JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Juice=Juice - Otona no Jijou

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 303247 times)

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #960 on: March 22, 2010, 09:59:31 PM »
ugh hopefuly it'll get uploaded!>.< i was lucky enough to watch it before it got privetaed >.> it kinda reckindled my takagaki love cus in one part ai just randomly says that risa would do a certian thing with her causing risa to go"o.o oh ok!" XD XD
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #961 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:16 AM »
Laminated High King poster in the office? I think that should motivate more than just yourself Essy-sama.

Ah, it got uploaded, off to download! *whoosh*

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #962 on: March 27, 2010, 05:04:47 PM »
*rolls around*

I need to stop writing the sick, painful fics and go back to fluff. Sigh...

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #963 on: March 27, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »
^
hmm maybe watch some fluffy stuff like cute MM sences on youtube? maybe the megga cute-ness will draw the fluffy-ness out of u?

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #964 on: March 28, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »
I need very specific fluff to make me happy. Lol. I'm a picky person. :lol:

Quick question to everyone, what sort of story gets your attention the most? Fluff? Angst? Comedy? Or a combination? XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #965 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »
sometimes certian ones sometimes a combo it depends on my mood XD

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #966 on: March 28, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »
Ishiyoshi is THE pairing. I still get mad when I see YoMiki or YoMako, like, to me, Rika is the only suitable person for Hitomi. They're just not my number one anymore. And now that I'm thinking about it, I haven't written a good W in a while, but that one's hard to make believable nowadays.

Lol. I'm with you there. I can't accept Yossie with anybody else. But for me, Rika's good with anybody (especially Miki or Eri xD).
I haven't even read a W yet...

Oh god! *ducks head* I can't stomach that crap anymore. Why did anyone let me post that back then, I should have been mauled for even dreaming it up.

Is it that bad?
I've come to believe that if it's IshiYoshi, bad can't be possible.

It's not that I have no intention of finishing it because I've moved on from those pairings being the center of my universe, it's just that nothing can save that story. I was such an emofaq teenager.

I'm going to read it anyway.
And if I do need some sense of closure to be satisfied, I'm sure you at least know how it ends??  :)

Lawls. B&B will eventually get updated, I'm just having a creative meltdown at the moment, ADD kicking in hardcore. When I do finally post, I'm going to bomb the forum and I'll put up two chapters of B&B, though I'm not promising gold and I apologize in advance for it seeming a little flat in most places.

Do you really suffer from ADD?

Gold is good but even if it's not, it doesn't matter that much. It's just fanfiction  :D

Yup, their dynamic is so interesting, I mean, they were best friends back in the day, but now that they're leading, it seems like it's so rare to get some good interaction between them. It's like, why? So I figure, they're either not that close anymore, which begs the question, what happened? or they're so close to each other that they don't need to be all honeymooning in public like little girls, which is so :wub:

I'm going with the latter explanation  :inlove:

It kind of reminds me how IshiYoshi went up and down too - but their reasons were a bit more apparent. Tabloids in 2002.

Yay! New friend! *handshake?*

:P *handshakes!*
See you around then, buds.

---

Quick question to everyone, what sort of story gets your attention the most? Fluff? Angst? Comedy? Or a combination? XD

A combination of everything is usually best, but that can be hard to manage...

I personally don't really mind as long as the storyline/characterisation is GOOD. Something that sucks you in.

Comedy/Fluff can be pretty damn awesome if done right...

Angst/Fluff really catches me too, as long as the 'emo' factor is justifiable and not done for the heck of it. When angst is done right, the power that it can conjure... wow.

:heart:

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #967 on: March 29, 2010, 07:40:53 AM »

Lol. I'm with you there. I can't accept Yossie with anybody else. But for me, Rika's good with anybody (especially Miki or Eri xD).
I haven't even read a W yet...
I've been into Charmikitty recently, they're just so wrong, yet so right, like Tanagaki,

Is it that bad?
I've come to believe that if it's IshiYoshi, bad can't be possible.
Yes, it's that bad, I was trying to write with superficial knowledge. And it shows.

I'm going to read it anyway.
And if I do need some sense of closure to be satisfied, I'm sure you at least know how it ends??  :)
It ends with Hangry and Angry forming, Nono getting married and having a kid, and Aibon becoming a complete disgrace to the Japanese public...

Do you really suffer from ADD?
Yes I do, ever since I was a baby.

I'm going with the latter explanation  :inlove:
Me too.  :wub:
It kind of reminds me how IshiYoshi went up and down too - but their reasons were a bit more apparent. Tabloids in 2002.
I heard the rumors, but it's good to know they can still work together and they go out for drinks together.

