JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Secret - Bastard

Author Topic: The Official Rap Thread  (Read 669861 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The Official Rap Thread (NEW WU-TANG ALBUM 2007 | DL Puffy Victory last pg)
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2006, 09:06:25 AM »
"With fans and rappers alike complaining about how New York has lost its stronghold over the game, it seems like there’s no better time to drop a follow-up to a classic that helped define an era long-gone. Raekwon is about take it there going full circle to create Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 and is fully aware of what’s riding on this decision. Due for a spring release, Rae says it’s 97% done—with 103% to put on top of it—and will help re-vamp the Wu-Tang Movement.

While the jury’s still out as to whether Dr. Dre or Ghostface will contribute, Rae has his reasons for maintaining secrets. Raekwon tells AllHipHop.com about the album-in-the-making, as well as his reaction to the last two, ill received works. Raekwon may be a man without rhyme books, but he’s got lots of thoughts.You were warned the first time around that the Chef would be cooking up all types of marvelous things …

AllHipHop.com: Where’d you get the idea to come out with [Only Built 4 Cuban Linx as] a purple tape? I thought it was a defect when I got mine.

Raekwon: Only because being that we from the block, we was finagling in certain situations where the things that you was dealing with had to be separated from what everybody else was dealing with. I always ran with that as one of my traits in anything I do to separate myself from others. Back when we used to sling and do what we do, we would have certain color caps [to viles]. Certain color caps resembled certain people that were doing s**t different than everybody else. It’s like, “Yo, this is our color. Anybody step on this color, you got an issue at that time.” So I decided with my music, this is my world—this is my thing and I wanna put a color on it just so everybody will know. That’s how the purple tape even came in existence. I think I had wanted a red one at first and then I thought how somebody else had did it already. I made it like that specifically….

AllHipHop.com: I don’t think tapes are still made now so are you going to do something similar with Cuban Linx 2, even though it’s probably going to only be on CD?

Raekwon: We definitely want to keep it in the same formula, the same brand-style of it, because people respected that. But now, like you said, nobody don’t really handle tapes—I don’t even think they make tapes no more. So, trust me—if they made tapes, we would do it again. But I’m really shooting for the CD to be purple because this is a traditional thing.

AllHipHop.com: There was something of a storyline in Linx, especially in the beginning with you and Ghost trying to get out of the game after one last run. Is there going to be anything like that this time?

Raekwon: When we had did that, we did that only according to how we were rhyming at that time. A storyline just came in like that because we like to talk on our albums, we like to make people laugh. It was just showing you some hustling n***as with big dreams but they just ain’t got no money yet. This one would definitely fit that criterion to a degree, but at the same time, now we on. The album is definitely gonna have that feeling and that talk that everybody like to hear.

AllHipHop.com: Yeah, the Wu interludes are infamous.

Raekwon: When you listen to Wu albums, we always gotta have some kind of funny s**t on there because to me that makes an album. See, one thing people gotta remember too is that we make albums. We don’t just put ten songs together—we try to make you throw the CD in and don’t touch that motherf**er for the next hour and a half.

AllHipHop.com: There’s been speculation as to whether Ghost is going to be on the album like how he was before?

Raekwon: That right there, I wanna surprise people. We’re not gonna rewrite the whole me and Ghost theory. But Ghost will be on the project, though. He already put his word, and he takes it very seriously. We don’t know what’s going to happen right now. I ain’t gonna sit here and say yeah he’s gonna be all over it. And I ain’t gonna say that he’s not gonna be on it. I know what it is, but I want y’all to still be in suspense. It’s like going to the movies; you can’t tell everybody everything.

AllHipHop.com: non-Wu guests?

Raekwon: I may have one special guest, or if not one, I’ll say two and we outta there. On the last one it was just Nas on it, so on this one it may be somebody else that we all really love and respect like that. And it might be somebody that you would never think, either. He might not even be from New York. All I’m saying is that I can’t bite off but too much on this album.

AllHipHop.com: It’s also good timing because people in New York are hungering for the spot back in Hip-Hop.

Raekwon: This is the season for the hard s**t. Hip-Hop seems like it’s going back in that direction—at least New York Hip-Hop. New York is the backbone of Hip-Hop. We the rough edge, the underworld of the conceptual ideas and things that go on in Hip-Hop.

