JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Rainbow

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 485237 times)

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #2280 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
Not that.  What I want is that when I open a new tab from a link on the current tab, it would open right next to it instead of being at the end.  I guess I should clarify.  I have 8 tabs open.  on the 3rd tab, i open a new tab using a link on that page. I want it to open next to it, the 4th tab instead of the 9th Tab.  IE 7 was like this, so is Firefox (with Tab Mix Plus add-on). 

I know it's very small trivial stuff, but it helps me keep track and I'd did it so much, I'm used to it.  with the new IE8, I get frustrated when it's like that. 
Can I downgrade to IE 7 on Windows 7?

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2281 on: January 30, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
From what I'm reading, the feature used to be in IE 7 called something like "Open new tabs next to current tab", and was removed in IE8 in favor of "Tab Grouping". Just skimming over the newer Tab Grouping feature, it's got some kind of color-coded deal that supposedly helps you figure out which tabs were opened from where.

I haven't tried it out myself, since it's late and I strictly use Chrome, but you might want to check it out.  It might be similar to or exactly what you're looking for.

Edit:
Upon further inspection, this seems to be activated by default.  Eh, you might want to try switching it off?  I dunno.  Even though Microsoft sometimes removes small things like this occasionally, they usually leave in an option to turn it back on at the very least.  When they don't, it feels like they're turning into Apple or something. (i.e. "you can't do it cause we think it's dumb, and you can't have an option to do it either")

Another option is on the "Advanced" tab is labeled "use most recent order when switching tabs with ctrl+tab".

Though it doesn't make your tabs open the way you described, it makes it so that when you ctrl+tab, it goes to your most recently opened ones first.  Not strictly like what you said, but if you change tabs with ctrl+tab, I suppose it kind of emulates it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:25:37 AM by Slack »
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2282 on: January 30, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »
Thanks anyway, I guess it can't be help.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2283 on: January 30, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
Thanks anyway, I guess it can't be help.
I also just tried it in IE8, and when I select 'open link in new tab' it opens next to the current tab and both tabs get the same color coding... if that does not happen on your system maybe something is interfering with the normal workings of IE8? Did you install some toolbars/addons/...?

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2284 on: January 30, 2010, 07:51:33 PM »
the problem isn't when you open the first tab, cause that works right.

The problem is when you open more than one tab from the same window or start opening tabs from one of the tabs you just opened.

With tab grouping on, if they're the same color tab, it's going to make any new tabs you open from that tab on the farthest right of that color group.  I just tried this, and yes, now I'm starting to believe this is remarkably dumb.  I hope I won't have to explain this more in depth cause I don't want to have to use IE more than I need to at this point.

But that's why I don't use IE anymore if I can help it.  I got some horrible drive-by downloaded virus with IE 7 and haven't trusted the thing ever since.  Chrome doesn't have this same tab usability problem, I've found. Plus since Chrome is cleaner, faster, and now has extensions, there's no reason for me to even have IE on my machine except for compatibility issues.

Back to the original problem, I've done some more research into this and haven't been able to find an add-on for IE8 that makes this problem go away.  From what I've found, there have been complaints about this since 2008 and still no resolution or even formal acknowledgement that there is a problem.  Chrome has a good tab system because they focused on it.  Microsoft just color-coded a bunch of stuff and removed old (and potentially useful) features in the new version.  Normally I'd say "eh, sometimes you have to adapt to new things", but this one in particular is pretty dumb.

