JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shoko Nakagawa - Through the Looking Glass

Author Topic: (Artist) Utada Hikaru  (Read 219919 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: (Artist) Utada Hikaru
« Reply #420 on: February 07, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »
I guess this is the appropriate place to put this:

UTADA's 2nd U.S. Album "This Is The One" - Released in March 2009

Click for the 2 part interview on her new album, tour plans and how she wants her competitors on wi-fi Tetris to know that it was Utada Hikaru that beat them :lol:

U.S. Press Release Kit
[youtube=425,350]Q3evD1AP79s[/youtube]

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »
Thanks! I love the title of the new album~

this interview was interesting. I'm kinda scared when she said it took some Japanese and European influence... which was basically like her first album. And if the reason why it didn't do well was because of the sound, then there might be a problem. but hey, if she markets this just right, it could work...

But I also like the part where she said she went back to her old roots as focusing more of a singer. I guess she means now she focuses more on a lyrical writer seeing as her new songs are (you can tell) about  lyrics and not so much sound and voice.

Hmm, it's really interesting to read the whole Timbaland part of the interview. It's funny seeing as Timbaland is a pretty good producer and he comes out with hits. But his Utada stuff... I was almost blaming the "weird/different" style on HER. But I guess it was HIM?

-O_sLaVe
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline e_lo05

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2009, 08:07:12 AM »
yea...i think that if exodus came out this year instead of 2004 (i think that's when it came out) the album would've done much better.  i think people are more open to "weirder" music now.  i am excited for this new album though.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
I have a few hunches about why Utada didn't market so well in 2004.

From the interview, she clearly wasn't feeling the way things ran when she worked with Timbaland and because, like she said, she has no say when and where an album releases, she had to release this one. But because she wasn't so confident about it, I think she ended up trying to market it as least as possible. Because if she wanted to test the waters with Exodus, I think she would have done a much better job at putting herself out there- especially if she was under Island Records and being helped by Timbaland.

Now though, she seems much more confident and willing to put herself out there. I know in Japan, she's used to putting anything out and having people market for her or her stuff market itself. I hope she doesn't use the same strategy here because of course she needs to do a lot of self promotion to get herself noticed.

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
I have a few hunches about why Utada didn't market so well in 2004.

I think the reason she didn't do well in 2004 in the USA is because they didn't promote her enough.  Apart from a tiny interview on MTV did she do any tv appearances at all?
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #425 on: February 09, 2009, 01:47:12 AM »
i've also always said she didnt get enough promotion. I got an email from island records saying she was releasing an album (though I'm not sure why I even got that...), and that's the only promotion I ever saw for Exodus

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #426 on: February 10, 2009, 12:30:32 AM »
The promotion for Exodus was practically non-existent. Like tenkei says, all I remember was that MTV interview and that's it. Rather surprising considering even then Timbaland was one of the most popular producers to work with.

I just hope there's more promotion this time round and I bet Hikki is aware that she needs more promotion this time round too.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #427 on: February 10, 2009, 04:11:59 AM »

http://i40.tinypic.com/24xqdqu.png

This was from her MYSPACE. Man, girl just don't care. She really does try to take as much control as she can, another thing i love about Utada.

>>I posted the lyrics at the CBTM thread<< didn't feel like posting it here too since it correlates better with that thread.

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #428 on: February 11, 2009, 04:13:16 AM »
The promotion for Exodus was practically non-existent. Like tenkei says, all I remember was that MTV interview and that's it. Rather surprising considering even then Timbaland was one of the most popular producers to work with.

I just hope there's more promotion this time round and I bet Hikki is aware that she needs more promotion this time round too.

Yeah, all I saw was a tiny MTV interview and she did 2 radio interviews and I remember reading she signed autographs after one of them and there was a tiny amount of people there.  I want to see her tv shows such as the Letterman show, doing a song at the end of the show, and Letterman can even make jokes about "oh those crazy Japanese etc" if he wants to because at least it'd be some exposure.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #429 on: February 11, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
http://i40.tinypic.com/24xqdqu.png

Wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of Hikki :o But you're right, it would seem she tries to take as much control as possible. Much like Prince, one of her favourite artists, and mine :D

A performance on Letterman or something would be good to see absolutely. It could bring out serious Hikki where she's talking about how she creates her music, the inspirations for this album etc and maybe show off her quirky aspects to her. Anything to hear that laugh :heart: Can never tell how the American public would take it, but it would be sweet for fans like us!

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #430 on: February 12, 2009, 12:17:46 AM »
http://www.sinternet.com/newindex.php
"Hey this is Utada, you're logged on to sinternet.com"
A lot of famous artists are on here. And check out, her video is on the bottom right! "Mic check mic check 1,2,1,2" :lol:

http://www.sinternet.com/
Also in Japanese.

Quote from: Utada's myspace
When I start making a song, for one second I see an amazing view—and in that instant, it cracks and falls to pieces. Then the rest of the process is trying to put the pieces back together. So when it feels familiar, when I see what I saw in that moment the song was conceived, then I know it’s done.—Utada

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #431 on: February 13, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
I can see the video on the first link, but when I go to sinternet.com there's another video and it says it can't be viewed from my country.  Can anyone see it? I'm guessing it's the PV.  Time to find me a proxy.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #432 on: February 13, 2009, 01:54:42 AM »
^It's actually the same video as the one posted at the top of this page (22). It's not the MV yet.

Has anyone heard COME BACK TO ME on airwaves yet? Supposedly it was supposed to play since Feb 09 and radio dj critics are already commenting about it (all good so far) but I haven't heard it. Then again, I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to.

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #433 on: February 13, 2009, 04:19:37 AM »
^It's actually the same video as the one posted at the top of this page (22). It's not the MV yet.

Has anyone heard COME BACK TO ME on airwaves yet? Supposedly it was supposed to play since Feb 09 and radio dj critics are already commenting about it (all good so far) but I haven't heard it. Then again, I don't listen to the radio as much as I used to.

-O_sLaVe

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

I ripped the video of Utada talking (in English!) and the 2 little speech clips from sinternet.com and uploaded them.
http://www.mediafire.com/?xye3mjmmymm

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #434 on: February 13, 2009, 04:29:08 AM »
^ Hell yeah, thanks a whole lot Dan!  :twothumbs

Man, I really love that mic check, you knew that the video was destined for craziness when that happened
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #435 on: February 16, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »
Thanks Dan!

Ningin did a nice sit down interview with Utada! Make sure you check out their contest as well.
>>PT 1<<
>>PT 2<<

>>The interview she's talking about<<
I laughed twice. she's funny and witty like always :)

I wonder why she had an MRI... Hope she's not sick! Her answer for question 3... I so agree! No.7 :lol:

-O_sLaVe

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2009, 05:26:50 AM »
I wonder why she had an MRI... Hope she's not sick!

In May 2002 she was in hospital, she had an ovarian cyst removed (some sites say cyst, others say tumor, can't remember which it was).  I assume she'll have an MRI every year or something just to be safe.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #437 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:20 PM »
^ Speaking from experience, an MRI scan is no fun. Lying there, instructed to keep as still as possible, for the best part of an hour.. :thumbdown:

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #438 on: February 20, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
Doesn't sound fun at all! But I hope she's as healthy as can be :)

Has anyone heard Come Back To Me on their radio yet?? I feel like requesting it, but I don't listen to the radio long enough to even catch the phone number haha.

-O_sLaVe

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #439 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »
I wonder if she'll make an effort to promote in Europe. I know of a few tv/radio shows here in the UK where she could do some interviews and who knows, may get a better reception than in America.

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shoko Nakagawa - Through the Looking Glass