JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tommy Heavenly6 - Pray

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 340205 times)

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #920 on: July 08, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »
The Brewers made a trade with the Indians for pitcher CC Sabathia. This helps them tremendously. You have to wonder how CC will do now that he has to hit and run the bases.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #921 on: July 08, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
Didn't CC hit that tape-measure shot in Dodger Stadium a week or so ago?  Him and King Felix hit the most unlikely dingers in interleague play...

Is there another big name trade on the horizon before the July 31 deadline?  Sure makes things less interesting now that Sabathia has been dealt so quickly.  I feel bad for Cleveland fans.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #922 on: July 09, 2008, 02:50:16 AM »
The Cubbies answer back!  Big trade with the Athletics.

Cubs get: Rich Harden, Chad Gaudin
A's get: Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Matt Murton, Josh Donaldson

Hope Harden can stay healthy for the rest of the year.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2008, 11:15:18 PM »
Mariners release Richie Sexson, ending that particular nightmare.

I feel sorry for Mariners fans -- they deserved a whole lot better in '08.  Free Ichiro!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Blog THIS, fucker!
« Reply #924 on: July 17, 2008, 03:47:50 AM »

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #925 on: July 23, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
The Cubbies answer back!  Big trade with the Athletics.

Cubs get: Rich Harden, Chad Gaudin
A's get: Sean Gallagher, Eric Patterson, Matt Murton, Josh Donaldson
So far this has been a good trade for the Cubs. Now they just need Soriano back.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #926 on: July 23, 2008, 05:17:05 PM »
I'm digging this race in the N.L. Central.  Brewers thumping the Cards (GOOD for La Russa!) and catching up on Cubbies.  Harden had a tough loss against the Unit (291 career wins and counting).

I can't believe Sidney Ponson is starting (and winning) with the Yanks.

And is anyone else upset that Barry Bonds isn't with a MLB club now?  I sure am.  I want to see him play again, the feelings and "morals" of sportswriters be damned!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #927 on: July 24, 2008, 06:17:17 PM »
I should postwhore at least once a day here...

Anyone watch the "ESPY awards" program?  I heard that in some inspirational category, Jon Lester lost out to the womans softball player who was carried around the bases.

Huh?  Cancer survivor versus...  being carried around the bases?  I gotta get the exact name of whatever category the two were vying for.  What kinda shit is that?

Carried around the bases...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #928 on: July 25, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »
Random thoughts:

CC four (?!) straight complete games for the Brewers?!  If this gets Milwaukee a winning round in the playoffs then all power to them.  You can only save up for the future so much before you gotta spend on something!

Jorge Posada on the 15-day DL...  No surgery for now -- season-ending knife work, that is.  How do Yankee fans feel about the four-year deal now?  Yeah he was being "rewarded" for past service but, ouch.  I don't think he'd be of much value at first base (baseball is full of first basemen who can bash the ball).  Can he fix his shoulder to the point of 60-70 percent of what it was?  How good a throwing arm does a catcher need in the big leagues these days?  Maybe a good one; SB percentages seem to be higher than in the 70s and 80s, at least for the league leaders.

Greg Maddux won #350 ages ago (May?) and hasn't won since.  Time to leave San Diego, no matter how good a pitchers park Petco is!  Shitty run support, shitty bullpen, worst team of a shitty division.  Free Maddux!

Speaking of hall-of-fame pitchers...  Randy Johnson won #291 this week.  Is 300 on the horizon?  Can he last into 2009?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #929 on: July 26, 2008, 03:47:20 AM »
Yanks-Sox this weekend at Fenway.  Is the hype dying down?  You don't hear nothing about Cubs-Cardinals anymore or even Dodgers-Giants, a rivalry that used to be much, MUCH more fierce in both NY and Cali.

Yanks trade for Xavier Nady, whose OBA is in the .380s.  Jeez, just sign BARRY BONDS (prorated for the major league minimum) already and you'll have an OBA .450 or higher!

Anyone see Ryan Braun's game-winning shot against the Cards yesterday?  Two-run shot, top of the 9th.  He knew it immediately and totally pimped his trot, something that offended Buck Showalter on ESPN.  I kinda like it, myself...