AllHipHop.com: So, people have been waiting for this like you said, but now what about the pressure that comes with trying to do a Part 2 to such a classic album?

Raekwon: I mean, to me, it’s nothing. I just look at it like this: “Rae, you at your best with your rhyming game, you got a good ear for music, for beats and all that, so just knit it as if you was a sewer and you was sewing. The bottom line is to just tear it up.” I got a lot of fans that believe in me and know what I do, so I really try not to sit there and worry about if it’s gonna be better or if it’s gonna be worse [than Cuban Linx].

AllHipHop.com: Where do you get ideas of rhymes? Are you in the booth coming up with stuff or are you all the time just writing down…

Raekwon: No. See, one thing about me, the kind of MC that I am, I’m more or less an MC who vibes off of feeling and music. I’m not the type of MC that just be sitting around writing all day and having stacks of books. Raekwon the Chef never ever owned a [rhyme] book! If anything I owned a bunch of papers or folders, but I’ll write on anything—paper cups, plastic plates, pizza boxes—anything just to get it out real quick. I never owned a book, so I think that was one my gifts. Just to do it like that.

AllHipHop.com: There is a whole specific language, a hierarchy, and a movement to the Wu-Tang Clan. That seems similar to what the Diplomats are doing. However, you guys seemed grounded on the 5 Percent knowledge…

Raekwon: Everybody in the game got a piece of something that we said or that we did, and that’s respect. I got a lot of respect for a lot of teams that play the field, ‘cause it came from the field. By us having the 5% knowledge that we have, people should have took more of that into consideration. When we come across positive or come across emotional in our rhymes, it’s not because we tried to go somewhere else; it’s just because this is what our duty is supposed to be. You listen to a lot of dudes, and all they talk about is guns and coke and your kids is listening to that. At least out of the Wu, you could get that—cause we know that, we been there and done that—but at the same time, we could give you more. I think a lot of people weren’t ready to accept somebody constantly telling them, “I’m teaching you.”

AllHipHop.com: The Internet and bloggers play a major role in criticism and reacting to albums. What’s your opinion on the advancement?

Raekwon: The internet is a killer, too. If you sit there and let that control you… oh, man—it’ll f**k you over. When I did my album, Immobilarity, that was the first time I had the heart to do an album alone. I never did an album before; I was always team-playing and being a soldier and standing in line. So when I did that, I felt good about the album, I felt like as a real dude and as a consumer and a critic, I don’t feel I let anybody down. I was rhyming on there. The beats wasn’t all RZA, but that don’t mean that the beat wasn’t sounding good. When you deal with certain dudes in the business, [it’s only natural] you look for more growth out of them. Like in my hood, n***as say they dion’t really like Nas’ [Street’s Disciple], but they like Nas. So they could respect it, but they didn’t necessarily have to like it. I have dudes come up to me like, “Yo, they slept on Lex Diamond, [because it] ain’t get no marketing.” And it’s cool, but it makes you think about where Hip-Hop is headed.

AllHipHop.com: Where is that?

Raekwon: I think it will come around and be a time where everybody start looking at each individual for what it is. It’s just about having the right people really understanding what the verse is about. You got a younger generation that don’t know nothing about what you did. All you know is you keep hearing a bunch of people talking about Cuban Linx this and next thing you know, they wanna be biased of whatever else you may have to offer.

AllHipHop.com: Did you take the criticism to heart, that you received on Immobilarity and The Lex Diamond Story?

Raekwon: I ain’t gonna front - I was a little discouraged at the fact that nobody didn’t understand the fact that Rae did it on his own this time. But on the same note, you can never please everybody. I get a lot of love in the street. I try to keep a balance in my own head. But what does hurt me is when people say, “Yo, I never heard it.” How you ain’t hear it? If you a big fan of me… All you can do is look at that individual for what he’s done and give him the gratification he deserves, when it’s time to give it to him.

AllHipHop.com: That moment is projected to arrive with Cuban Linx 2. How do you feel about the potential impact?

