JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - TOKYO GIRL

Author Topic: This Isn't What My High School Life Is Supposed To Be! Ch. 5 (11-3-2018)  (Read 10771 times)

Offline tigers parade

Re: This Isn't What My High School Life Is Supposed To Be! Ch.4 [Nogizaka46 fic]
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
A/N: Yikes, I almost forgot about this for a bit. Sorry for the delay guys!

Chapter 4

Shiraishi POV

When the bell signaling the end of the school day finally rang, I shot up out of my seat and promptly banged my knee on the table. Immediately dropping to the ground, I clutched my now bruised leg and hissed in pain.

“Shiraishi-san, are you alright?” A concerned pair of brown orbs stared down at me.

“I’m fine,” I grimaced. “Just got a bit too excited, that’s all.”

“Excited?” Nishino raised her eyebrows. “Is something happening today?”

“Ah, no.” I blushed. “Nothing in particular, but I’m just happy you’ll be there to watch practice today.” Real smooth, Mai.

She laughed. “That’s nothing to hurt yourself over, though. Be careful, okay?”

I nodded sheepishly. “Shall we go?”

Nishino POV

I smiled inwardly at Shiraishi-san. She’s cute when she’s shy, too.

“Shiraishi-san,” I called. “Do you mind if I take these papers to the staff room first?”

“Sure, no problem. I’ll come with you.”

She suddenly leaned in towards me, taking me by surprise. Swiftly, she took the stack of papers out of my arms, smirking at me as she did so.

“Looked like you were struggling a bit with them,” She grinned. “Forgive me, but I think I’ve got a bit more muscle than you.”

Once again, I found myself blushing at the sudden act of chivalry. This time, however, a tinge of nervousness settled in. Almost like I was shy around her.

“A-are you sure you can carry all of them?”

Shiraishi-san nodded nonchalantly. “Yep, no problem.” Winking, she added, “Anything for you!”

I watched as she turned and started in the direction of the staff room, whistling cheerfully. Taking a deep breath to calm myself down, I glanced at my reflection in the window. My face was a dark shade of pink.

Shiraishi POV

Anything for you! I cringed internally at my own cheesy line. And a wink? Seriously? I needed a filter for my actions. I’d known the girl for two days, yet I was already trying to hit on Nishino.

I attempted to mask my embarrassment by whistling and walking, only noticing that Nishino was still rooted to her spot after I had walked a few feet.

“Is something wrong?” I frowned. “Ah, did I make you uncomfortable with that just now? Sorry about that.”

“No, no, don’t worry about it.” She frantically shook her head. “Just a bit distracted.”

That sounded suspicious. Smiling apologetically, I waved it off. “Nah, that was my bad. I won’t do it again.”

“No it’s fine.” Nishino smiled at me and I felt my heart skip a couple beats. “If anything, I liked it. It was very sweet of you.”

“O-oh, I see.” I was secretly ecstatic. Mental note to act cool around her as much as possible. “We should really get going though, or we’ll be late to practice.”

She nodded, jogging a bit to catch up to me. “Let’s go.”

We walked in silence, which resulted in my desperate attempt to start a conversation. “So, what are these handouts?”

“Hm, I think they’re for science class, but I’m not too sure.” She shrugged. “The teacher didn’t tell me much.”

I wrinkled my nose in disgust. “Ugh, science. That class is so hard.”

“Really? I think it’s alright.”

“Haha, you must be really smart, then, Nishino-san.”

“Not at all,” She shook her head. “My grades are pretty average.”

“Still better than me,” I laughed drily. “I always have Nanamin tutor me before tests. Ah, we’re here.” I slid the door to the staff room open and greeted the teachers inside. Our science teacher waved us over.

“Thanks for bringing these over,” he smiled. “Must have been tiring, since there were so many.”

“Not at all.” Nishino and I bowed politely and made our way out of the room.

