JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 537484 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1960 on: June 26, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
CONGRATS TO THE HOCKEY HALL OF FAME's CLASS OF 2012!!!

Hockey Hall of Fame Announces 2012 Inductees

TORONTO (June 26, 2012) — Bill Hay, Chairman and CEO of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Jim Gregory and Pat Quinn, Co-Chairmen of the Hockey Hall of Fame's Selection Committee, announced today Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin have been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Player Category. The vote took place today at the annual meeting of the Selection Committee in Toronto.

"The Hockey Hall of Fame is proud to welcome these four hockey legends as Honoured Members," said Jim Gregory. "Their contributions to the game of hockey are well documented and their election to the Hockey Hall of Fame is richly deserved."

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind12prolog.shtml

:cheers

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1961 on: June 27, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
Bure bout damn time! Sakic NO BRAINER. Oates. THE FUCK TOOK SO LONG?!? 6th all time in assists, good luck coaching Ovie XD Mats Sundin?! First Ballot. WHAT A FUCKIN JOKE TORONTO MEDIA BIAS FUCK YOU. Just like I KNEW HE'D BE IN ASAP.  :rofl: Like Gilmour. Really? Even Lindros was the most dominant when he was there. And Roenick was an all around better player. no Brendan Shanahan? 3 Cups? How about Kevin Lowe and his 6 rings? 7 All-Star Appearances?

BUT THAT IS ALL UP FOR DEBATE NEXT YEAR LOL

I heard that NY Isles was gonna trade their entire draft picks for this year for #2 LMFAO and Columbus rejected em..... for once Charles Wang threw shit out there that made sense. An entire roster to develop vs a WHO KNOWS D-Man? How Scott Howson still has a job means he got naked pics of someone.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1962 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
THE WORST KEPT SECRET SINCE WELL HUNG DOORS MARKET CAMPAIGN!!!

Ralph Kreguer to be named Oilers Head Coach tmr. Heard on radio. Seems good, but weird stringing Renney along and then stringing this all along thinking we'd get someone from the outside. As long as Bucky is here lol

:lol: Yakupov went nuts on twitter apparently last nite: http://deadspin.com/5921351/top-nhl-draft-pick-nail-yakupovs-wild-night-on-twitter

Nail Yakupov, the Oilers' first overall pick, has drawn comparisons to Pavel Bure. He will anchor one of the best young lines in hockey next season. But he is also 18 years old, and still learning English, and still getting used to this social media thing, and put together, you get nights like last night.

Over the course of a five-hour Twitter binge, Yakupov opened up on everything from his virginity to Subway sandwiches to Piggy Poop Balls. It's a Dadaist masterpiece of broken English, multiple emoticons, and one last night of freedom before someone from the Oilers inevitably has a talk with him about how to use Twitter.

PIMP!! Can't wait till he hits up Whyte.

Free agent frenzy should be interesting: Shane Doan announced he be a free agent with Parise, Schultz, and the Nash/Luonogo Trade BRING IT !! BEFORE CBA lol

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1963 on: July 01, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
HOLYSHIT!! OILERS ACTUALLY WON A FREE AGENT SWEEPSTAKES!!1  Justin Schultz signs. Cheap too.

Ironic this Ducks pick was from Dustin Penner fleecing back when Lowe was GM. I dunno even know what's good about the kid but everyone excitied lol. The prized Free Agent and hasn't even played an NHL game. I dhought D-men were tough to develop. Now get Smyttie and Laraque resigned. Get Parise, Weber, Suter onboard too XD

Me was at Development Camp this morning. Pix vid to cum.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1964 on: July 01, 2012, 01:09:23 PM »
Went to the development camp at Millennium place - PLACE WAS PACKED! Doing all kinda weird drills like kicking the puck with your foot, one leg skating, Yakupov was super fast!!!

You can see #50 Samun Perhonen from JYP and Frans Tuohimaa in the Jokerit pads no doubt

And again, like last year saw Craig Simpson :lol: his kid was all up in there.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1965 on: July 03, 2012, 07:08:14 AM »
Holy Jokinen, Batman! Jets got themselves one of the best rental players evar! We got all the waffles you want!  Oh, and Alex Ponikarovsky too, lol.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #1966 on: July 04, 2012, 07:55:23 AM »
This one's for team Suomi!! Winnipeggers love Finnish DANSE!

http://fuldans.se/?v=xapeifcwtg

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1967 on: July 05, 2012, 03:24:35 AM »
Well, looks like Minnesota wants to be known as the big "winners" of this summers free agent sweepstakes by "putting their money where their mouth is" and signing this summer's 2 top UFAs.