PS:  Chrome is pretty awesome.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2285 on: January 30, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
Thanks frblckstr1 and Slack for your help.  
To frblckstr1: No I don't believe I did, at least nothing that would affect it.
to Slack:  I see, so I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem, just Microsoft just totally disregard as I see it.  That's why I like IE 7. Though to tell you the truth, I'm more of a firefox brower user myself.  I add-on the Tab mix Plus just so i can have it the way I wanted.  I'd only use IE7/IE8 because of the sites I'd always log on and need to update the page itself, like Hello! Online, JPH!P forums.  I'd check out the sites and particular threads daily and update the particular bookmarks/favorite links to the latest page whenever  i can.  Firefox don't do that.
 If you don't know what I mean, I'll try to explain.  Let say this particular thread.  last time I was on page 113.  Now it's page 115.  I would "add to favorites" and save it at the same folder, it would ask " The name of your favorites already exist.  Do you want to overwrite it?"  I'd say yes.  Now it's overwriting the last saved favorite.  Just how I want it.  FireFox would just add another link with the same link name, it does not overwrite the link but adds another one.  I'd have to manually delete the old one everytime.  

So you see, though it very small trivial things, but it makes me most irritating.  btw, to slack, what is Chrome?  

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:05:13 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2286 on: January 30, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
btw, to slack, what is Chrome? 

Chrome is Google's browser:
http://www.google.com/chrome/

It runs most javascript way faster than firefox, and has a bunch of things that make it really neat.  What got me using it first of all was that it was fast.  Normally you don't think of a browser of being particularly fast, but Chrome is.  It's just really fast, clean and well-thought-out.  A particular specialty of it is the way it handles tabs efficiently with a bunch of little features that work well.  I could go into a whole list of things I like about it, but I think the best endorsement for it is the fact that after I tried it and introduced it to my friends, it's become their main browser for the last year or two.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2287 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:54 AM »
well, I downloaded chrome and am trying it out.  can't say I love it or hate it right now... 
It does feel different from FireFox and IE, but there's not a lot of way around it. sure it's simple and easy to use, and it's very unique and looks very cool.  But it's not for me...
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2288 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
the problem isn't when you open the first tab, cause that works right.

The problem is when you open more than one tab from the same window or start opening tabs from one of the tabs you just opened.

With tab grouping on, if they're the same color tab, it's going to make any new tabs you open from that tab on the farthest right of that color group.  I just tried this, and yes, now I'm starting to believe this is remarkably dumb.  I hope I won't have to explain this more in depth cause I don't want to have to use IE more than I need to at this point.
I see what you mean, but I must say its doing much it like I would want it: the last opened is the fursthest way, meaning if you use ctrl-F4 to close the current tab is will cycle thru them in sequence of when opened.
I have a tendency to use the backspace (or alt-leftarrow) to keep me in the same thread or 'stack' of pages I'm browsing.

About Chrome: tried it,works a bit better on some sites then FF but as I have enough processing power available on my desktop I do not see much difference in speed so I'm sticking to IE8 for now.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2289 on: February 01, 2010, 06:07:44 AM »
thanks for all your help, I'll just move on...

Okay new problem:  This Dell Precision 370, excessive fan noise, the CPU cooling fan, btw.  I dunno what to do. 

P.S. I did ask this question before, I don't remember if I got an answer or not. 

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2290 on: February 01, 2010, 07:58:09 AM »
Yes, you did. Please read back a bit. We did talk about it.  :doh:

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2291 on: February 02, 2010, 02:51:43 AM »
^Okay after searching thru the results.  I did find something relating to that.
-Install Speedfan and try to control the fan speed
-apply some sort of compound/paste that help dissipate heat
-if none works, than replace the CPU cooling fan.

Are these it, or is something missing?  I wonder if there is no way to directly control the speed of the CPU fan from BIOS or comp settings?  FYI, it's a Dell Workstation 370 desktop with BIOS firmware A08.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2292 on: February 02, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
^Okay after searching thru the results.  I did find something relating to that.
-Install Speedfan and try to control the fan speed
-apply some sort of compound/paste that help dissipate heat
-if none works, than replace the CPU cooling fan.

Are these it, or is something missing?  I wonder if there is no way to directly control the speed of the CPU fan from BIOS or comp settings?  FYI, it's a Dell Workstation 370 desktop with BIOS firmware A08.
How about you check the manual of the machine??
(and if you do not have it, search for it on the DELL website?)

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2293 on: February 03, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
Hope someone here can give me some help!