Raekwon: I feel like it’s gonna bring dudes to a turning level of their careers. I think sometimes when we do get together and we work on something that’s such a high velocity of what people want, it kind of makes us stronger, better to knock it out. But when we do it, we do it with ease; it’s nothing to it, it’s just really more or less about that production. When you playing with a person like RZA, you gotta know everything about RZA before you even try to act like you accept what he’s doing, or don’t accept it. You gotta know the kind of producer he is; he’s not your Kanye, he’s not your Premier, he’s RZA. He’s really the Abbott. We named him the Abbott for a reason because his style—his s**t is so much advanced on music and just sound period, [and that] one of his mentors is Marley Marl.

AllHipHop.com: So Marley influenced RZA. Who would you say influenced you?

Raekwon: I grew up in the 80s listening to all that and you had cats like Rakim, Slick Rick and Kane…Biz, G Rap, even Kurtis Blow to a degree with some of the things he was saying and doing back then."

http://www.allhiphop.com/features/?ID=1327

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2006, 09:16:39 AM »
Oh man! I wanna cop Rae + Ghost's new shit ASAP. fuck the rest! U-God has lots to prove ... but best believe Wu is gonna come back stronger than before!

And yo. I went to get Kardinal Offishall's autograph Friday so glad he be touring (spring he said) cuz he hasn't had time to promote his CD with that GD reality show he's doing. judge for future VJs.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:22 PM »
Nas On 'Partnering With' Jay-Z: 'I'm Ready To Go — I'm Ready To Kick Ass'

"Simply put, Nas and Jay-Z together are a "threat."

That's how the Queensbridge rhyme savant explains some of his peers' criticism of his signing to the Jay-Z-led Def Jam label. Since the deal was announced, MCs such as Fat Joe, Cam'ron and

"I'm one of the most crucified artists in the game, thank you! This is what challenges me, what makes me go on." — Nas

50 Cent have publicly questioned how Nas could sign with a onetime foe who had an affair with the mother of his daughter and talked about it on wax (see "Jay-Z Calls Cam's Dis Track 'Trash' And A Cry For Attention").

"That would be small-minded," Nas said recently while sitting next to Jay. "That's what I want people to understand. Me coming over to Def Jam, I'm bringing something to the table. I'm equivalent to any of the artists that are there. I'm ready to go — I'm ready to kick ass.

"The movement is bigger than what someone says about Nas for the moment," he added. "I've always had someone say something about me. I'm one of the most crucified artists in the game, thank you! This is what challenges me, what makes me go on. When people have negative things to say, it's all good."

"We're thinking bigger than what was said on the record," Jay added. "We're thinking bigger than what people perceive this as. We're thinking as responsible, grown men. I know that's not popular, especially in the state of hip-hop right now, but that's what it is. We've been chosen as leaders. We have to lead. We can't follow people's perception of what this union is. I didn't sign Nas, I partnered with Nas. You can't sign an artist of Nas' stature, you can only partner with him."

As Nas' new partner, Jay definitely wants to give his input on God's Son's Def Jam debut, a project both MCs feel could be Nas' best album ever. Hov wants to surround Nas with a circle of top-ranking talent; he'd also like to see the usually reclusive Nas out at the clubs a lot more than he has been in years, just to hear what's going on and vibe.

"A lot of folks don't really know what it takes to put your heart and soul into this thing and work it out there," Nas said. "To go out there and put your face in the public eye. I personally don't like a lot of limelight. It comes with the territory."

Nas said that production on his album has already begun.

"It's starting now," he said. "I'm really excited about it. I'm listening to Hot 97, [Power] 105. I'm listening to stations in Atlanta, I'm listening to XM Radio. I'm doing the research on the whole thing, and I'm real excited about this move. Coming from my last record with 'Bridging the Gap,' the joint with my dad, I knew I went left, so I couldn't wait to come back" (see "Family Affair: Nas Gets Down With Jazz-Musician Dad In New Video").

"I knew whatever I did next would be a colossal movement," he added. "Now I have everything I need to push me to make the best album I ever made."

Will the new music being generated by Nas inspire Jay-Z to put out his own LP this year? Although he hasn't totally ruled it out, Jigga is still saying no — as of now. For his part, Nas says Hov should definitely put out at least one more record.