:P *handshakes!*
See you around then, buds.
Yay, okay!

---

Fluff in a oneshot.
FluffComedy is good, especially with certain pairings. Usually Takagaki or Kameshige. If it's Renai, then I'm all over it like white on rice! :w00t:
ComedyAngst is hard to do, I guess that would be SarcasmAngst, but if it's done believably then, yeah.
AngstFluff depends on the pairing, if I can find Takagaki, then I'm prepared to shed some tears, Renai, I'll gripe a little, but you know I'll read. Gakishige is good for that genre.
Comedy I love! Above all else, I love to laugh, so I can have no pairings at all, not even a hint, but if it makes me laugh, I'll glue myself to the screen.

Speaking of, I just reread Doki Doki and Another Day at H!P. Dude, I remember when I was waiting for updates on those stories. Highly recommend them for some craziness.

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #968 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
*peeks out from lurker hiding spot*

I know I'm probably really late, but I'm not really a talkative person on forum unless the fanfiction section counts. lol I might as well do some delayed replying since I'm here now and decided to get some courage to post here yet again. lol

Estrea I agree with you that there is too much TakaGaki. It's everywhere to the point that it's expected in many fics and that starts to get annoying. I like fics where it's hard to know what's going to happen and who the pairing will be. So I've decided to write different pairings. I actually have a list of the pairings I want to do. lol Some of them are checked off, but others are hard for me to make. I've tried to make ReinAi as well.  :nervous

That fic isn't that good so it's just back in my notebook probably there to collect dust. That is until I can figure out how to fix it. There is one pairing though I really want to try which is Ai/Sayu. I find it really cute and interesting, but again I'm having a hard time writing it. I'll just wait for something to come. That's what I did with my AiEri fic I have now and it came out interesting.

As for what story gets me the most it would probably have to be angst since I like to read really sad stuff. I like drama also though that comes with angst, right? I do enjoy also fluff and comedy too. I enjoy laughing as well. I read any type of fic really, but I most likely go for the angst stuff first.

@rnd- Hey, I suffer with ADD too. Well, when I was a child it was HD/AD first then in my preteens it turned into ADD and now I still have it. I consider it kind of useful though. lol Sometimes anyway.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:58:06 PM by writerjunkie »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #969 on: March 29, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
^Mhm I agree that knowing the incoming pairing can take half the fun out of it, but I wasn't really concerned about predictability as much as quality, I suppose. I don't mind knowing what is coming, as long as it's well executed. It's a testament to the skill of the writer if he/she is able to command your interest even when their pairing cards are all laid out on the table. It's the business of the writer to re-invent the wheel, so to speak. There's no such as a completely original story, not in our time. XD

I mean, I'm pretty predictable in that everything I write insofar that it will almost always involve Ai. XD As I am also partial to ReinAi, the pairing is dominant in all my recent works, and will continue to be so until as far as my tastes change. Or unless I decide to try something different. Heh.

Ok new question, because I'm in a thinking mood. What draws you most to a fanfic? It can be more than one thing; pairing, genre (as in comedy/angst/fluff/etc), theme/setting, or anything else you can think of. I like setting these sort of questions. :D It helps me think, and I like picking the brains of you guys too. Muahahaha. :lol:

Well as for my answer to that question, I would say that pairing plays a large part to the attraction, and I would go further to add that since every pairing as their own quirks and dynamics, it is more to that particular type of dynamic that I am interested than the pairing per se; though it helps to care about the people in the pairing as well. I generally appreciate passion, and I don't mean just carnal passions. ;) I generally enjoy intense emotions, which can often lead to conflict (always fun!). Of course, it helps if the writer knows how to portray what I'm looking for. Tension can be created in conversation, even in description; though I prefer more subtle approaches. I've read some very good stories and they don't have to spell out tension for you -- it is simply there in the text without the need to say it out loud. I find that it is never enough to simply state a emotion or thought, it must be shown through, well, everything that the writer deigns to show. Personally, I'm still trying to work on that myself. I've seen fanfics that put my own work to shame, so I think I need more practice in that department. Hmm, and I need better notes too. Sigh. So much to learn!

And in conclusion, I believe I ramble too much. XD The long and short of what I meant to say can be encapsulated in one sentence, as follows:

I LIKE GOOD STORIES.

