't screw it up somehow, but the premier gives many reasons to be optimistic.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 05:22:47 AM »
After watching the first episode, I can say.. she's such a slob XD but so adorable. And Mayuko was a surprise, I hope she gets more screen time.
Man, the cast is great. Both leads play their parts really well. Tamaki is totally different, lol. I was very impressed. Many times I doubted that it was really him.
Takenaka Naoto was also a surprise. He's fucking hilarious. :lol:

This drama is quite the winner.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:12:34 AM by boykun »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 08:07:25 AM »
How'd I miss this?

/me goes to dl

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 08:13:57 AM »
^ Same here :)

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:18:10 PM »
Whoa, didn't notice the thread for this.

I've only watched the first episode so far but it looks really promising. :lol: Ueno Juri for the win.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »
This looks like its going to be a winner for this season for me. XD Haven't read the manga though, although now I want to after watching just two episodes. XD Chiaki :heart: and Eita with crazy blond hair rocking out on a violin... oh yeah... XD

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
I've been a fan of the manga for a while now, and I must say that this drama captures the feel of the manga perfectly.  Every character has a unique and distinctive personality, there are no cookie cutter characters.  I was surprised at the depths the producers went to create distinctive playing styles for nodame and mine as well as unique arrangements for many of the pieces in the series.  All the music is performed by real music students, and all of the cast had to learn how to play their instruments, just like in Swing Girls.  I imagine most of the cast will only have to play simple parts during the orchestra scenes while for the more complex moments (like when Mine performs his jury in ep. 2) they'll use clever camera tricks so that a real musician can play the part for the acter.  Still, I was particularly impressed to learn that Ueno Juri actually plays all of Nodame's pieces herself and that she had played classical piano up until high school.  I doubt most viewers will notice the level of effort they put into the music, but they really created some unique phrasing and arrangements for some very famous pieces.  I'm looking forward to the release of the soundtrack.  This drama is a sure-hit this season, and if things continue in the same manner as they have in the first two episodes, this drama will surely surpass classics from last season like Nobuta and Hana Yori Dango.  Nodame and Stresseman are my favorite characters so far, they both have very unique speaking mannerisms and flamboyant personalities.  I have a soft-spot for the fake gaijin accent that Takenaka Naoto is so famous for, I love immitating it around japanese people for instant laughs.  I imagine most of what I've just said went over most people's heads, but I'm sure those that understand will agree.  Ueno Juri <3333333333333

Offline cRaZY MiKi

• *Fangirl Mode*
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 09:28:37 AM »
omg its so hilarious..
im addiced!!!

Offline joeboygo

• ecchi
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 02:00:39 AM »
Episode 3 is out. It looks like S-oke is going to go head-to-head against A-oke. How could Stresseman just dump his "family" like that? Can Chiaki make them sound good? And when is Nodame gonna put on the mascot suit? This is shaping up into one of those classic underdog sagas. I know it's formulaic, but it never gets old for me.

I would really really love it if somebody who knows a thing or two about conducting an orchestra would show off a bit here and teach us the finer points of the art. Are the actors doing a good job waving that stick around?

Offline ky_khor

• 高橋隊軍曹
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »
Quote from: joeboygo;225988
Are the actors doing a good job waving that stick around?

they're clearly out when come to piano, violin scene(not the "hands only" camera trick). but still better than crappy chinese drama/movie which dun even feel like "cheating".

no idea about conducting. but they look OK for a tv show.

Offline yggg

Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:45 AM »
Streesemann's conducting is rather ok, Chiaki sort of waves it too vigorously.. :O

Offline joeboygo

• ecchi
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 06:58:40 AM »
Nice blog yggg.

Stresseman is the more experienced conductor, so he is supposed to look better  I guess. And your sis is right. Ueno Juri does not look like she smells bad. But in the manga, Nodame doesn't look stinky either. The way she's drawn makes her look clean. Actually, Saeko did a better job of looking grubby and sweaty in episode 3; I could almost smell her BO.

Anyway, the series is good enough for me to stop reading the manga temporarily so I don't spoil it for myself. I will read each volume after it is covered by the show.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:35:13 AM »
I just watched ep.2 and I have to say this looks like it's going to be one of my favorites. I'm tempted to watch ep. 3 without subs, but I did that with ep.1 and it really wasn't as funny watching it barely understanding anything, and I ended up dling the subbed one(since I delete episodes after I watch them to make space) too. But it has Saeko in a bigger role! :/

Offline ew0923

• ecchi
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 08:20:25 PM »
I've always loved the manga (well, upto the point that they left for europe anyway) and I'm absolutely loving the drama so far, it's amazing that they actually manage to capture that general whackiness and both Tamaki and Ueno are doing a much better job than I expected.

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »
Man episode 2 was great. Nodame is so cute it makes me laugh. The violin performance was pretty cool. I'm tempted to watch episode 3, too. Its all about Saeko. :o

Offline joeboygo

• ecchi
Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
What's this I hear that Koide Keisuke, who plays Masumi, and Saeko are in a relationship? Has anybody else heard about this?

Offline yggg

Nodame Cantabile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 01:10:31 AM »
yes they are. they met in the show Oishii Puroposu (Delicious Proposal) starring Hasekawa Kyoko. But that was also the time when Koide and Saeko each had a PB released.. so probably some part publicity?

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 8otto - China