JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Number Girl - Omoide In My Head

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485215 times)

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2060 on: June 24, 2009, 09:39:39 AM »
I recently had to reinstall Windows and now I can't open avi files on virtualdub.

It says "Couldn't locate decompressor for format MPV4.
VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VWF) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

What happened? What am I missing?

eta: All fixed!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:25:41 PM by tamatron »

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2061 on: June 24, 2009, 11:04:32 AM »
ffdshow tryouts has a VfW codec which should be able to decode most mpeg-4 formats. Don't forget to include the VfW part during the install.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2062 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:10 PM »
I'm using Windows Vista:  
1)  there's a couple of special folders in the [NAME] folder, like Saved Games, Links, Favorites, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.  I tried to delete these, but the just return immediately. How can I permanently delete it.

2)  I realize that my laptop can install 2 internal hard drives.  So I want to buy an extra hd, better than my current one.  I current have a 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive.  I want to buy a more faster one, 7200RPM, 250+ GB HD. I am wondering how can I transfer everything on the 1st HD, including OS, programs, settings, etc., to the newer one and make it the primary/master. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:09:15 PM by BigDnm01 »

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2063 on: June 26, 2009, 03:00:44 AM »
Got my new computer parts today.  Put the whole thing together over the course of a few hours, making sure to be extremely careful and thorough about it.  Once it was all said and done, I pressed the power button, everything lights up, and then one second later it all powers back down.  It then keeps repeating this on it's own without me being able to even stop it without unplugging it.

Either I've done something wrong somewhere along the way that I just can't think of, or the power supply/motherboard could be bad.  Gonna take it all apart and put it back together again when I get home from work tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to end up taking it somewhere for them to take a look at since I don't have the spare parts or the diagnostic tools necessary to troubleshoot which part could be bad.

Hopefully when I take it apart and put it back together it will magically come to life, cause I really don't want to take it somewhere and have them find out that one of the parts is bad and then have to send it back for a new one.  What a pain in the ass.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2064 on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:05 AM »
^ Make sure you connected all the additional power supply plugs to the motherboard, video card, etc. Also check to make sure your heatsink/fan is making good contact. Try to locate the reset CMOS jumpers on your motherboard, short them out with a jumper or screwdriver to clear any corrupted CMOS settings. One of those three is usually the cause if the problem is fixable in the first place. Otherwise it might be a bad power supply or motherboard(most likely).

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2065 on: June 26, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
^ Make sure you connected all the additional power supply plugs to the motherboard, video card, etc. Also check to make sure your heatsink/fan is making good contact. Try to locate the reset CMOS jumpers on your motherboard, short them out with a jumper or screwdriver to clear any corrupted CMOS settings. One of those three is usually the cause if the problem is fixable in the first place. Otherwise it might be a bad power supply or motherboard(most likely).

Yeah I've checked and rechecked all the connections 10 times over before I started giving up.  Gonna take it all apart and start from scratch again this evening when I wake up, and hopefully it gets thing straightened out.  In the mean time, I've got a $1500 paper weigh sitting behind me. e_e

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2066 on: June 26, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »
I'm using Windows Vista: 
1)  there's a couple of special folders in the [NAME] folder, like Saved Games, Links, Favorites, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc.  I tried to delete these, but the just return immediately. How can I permanently delete it.
Those are more symbolic links then actual folders, I think you can disable them somewhere in the settings of the start menu?
2)  I realize that my laptop can install 2 internal hard drives.  So I want to buy an extra hd, better than my current one.  I current have a 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive.  I want to buy a more faster one, 7200RPM, 250+ GB HD. I am wondering how can I transfer everything on the 1st HD, including OS, programs, settings, etc., to the newer one and make it the primary/master. 
You can use ghost (or some other diskcopy program) that can do a disk-to-disk copy including changing the size of your primary partition from 160 to 250.
Bart's Boot CD has it a.f.a.i.k.
After you copied the disk, you need to put the 250 in the place of the 160 as the machine will still try to boot from disk 1.

Don't think you will have problems, but check that your new disk is not using a lot more power to run then your current drive, it might give problem during startup.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #2067 on: June 27, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »
Got my new computer parts today.  Put the whole thing together over the course of a few hours, making sure to be extremely careful and thorough about it.  Once it was all said and done, I pressed the power button, everything lights up, and then one second later it all powers back down.  It then keeps repeating this on it's own without me being able to even stop it without unplugging it.