Wild land top forward, defenseman in Parise, Suter
Wednesday, 07.04.2012 / 5:12 PM / NHL Free Agency 2012
By Dan Rosen and Corey Masisak - NHL.com Staff Writers

Zach Parise and Ryan Suter spent nearly 72 hours weighing lucrative offers from several NHL teams after the free agent market opened Sunday. For the Minnesota Wild, the payoff was worth the wait.

Minnesota landed the top two players in the free agent Class of 2012, agreeing to 13-year contracts with both Parise and Suter on Wednesday morning -- making it a Fourth of July celebration for the ages in the State of Hockey and a monumental day in the history of the young franchise.

Both deals are for 13 years and $98 million, which locks each player up through the 2024-25 season. Each carries a salary-cap hit of $7.538 million per season.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637188

In other news involving a big name UFA player...
Jaromir Jagr signs with Dallas
Tuesday, 07.03.2012 / 8:30 PM / NHL Free Agency 2012
By John Kreiser - NHL.com Columnist

After a busy three days of revamping the Dallas Stars, GM Joe Nieuwendyk is ready for some time off.

"I think I'm going to the lake next week and turn my phone off. I'm pretty much done," Nieuwendyk said with a laugh Tuesday after signing 40-year-old Jaromir Jagr to a one-year, $4.55 million contract -- his third major move in as many days to remodel a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2008.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637171

On the local front, the Jets have managed to secure a new backup goalie in former first round draft pick Al Montoya. Kind of humourously ironic that he agreed to sign with us considering one of our guys gave him a concussion that cost him the second half of this past season. :P

Jets sign goaltender Al Montoya
Wednesday, 07.04.2012 / 5:28 PM / NHL Free Agency 2012
NHL.com

The Winnipeg Jets agreed to terms with goaltender Al Montoya on Wednesday. The team did not announce any terms, but ESPN.com reports that it's a one-year deal worth $601,000.

Montoya played in 31 games with the New York Islanders during the 2011-12 season, going 9-11-5 with a 3.11 goals-against average and a save percentage of .893. He missed much of the second half of the season due to a concussion suffered when he was run over by Winnipeg forward Evander Kane in a game in mid-December.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=637238

Speaking of Evander Kane, Chevy's still got to re-sign that bugger.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1968 on: July 13, 2012, 05:19:39 AM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1969 on: August 02, 2012, 02:54:00 AM »
Speaking of Teemu, found this while browsing a local Peg Sheety car forum, posted by someone who's a mechanic, and who happened to meet Teemu through working on the car he was driving at the time:

Quote from: headers @ WinnipegHeights.com forum
I remember back in 94/95, when I was drivn down portage and stopped at a light and beside me in a green Jeep Cherokee was Doan.. and he had some Alanis Morrissette tune cranked! LOL

then there was another time late summer on a sunday night, that I was drivn down portage and recognized a certain reddish Saab Turbo goin the other way, so I flipped around and went after it...  caught up to Teemu and Domi (shotgun) FLYING and I mean flying down Kenaston!
Pulled up along side and had a few laughs at a red light (I worked on Teemu's Saab back then with Birchwood, and Teemu knew me thru that)

I remember we replaced the tires after 2 months.. they were bald!
ALSO remember his first winter here (early november).. I had to go to his home and find out why his SAAB wouldnt start.. when I got there his Saab was on the front street all week...untouched.. it was -30!
We ran an extension cord out to it and he invited me in and I explained what plugging it in does! :)
This was before he was a superstar!!!!!

What a great guy.. so friendly
his addy was 793 Campbell St, just south of Grant ( I can say that now) :)

grey house with the SUV directly in front
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=793+campbell+st+winnipeg&hl=en&ll=49.85476,-97.191925&spn=0.005734,0.009645&sll=49.854751,-97.191925&layer=c&cbp=13,292.03,,0,3.55&cbll=49.85462,-97.191936&hnear=793+Campbell+St,+Winnipeg,+Manitoba+R3N+1C5&t=m&z=17&panoid=iTO-jiGXg4TPQ6i3LQImgw
ORIGINAL POST HERE - http://www.winnipegheights.com/showthread.php?223069-NHL-Winnipeg-Jets&p=3039581&viewfull=1#post3039581

I choose to believe that the guy is not bullshitting through his ass. After all, we Peggers take our Teemu manlove pretty damn seriously.  :thumbsup

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1970 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »
And so the countdown begins...

