JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Kodoku na Cowboy

Author Topic: Morning Musume and Hello! Project: a sports franchise???  (Read 6997 times)

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
Morning Musume and Hello! Project: a sports franchise???
« on: February 07, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »
For the record, this is not about the actual sports teams of Gatas Brilhantes or Metro Rabbits.

I first came up with this idea way back in September when I was still a total noob trying to learn all the basics of Morning Musume and Hello Project...the idea continued to linger and develop in my head but I never could figure out a way to organize it properly without dedicating an endless wall of text to it, so I never bothered to share it (especially after that Ai vs. Kobe topic blew my idea out of the water XD ). However, after being inspired once again by the recent Utaban and the fact that it's the Super Bowl weekend (leading to articles like this imagining a Marvel vs. DC football matchup), I now present to you...

The Morning Musume/Hello Project football* team!

*And by football I mean American football, which some of you elsewhere may better know it as armored hand egg

When I first started getting interested in Morning Musume, I had a bit of trouble coming to terms with how it operated. The constant addition and subtraction of members throughout the years meant that the group as we know it now is clearly not the same group that started it all despite using the same name. But one day I randomly thought about it as people joining and leaving a team, and that's when it hit me: this is just like a sports franchise! Picturing Tsunku as a head coach who drafts players every year (auditions) and draws up plays for them to run (producing/writing songs), I started mentally assigning positions to each member based on their presence on the singles, with American football making the most sense for me due to the group's size--MM would be the offense of Team H!P, with soloists and other groups serving as defense and special teams. But eventually the idea developed a bit too well in my head that there was no way I could write it down without seeming like an obsessed maniac. :P

Still, I figured it would make for a funny discussion if I could somehow narrow it down to just the current lineup (plus I figure I can always elaborate on past rosters later if this topic takes off), so here's the offensive starting lineup...

Quarterback - Ai Takahashi
An obvious choice for QB, serving as the face of the offense and being in charge of running the plays. Some say she's the greatest passer in franchise history, while critics find her fundamentally-sound play unexciting and are quick to compare the amount of team success seen by her predecessor, Abe.
Running back - Risa Niigaki
A dependable option for keeping the pressure off the QB, though her fans think the team doesn't call running plays enough. Has no problem finding the endzone, except when it's drawn on a map.
Wide receiver - Reina Tanaka
Drafted at a time when the team roster was already flooded with receivers, Tanaka was instantly put into the starting lineup in her first game and has managed to shine ever since, baffling defenders who have trouble figuring out which way she's looking. Notable for attempting to declare for the draft before actually becoming elligible.
Tight end - Sayumi Michishige
An occasional receiver who's best work is actually knocking down defenders when they least suspect it. Always demanding more passes be thrown her way despite not having very good hands.
Slot receiver/fullback - Eri Kamei
Good for blocking for other ball handlers and serving as a third/fourth option for passes. Constantly involved in trick plays with Niigaki, despite a few of said plays requiring multiple attempts to get right.
Center - Aika Mitsui
Sees minimal ball-handling duties as the snapper, blocking for the QB/RB and picking up any fumbles along the way. Known for having a quiet demeanor and being injury prone, but still attracts a loyal fan following.
Offensive line - Junjun and Linlin
They make sure the ball handlers don't get smothered by the opposing defense...and they did an excellent job last Tuesday.

For the defense, Berryz Kobo and C-ute can fill in those spots, though I don't know enough about them yet to assign individual positions. Rounding out the team would be Erina Mano, who falls into place just right as the kicker/punter.

And even though covering past rosters would be one hell of a task, I couldn't help but focus on a few of them:
Natsumi Abe
The team's first QB, beating teammate Kaori Iida for the position during tryouts. Later formed a linebacker corps with Aya Matsuura and Maki Goto. Once played an entire game calling nothing but QB scramble plays. Was suspended in late 2004 for stealing plays and strategies from other teams.
Maki Goto
Former WR whose presence on the offense coincided with the team's championship years, but later was found to be more effective as a linebacker. Now plays basketball for Team Rhythm Zone.
Rika Ishikawa
Drafted as a tight end but later became involved in multiple special teams formations and defensive units, building a reputation for unheralded work ethic and athleticism. Has one of the most loyal fan followings amongst former players.
Hitomi Yoshizawa
Drafted as the team's first full-time fullback, later becoming team captain. Set a franchise record in 2001 for most rushing yards in a single game.
Ai Kago
Drafted as a receiver, spending most plays lined up next to slot receiver Nozomi Tsuji, with whom saw big success on special teams and later as a defensive secondary unit. Was suspended in 2006 and later waived for violating the team's substance abuse policy.
Miki Fujimoto
Originally passed over in the draft, was later signed as a linebacker before suddenly being switched to the offense, where she eventually became the primary receiver. Was moved back to defense after violating the team's personal conduct rules in 2007.
Koharu Kusumi
Originally picked as the next go-to receiver for the team, but was eventually reduced to being a secondary option in the starting lineup. Her energy and frantic style, however, allowed her to shine on special teams as a kick/punt returner. Shocked fans everywhere when she accepted a sudden contract buyout in 2009.