Either I've done something wrong somewhere along the way that I just can't think of, or the power supply/motherboard could be bad.  Gonna take it all apart and put it back together again when I get home from work tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to end up taking it somewhere for them to take a look at since I don't have the spare parts or the diagnostic tools necessary to troubleshoot which part could be bad.

Hopefully when I take it apart and put it back together it will magically come to life, cause I really don't want to take it somewhere and have them find out that one of the parts is bad and then have to send it back for a new one.  What a pain in the ass.

You could try taking all the cards out (graphics card assuming it's not an onboard one, memory cards etc) then try to start it up and see if you get the error beeps.  If you get the beeps saying a card is missing then all is well (so far), then put that one card in and try again and see if you get more beeps... until you've put the last card in.  You'll then maybe find out if it's one of the cards that's at fault.  That's assuming you put it all together correctly.

When I built mine it wouldn't start up and in the end I paid someone to look it over.  I'd done a good job apart from something about one jumper switch that was in the wrong position, but the main problem was the shop that sold me the parts had sold me the wrong memory cards!
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2068 on: June 27, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »

You could try taking all the cards out (graphics card assuming it's not an onboard one, memory cards etc) then try to start it up and see if you get the error beeps.  If you get the beeps saying a card is missing then all is well (so far), then put that one card in and try again and see if you get more beeps... until you've put the last card in.  You'll then maybe find out if it's one of the cards that's at fault.  That's assuming you put it all together correctly.

When I built mine it wouldn't start up and in the end I paid someone to look it over.  I'd done a good job apart from something about one jumper switch that was in the wrong position, but the main problem was the shop that sold me the parts had sold me the wrong memory cards!

It's not any cards, that's for sure.  I've stripped it down to only what it needs to boot up, even if it would do it incompletely since there wasn't a hard drive or video card hooked up, but it's still just shutting off the moment it turns on without any beeps to tell me what's wrong.

I'm going to take the new PSU and put it into my old computer to see if it works.  If it does, then it's probably going to be something with the motherboard, and if it doesn't then I've found what I'll have to send back to Newegg.

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2069 on: June 27, 2009, 11:57:30 PM »
Got my new computer parts today.  Put the whole thing together over the course of a few hours, making sure to be extremely careful and thorough about it.  Once it was all said and done, I pressed the power button, everything lights up, and then one second later it all powers back down.  It then keeps repeating this on it's own without me being able to even stop it without unplugging it.

Either I've done something wrong somewhere along the way that I just can't think of, or the power supply/motherboard could be bad.  Gonna take it all apart and put it back together again when I get home from work tomorrow, but it looks like I may have to end up taking it somewhere for them to take a look at since I don't have the spare parts or the diagnostic tools necessary to troubleshoot which part could be bad.

Hopefully when I take it apart and put it back together it will magically come to life, cause I really don't want to take it somewhere and have them find out that one of the parts is bad and then have to send it back for a new one.  What a pain in the ass.

You could try taking all the cards out (graphics card assuming it's not an onboard one, memory cards etc) then try to start it up and see if you get the error beeps.  If you get the beeps saying a card is missing then all is well (so far), then put that one card in and try again and see if you get more beeps... until you've put the last card in.  You'll then maybe find out if it's one of the cards that's at fault.  That's assuming you put it all together correctly.

When I built mine it wouldn't start up and in the end I paid someone to look it over.  I'd done a good job apart from something about one jumper switch that was in the wrong position, but the main problem was the shop that sold me the parts had sold me the wrong memory cards!

It's not any cards, that's for sure.  I've stripped it down to only what it needs to boot up, even if it would do it incompletely since there wasn't a hard drive or video card hooked up, but it's still just shutting off the moment it turns on without any beeps to tell me what's wrong.

I'm going to take the new PSU and put it into my old computer to see if it works.  If it does, then it's probably going to be something with the motherboard, and if it doesn't then I've found what I'll have to send back to Newegg.
Did you have the motherboard in the case the whole time you tried to make it work? Check that there isnt a standoff in a wrong place causing a shortcircuit. Unplug all the power leads and replug and see if that helps. Try the ram sticks in different memslots if they are in wrong slots or try them one at a time to see if they're not broken. If it still doesnt work, I'm pretty sure something is DOA.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2070 on: June 28, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
I have a HP Pavilion dv9610us laptop.  My cap locks button works, but the blue led lights doesn't turn on at all.  I wanna know why and how should I go about fixing this?  It's not a big problem, but it kinda bugs me.  Hopefully it was accidently disable and I can enable it somehow... 

