JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IU - Shoes

Author Topic: RIP Steve Jobs  (Read 6204 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
RIP Steve Jobs
« on: October 06, 2011, 01:59:57 AM »
RIP Steve Jobs http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

eta:

“Apple has lost a visionary and a creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve has left behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be with the the foundation of Apple.”

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com

Update: Steve Jobs’ Family has sent out a press release:

“Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family. In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve’s illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.”

via mobilesyrup.com
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 03:02:54 AM by daigong »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Re: RIP Steve Jobs
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:31 AM »
I know that I rag on the guy quite a bit, but there's no denying his business savvy. Dude knew that once he came up with something that worked and that the people wanted, he stuck with it.

R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.
:prayers:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
APPLE ][ FOREVER

RIP.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:08:31 AM »
Cancer is a Bitch. :/

Gotta admire dat visionary status. He failed and just got back up and kept on bringing the simple ideas to life. And mad respect his leadership skills.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
R.I.P.

I'm really liking the picture they have of him up at the Apple site. It's  simple yet some much lies behind it. (Not sure if that came out the way I wanted to).

Never been a huge fan of Apple, but it's not like I had anything against him. Condolences.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:37:07 AM by mode107 »
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:07:34 AM »
Steve Jobs was the driving force behind making technology better and forced Apple to become extraordinary.

R.I.P. One of the best leaders in technology
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »
From my post in the other thread in the General Discussion.

As for me, I personally don't use any Apple products and I find them overpriced, but I do greatly respect what Steve Jobs has done for the tech industry. The world has lost a great innovator and he will be greatly missed. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

(Can we get this thread moved to General Discussion. It doesn't really belong in Akihabara since it has nothing to do with it. General Discussion is for topics about recent news and general discussions as the name suggests. I didn't even think to look in here until I was provided the link.)

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
^ Quoting the forum description, the section of JPH!P known as Akihabara is "aka The Geek - for all anime, manga, games, tech nerds." This thread is just fine where it is.

As overpriced as Apple products are, and as annoying proprietary lock is to someone like me, the products they make are also incredibly well-designed and with the average user in mind, and I've always loved Jobs' vision and mission to bring technology to the masses that forced competitors to follow suit. I've owned two versions of the iPod, and while I've never bought a Mac computer I've been tempted to do so a few times before, and recent versions of Windows (my preferred platform) have become more stable and easier to use in an attempt to keep up with the OSX family.

Not only that, Jobs deserves props for his impact on the entertainment industry and animation world: he also founded Pixar, who helped legitimize computer-rendered animation with movies that are awesome both aesthetically and storywise and proving that effort and execution are more important than methodic purity.

I've read stories about him engaging in some shady behavior in his private life away from the tech/business/public world, but as someone who has only known him through his official work I think the good outweighs the bad. Plus he was known to dress really casual at work instead of donning ugly business suits, something that'll always get props from me. :P

Rest in peace, and thanks for thinking differently.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline natme

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 07:46:54 AM »
If this only applied to tech nerds, it would only be in the technology section of every online news source instead of the main article on their front pages. I don't want to make this thread go down the wrong path, but I do want more people to see this besides tech nerds and Manga fans.

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
heard the news right before work started today.

Steve Jobs' innovations changed the world in an unprecedented way.
for one, i think he has changed how we look at the letter 'i'. not a lot of people can do that

his deeds will echo into eternity far longer than the question of where we put this thread

R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.
No one can fill the spaces you've made for yourself on this earth. The world has definitely lost some jobs with you.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
^ tru dat. keepin it simple, not to waste a single moment of your life...as echoed in this Stanford commencement speech.

some images and fan tributes speak volumes. esp. this Hong Kong teen, Jonathan Mak http://jmak.tumblr.com/post/9377189056

stole these from my homegirl and Mac advocate, Sexy Beam:

he didn't invent the mp3 player, he made it better, etc. etc. from Pixar to Mac, I've lifted so much of his CEO tactics into jphip no doubt.

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
A friend of mine tweeted this:

and it said all I had to say (he's referring to the fact that we "met" at a LiveJournal Community for iBook owners).

Jobs revolutionised the way we live our digital lives today. He was an amazing innovator, and a huge inspiration. He'll be missed. John Frost, owner and editor of TheDisneyBlog.com, put this up in his G+ stream, and it's a fitting comparison.

It's as difficult for me to imagine a world without Steve Jobs as it must have been for people to think about a world without Walt Disney when he died. Uncle Walt got ten more good years than Steve did. Walt used that time to come up with EPCOT (still a powerful vision for the future communities around the world are trying to implement - look at Masdar). I have to wonder what Steve would do with 10 more years. Revolutionize another industry. Definitely. Cure cancer? Maybe. I would have liked to see him try.

The reality is we don't have to imagine a world without Steve or Walt. They both left an indelible impact on the world that will exist for all time. They share a legacy of design that put customer needs first, usually before the customer knew they needed it themselves. This was their genius. It's the bit that can't be taught in school or learned behind a desk. It requires vision, failure (early and hard), and passion for excellence.