I've pulled out a HDD from an external usb HDD, and dropped it in to my new pc..
That drive is an ATA, and my pc only has SATA connections, so bought an adapter to connect it..

Here's the thing though..
It only shows up about 50% of the times..  :?

When I turn the pc on, between the boot screen and the Windows Welcome screen, sometimes a quick message pops up and the drive will mount.. When the message doesn't pop up, the drive won't show up either..

The drive doesn't show up in the bios either, so I can't change the boot order..

Had a Google, and all I can find are cases when the drive never shows up.. not 時時 like mine..

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2294 on: February 03, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
Hope someone here can give me some help!

I've pulled out a HDD from an external usb HDD, and dropped it in to my new pc..
That drive is an ATA, and my pc only has SATA connections, so bought an adapter to connect it..

Here's the thing though..
It only shows up about 50% of the times..  :?

When I turn the pc on, between the boot screen and the Windows Welcome screen, sometimes a quick message pops up and the drive will mount.. When the message doesn't pop up, the drive won't show up either..

The drive doesn't show up in the bios either, so I can't change the boot order..
Sounds like a timeing problem during initialiation (or maybe the converter is defective)
For the boot order: try changing the sequence of the SATA cables, that might help in moving it after the other drives.
But actually I am surpised you do not at least have one IDE drive connector? I thought all current motherboards came still with one.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2295 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:39 PM »
Hello, Me again.  The one with the Dell 370 fan problem. 

-I bought some thermal compound and apply a light, even layer of it on top of the cpu, where the heat sink made contact.  didn't solved the problem.  The fan still run at very high speed, made alot of fan noise. 
-I tried to switch out the fan with another on a different computer, the problem still exist, so I think it's not the fan, but the BIOS or settings that made it run that way. 
-I installed and run Speedfan, but I don't see the mobo model in it, or at least I dunno what the manufacturer/model is.  I'm don't want to destroy another mobo...

to frblckstr1: I didn't find a manual but a quick reference guide and a user guide, though I doubt there's anything in there to help...
I do believe it's something to do with settings, could also be something physical.  It is a new mobo that I bought to replace the old one.  I dunno if there is some settings that I need for it...
until next time. 

NEW QUESTION:  okay, I want to upgrade my networking from Wireless-N to Wireless-N, Dual Band, Gigabit router.  I look at BestBuy.com (as a reference point), found some nice ones, A Linksys, a NETGEAR and a D-Link.  as the price matches the features, there's a couple of expensive ones and some not as much.  Hoping to get an insight from those experienced ones.  Which would be a good buy?

-WRT610N Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router with 4-Port Ethernet Switch
-DIR-825 D-Link Xtreme N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

there maybe some other great ones so could you recommend some other routers? 
btw, what the comparison between WRT320N and WRT610N, arent they both Wireless-N Dual-Band Gigabit Router?  the WRT320N is alot cheaper...
and what sites would you recommend I buy it from?  being a cheapskate, I hope to buy it at a lesser price, hopefully on some good sellers on ebay.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #2296 on: February 04, 2010, 04:39:15 AM »
hey guys..when i d/l a mp3 of a concert, how do i get to separate the tracks on the mp3? if you ever d/l a concert mp3, you'll know what i'm talking about. it plays the whole concert

Offline tiny

• bananasama
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2297 on: February 04, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
hey guys..when i d/l a mp3 of a concert, how do i get to separate the tracks on the mp3? if you ever d/l a concert mp3, you'll know what i'm talking about. it plays the whole concert
There are many mp3 cutting tools. Google is your friend. This one looks okay: http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2298 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Relating to Wireless Networking...

Does anyone here have a Dual-Band Wireless-N Router of any kind?  I want to ask a question about the software that comes with the product. 

My routers, Linksys WRT150N and WRT160N, both came with a software, I did install and use it for both (not at the same time though, first was 150n, then 160N).  After a while, I rebooted the computer that have the software.  but since I don't need it to configure my router and network, I haven't reinstall it.  I could use ordinary IE or Firefox web browers to access both routers. 