:D

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #970 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
wow..that's alot to put...but i get what u mean. next to the pairing, i think that i kinda have to feel like what's going on and try to think what'll happen next. i mean i know for a fact that my stories are pretty predicatble,and i think that every story that u read is just epic and makes my thought of what will happen, be totaly the opposite XD i love those types for  some reason.

i like good stories too!! XD

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #971 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
*slips out of lurk mode*

Aren't those two questions you asked basically the same, dear Essy-chan? :P You're sure being inquisitive lately. I'm not really sure I can say what brings me to a fic most. I think as I am with anything else, it just depends on a variety of factors. Pairing, who writes it, genre to an extent... Like, I might be more likely to read something in fantasy-style I suppose, though there are plenty of other things i read too.

As with Essy though, it does have to be a certain level of writing. If I open up a new story that looks intriguing cause of pairing or whatever, if the first few paragraphs aren't up to snuff I probably won't bother. No paragraph breaks? Moving on. Tons of grammar/spelling errors without enough cuteness? Moving on. Lack of imagination, creativity or detail? Moving on. Pairing I'm not crazy about (if it wasn't specified beforehand)? Moving on. Of course, that doesn't have to do with quality of story... lol. Even if it's IshiYoshi or something, if it's very well written I still might give it a go.

Of course, lately I haven't been reading much of anything... or writing... Then again, things around here have seemed pretty slow. Summer's coming up soon I guess, ne?

Offline rndmnwierd

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #972 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:07 AM »
It's everyone to the point that it's expected in many fics and that starts to get annoying.
<.< >.> <.< Uh...? It's a compulsion! The voices told me to write Takagaki! :panic:

But seriously, on Essy-sama's question, I love to read. The stories that draw me in the most in real life are fantasy and space fantasy genre, believe it or not. Elves and magic? I'm there. Singing spaceships? You got me. After that it would have to be a good, hardcore action read, sans romance, because that generally ruins the type of action I like. I also like to read stories where evil prevails, even if that's more than a little bleak, but it's true, good doesn't always win over evil.

In fanfiction, I crave, more than anything, simply to read about how people can portray the girls. Granted, rokun has a point, if it's too bad grammatically or puts me to sleep reading it or the sentences don't flow, then I can't stomach it, but I'll friggin' try. Of course, I always look forward to certain writers above all others. Like if Essy or rokun update, I read their's first. Or Hammy, too, since all three update so rarely and I'm always looking forward to a new chapter because I want to see how they will spin the story, since I know from experience that whatever they put out will blow me away, either from description or pure me screaming at the ceiling in frustration. Hammykins, that one's directed at you. ;)

But ultimately, a good story, even if the grammar isn't great or the pairing's overdone, supersedes all else. Unless the pairing's Yomiki, I hate Yomiki...

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #973 on: March 30, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »
Estrea I agree with you that there is too much TakaGaki. It's everyone to the point that it's expected in many fics and that starts to get annoying.
Issa, you did not just say that. D: Yes, there is quite a bit of TakaGaki in fics but actually what's happened is that lately they've been regulated to being the boring, already-together background couple in Tanakame/other pairing stories. They are there but the author's efforts are obviously on the main couple so they don't get much development and are just given the usual old married couple treatment.

By fannon characterization TakaGaki are calm and stable whereas ReinAi is more often angsty and sex-filled but both when not sufficiently built upon by the writer becomes boring. It's just not as easy for angsty and sex-filled to be considered boring. In the end, it's all up to the writer.

(ugh... Firefox ate my original post so if I sound cranky it's mostly because of that and not so much about TakaGaki. ^^; )

Definitely it's all subjective and about what you personally prefer. The dynamics of the two couples are very different and so make for very different stories. Refer to my TakaGaki/ReinAi attributes chart:

^Yes, I sucked that out my thumb. I just wanted a chart in my post. 8)

What I want to see is a story that actually grows the characters instead of just relying on common characterizations that already exist. This is why AU fics draw me in so much, especially the ones where they start off with the girls' early history and show their development into their personalities. Also, more rare pairings please. Basically ones that are not TanaKamei, ReinAi or even TakaGaki. And more Berryz/C-ute fic gosh darnit because there's so much potential there.

...in general though. I like long stories that have angst along the way but ultimately end happy. Oh and I guess it'd be nice if the writer can spell and capitalize.

