JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Osaga

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 303300 times)

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #460 on: November 12, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »
What Tru and Essy had further said certainly clear things up.  :D
So this place is gonna have a beta list, a white list and a chatroom now?  XD
And a little something for lurkers. Learn to speak up, or you don't know what you're missing.  :P

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #461 on: November 12, 2008, 04:19:51 PM »
^I think it's better if the writer enrolls his/herself to the 'program' instead of betas going after particular writers... as what was said earlier, it's not mandatory... and not everybody might want to have a beta... or they might have someone else in mind...

of course, betas can freely comment on whatever fic by whoever author they want but not impose themselves as THE beta on writers...

i think writers know themselves well enough to know if they want a beta or not...
==

... um, fellow writers and resident readers, i think Estrea-san, katatsumuri-san and I have elaborated on this quite extensively for the past few posts... And the administration have opened their offices for possible additions here...
I think it would be best that more of you also voice out what you think about this. Especially since this is going to be a community effort. Sure, participation is voluntary but before anything gets done, i think we should know who are willing to get involved.

I think daigong has already opened up a chatroom for us... thank you, daigong! ... since that is more-or less out of our hands at the moment, maybe we can work with what is within our grasp as computer users...

For the white-list: from what i understand the white-list is an open invitation for serious post chapter reviews... did i get it right?
hmmm... how do we go about enrolling fics into the white list...?
here are some options i can think of:
1. within our own fic threads, after a chapter, we can specify that we are enrolling into the white-list
2. we can open a new thread, much like what Yuuyami-san and Loser-san did for the bootcamp. Maybe we can just update the first post (the first thread will contain a list of all enrollees for easy reference) once a week for new enrollees
those are just suggestions, btw...

for the beta-system: i thought about it for awhile and realized some flaws in my logic earlier... i think a sticky thread can do the trick. This is a minimal spartan post sample suggestion:
Name of Beta:
Literary Focus:
Character Mastery:
Quirks and tendencies that writers might not like:
Active or Inactive (active, meaning: currently beta-reading a writer)
==
anyone who would like to beta simply needs to put up something like that there and wait for victims...um...er... volunteers
maybe later on, we can have a ferocity meter... :lol:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:01:15 PM by tru_harmony »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #462 on: November 12, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »
^Awesome, thanks for laying it out like that, tru. XD And lol at the ferocity meter. :lol:

Pretty much said everything I had to say. So now, just waiting for the silent lurking masses to respond. XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #463 on: November 12, 2008, 07:27:13 PM »
I am herby officially throwing my full support into this program. Even though I don't believe I am a strong enough writer to be a beta, I am totally cool with following any kind of process for my stories to get beta'ed. 

W00 you go JPH!P fanfic thread.  :pandaaa:

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #464 on: November 12, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »
I definitely want to throw my all in there too xDDD

The bootcamp's first post is all your's for the beta-advertising, white list people, and anything else if needed.

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
im still kinda iffy on exactly what this white-list thing is

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #466 on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:09 AM »
The white list is like painting a bullseye on your forehead... j/ks! XD

Although we have active commenters here, there isn't a lot constructive criticism going on.

Constructive criticism isn't being limited to the enrolled fics, of course... If there are commenters who want to "rip apart" fics that aren't enrolled, they are still free to do so... but because we're all friendly people here, that might be inhibiting us from being totally honest or sometimes even from being critical readers...

So, for writers who are hell-bent on getting that serious nitty-gritty constructive criticism, we have the white list...

when you enroll into the white list, you are explicitly telling people that you have braced yourself enough for that constructive criticism even though it might hurt your eyes and ego...

i think the possible objectives of this 'program' is:
1. to have a venue where writers are exposed to healthy, holistic and tactful but strict appraisal of a fic whether in part or as a whole in order to improve thier writing
2. to give readers a venue to voice out any apparently-negative-yet-totally-valid-complaints about any element of the fics: grammar, rhetoric, character and plot development, etc.
3. to reinforce the beta-system (wherever applicable)

I think from our discussion here, reviews for fics in the white list will be kept to PM.

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »
@tru  You're good with this, aren't you.  :on GJ:  and the ferocity meter is funny  :P
Myself, I never wanted a beta so I agree with tru that you don't impose on someone to be their beta, and they might be too nice to reject you. Best to just offer your services and wait...  XD . However, I would love to be in the white list and hear some 'truth'. Ermm... does that mean I have to start posting my fics here?

Another thing I wanna say is writers shouldn't have the mentality that once they got a beta, they're gonna have fantastic reviews for their fics, and blame their beta when it doesn't happen. There are many factors: unpopular pairing, trite story plot and (most importantly, imo) bad English. And your beta might be too nice to tell you that your fic isn't going to work, so no pushing of blame.

Can I suggest that since Tru is quite good with organizing, she should be put in charge of this. We should have a sticky topic where interested parties can find the beta/white list. A writer can then contact the beta he/she wanted through PM or email and what happens after is strictly their 'business'. A writer's beta can remain in anonymity this way, if that's what a shy beta wants. For the white list, writers just have to apply to indicate they are sporty for harsh critique, through open comments or PM. I think there are lot of good writers here that will make good betas but some have since gone 'MIA'. Maybe we can approach them and see if they're willing to help.