Steve Jobs' real legacy will be that he inspired so many to follow in his footsteps. RIP Steve Jobs 1955-2011.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
That's really sweet twissie :heart:

No question, he pushed innovation and others to step their game up. PCs always needed that rival in Apple else they'd be fat and bloated and churning out the same DOS based bullshit. Can't even fathom what else besides the basics phone, music, computers. Like desktop publishing, making shit look good. The thing that stands out from all dem quotes above: keep it simple, never stop being YOU. lol and he quotes hockey players too.

"THERE’S an old Wayne Gretzky quote that I love,” Steve Jobs once said. “ ‘I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been.’ And we’ve always tried to do that at Apple.”

“A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them.”—BusinessWeek, 1998

http://powerwall.msnbc.msn.com/politics/15-best-steve-jobs-quotes-1703773.story

Here's an engineering perspective from IEEE

Steve Jobs in Four Easy Steps
What the electronics industry can learn from his tenure at Apple

By G. Pascal Zachary  /  October 2011

The last time I spoke to the late Steve Jobs, he was screaming at me over the phone, "I'm not a failure! I'm not a failure!" His shouts got so loud, I put him on speakerphone so that my editor could hear him.

With Apple among the most valuable companies in the world because of its immensely popular products, the notion of Jobs as a failure seems ridiculous. But less than 20 years ago, in the mid-1990s, when Jobs was struggling to keep his forgettable NeXT computer company afloat, the idea of him failing—the possibility I'd raised in The Wall Street Journal that spurred his furious phone call—terrified him.

I'd hardly call him a failure now, but the reasons for his success aren't always properly understood.

Better than any of his peers, Jobs blended an understanding of technology and society, business and economics, markets and corporate power. In leading Apple past Microsoft on its way to becoming the most valuable technology company on the planet, Jobs repudiated four pillars of business and technology wisdom.

First, Jobs refused to accept that software and hardware were best designed and engineered separately. For him, the venerable insight summarized by Thomas Hughes, the grand historian of American technology, as "the system must be first" became a lodestar. Jobs understood that Apple was fundamentally a builder of technological systems, not a generator of products. As a young man, he watched IBM lose its central role in computing by handing off the PC's basic operating system to an outsider (Microsoft). When in the 2000s Microsoft struggled (and largely failed) to persuade cellphone makers to adopt a variant of Windows, Jobs turned the industry upside down by building a cellphone with an Apple OS at its core. In embracing what traditional industrialists called "vertical integration," he propelled Apple to first place in smartphones.

Second, Jobs denied what is perhaps the most closely held article of faith of the information age: that openness and the wisdom of crowds are essential for successful technological systems. Under his leadership, Apple produced "closed" systems—devices whose basic functions could not be altered—and consumers loved them. "It's not the consumer's job to know what they want," Jobs once famously said. Though an ex-hippie, he proved to be a throwback to an earlier age of top-down leadership: A direct line runs from Henry Ford's Model T to the iPad. To Jobs, Apple's systems are always open—in the sense that their uses can be adapted to an owner's needs and desires. But as iTunes demonstrates, Apple's ability to control the content, the applications, and the purchase opportunities on its mobile devices is far greater than anything carried off by its rivals.

Third, Jobs found a way of selling Apple's products directly—through company-owned stores or online—which was perhaps his greatest and mostly unlikely business triumph. Makers of computers and consumer electronics had always offloaded the task of reaching customers to a motley crew of retailers, who provided no consistent purchasing experience or brand loyalty while shredding the manufacturer's profit margins. Again, going against convention, Jobs created the most valuable retail stores in the world (outselling Tiffany's on a per-square-meter basis). He then sold the inimitable iPhone through those stores and via one other channel (AT&T), in what was a daring business tactic that paid enormous dividends.

Fourth, Jobs found a way to dominate consumer electronics, an arena that the United States seemed to have irretrievably lost to Japan, Korea, and China. The iPod, first released by Apple 10 years ago, marked a stunning shift in global competitive dynamics in consumer electronics. No longer did U.S. firms need to presume they couldn't compete with Canon, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, and other Asian powerhouses in miniaturized digital appliances. To be sure, Jobs relied heavily on Asian production networks—Apple reportedly employs 10 times as many people in China as in the United States—but the style, engineering, and interactivity of Apple's devices are classically American.

How long Apple will be able to hang on to that domination is an open question. Some say that in Apple, Jobs built a company with his own way of thinking, so it will go on just fine without him at the helm. But whether this is true doesn't really matter in the near term: Apple has a pipeline of good products and about US $75 billion in cash.

What then was the elusive genius of Steve Jobs? Despite his infamous bad temper, his impatience, and his penchant for tantrums, Jobs was the ultimate human-centered technologist—even while he was the ultimate digital autocrat. No democracy either internally or externally, Apple has proved the merits of enlightened dictatorship, at least in realms technological. Jobs once summed up his method as "trying to expose yourself to the best things humans have done and then trying to bring those things into what you are doing." This simple credo should long motivate designers and engineers who will inevitably walk in the footsteps of this singular master.

via IEEE Spectrum

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:25 PM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
shit. gotta love this drive. :bow: from his upcoming authorized bio:

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong. I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this”. 

via mobilesyrup

Offline qwertyroxz

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
still can't believe he's gone, even after all these months :(

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IU - Shoes