Alyssa Milano (DOB: 19 December 1972, don't ask how/why I remember) said she's done with baseball players, saying that they're immature or something.  It's been suggested by plenty people online that the hex was cast on a lot of players she dated, including Carl Pavano and Barry Zito.  She's also been linked with Brad Penny, who ain't doing so hot this season (is he on the DL?).

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #930 on: July 28, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Sunday is Family Day for me so I don't watch much TV or spend a lotta time surfing the net for fun stuff.  So I totally missed yesterday's Baseball Hall of Fame induction.

Here are the two living inductees: pitcher Goose Gossage and manager Dick Williams.  Gossage shoulda been in years ago but sportswriters (strange animals entrusted with this responsibility for generations) have a difficult time coming to a super consensus on things.  Bert Blyleven and Ron Santo probably belong in the Hall too but baseball scribes will never be progressive/alternative thinkers of talent and history.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #931 on: July 28, 2008, 05:44:05 PM »
I thought the mention of Kei Igawa's demise at Bronx Banter a bit engaging:

After Carl Pavano, is it safe to say that Kei Igawa is the most fiscally irresponsible signing in Yankees’ history?

Brutal.  If/when Igawa returns to Japan I wonder which team in NPB gives him a second chance?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #932 on: July 28, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Interesting trivia bit this weekend:

Athletics reliever Brad Ziegler recorded six outs to set a major league record with 27 scoreless innings to begin his career. The 28-year-old right-hander, who began the season in the minors before being promoted to Oakland on May 30, gave up two singles in two innings against Texas but was otherwise flawless. Ziegler broke the previous mark of 25 innings set by Philadelphia Phillies right-hander George McQuillan in 1907. Ziegler's scoreless streak also is the third-longest by an Oakland reliever.

I LOVE it when ancient records like this get broken by today's players.  They weren't ALL gods back in the days of sepia-toned photographs, when blacks were banned from competition and admired superstars were named "Christy."

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #933 on: July 28, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Dig this exchange in Friday's chat at Baseball Prospectus:

Joel (GA): Is Andruw Jones in Dodger blue in the running for "worst contract of all time" or is Barry Zito still head honcho?

Joe Sheehan: I'm pretty sure Mike Hampton is the leader in the clubhouse, and will be for some time.

Offline Kamesan

• Member+
« Reply #934 on: July 30, 2008, 08:07:49 AM »
The Angels acquired Mark Teixeira from the Braves. Good trade from them. They already have the pitching but they needed another bat.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #935 on: July 30, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »
Hmm...  well Kotchman is certainly a CHEAPER option at first base for Atlanta.  He certainly doesn't bring much OBP or SLG to the position.  Dunno who the "prospect" is that the Angels gave up. 

Looks like a really good deal for the Angels who could use a big bat in the postseason.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #936 on: July 31, 2008, 12:08:05 AM »
Gotta love the trade deadline!

ESPN's "trade deadline blog" reported:

Posted by Buster Olney
With less than 24 hours before the trade deadline, the Red Sox are engaged in serious conversations to trade Manny Ramirez to the Florida Marlins, as well as other teams. If the Red Sox make a deal with the Marlins, it is likely they would kick in money to offset Ramirez's salary, and they would look for three young players in return -- perhaps outfielder Jeremy Hermida or outfielder Josh Willingham, plus pitchers.

DA~AMN!!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #937 on: July 31, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »

Offline soshitiffanytangyi

« Reply #938 on: July 31, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »
I really love baseball^^ Big Big Mets Fan

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #939 on: July 31, 2008, 04:12:55 AM »
I really love baseball^^ Big Big Mets Fan

Your Metropolitans SHOULD be in the hunt until the end.  Delgado has his homer stroke back, just like he's back in the Skydome a decade ago.  David Wright is only one of baseball's greatest players and Carlos Beltran is one of baseball's most underappreciated.  There are question marks in the rotation (which Oliver Perez will show up and will Pedro ever be PEDRO again?) and bullpen (everybody except for Wagner).  But Johan has done the job, no matter what his W-L mark is.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Tommy Heavenly6 - Pray