Any thoughts? Like/hate my analysis and/or have your own? Think another sport or realm would be better suited for such comparisons?
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: Morning Musume and Hello! Project: a sports franchise???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
Dude I don't do sports, at all, but this is pretty awesome. :lol:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »
I want to expand this idea in a way of adding the graduated MM members to the roster but away from the Utaban reference because that would take a bias approach in my opinion, but I will take out any personal bias from this too and will solely based it off my own observations and put into football references on how I see it

QB: Nakazawa Yuko- very wise and crafty QB that can carry the team to where it wants to be with her hard nose style and lack of emotions towards her teammates forces them to understand that she wants results.
HB: Goto Maki- Established person with her style and fashion but is willing to put out the best results out on the field.
WR: Takahashi Ai- Added to be the star receiver of now and for the future, she has built herself into the role of lead pass catcher, and is willing to assist the lower branch
WR: Tanaka Reina- Second to the team but knows that outshining the veteran would be bad but she tries to build as a compliment not as a rival
WR: Kusumi Koharu- Slot receiver who would be the eventual future to the team but the top two hasn't left so she takes the third receiver position to distract from the top two
FB: Tsuji Nozomi- Not well known or well liked among the other members but is hard working and is upbeat that she is part of a great team.
TE: Kamei Eri- Hard working and reliable although undersized to be in this position she takes it in stride that she is the first option when the blitz come on pass plays
OT: Junjun- The protector of the blindside and is willing to standout when giving the opportunity
OT: Linlin- the counter part to the China sandwich and will take anything coming her way
G: Mitsui Aika- Maybe not well known but can take the blitz and open the hole whenever possible for the HB going downhill
G: Yasuda Kei- The anchor of the group and the best friend of the QB to assist in line shifts and protection assignments
C: Ishiguro Aya- Somewhat the lead blocker for the group but has the passion to take on other stuff past the first line of defense

DE:Iida Kaori- very nimble feet and pass rush past the tackles with her quick first step
DE: Abe Natsumi- the very compliment to the otherside when coming towards her side she can go for the sack
DT: Konno Asami- Not very well known throughout the stadium but is willing to take on the goal line stand when needed
DT: Ichii Sayaka- More of the nimble rusher who will blast through the line and tackle the running backs for a lost
LOLB: Fujimoto Miki- Sack Master Mikitty coming off the side and strip sack the QB
MLB: Yaguchi Mari- Hard working, although short on height she can take on the vision of the backs not passing her
ROLB: Ishikawa Rika- The opposite of Mikitty, she takes on the grunt of the blitz but just like the MLB she has a vision to get the tackle
CB: Michishige Sayumi- Not meant for too much contact, she takes on the quickest receivers and distract them away from their routes
CB: Kusumi Koharu- same as on the other side but stops the route from passing her with her quick first step to stop them
FS: Niigaki Risa- The ball hawk who will take the opportunity to present herself when the corners are doing man protection
SS: Ogawa Makoto- takes on the runner if they run past the linebackers and deliver the final hit

K: Yoshizawa Hitomi- the best leg and accuracy in the land to get the clutch FG's
P: Fukuda Asuka- Not well known but can punt it to give the Defense an advantage to get pts

I know it seems rather crowded but this is my sort of analysis on the whole thing in the view of MM and I have to think about Berryz as a volleyball team.

@J-Triumf I like how you took your approach and it gave me some inspiration to write this out and I hope we can do more of this later with other sports
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline writerserenyty

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • L(^▽^) Gucha~~
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
Dude I don't do sports, at all, but this is pretty awesome. :lol:
My thoughts exactly.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
hahahaha fucking baller take J-Triumf!! :twothumbs

definitely a fun read, I never thought of them playing the positions the way they react on TV shows/in songs, etc. totally can picture Reina as the flmaboyant Chad Johnson type who craves the spotlight on her.