"Personally, Jay, I feel like you gotta come back out," Nas said, turning toward Jay and addressing him. "That's just me. Because if me and him don't [keep putting out music], you leave a lot of people out there that's like, 'What's going on?' "

There is no release date on the new Nas album, but he and Hov say to expect it sometime this fall."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1524319/02142006/jay_z.jhtml?headlines=true

MTV All Eyes on Jay-Z & Nas

http://rapidshare.de/files/13583463/jayzandnas.wmv.html

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 01:14:24 PM »
My all time favorite mc has finally signed a deal! :w00t:

Pharoahe Monch Album On The Way Via New Deal With Steve Rifkind's New Label

Pharoahe Monch has joined forces with Loud Records/SRC founder Steve Rifkind to release Monch's first album since his 1999 debut Internal Affairs, on Rawkus Records. Pharaohe Monch will release his highly anticipated album, Desire, on a new unnamed label Rifkind has founded and runs, after a bidding war which is also distributed by Universal. A bidding war for Pharoahe's new album was reportedly between Sony, Bad Boy and Eminem's Shady Records. Rifkind eventually signed the rapper after hearing what he dubbed "the album of the year."

"On a creative and business level, I've never been this excited," Monche said in a statement. "I've had the time to work on this album, and being a perfectionist, it's really come to fruition. It's very soulful, very gospel, a fresh, new sound for me. It shows so much growth spiritually, almost as if I'm a new artist. When I play the record for people, that's how they hear it."

Pharoahe Monch was a member of the renowned group Organized Konfusion. After releasing his critically acclaimed album Internal Affairs, label politics slowed down the rapper's career. Rawkus signed a distribution deal with MCA and later, the label was absorbed into Geffen. Monch recorded an album for Geffen but the recording was never released as the rapper attempted to free himself of the Geffen deal.

"There's an element of obvious patience, but that's just who I am," he said. "I've learned that it was best for me to wait for the best situation. Everything happens for a reason. This is my expression and creation. I know people are waiting for this album, and I respect my fans enough to put out quality music." The first single from the album will be the white labeled "When the Gun Draws," which will be accompanied by a short film. "It's a concept record," said the rapper. "About life from the perspective of a bullet." The first commercial single will be "Push." No release date was available for the album as of press time.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5391

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2006, 08:08:30 AM »
Jay Dee's last days

The untold story of the noted Detroit hip-hop producer's drive to make music in the face of life-threatening illness

February 23, 2006

BY KELLEY L. CARTER

FREE PRESS MUSIC WRITER

It was near the end of summer 2005, and James Yancey was sitting in a hospital bed at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles.

He couldn't walk. He could barely talk. And after spending most of the winter and spring in the hospital, receiving treatment for a rare, life-threatening blood disease and other complications, he had been re-admitted.

His body was killing him, and little could be done about it.

It was a grim prognosis, but it wasn't deterring him from tinkering with his electronic drum machine.

In the sterile white hospital room, the tools of his trade surrounded him: turntables, headphones, crates of records, a sampler, his drum machine and a computer, stuff his mother and friends from L.A.-based record label Stones Throw had lugged to his hospital room. Sometimes his doctor would listen to the beats through Yancey's headphones, getting a hip-hop education from one of the best in the business.

Yancey tampered with his equipment until his hands swelled so much he could barely move them. When the pain was too intense, he'd take a break. His mother massaged his fingertips until the bones stopped aching.

Then he'd go back to work. Sometimes he'd wake her up in the middle of the night, asking to be moved from his bed to a nearby reclining chair so he could layer more hard-hitting beats atop spacey synths or other sampled sounds, his creations stored on computer. Yancey told his doctor he was proud of the work, and that all he wanted to do was finish the album.

Before September ended, he'd completed all but two songs for "Donuts," a disc that hit stores on Feb. 7, his 32nd birthday.

Three days after its release, he died.

Yancey, better known as Jay Dee or J Dilla, is acknowledged as the father of the Detroit hip-hop sound. Some people call him a creative genius, and his streetwise but soulful and musically tight production style influenced some of the world's biggest rap and R&B stars, from Kanye West to Janet Jackson to Erykah Badu, many of whom he worked with.