Once out of the room, I stretched my arms out above my head. “Time for practice. You got all your manga stuff?”

“Yeah, it’s all in here.” She patted here school bag affectionately. “Sketchbook and drawing pencils.”

“Alright, let’s go!” I felt the anticipation rise in me. Time to show off what I was capable of. I snuck a glance at my classmate beside me. Hopefully, I’d win a part of her over today.

Nishino POV

As we approached the softball field, a figure of a girl came into view. She stood in front of the dugout, conversing with the coach, but she didn’t have on a softball uniform like the rest of the team. Instead, she was a wearing a simple track suit, royal purple in color. Upon closer inspection, she hadn’t been at the practice yesterday, either.

Shiraishi-san, however, seemed to recognize the girl. As soon as she had spotted the girl in the track suit, she waved her hand excitedly and called out.

“Maimai! Long time no see!” Shiraishi-san ran towards the girl, who was smiling and waving back.

They must be close friends. I quietly followed Shiraishi-san over to the dugout.

“Ah, Maimai, this is Nishino Nanase-san. She’s here to observe us for a softball manga reference.”

I nodded politely. “Nice to meet you.”

The girl smiled back. She seemed very mature and level-headed, but her pale skin suggested that she wasn’t very athletic. “Nice to meet you, too, Nishino-san. My name is Fukagawa Mai, the manager of the softball team.”

“Maimai just came back from Shizuoka, so you didn’t see her yesterday,” Shiraishi-san explained.

“Ah, I see. I’ll be in your care then.”

“Same here, I hope we can get along.”

“Alright girls!” The coach clapped her hands. “Let’s get to work. Shiraishi, hurry up and change.”

“Yes ma’am!” Shiraishi-san saluted her comically and ran off.

I made my way into the dug out, where Fukagawa-san was opening a cardboard box. “Fukagawa-san, is there anything I can help with?”

“Ah, don’t you have to work on your manga?”

“It’s fine,” I smiled. “It’s just a bit of sketching.”

“Hm, then can you help me sort these mitts by size?” She gestured at the ground. “You can just separate them into three piles.”

“No problem.” I knelt down into the dust and got to work.

Shiraishi POV

I glanced over towards the dugout and frowned. This time, Maimai had enlisted Nishino’s help, and she was preoccupied with sorting mitts rather than observing. I felt my excitement dissipate. Even though I was trying so hard to show off my best, Nishino wasn’t even looking my way. So much for that plan.

Resigned, I shifted my focus back to Nanamin, who was up at the plate. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Wakatsuki tense up in apprehension, afraid that Nanamin would hit the ball towards Nishino again. Jealously, I mirrored her, even though the fence in front of the dugout would block any incoming softballs.

I sighed and shook my head. Gotta focus. I narrowed my eyes at Nanamin and took a few steps back. Just cause Nishino wasn’t watching didn’t mean I could slack off. I had a responsibility to the team as well.

From the pitcher’s mound, Hori cranked her arm back and let it swing forward. The ball flew straight towards Nanamin, who leaned forward and swung the bat. A resounding crack filled the air, and I saw the ball zoom past me and into left field. Luckily, it landed squarely in the mitt of Itou Junna, who whirled towards me and threw the ball. Catching it, I turned towards first base and hurled the softball at Wakatsuki, who grabbed it out of the air and tagged Nakada Kana with it. A double out for Nanamin and Kana-chan. A fine play between Junna, Wakatsuki, and me.

The coach shouted out an affirming remark as Wakatsuki tossed the ball back to Hori. Returning to my spot as shortstop, I smiled at Junna, who in turn smiled back shyly at me. She was a bit flushed, probably because it was so hot out. I wiped the sweat off my brow and snuck another peek at the dugout. The two girls inside had finished sorting mitts and were now deep in conversation; Nishino’s drawing pad set aside, untouched.

