JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Identity

Author Topic: [Movie] Thirst  (Read 4550 times)

Offline champloofan

• ecchi
  • Member+
[Movie] Thirst
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:13:58 AM »
From the director of Oldboy, Chan-wook Park, comes Thirst. Starring one of Korea's best actors imo, Song Kang-ho (The Host, Joint Security Area, etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst_(2009_film)
It tells the story of a priest who is in love with his friend’s wife turning into a vampire through a failed medical experiment.

It releases April 31st in South Korea, so it might be a couple of months before we get a chance to see this. :(

Check out the trailer!
korea movie ... thirst
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:13:16 AM by champloofan »
be all you can be

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [K-movie] Thirst
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:22:29 AM »
GJ! I was gonna post a thread earlier but then I got drunk and forgot XD

Park Chan-wook's Vampire Film Thirst Gets Extra US Funding

Park Chan-wook, the Korean director known for the Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance trilogy, is hard at work on his next film, a vampire flick titled Thirst. Focus Features and Universal have announced today that they will finance and distribute the film, making this the first time that Chan-wook has actually ever received US funding. The story in Thirst surrounds a priest who participates in a medical experiment to find a cure for a deadly disease with traumatic repercussions - which we can only assume have something to do with vampires. The film is currently shooting and is expected to be ready by mid-2009, where it'll most likely hit film festivals before arriving in theaters.

"First, this is a vote of confidence in CJ and director Park, but also having a film of this scale get the backing of a major studio in North America opens up an opportunity for all Korean films," said Katharine Kim of CJ Entertainment, the Korean production company currently developing the film. "Park Chan-wook is one of the most talented and influential Korean directors working today." If anyone has ever seen Oldboy or Lady Vengeance, they'll know that certainly is true. I might even be so bold as to call Park Chan-wook a visionary. I've been anxious to hear about his next project, since the sci-fi comedy I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK never really hit it big and I've been hoping he'd go back to the more dark and intense world again.

Thirst stars Song Kang-ho (from The Host and The Good the Bad and the Weird), Shin Ha-kyun (from Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance), and Kim Ok-bi (from Dasepo Naughty Girls) as the leading lady. It's apparently being pitched as a love story with horror and drama. I never actually saw I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK, so I can't say whether or not that was good, but I'm a fan of Chan-wook's other films and I'm actually quite interested in Thirst. The fact that a big Hollywood studio is investing in it means that this is probably pretty damn good. I've written about the vampire trend before, which I don't really have a problem with, but it seems like Thirst will be one of the most original takes.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/09/11/park-chan-wooks-vampire-film-thirst-gets-extra-us-funding/

My fav Korean director collaborating with my fav Korean actor :twothumbs

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
Park Chan-wook's Thirst is a Blood-Drenched Vampire Thriller?

Vengeance trilogy director Park Chan-wook returns to Cannes this year with his newest vampire film Thirst, starring The Host's Song Kang-ho. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, but because I don't see it until tomorrow (Thursday), we've got to resort to pulling quotes from Reuters (via The Playlist) for the early buzz. They're already calling it a "blood-drenched thriller" along the lines of Park's past work, which often questions "human nature through scenes of shocking violence and dark humor." Also since I don't have the opportunity to talk with Park Chan-wook either, they have some great quotes from the filmmaker.

"I wanted to make audiences more conscious of the moral aspects of choices, whether large or small, by presenting a once-in-a-lifetime, life-or-death decision and exaggerating it to the extremes," Park said. "Many of South Korea's modern films do not dodge, but squarely confront, moral questions that other films in other countries tend to see as anachronistic." It's for this reason especially that I can't wait to see Thirst, especially being a fan of Park's Vengeance trilogy. We previously posted an early teaser trailer, but at this point I'm trying to just go in as unaware as possible, so that I may be able to enjoy it so much more.

And speaking of vampires, considering they're quite popularity in cinema at the moment (e.g. Twilight), why did Park choose to tackle that subject? "I thought I could add some changes to this old genre by approaching the subject — vampire-ism, so to speak — without the usual mystery or romanticism but from a realistic perspective where being a vampire is sort of a disease," Park said. That's a rather interesting approach to the genre and I'm very curious to see how it'll work in the context of his film. I'll be providing a quick reaction tomorrow afternoon once I get to finally see Park Chan-wook's latest, so stay tuned!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/13/park-chan-wooks-thirst-is-a-blood-drenched-vampire-thriller/

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »
Korean vampires eh?? All that whitening cream paid off.

But shit man! Mad props. More Asian cinema at Cannes!

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »
^
speaking of Cannes and if anyone is interested, the "Thirst"'s Press Kit for Cannes is available here :
http://www.festival-cannes.com/assets/Image/Direct/028931.pdf

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 02:17:02 AM »
I need to see this. Saw the trailer with the translation a while back and it seemed sick as hell. I didn't even realize it was Song Kang-ho till now. Make me even more excited.

Seems like a world wide movement towards vampire movies lately with Twilight, Let the Right One In and this one. :lol:

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:49:33 AM »
I'd probably be more excited if it wasn't for twilight. XD

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »
Ah, thanks for that champloo, it looks like it's gonna be showing here in austin, I cant wait!  I'll be going this weekend for sure!

Offline borly

Re: [Movie] Thirst
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »
Kim Ok-bin's acting was just mesmerizing.  She truly deserves all the awards she got for that role.  :thumbup

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shiina Ringo - Identity