Bettman says NHL will lock out players if no new CBA deal in place by Sept. 15
By Chris Johnston, THE CANADIAN PRESS August 9, 2012

Thirty-seven days.

That's how much time remains for the NHL and its players' association to bridge a wide gap in collective bargaining negotiations or face another lockout.

Commissioner Gary Bettman made it clear during Thursday's bargaining session in New York that the league is prepared to lock out its players when the current agreement expires Sept. 15.

"I re-confirmed something that the union has been told multiple times over the last nine to 12 months," Bettman told reporters after a two-hour meeting. "Namely, that time is getting short and the owners are not prepared to operate under this collective bargaining agreement for another season, so we need to get to making a deal and doing it soon. And we believe there's ample time for the parties to get together and make a deal and that's what we're going to be working towards."

The clock is ticking.

It makes next week's meetings in Toronto particularly important, with NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr expected to deliver the union's first official proposal on Tuesday. It won't look anything like the one the NHL handed over July 13.

The union found very little, if anything, it liked in that document, which called for a lowering of the players' share in revenue, introduced new contract restrictions and called for an extended entry-level system.

One change the players will seek is a broadening of the revenue- sharing system between teams. Fehr raised that issue Thursday during the talks at NHL headquarters as a way to illustrate why the NHLPA wasn't in favour of the league's proposal.

"We made a presentation directly related to the owners' proposal -- a revenue-sharing system as it would be combined with the player compensation system that they had proposed," said Fehr. "In the course of doing that, (we) indicated to them that for a couple of different reasons it didn't look to us like it was the way to go.

"In particular, the biggest reason was that it seems to us, both overall and on a club-by-club basis, all of the revenue-sharing payments -- both the new ones and the existing ones -- would be paid for by player salary reductions."

That was by design.

Bettman indicated that "fundamental economics" are more of a key element to the negotiations than revenue sharing.

"The fundamental proposal, our initial proposal, relates to the fact that we need to be paying out less in player costs," he said.

The NHL lost its entire 2004-05 season to a lockout and seems to be facing the growing possibility of another one. It would be the third on Bettman's watch.

Fehr has floated the idea of continuing negotiations while players report to training camp if a new deal wasn't in place by Sept. 15.

"Under the law, if an agreement expires, that may give someone the legal ability to go on strike or in this case to impose a lockout," he said. "There's no requirement that they do so and if nobody does anything you (can) continue to work under the old conditions."

However, with the NHL unwilling to do that, negotiations will need to pick up pace. Even though the sides have been meeting regularly since the end of June, very little progress has been made on what they refer to as the "core economic issues" -- how revenues should be divided.

"There's a meaningful gulf there," said Fehr. "I'll leave it at that for now."
© Copyright (c)
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.canada.com/hockey/nhlnews/Bettman+says+will+lock+players+deal+place+Sept/7066942/story.html

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1971 on: September 07, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1972 on: September 14, 2012, 06:48:57 PM »
And so the countdown begins...
As of this post...approximately 36 hours until the current CBA expires and a third NHL lockout begins.
 :banghead:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1973 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:11 AM »
shit Oilers sent 26 Players to the farm. including Nugent Hopkins, Eberle and Schultz. shit is ON. http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641579&navid=DL|EDM|home

NO BRAINER. Smyttie signed. That was the one saving grace all season for me. Leadership of grit on board gets u Cups.

Yakupov can get more reps in the minors but to lose a season you will get the guys like Selanne and Brodeur just waste their last push for a Cup run. OH FUCK Employers don't pay them 57% of the salary. WELL FUCK they ain't named Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin, fucking they your meal ticket and fuckin fans lose out.

The game has gone so fuckin global. LA Kings winning the Cup put em into the next level NBC Sports Channel type worthy. SO it used to OLN or Versus or whaver but to have Snoop Lion rock the 42 million Dollar man Taylor Hall threads? You wanna pull an NFL and just get shit done and not have em lose games. STUPID. FUCK YOU BETTMAN!!! :tama-mad:

JOEY MOSS SAVE US!!

FUCK LETS ALL GO PLAY NHL 13

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1974 on: September 16, 2012, 01:01:49 AM »
^
With just around 6 hours until the lockout begins, it's not surprising to see teams assign players to their AHL affiliates. I'm pretty sure that only players that have signed 2-way contracts (i.e. contracts that specify terms for playing in both the NHL team and it's AHL affiliate) can actually be sent down, so it could be that Tambellini had a feeling that a lockout would happen, and thus deliberately put that clause into the contracts of a lot of the players that he signed within the last couple of seasons. That could explain why so many Oilers got sent down.