EDIT: And a list of proofreaders please. (there's a big difference between a beta and a proofreader, the latter just checks for grammatical errors.)
It may be just me, but nothing makes my eyes bleed more than spelling errors and serious lack of punctuation.  XD

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:14:46 AM by katatsumuri »

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2008, 02:32:12 AM »
^
I'm with you about the grammer thing, katatsumuri~ It pisses me off and kinda ruins the story. :lol: So if you ever see me mess up, it's a typo, I tell you!!! :roll:

This would be a cool thing, as long as I don't have to beta for anyone. o_O Not that I don't want to, it's just that I'm generally not too helpful with this kind of stuff. I tend to like ALMOST everything so it would just be a waste of time. Just thought I'd state this now. :lol:

Go tru!!! You are pro at this!!! :otomerika:

Offline wings4dreams

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2008, 07:18:58 AM »
whoo~ so many updates, I can't keep up with it all. It's 1:00 in the morning and I should be sleeping, but I wanted to respond really quick...

sorry, I didn't mean to make critiques sound too negitive and harsh, I just tend to over exaggerate when I talk about stuff, force of habit I guess... 

anyways, thanks estrea (and sweeety) for offering to beta for me, but I think the white list will do just fine (because reading a fic should be as enjoyable as writing one and if you're forced to read something it becomes a chore and I wouldn't want someone to read my fics because they feel they have to).

I think tru's on the right track with the catagory idea and its really cool how all you guys sorta banded together to make this work *cries* its so beautiful~

and although I agree with kata that a chatroom isn't the best way to go for discussing main details of a plot openly (unless brainstorming) I still like the idea of a chatroom...

I'm really tired so if everything I just typed is a confusing mass of randomness then...uh...

...I forgot what my point was supposed to be...

oy, and sweeety don't feel bad about the love letter thing, for some reason when coworkers see me writing in my notebook they always think I'm writing a romance novel or something and whisper things in my ear like "..and then he held her in his strong muscular arms..."  I laugh nervously, because little do they know that this sweet, shy person is actually writing naughty girl on girl fanfics...

...okay, this time for real, I am going to bed...

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
Thanks for the PM replies -Loser87- & Yuuyami --- been pimping a lot due to HANGRY & ANGRY release but hey, we're here accomodate whatever suits y'all. Gotta explain this beta thing tho, Estrea? :P

Keep up the good work guys!! MAKE JPH!P PROUD! :shakeit:

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #471 on: November 13, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »
Wow, glad to see you guys coming together for the sake of the community here. :) Although I see the people who have posted are really only just a few of our little section's patrons... *looks at self* >.>

I'm sure I'd love doing a beta type thing (if anyone would trust me with it XD) because editing and language work are things I've really come to enjoy doing (I may very well be an English teacher from next year actually... *crosses fingers*), but I just don't have the time for it anymore... I guess I only thought I was busy when I was working full-time and going to school as well. XD Those who know me can tell that by how I'm not even updating my own fics lately... which for a long time nothing really stopped me from doing that... Well, there are signs things might calm down in the next few weeks. Anyway, sorry to not really contribute much, but for what it's worth you guys will always have my support. :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:02:26 PM by rokun »

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #472 on: November 13, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »
whoo~ so many updates, I can't keep up with it all. It's 1:00 in the morning and I should be sleeping
Now you know how I usually feel. :lol:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #473 on: November 13, 2008, 11:55:16 PM »
I really got to stop reading all these fanfics at work while the boss is around. >.>   <.<
Too many sexy/happy/funny moments. A giant grin appears every time I read about them. :lol:

Offline tru_harmony

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2008, 02:17:05 AM »
Okay guys, I'm officially hi-jacking the new writer improvement program.

The new program includes:
1. The beta and proofreader roster
2. The whitelist

I'm leaving the original bootcamp in the hands of Yuuyami-san and Loser-san. But may I request any of the mods to make it a sticky thread? Just to make it easy to find.

I am requesting the people who are, as early as now, interested in joining the program to send me the following information so that we can have an initial list.

For the betas:

Name of Beta:
Literary Focus:
Character Mastery:
Quirks and tendencies that writers might not like about you:
*Would you be willing to beta 2 writers?
**Would you be willing to proofread as a sideline?
==
For the proofreaders (who aren't available to be beta readers), your name would suffice. But if you want to send me anymore information about yourself that you think may be necessary or, more importantly, fun, please feel free to do so.
==
For the white list:
Name of the writer:
Title of the fic you want to enroll: (If you're enrolling your complete work portfolio, please indicate)
Pairings for each fic: (for quick reference)
Elements you want your reviewers to pay most attention to: (If none, please indicate)
==
By the power I vested in me, I hereby declare that the program, especially the white-list, be exclusive to fics posted in here even if we all visit that other place where you post your fics.(not that I can do anything about it if you don't follow this provision). So please post here. :D

This is all for the good of the forum, if there are any objections to this hi-jack, feel free to ask help from anybody here to dethrone me. Silence will be taken as a sign of affirmation. Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:33:44 AM by tru_harmony »

Offline katatsumuri

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2008, 03:12:18 AM »
Yes please, Tru. Not that this improvement will disrupt the whole sub-forum (as everything is voluntary). Thank you very much.  :D

Offline lollipopgirl

• Forever with us JABBY! <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's all about the girl love!
« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2008, 03:13:39 AM »
This down to business tru is scary :P
You guys are doing a great job though, nice to see :D
Now I just gotta figure out how to get on the fic chatroom thing XD

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2008, 03:25:06 AM »
*whew*

First time in something like, a month and a half where I've gotten all caught up on everything here.
:mon sweat:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Chika-chan

• Obsessively obsessed about stuff
  • Member+
  • UNDERPANTS!
« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2008, 05:17:03 PM »
At least you're all caught up!

Avatar and sig by the fabulously dorky, yet quirky DJ Maimai

"I used to have nightmares that they would put "He played Ted" on my tombstone."-Keanu Reeves

Offline sweeety

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #479 on: November 18, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »
^ Is this going to turn into another writer bootcamp thingy and be totally annoying?
I have a porcupine called zazoom, he leaves his scent on peoples' graves.

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Osaga