And okaaaay... I spent way too much time on this post. Pretend I said this in like, three separate posts. v_v

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #974 on: March 30, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
that's what ur using photoshop for now??? make me some avies(and burly AIvan's XD)now! XD

plus as soon as yajiume went away so did my berryz and c-ute obestion^^;

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #975 on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:58 PM »
^ You can make awesome avvies yourself, so you don't need me to make avvies for you. :P

Ah, YajiUme. I didn't read very much of it so I didn't get too attached but since both of them are in C-ute, why your Berryz obsession too? Also, they don't have to be gone if people still write them. :) I like that fanfic-wise, the kids are still pretty 'fresh' characters. Not too much has been established as a default characteristic.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #976 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »
@Kuji: You know, that chart you made makes me want to write something to totally prove you wrong. XDDDDD No offense. ^^; But I have seen really sweet ReinAi that don't fit into the majority of the attributes you've given them (often written in Chinese! hence why I lurk there). But yeah, the English fandom has its own quirks when it comes to characteristics and dynamics. It's becoming a cliche, and it's hard to break out of it.

...Though I would argue I made up a lot of the ReinAi angst cliche because of my tendency to emo everything up. :lol: I do believe I created the angsty!Ai image about two years ago. >_> My bad...

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #977 on: March 30, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
@ Nine- XD Yes, I did say that. Don't hurt me! *ducks for cover* It's just what I see in my fanfics. I don't think I have much to say about you mentioning they're boring by already being together and the happily married couple. >.> I think I kind of wrote TakaGaki like that in TTCL. ^^; They are also like a side couple since TanaKamei is the main focus in that fic also.  :lol:

I don't mind angst ReinAi. It's really interesting to stir emotions up once in a while. lol nice chart Nine. Did you make it yourself to get people away from liking ReinAi?  :P

I agree with you on character growth. I like fics that focus on that as well. I also do enjoy AU fics. I used to write them a lot, but I stopped and settled for fics that are realistic. I enjoy rare pairings as well, though I'm not a Berryz C-ute fan. So I won't read fics like those and well I did try to write one before. ^^; It wasn't that good since I don't know them that well so I stopped with that. 

@rnd- lol don't worry about the TakaGaki fics you write. I still enjoy reading them. ^_^ Also, the way you write them I like it. I just don't like how new writers pull out TakaGaki probably just to get readers.

Offline Kuji

• ecchi
  • Member+
    • amqersand
« Reply #978 on: March 30, 2010, 07:19:40 PM »
@Estrea: Go with that feeling! :thumbup *cough* Then again, that the proof has to be created says something. Objection to falsified evidence! :lol: I did put below the chart that I pulled it out my thumb though, I really just wanted to make a chart. I thought it'd be funny. o.o; Besides, for every rule there is an exception, so I like to believe that very few things are absolute but to have to qualify every statement with "except..." would make my posts very long... and I'm sure you'll agree that they're long enough as it is.

Ah you make me feel ashamed to be Chinese since my reading ability in that language sucks. v_v *stares at Chinese textbook* Dusty. But yes, English forum, English based nonsense chart. That's the way I roll. :P Oh but yes, cliches. Bad!

As for the invention of angsty!Ai... she would have happened anyhow. It's in the nature of fic writers to make characters angst. XD People write angsty!Pikachu.

@Issa: I shall quote myself in answer:
Definitely it's all subjective and about what you personally prefer. The dynamics of the two couples are very different and so make for very different stories.
So, no trying to get people away from liking ReinAi. People like what they like. It's cool. :D (but yes! I made it myself and I'm sort of proud it looks decent. rofl.)

The usual, common, prevalent, oft-seen and usual attributes of the two pairings are very different was my point. Not that one can't be fluffy and one can't be angsty. ...I knew I shouldn't have maxed out any of the attributes. :doh: Or I should have put numbers in... so people can see that it's not 100% angst/domestic bliss but a value... of which it can go over but the chart won't show if it does. Overflow.

Okay. I'm done.
/ramble

...but maybe I'll update my chart. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:25:16 PM by Kuji »

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #979 on: March 30, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
@Kuji: Angst!Pikachu?! Augh. XD The horror of that...

I've observed interesting things about both ReinAi and TakaGaki in common: in both cases, Ai rarely talks about herself. XD We get the impression that Risa talks to Ai (and Ai doesn't pay attention :lol: ), and while Ai talks about stuff that interests her, she seems to no longer expect people around her to get it. XD With Reina, well, we all know Reina likes to talk (though I argue that Ai pays more attention to her). TakaGaki tends to communicate without words; ReinAi have conversations. Different modes of communication, but well...they seem to work? But in both cases Ai rarely seems to reach out; she reacts instead of initiating...it's hard to explain. She interacts differently, that's for sure.

You can tell I'm an Ai!geek. :lol: I also find it fascinating that she randomly calls up Ayaya to talk about things and confide in her. Maybe someone should write an Ai/Aya?! *looks around shiftily*

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Juice=Juice - Otona no Jijou