Here in Peg Sheety, on the other hand, most of our "main guys" only have one-way contracts, and thus cannot be sent/assigned to play for our AHL affiliate. Our only "main guy" being sent down is Burmistrov, and most of the rest of them would likely have been assigned to the AHL anyway.
Jets assign 13 players to St. John's IceCaps
Saturday, 15.09.2012 / 3:04 PM / News Articles

The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have assigned 13 players to the Jets’ American Hockey League affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps.

The players assigned to St. John’s include Alexander Burmistrov, Chris Carrozzi, Ben Chairot, Patrice Cormier, Jason Gregoire, Carl Klingberg, Julian Melchiori, Eric O’Dell, Will O’Neill, Edward Pasquale, Zach Redmond, Cody Sol and Ivan Telegin.

The Jets have also announced they have assigned Mark Scheifele to the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.
LINK - http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641600

We also still haven't re-signed Kane yet. Offers have been made, but he and his management are being hella-ass slow in responding. He says he wants to stay with the team, but it makes one wonder if he really does or not...or, if he's just holding out for more money.  :doh:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1975 on: September 16, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
It has begun...
A message to our fans
Sunday, 09.16.2012 / 9:00 AM / News

The following message to fans was issued by the National Hockey League on Sunday:

Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams.

Thanks to the conditions fostered by seven seasons under the previous CBA, competitive balance has created arguably the most meaningful regular season in pro sports; a different team has won the Stanley Cup every year; fans and sponsors have agreed the game is at its best, and the League has generated remarkable growth and momentum. While our last CBA negotiation resulted in a seismic change in the League's economic system, and produced corresponding on-ice benefits, our current negotiation is focused on a fairer and more sustainable division of revenues with the Players -- as well as other necessary adjustments consistent with the objectives of the economic system we developed jointly with the NHL Players' Association seven years ago. Those adjustments are attainable through sensible, focused negotiation -- not through rhetoric.

This is a time of year for all attention to be focused on the ice, not on a meeting room. The League, the Clubs and the Players all have a stake in resolving our bargaining issues appropriately and getting the puck dropped as soon as possible. We owe it to each other, to the game and, most of all, to the fans.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=641584

On somewhat of a plus side (at least here locally), Kane's people and the Jets finally came to an agreement on a new contract.

Kane all locked up
Last-minute deal worth $31.5M over six years for 30-goal scorer
By: Tim Campbell

They waited until the absolute last second before an NHL player lockout was imposed Saturday night but left-winger Evander Kane and the Winnipeg Jets joined the flurry of pre-work-stoppage contract signings.

After putting a six-year deal worth about $29 million on the table months ago, the Jets had only a cold shoulder to show for their talks with the Kane camp until the sides agreed to a six-year, $31.5 million contract at the last moment Saturday.

Assuming there is hockey this season, that will keep Kane under contract to the Jets until 2018, when he will be 27.

The cap hit of the deal will be $5.25 million, the team's largest to this point for one player in the season to come.

The deal also bumps the Jets just above the old salary floor of $54.2 million to about $56.9 million.

It is unknown what either the cap or the floor will be on the other side of the lockout.

"I'm really happy we were able to get a deal done," Kane said on a late-night conference call with reporters just minutes before the lockout and roster and transaction freezes went into effect.

"I'm obviously very excited about it and I'm grateful that Winnipeg took that leap of faith and was able to make that kind of commitment.

"It was definitely a very professionally done negotiation. Better late than never. I'm excited about it and I believe the Winnipeg Jets are as well."

The spate of last-minute signings in the NHL this week have opened both the players' and owners' sides to criticism about the hypocrisy of throwing around millions one minute then going into a serious labour dispute the next.

"You can look at it both ways," Kane said. "I think it's more just business as usual and players and owners and GMs working out deals as the rules are right now.

"I'm fortunate to have got a deal done today. It just so happens it's an hour before the lockout. Not too much further to say on that note."

Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said the Jets were no late-comers to this signing.

"I think it's still about managing your budget and managing where things are at within your own organization," he said. "You have financial allocations now and moving forward.

"I can only speak for our team. We have been working on this, irrespective of any deadline. We've been operating as business as usual and we've worked on these negotiations, started with a meeting at the draft with Evander's representatives all the way through.

"The timing ... the work and the foundation has been laid for over two months now."

Kane said he'll have mixed feelings about matters today and acknowledged Winnipeg fans who have been buzzing him this summer on Twitter about the negotiations.