Nishino POV

“Woah, that was so cool!” I had just witnessed a feat of teamwork between Shiraishi-san, Wakatsuki-san, and another girl further out into the field.

Fukagawa-san smiled proudly. “Isn’t it? Maiyan and Wakatsuki and the pride of our team, you know!”

“Haha, I can definitely see that,” I nodded my head in agreement. “Who was the girl who caught the ball?”

“Oh," Fukagawa turned her head to look at the girl. “That’s Itou Junna-chan. She’s one of Maiyan’s biggest fans, so I imagine that she’s quite happy over this play.”

“Ah, so she wants to show off her good side?”

“Yep, kids are so cute these days.” She laughed and turned to look at me. “If you want to spot cool poses, I’d recommend paying close attention, because they move fast.”

“Oh, right.” I picked up my drawing pad, which lay next to me on the bench. “Thanks for the reminder.”

“No problem,” Fukagawa-san smiled. “Do you mind if I see what you have so far?”

“Sure.” I flipped the pad open to the pages I had worked on yesterday. I hadn’t drawn in any faces, but the positions and hair styles easily gave away who my models were: Shiraishi-san and Wakatsuki-san. I wondered if Fukagawa-san would notice.

Fortunately, she didn’t seem to see and simply marveled over the drawings. “You’re quite skilled, aren’t you?”

I smiled modestly, relieved. “Not at all.”

Fukagawa POV

I watched as Nishino-san flipped through the pages of her drawing pad. She lingered for an extra second on a drawing of a girl crouching over, focused intently in front of her. It looked like Maiyan. I looked up at the girl sitting next to me, whose gaze was focused on the shortstop—Shiraishi Mai.

No way. I smiled to myself. It looks like Maiyan’s got a new admirer. I took another look at the drawing. It was impressively detailed for a rough sketch. I smiled inwardly again, deciding to keep my newfound discovery to myself.

“You’re quite skilled, aren’t you?” Young love was so cute.

Offline Janix123

• I'm a stranger and a newbie!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Person who likes AKB48 Group!!!
Re: This Isn't What My High School Life Is Supposed To Be! Ch. 4 [Nogizaka46 fic]
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 11:17:41 PM »
Wooooooo Author-san. It was a good thing you didn't forget about this fic. I was waiting for an update. Yehey

I like how Maiyan was being so smooth. Good job Maiyan. Maiyan being a gentleman in front of Naachan makes me imagine things. Hababahahaaba. Probably, Naachan should be developing feelings for Maiyan cuz i ship them.

Thanks a lot author-san
Hehehe. I'm a person who can't help but love AKB48 Group. I'm a silent reader please treat me well. I'm the kind of person who gets crazy over my favorite pairings

:wigglypanda: :onioncheer: :onioncheer: :onionwhip: :onionwhip: :cool1: :cool1: :onionwhip: :onionwhip: :onioncheer: :onioncheer:  :wigglypanda:

Offline tigers parade

Re: This Isn't What My High School Life Is Supposed To Be! Ch. 5 (11-3-2018)
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 05:42:15 AM »
AN: Wow, it has been a while. Sorry for not updating in so long. I felt inspired (and saddened) by Nanase's recent graduation annoucement. Best of luck to her, she will always have my support. Enjoy chapter 5!

Chapter 5

Shiraishi POV

“Good work everyone!” The coach raised her arm, signaling at the team to gather around her. “We’ve got a game next week, so make sure you take care of yourselves.”

“Yes, ma’am,” the team chorused. Our first game of the season was quickly approaching and you could feel the excited nervousness of the team.

As we started to head back to the locker room, I swung by the dugout, where Maimai and Nishino were waiting.

“Good job today,” Maimai smiled at me. “We saw that play between you, Waka, and Junna-chan.” She handed me a towel and a bottle of water.

“Thanks.” I wiped my face with the towel and grinned cheekily. “Cool, wasn’t I?”