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2071 on: June 28, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »
I have a HP Pavilion dv9610us laptop.  My cap locks button works, but the blue led lights doesn't turn on at all.  I wanna know why and how should I go about fixing this?  It's not a big problem, but it kinda bugs me.  Hopefully it was accidently disable and I can enable it somehow... 
The only reason I can think of is that the connector is loose, fixing that probably means diving into the machine (you can try the simple route first of removing the keyboard and look for wires that run to the leds)

I currently have a Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N home router.  it's fine, but there are some spots in the house that have little-to-none signal and it's been more irritating now than ever.  I want to expand my network to the far corners of the house, but I dunno how to do that.  I once bought a Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander, but everytime within 2 days, it messes up the signal.  I guess it's not compatible with my N-router. 

btw, I have a WPA2 security on my network. 

I heard about Wireless Access Point (WAP), would that helps expand my current network?  or any other devices?

please keep me inform. 
Your linksys is a WAP, anything that converts wireless into access to your wired network is effectifly a WAP.

You can try and move or turn the extender within a meter to see if it is interference from walls that gives the problems.

You can add a second WAP/router give it the same SID and your laptop should pick the strongest signal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 06:55:48 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2072 on: June 28, 2009, 10:16:22 PM »
^ I do have an extra router laying around, though it's a D-link Wireless G router.  would that work as an extension of my network?  how would I do that?  is there instructions online to set an additional router to my network?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2073 on: June 29, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
^ I do have an extra router laying around, though it's a D-link Wireless G router.  would that work as an extension of my network?  how would I do that?  is there instructions online to set an additional router to my network?

Different manufacturers should not matter.
Settings: give it the same SID and password, but on a different channel.
Either the Linksys or the D-Link site should have detailed instructions.

Your only settings problem might be if your AP is also giving out the IP numbers, then one of them needs to be 'slave' to the other.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 07:35:50 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2074 on: June 29, 2009, 02:43:07 PM »
thanks, I'll check into that.  Thanks for your help.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2075 on: July 01, 2009, 04:33:44 PM »
NEW POST

I have a Nokia N95 8GB for almost 2 years.  There's a free navigation trial for 6 mos or so, but I'd never redeem it,  is it too late to get it now?  Does the time starts when you first purchase the phone or when you first activated it?  I never did, so am I still able to get that free navigation now?  How?
I live in the USA, btw. I tried following the steps explain on the nokiausa website for the free navi, but there's no such options explained like the one on the site:
1. Open Nokia Maps on your device
2. Select Options >Extra Services
3. Select Add Navigation
4. Select Purchase

mine is:
2. Select Options >Extra
there's no add navigation option, just select option > enter license code

I only need the free trial, but I can't even do that. 
I also found the free 7-day navi. trial on europe.nokia.com, but there's no USA option.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:39:04 PM by BigDnm01 »

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #2076 on: July 04, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
How do I get around sites that have streaming videos which can't be played if you're outside the US?

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2077 on: July 04, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »
I usually just use an American Proxy..

Haven't need to do that for awhile, so not really upto date with proxy lists, but try something from this, and you should eventually find one that works.

Firefox

ie

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #2078 on: July 08, 2009, 12:38:09 AM »
NEW POST

I have a Nokia N95 8GB for almost 2 years.  There's a free navigation trial for 6 mos or so, but I'd never redeem it,  is it too late to get it now?  Does the time starts when you first purchase the phone or when you first activated it?  I never did, so am I still able to get that free navigation now?  How?
I live in the USA, btw. I tried following the steps explain on the nokiausa website for the free navi, but there's no such options explained like the one on the site:
2. Select Options >Extra Services
3. Select Add Navigation
4. Select Purchase

mine is:
2. Select Options >Extra
there's no add navigation option, just select option > enter license code

I only need the free trial, but I can't even do that. 
I also found the free 7-day navi. trial on europe.nokia.com, but there's no USA option.
I would think that your best chance to get proper answers would be to contact the company you have your phone with and ask a rep.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2079 on: July 09, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
Just got in the replacement motherboard for my new computer, and.....    it wooooorrrks  :cow: :cow: :cow:

Get to do all the OS installation/drivers/updates for a while before I have to go to work.  The real good times comes tomorrow when I can start gaming on the beast.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Number Girl - Omoide In My Head