JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mika Nakashima - My Sugar Cat

Author Topic: [5/11] MM'16 61st single[Utakata Saturday Night/The Vision/Tokyo to iu Katasumi]  (Read 12036 times)

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic
From Amped@Jplop:
It is announced that a triple A-side single will be released on May 11th. The new single was performed at the Morning Musume. '16 Emotion in Motion concert called "Tokyo to iu Katasumi" (Tokyoという片隅) - In a corner of Tokyo.
http://fast-uploader.com/file/7013335414145/
concert rip
http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000125117
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2068405/full/
http://music-book.jp/music/news/news/115884
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:52:26 AM by Chibs »

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
EDIT: Looks like the official page got deleted, but I'm leaving the following up in case it comes back. And it's back...for now?

-----

The other songs are "The Vision" and "Utakata Saturday Night":
http://www.helloproject.com/release/detail/EPCE-7217/

Hearing the concert trip of "Tokyo", it sounds like it could be pretty interesting, but as usual I gotta wait for a better recording before properly judging it.

I wonder if "The Vision" is a Zukki solo/lead...or perhaps a crossover tie-in with Captain America: Civil War... :lol:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:00:22 AM by J-Triumf »
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic
I would love if the vision was on the Civil War soundtrack, also the characters on topic title are very limited

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic

perf@4:55
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:56:51 PM by Chibs »

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Tokyo to iu is a nice song although I still have the rest to listen to closely

Zukki Forever!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:49:47 AM by kuro_808 »
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:04:16 PM by Chibs »

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
I'm seeing all this sourness on Twitter towards "Tokyo" and I'm like, are you kidding me? This song is a huge step up from the last single! The frantic drums, the half-tempo beat and background vocals during the verses, the rock guitar going well alongside the dubstep effects...I can't wait to listen to the whole thing. I can understand not liking the stripey outfits or the basicness of the music video, but the song itself is a winner so far.

I blame the Riho-loss...her absence was definitely felt in Houston and it's still glaringly apparent now.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
^ I def. feel like the instrumental is the winner in this song, it gets me so pumped up!

I'm not sure how I feel about the part where Fuku and Daishi do the wow wow thing, I feel like it's not layered well and sounds messy. Will have to get used to that stuff

Mostly I'm pissed that MM'16 is supposed to be the flagship of H!P, but they still get the most boring MVs. THIS SONG could have inspired so much more (than what was previewed on Hello Station). I feel like other groups are getting better visuals. Can you imagine if this MV was directed by the dude who did that one Seishun Kozo MV. It doesn't even need to be expensive. Just have a bit of imagination, for fuck's sake. I know this complaint is always there with every MV, but if things aren't getting better why stop complaining :P
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Rayle

• Member+
I think people are thrown off by the synth bits. They're expecting more EDMusume, and the other groups getting non-Tsunku songs has also ratcheted up expectations for a really Western-style EDM song.

But this is a rock song at heart. And it's aggressively Tsunku in composition.

At that point, the comparisons to both Brainstorming and Lullaby Game (and Ambitious) start stacking up. It's a bit too sedate, too complacent, next to a comparable instrumentations from other idol groups utilizing those metal elements, especially MomoClo. Going from Tokyo to iu Katasumi to any metal-ish MomoClo song is like receiving an adrenaline injection. (Also, MomoClo songs tend to incorporate more funk elements)

Which isn't fair to Tokyo to iu Katasumi, because it's not trying to be an anisong, nor using anisong cheap tricks to achieve that energy, but those are the sort of things influencing first impressions. Who wouldn't want to listen to Infinite Love or Moon Pride instead?

That said, they have a point. The song cuts straight from FURIOUS BAROQUE PATTERNS to...half time verse. No, don't do that. And the rest of the verse and prechorus keeps being start-stop on dense to sparse instrumentation this way, killing any momentum. This song would be a hella frustrating sex session.
That prechorus-chorus transition only works if the verse and pre-chorus consistently built up to the floor dropping out only at that point, which would give the chorus a great kick in the pants to start off. But because the previous sections were also start-stop, it just feels like another stop, and the chorus kind of limps into action. "Oh, this isn't the prechorus anymore? Oh, okay." Half-time drops have to be very carefully deployed, or be a part of a SHAMELESSLY WEIRD song, and both Seishun Kozo and this song are trying to serve two masters.

Now, the chorus itself is pretty damn strong, and moves into that fun dense arrangement. Too bad we have to get back into that verse. All they needed to do was pave the way to half time in the instrumental section, instead of dropping into it, and it wouldn't be nearly so bad.

The Vision: holy shit, stop using Tsunku-melody choruses. IMMENSE SONG POTENTIAL DOWN THE DRAIN.

Offline Sacul097

• Member+
I prefer The Vision to Tokyo, but I think they're both pretty good, but not great, songs. I'm hoping the Tokyo MV has more going on than what was shown on H!S. Honestly with that name, I'm shocked that they aren't doing street scenes like Kaze ni Fukarete. Hell, even green screen streets like Help Me (tho obviously less shit looking) would make sense.

Offline Rayle

• Member+
Oh, the studio version actually makes me like the song much better! I can hear a lot more going on in the arrangement during the half time sections.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Eripon is so cool xD I think I like this song better than anything of theirs from 2015 (Seishun kozo might rival it), so that's great!
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic

Offline Chibs

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Confessed Eriholic

Utakata Saturday Night

CM preview
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:10:30 AM by Chibs »