He was a champion of Detroit's urban music scene, and in the mid-'90s, when hip-hop was dominated by the East and West coasts, he put a distinct Motor City sound on the national map -- and provided inspiration to then-unknowns like Eminem, D12 and his own group, Slum Village.

As his reputation rose, he persisted with his distinct connection to the musical underground, serving as a sort-of people's champion of the non-commercial hip-hop scene.

Just as he was poised for even greater fame, he got sick -- a medical odyssey that would put him in and out of hospitals for the better part of four years, racking up staggering medical bills.

The instigator was a rare and incurable blood disease, but the complications were many, including recurring kidney failure, severe blood-sugar swings, immune system issues, heart trouble and what might have been lupus.

While rumors swirled in hip-hop circles that he was sick, the extent -- and specifics -- of his health concerns were largely kept secret. Yancey was not the type who wanted others to know about his problems. Even some of his closest friends didn't know what he did: Death was soon coming.

Since his death, fans have gathered to mourn his passing and celebrate his legacy, a mood that will continue today at a public Detroit memorial service. And for the first time, those who saw Yancey's struggles first-hand, including his mother and doctor, are talking about his final days.

January 2002: Something's wrong

Yancey first realized something was wrong in January 2002 after coming back from a gig in Europe, two years after Slum Village's first national release, "Fantastic Vol. 2." Instead of going to his home in Clinton Township, he went to his parents' house on Detroit's east side, complaining that he had a cold or the flu.

It was unusual behavior. Even as a kid he'd liked his privacy, but that night he needed to be with his mother, Maureen Yancey, hoping that she could somehow make it all better.

He was sick to his stomach. He had chills. And after he lay down, he said he felt worse.

His mother took him to the emergency room at Bon Secours Hospital in Grosse Pointe. His blood platelet count was below 10. It should have been between 140 and 180. Doctors told his mother they were surprised that he was still walking around.

Soon, a specialist from Harper Hospital would diagnose a thrombotic thrombocytopenic pura or TTP, a rare blood disease that causes a low platelet count. Abnormal cells were eating away the good cells. Doctors told him there was no cure or direct treatment.

Yancey stayed in the hospital for about a month and a half. Within weeks he had to go back for the same thing -- a trend that would continue for more than four years.

Despite the looming health problems, Yancey moved to L.A. about two years after he was diagnosed, determined to make music. Some things went well, including a musical collaboration and friendship with the rapper Common, who became his roommate. But he began to feel worse, and he met with a blood specialist who told him that in order to live, he'd have to endure medications and hospital treatments.

In November 2004, Yancey called his mother and asked if she'd come out to L.A. to help take care of him.

Disease leads to kidney failure

Yancey went into the hospital shortly after his mom arrived, and he stayed until March 2005. His mother, who slept at the hospital, never left his side. She began to take the reins of her son's health issues, which included mounting bills.

He had to take anti-immune and anti-inflammation steroids. A medication designed to suppress his immune system gave him high blood sugar, and he was taken off it.

The TTP also led to kidney failure. His kidneys would shut down, spring back, shut down again. The three-times-a-week, four-hour dialysis treatments were sometimes so painful he had to be unhooked from the machine.

Because he was lying in bed for long periods, his legs swelled, making it difficult to walk. He needed a wheelchair or a walker or cane -- the latter he used when he could get out to the music store to look for records, or to a nearby fruit market to get juice or a 7-Eleven Slurpee, a treat. Sometimes he would forget how to swallow and would have to relearn. He lost 50% of his weight.

"A lot of times, just when we would get ready to get going, he would get sick again," Maureen Yancey said. "He was so tired of going back. It was very sedentary. Just watching him, it was sad at times. He couldn't do what he wanted to."

In 2005, weeks before his 31st birthday, doctors diagnosed something that looked like lupus, a chronic inflammatory disease that can affect the skin, joints, blood and kidneys. His doctor said it was probably what contributed to the low platelet count and the frequent swelling and pain in his hands.

Sure, those long hospital stays had plenty of undesirable consequences. But it was the inability to touch the music, to pick it out of records bins, twist it and create it, that made those long stays feel never-ending.