A lead/front person sure is the heart and soul, even have the "spark" energy people be your MLB Ray Lewis, Dwight Freeney type = Kei Yasuda. Not the fanciest, nor the biggest player but always leads the charge!

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »
can they form a curling team and go to the winter olympics?

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »

let's see junjun and linlin would not be on the team, they could join bobsled

MM: Ai, Gaki, Eri, and Reina
OG: Rika, Yossie, Konno, and Goto
H!P: Melon Kinenbi
Kids: Maasa, Momo, Captain, and Maimi

My Volleyball Idea

now to make an efficient  team you need outside hitters, middle blocker, and setters

Setter= Momo probably the one who could compliment the main people but too short to consider outside work
Libero= Captain honestly defense is key in volleyball
Outside Hitters= Chinami, Maasa, Miyabi, and Risako, simple height kills
Middle blocker= Yurina, usually the tallest has this spot and attack toward the middle is the key
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »

Only if they get crazier pants than the Norwegian team. :lol:
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:06 PM »

what about this... already tested by Ai and JunJun

or maybe this stlye... super fresh and stylish for the high competition  :rofl:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »
can they form a curluing team and go to the winter olympics?

I can picture Ai-chan screaming HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRD!!!!!!!! :fap

Offline shurastriker

• Knight of the SAGA
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • アフィリリルー
    • shuranisaur
    • shuranisaur
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
i can imagine KAMEI AND GAKI BRUSHING ALL THE WAY TOGETHER

Offline Saikami

• W O N K Y F I E D
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • TEAM AIBUTT
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »

what about this... already tested by Ai and JunJun

or maybe this stlye... super fresh and stylish for the high competition  :rofl:

We can mix the two styles... and add more holes! :lol:
[All hail AiButt! Sig by Dinny!]

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
I've assembled the team!

NFL Blitz 2001 for Dreamcast was an awesome game for the simple fact that if you play long enough you can create an entire team full of custom players. Back in the day I had teams for Def Jam rappers, WWE wrestlers, and even Digimon characters...and now that I've given the game another go, it's time to add Morning Musume into the mix:

Keeping consistent with the pandas protecting the ballhandlers on Utaban, they serve as the O-line with original leader Yuko starting each play with the ball in her hands.

Backfield consists of the group's lead singers, with Nacchi throwing to everyone else.

Receiver corps consists of the '85ers, with Rika doubling as a punt returner (consistent with her participating in so many H!P units).

Leading the charge on defense is Johnson, along with other Utaban favorites Yasuda and Ogawa.

Linebackers represented by latter-day Momusu mainstays...you might say this defense is a work of "aaaato".

And finally, the secondary represented by W.

The jersey numbers are based on the H!P Winter 2006 concert outfits where everyone had numbers, with liberties taken for position numbering rules and those who weren't at that concert. Attributes for ballhandlers and secondary were inspired by personal opinions on singing ability, performances in the Mechaike Sports Festival special, and general perceptions/vibes; everyone else were just imported from the Def Jam team when I cloned it to create this team.

Unfortunately there were some restrictions that made this tricky: the kicker is the only player that can't be replaced, so Carolina Panthers kicker John Kasay is an unofficial Musume. :lol: Plus there wasn't enough room to include all 25 MM members; the ones who didn't make the cut are Fukuda, Ishiguro, Ichii, Konno, Michishige, and Mitsui (the first three and Mitsui were easy decisions, but Konkon and Sayu were a tough call).

Why the Panthers? They got awesome uniforms (plus their colors remind me of Resonant Blue). :P Though I might consider switching to the Broncos to be consistent with Gatas Brilhantes colors. I'm also considering doing a general H!P team for non-MM members, with Tsunku at QB...and if I had the patience for it, I'd be doing this with NBA 2K9 as well.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
:rofl: AWESOME!! John Kasay can totally hit those high notes. you should do caps of them on the field.

Remember when EA Sports had "insert your face" when u create your own players, I made a few H!P Members back in the day with disastrous results. Fuck I should pull that out again. NHL 2001 baby!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »
This thread makes me want to watch football while I brush my teeth. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Awesomeness!

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Kodoku na Cowboy