Now with the Dual-Band routers, is the software really necessary or can it be configured/ change settings with just a web browser? 
I want to know before I buy a Dual-Band router in case I need a dedicated computer with the software installed. 
My routers no longer connect to any computer, I just connect it to a cable modem anywhere I can move it and it still work.  I want the same kinda feature and conveniency with a Dual-Band.

please answer soon, thank you. 

oh and I do need a recommendation of a new Dual-band router as well...

UPDATE: Currently Looking at 2 routers, but don't really know which is better to buy...
-NETGEAR - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (BESTBUY: 169.99)(NewEgg: 159.99)
-D-Link - Xtreme N Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router with 4-Port Switch (]BESTBUY:199.99)(NewEgg: 134.99)

which one would you prefer or if you already have experience either or both, what would you have to say?
in dire need...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:22:22 AM by BigDnm01 »

Offline Slack

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #2299 on: February 06, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Actually I just bought a D-link dual band Xtreme N (DIR-825) last week.  It was at fry's for $130, discounted to $123.50 cause I got a returned box.

As a general rule with new hardware, I never use the discs that come with them.  Even if they contain drivers, they're always a couple versions out of date, and sometimes if they contain utilities, they can interfere with the existing OS implementations of similar features and then you end up with a lot of redundant software, none of which works 100%.  Instead, check the company websites for new drivers and firmware, but utilities are almost never necessary.

With this particular router, as well as all the D-link routers I've owned, it's web-configurable.  I've had a few D-link routers in the past, and this one has the best web config interface by far, but it's not 100% cross-browser compatible, due to javascript differences.  It works fine with IE though.  I haven't played a lot with the settings, but it's about 2-3 times more configurable as the previous router I had.

In general, consumer routers don't need utilities to configure them.  I've only had to deal with connection utilities (via terminal using a serial port) on heavy duty routers for a networking class in college.

As for the router performance itself, it actually depends on your computer's network adapter as well.  With Wireless draft-n band, it's not a final spec, so individual manufacturers sometimes have their own quirks in their implementations.  Since I got a D-link DWA-552 XtremeN network card a few months ago and bought a D-link ANT24-0230 triple antenna yesterday, I've been able to get rid of my repeater entirely and still get 4 out of 5 bars of reception.  I've had none of the stability problems I had before, and last night got my torrents going up to 780kb/s on a 7Mb DSL connection.

Not bad at all considering that my router is on one side of the house on the second floor and my pc is on the first floor on the opposite side of the house.  Before I was running an older D-link wireless-g router, an airlink wireless-g repeater, and my xtremeN adapter with the stubby antennas.  I would need to regularly restart the repeater and even then, my connection was laggy and inconsistent.  Now it's rock solid.  However, it didn't work with the off-brand repeater at all and without the antenna, I was getting no signal from anything.

Another interesting feature of this one is that it has a USB port that you can connect an external drive or printer or whatever to and access it over the network.  From what I've read though, you can only access it from one remote connection at a time though.

As for caveats, there is something you need to know about this particular dual-band router.  It has a 5GHz band feature, but it's only usable by network adapters that support that frequency, and so far the only one I know of that will work with that is the DWA-160 usb network adapter.  It specifically has to say dual-band in order to use the 5GHz.  It's still a great router, but unless you are concerned about future-proofing your setup, you could probably get by with the regular single-band XtremeN.  It's something like $30 cheaper.

Going back to your speedfan questions, if your motherboard isn't listed on it, it's nothing to worry about.  It could just be that your motherboard doesn't support variable fan speeds, and so doesn't have the right circuitry to slow down your fan.  That might explain why the same fan isn't as loud as on a different mobo.  I don't think it would hurt to try using Speedfan to try slowing it down though.  If there is no voltage control circuitry for the fans (which would be how it controls the speed), it can't overload itself with higher voltage than normal.  You'd want to try reducing that voltage anyway.  As long as you don't try to increase the speed (if the motherboard even allows that), you won't fry anything with Speedfan.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - Rainbow