The hospital bills mount

Even though he had insurance through the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists, the cost to keep Yancey alive was steep, and he had to pay much of it himself.

Bills for the lengthy hospital stays topped $200,000 each time. Dialysis three times a week cost $1,800. Each once-a-week shot to raise his hemoglobin cost $1,800. He had dozens of prescriptions -- $700, $900 or even $2,000 out of pocket per bottle. He had large co-pays -- one was $6,700 a week -- because he had to see specialists.

His mother, who today gets medical invoices almost daily, has yet to total up the costs. His plan was to make more music -- he had a project lined up with Will Smith -- to pay the bills and leave money to take care of his Detroit-based daughters, Ja-mya Yancey, 4, and Ty-monet Whitlow, 5.

To pay the bills, Maureen says, she'll work the rest of her life if she has to.

A Detroit friend steps in

Mike Buchanan, better known as DJ House Shoes, first met Yancey in the mid-'90s at Street Corner Music in Beverly Hills. House Shoes worked there and Yancey was a wanna-be music producer on the hunt for albums.

After Yancey moved to L.A., their friendship waned. In early 2005, House Shoes heard the rumor that Yancey was in a coma and might not pull through. He booked a flight to L.A. and packed a bunch of CDs -- random beats CDs, a mix-tape CD that House Shoes had recently released and anything else he thought Yancey would want to hear.

He stayed a week, spending every day in the hospital with him.

His friend looked different -- he was smaller and quieter. House Shoes struggled, not wanting to pry too much about the details of his friend's illness.

"I poker-faced it," House Shoes would say a year later. "It was hard as hell."

At his hospitalized birthday celebration, Yancey got cake -- chocolate, his favorite -- from one of his record labels, Stones Throw. He also got a baseball jersey decorated with Detroit street signs.

Then there was a private gift.

House Shoes called about 35 people in Detroit -- some who knew Yancey and others who'd never met him but appreciated his contributions to hip-hop. He had them leave birthday and get-well greetings on his voice mail.

"Man, listen to this crazy message this girl left me," House Shoes said, bringing his cell phone closer to Yancey's ear.

Then he let them play. All 35 messages. There in his hospital bed, Yancey broke down and cried.

Yancey hides his condition

Yancey kept quiet about how bad things really were.

After that early 2005 stint at the hospital -- the one that prompted hip-hop message boards to report he was in a coma -- he granted an interview to hip-hop magazine XXL for its June edition.

In the interview, he denied that he was comatose, and said that he had gotten sick overseas. "As soon as I got back," he told the magazine, "I had the flu or something, and I had to check myself into the hospital. Then they find out I had a ruptured kidney and was malnourished from not eatin' the right kinda food. It was something real simple, but it ended with me being in the hospital."

Only his doctor and his mother knew how bad it really was.

Detroit rapper Proof, like many of Yancey's friends, never wanted to push it.

"We never really got into the sickness thing. I would be like 'How you doing?' He would be like 'Better,' " Proof said.

The Bible provides comfort

Yancey became more spiritual in the last year of his life.

He and his mother studied the story of Job, which tackles the question of why innocent people suffer, and which biblical scholars interpret to be about faith and patience.

"For God maketh my heart soft, and the Almighty troubleth me: because I was not cut off before the darkness, neither hath he covered the darkness from my face."

His doctor said he had come to terms with illness.

"He didn't want to be a professional patient," said Dr. Aron Bick, Yancey's L.A.-based hematologist, who also is an oncologist. "The treatment was difficult because he would not want to go to the hospital. He was very intelligent. He said, 'I hear you, doc. But here are my decisions about my own life.'

"I admired that on a human level. He got the medical care he needed. He really did not let his medical situation handicap his life. To him, life came first. He made peace with himself before we even knew it. And then he made peace with his mom."

On his 32nd birthday, Yancey spent the day at his L.A. home.

Roommate Common bought him a birthday cake, chocolate, of course. DJ Peanut Butter Wolf and Madlib, friends from hip-hop's underground, came over with a cake in the shape of a chocolate doughnut, to honor the "Donuts" album, which was released that day.

Their visit was brief, because Yancey felt uncomfortable with people seeing him that way.