Maimai laughed and turned to Nishino. “Maiyan sure is full of herself, isn’t she?”

“I thought you were cool,” Nishino laughed in return. I blushed at her compliment.

“Don’t praise her too much,” Maimai warned jokingly. “It’ll go to her head.” She turned to hand water to Nanamin, who had just entered the dugout.

“Wanna head to the locker room?” I grabbed my bag and looked at Nishino, who nodded back at me. We started walking towards the building. “Did you draw anything today?”

“Yeah, I made quite a few more sketches.” Nishino gestured at her sketch pad.

“Would you mind if I looked at your work sometime?” I wondered if she had sketched me. My heart skipped at the thought of her drawing me, watching me intently with her soft brown eyes as she made pencil strokes on paper.

“Sure,” she smiled shyly. “I’d love to show you.” God, this girl was adorable.

Just as we approached, the door to the locker room swung open, revealing Wakatsuki at the threshold.

“Hello, Nishino-san.” I mentally cursed Wakatsuki for interrupting the two of us. “What did you think of practice today?”

“You were so cool when you tagged that girl out,” Nishino smiled. My heart sank. I wanted to be the only one she thought cool. Not Wakatsuki.

“If you want, do you want to come watch our game next week?” Wakatsuki flashed a confident smile at Nishino, and I mentally cursed her again. I should have invited her first.

“I’d love to.” Nishino smiled back.

“Great. Let’s exchange numbers so I can contact you with more information.”

“Good idea.” I watched bitterly as the two of them exchanged phone numbers. Nishino was blushing a little. I couldn’t stand watching them anymore, so I turned and went to my locker, blocking out all thoughts of Nishino and Wakatsuki acting all lovey-dovey with each other.

“You alright?” Nanamin approached me from behind. “How’s your leg?”

“It’s fine,” I sighed. “I was just worried about something else.” Nanamin raised an eyebrow.

“If you wanna talk, I’m here for you.”

“Thanks. I’ll bring it up later.” She nodded and turned around, walking to where Maimai was waiting. I watched the two of them leave and briefly scanned the locker room. Both Wakatsuki and Nishino had disappeared. Only a few members of the team were left. I sighed again and picked up my stuff. I wanted to go home and take a nap.

Nishino POV

I frowned, looking around the room. While I was talking with Wakatsuki-senpai, Shiraishi-san had already left. A sinking feeling in my heart revealed my disappointment—I was hoping we could walk home together again. 

“I’m leaving now, Wakatsuki-senpai,” I called out.

She waved at me. “Get home safely.”

I stepped out of the room. It was almost dark out, and getting a little chilly. I rubbed my arms to get the blood flowing and started walking home.

While waiting to cross the street, I looked up and saw a familiar figure: Shiraishi-san. Walking with another girl. I frowned, feeling my heart tighten in my chest. Brushing off the unpleasant feeling, I squinted, trying to see the two girls a little more clearly.

They were laughing and smiling, obviously very at ease with each other. If Shiraishi-san was beautiful, the girl next to her was equally pretty. She was clinging onto Shiraishi-san’s arm, occasionally resting her head on the other’s shoulder. My heart tightened a bit more. For some reason, seeing some beautiful girl hold onto Shiraishi-san made me slightly angry.

I shook my head, trying to clear it. The two figures were already no bigger than my hand, quickly fading away into the night. The light turned green, and I crossed the street in the opposite direction that they went.

It took all my willpower not to take another glance at Shiraishi-san and her friend. Instead, I brushed off the uncomfortable feeling that had been building up in my chest and walked faster. I wanted to go home and sleep.

Shiraishi POV

“Do you understand, Maiyan?” Reika whined. “She doesn’t even register my existence half the time.”

I rolled my eyes. “I know, I know. Your beloved Waka is busy flirting with other girls.”

“Don’t say that!” Reika slapped my arm. “You already know how much I like her.”

“Does she even know that you like her?” I raised my eyebrows skeptically.