"It's bittersweet," he said. "You want to play hockey but at the same I'm kind of on Cloud 9.

"I'm looking forward to playing in front of the great fans of Winnipeg. They've been tweeting me and letting me know how they feel so it's great to get something done."

Kane, in three NHL seasons, went from 14 goals to 19 and then 30 last year in the team's debut in Winnipeg.

The fourth overall pick of the 2009 draft had four game-winners and 27 assists to go with his 30 goals for the Jets.

"At the age that he's at, we think there's tremendous potential and room for growth," Cheveldayoff said. "We just locked up one of our young players for years to come.

"Lots of players of his age are just breaking into the league."

The Kane deal was the final contract check mark for the Jets, giving them all their roster players under contract heading into the lockout and hopefully the season.

tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/kane-all-locked-up-169939486.html

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1976 on: September 17, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
From a local country radio station here in Peg Sheety:

Winnipeg radio station scores (soon to be) viral Taylor Swift inspired NHL lockout video (watch!)

What do Taylor Swift & her ex and the NHL & its players have in common?  Winnipeg radio station QX104 hopes it's NOT that they'll never, ever, get back together!

My good friend, and morning show host, Samantha Stevens sent me this hilarious spoof video (just posted yesterday, Sept. 16) of Swift's We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together.  The lyrics were re-written by Stevens' morning radio partner, Brody Jackson, Shae and Jonathan Best, to reflect the current collective emotional state of NHL fans as a result of the lockout. 

Lucky for QX104 Canadian singer/songwriter, Vicki Shae (who also happens to be the weekend jock on QX104) was up for the task of singing and starring in the video and the end-product is pretty damned good!  (Take a look below)

Song: Vicki Shae
Director: Brody Jackson
Camera: Sam Karney, Rudy Gauer
Edited By: Rudy Gauer, Sam Karney
Song Producer: Jim Stoeber
Lyrics Written by: Brody Jackson, Vicki Shae, Jonathan Best
http://blog.country.inmusic.ca/2012/09/winnipeg-radio-station-records-taylor-swift-inspired-nhl-lockout-anthem-watch.html
http://www.qx104fm.com/

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1977 on: September 24, 2012, 01:28:26 AM »
One can always count on the internetz for a humorous look at a grim situation.

LULZ @ the big-ass plate of poutine. :lol:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1978 on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:34 PM »
QUINTUPLE POST! :lol:

Seriously though, don't want to get you worried dai, but in case you weren't aware...

Oilers ownership group in Seattle
Monday, 09.24.2012 / 9:31 PM / News
Associated Press

EDMONTON, Alberta (AP) - With plans for a new arena in doubt, the Edmonton Oilers say they are keeping their options open.

Oilers owner Daryl Katz, team president Patrick LaForge and president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe were in Seattle on Monday for meetings about a possible relocation to the city.

The Oilers said in a statement that they still hope to reach a deal with Edmonton on a new arena. But with talks at an impasse and the team's lease at aging Rexall Place set to expire in 2014, the Oilers have started to look elsewhere.

"As the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time," the statement read. "After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers' lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise."

The team added it would not comment on discussions with other potential markets.

The visit by Oilers brass came the same day that the Seattle City Council approved hedge-fund manager Chris Hansen's plan for a $490 million arena that both sides hope will be home to an NBA and NHL team.

Seattle's hockey market is limited to the Western Hockey League's Thunderbirds. The city hasn't had a professional team since the Metropolitans, who won a Stanley Cup in 1917, were disbanded in 1924.

The Oilers and the City of Edmonton had agreed on plans for a proposed $475 million arena that would begin construction early next year.

But the arena and the Oilers' future in Edmonton were thrown into doubt earlier this month when the team told the Edmonton city council it wanted millions of dollars in new concessions from taxpayers.

That prompted Mayor Stephen Mandel to ask Katz to appear before the council in a public session to explain the new demands, but Oilers owner declined.

The original deal for a new 18,400-seat arena in Edmonton was agreed to last October and was to be funded mostly by taxpayers.

Katz has said he wants a public subsidy deal similar to the one given to NHL teams in Winnipeg and Pittsburgh.

Forbes ranks the Oilers in the middle of NHL teams with a value of $212 million.

Katz, who bought the Oilers for $200 million, says he has been losing money every year due mainly to the arena deal. The Oilers, unlike other NHL teams, receive very little non-hockey money such as concession revenues.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=642043

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #1979 on: September 30, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

I miss how this made me feel. Come back NHL  :(

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Ogre You Asshole - Mask