“Well, no.” Reika frowned at the admission. “Should I confess?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Just go for it. You guys have known each other for ages, it’ll be fine.” If Reika confessed, maybe Wakatsuki would go out with her and I could sweep Nishino off her feet.

“It’s not that easy,” Reika complained. “She’s so popular. There are definitely other girls out there.”

“Then you should confess sooner. The longer you wait, the higher the possibility of some girl coming and taking her away.”

Reika remained silent, mulling over my words. I patted her back reassuringly.

“If you need a wingman, I’ll help you out.”

“Really? You’ll help me?”

I nodded. “Yeah.” The sooner Wakatsuki was out of the picture, the sooner I could go after Nishino.

“You’re the best, Maiyan!” Reika hugged me from the side, nearly knocking me over.

“Yeah, yeah,” I laughed. “Iku-chan will probably help too.”

Reika smiled brightly and skipped ahead, humming to herself. Watching her, I felt slightly better. Maybe I did have a chance with Nishino after all.

I went to sleep that night with the resolve to ask Nishino for her phone number tomorrow. I couldn’t let Wakatsuki get too far ahead of me. That beautiful, shy girl would be mine.

Nishino POV

I sat apprehensively at my desk, continually glancing at the desk next to me every few minutes. Would Shiraishi-san be late again today? I couldn’t stop thinking about the girl next to her from last night. I wanted to ask about the girl, but what would Shiraishi-san think? Would that be too clingy of me? We had only just become friends a few days ago.

“What’s on your mind?” Ikoma-chan slipped into her seat.

“Nothing,” I shook my head. “I’m just a little tired.”

“Are you sure?” She leaned forward and put her forehead against mine. I blushed immediately. “You don’t seem to have a fever. Your face is a little flushed though. Maybe you should go to the nurse’s office.”

“It’s fine.” I quickly shook my head, trying to cool down. “I’m not sick or anything.”

“Okay,” Ikoma-chan frowned. “Let me know if you feel sick. I’ll take you to the nurse.”

I nodded. The classroom door slid open noisily, revealing Shiraishi-san, laughing with one of our classmates, Ikuta-san. My eyes followed her as she made her way to her desk.

“Come on, Iku-chan,” she pleaded. “Help me out!” Curious, I put my head down on my desk, trying to listen in on their conversation.

“I’ll consider it if you buy me some food,” Ikuta-san responded. “Preferably sweets.”

“Fine,” Shiraishi-san huffed. “I’ll take out for food sometime. Ikuta-san nodded, satisfied with herself and took her seat. I wondered what they were discussing.

“Good morning, Nishino-san.” I looked up and found Shiraishi-san smiling at me.

“Good morning,” I responded shyly.

“I’m glad you got home safe last night,” she continued. “Sorry I couldn’t walk you home. I had to meet someone.” Once again, I remembered the girl from last night. I shoved the thought of her out of my mind.

I shook my head. “It’s okay, don’t worry about it.”

“Do you want to walk home together today? The softball team doesn’t have practice after school.” She looked at me expectantly.

“Sure, I’d love to.” I wondered if she could tell that I was secretly ecstatic.

“Great!” She flashed a radiant smile. “We can get something to eat on the way home.”

Before I could respond, the teacher entered, calling our attention. I shifted my focus to the front, waiting for the day’s classes to start.

“Nishino-san,” I heard a whisper from besides me. I turned to see Shiraishi-san grinning at me. “I’m looking forward to after school.”

I nodded. “Me too,” I whispered back. She winked in response and turned to look at the teacher.

I stared dumbly at her side profile, feeling my face become hot and flushed. Shiraishi-san affected my emotions even more than Wakatsuki-senpai. I had never met anyone who made me feel this way before. Just a simple wink and my heart was thumping loudly. I snuck another glance at the girl besides me, feeling more curious about her than ever.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - TOKYO GIRL