They left the cake at the door. Yancey had a small piece. It was all his aching stomach could take.

It hadn't quite been a month since he'd left the hospital, and he'd just learned how to swallow again. Because his voice wasn't strong, he sometimes refused to open his mouth. He was shuffling around his home with a walker -- he'd gotten rid of the wheelchair weeks before.

"At that point I really felt like something was wrong, more so than ever," said Peanut Butter Wolf. "Even a few weeks before that he was in a wheelchair, but he was energetic and showing me music and showing me his equipment and talked about moving all of his equipment that's still in Detroit to L.A."

Still, in spite of the pain, he was happy. His one prayer had been answered. This was the first birthday in four years that he hadn't spent in a hospital.

'It's going to be all right'

In the last days of his life, as he shuffled up and down the hallway, he had heart-to-heart chats with his mother. They were quick. But they were thoughtful.

"You know I love you, right?" he said. "And I appreciate everything you've ever done for me."

"You don't have to say that," she said.

He and his mother had developed a ritual that preceded medical procedures: They'd slap high-fives, an indication that everything was going to be OK.

At home, the day after his birthday, he held his hand up for his mom to meet it in midair.

She was puzzled. There was no procedure that day. Why was he doing this?

He continued to motion for her to high-five him, refusing to stop until her hand met his.

Finally, she relented and gave it to him.

"That's what I'm talking about," he said. "We're in this together. It's all good. You're going to be all right. I promise you it's going to be all right."

:cry:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2006, 08:24:09 AM »
Oh man...the suffering Jay Dee went through.  :o

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2006, 04:44:35 PM »
:(
word.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »
Man  :fuckyou: to Nelly/Paul Wall. WU-TANG BE WEARING GRILLS WHEN YOU WERE STILL FLIPPING BURGERS AT MICK DICKS! :x

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2006, 04:53:01 PM »
So, i heard there's a Ghostface - Fishscale advance floating around.  Anyone hear it yet?

I heard the Whip Me - Ghostface track.  its on myspace if you haven't heard it yet.

http://myspace.com/jdilla
word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
Quote from: MochaNutz
So, i heard there's a Ghostface - Fishscale advance floating around.  Anyone hear it yet?

Hell yeah!
It's definitely my fav album of the year so far and Ghost's best album since Supreme Clientele. However I gotta admit that the most hyped tracks (The Champ & 9 Mili Bros) are kinda disappointing though.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2006, 08:23:45 AM »
Ghostface Killah adds New Track to 'Fishscale'

On the eve of his departure for tour and with mastering deadlines looming, Ghostface Killah has just emerged from the studio again, completing a last minute addition to Fishscale that may in fact prove to be the album’s second single. Entitled “Momma” and featuring Def Jam Recording’s latest signing - Brooklyn’s own Megan Rochell – the song finds Ghost bringing to life vivid tales of struggle over a soulful, sample-heavy track. With the final tracklisting now firmed up, Fishscale is set to hit stores on March 28.

And on Saturday, March 18, Ghost will jump off of his scheduled tour routing to play a very special show at South By Southwest in Austin, Texas. Headlining The Fader/Levi’s Trading Post party, Ghost will be joined by the likes of Lupe Fiasco and his new labelmate Lady Sovereign. Ghostface appears on the cover of The Fader #37, hitting stands just days before the SXSW event. An excerpt from the cover story:

"Ghost has proved himself to be a gifted comedian who doesn't just nail punchlines to prove that he's a clever wordsmith. Instead he's become an absurd situationist... Yet what most differentiates Ghost from not just his Wu compatriots, but from other rappers in general, is an honesty that can manifest itself as intense vulnerability... A complex figure has emerged."

http://www.hiphopgame.com/news.php3?id=1220

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2006, 09:26:30 AM »
Man! Lucky Texicans!!  :evil:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2006, 07:00:34 AM »
Final Tracklist of Fishscale

1. The Return Of Clyde Smith (Skit)
2. Shakey Dog
3. Kilo featuring Raekwon
4. The Champ
5. Major Operation (Skit)
6. 9 Milli Bros. featuring Wu-Tang Clan
7. Beauty Jackson
8. Heart Street Directions (Skit)
9. Columbus Exchange (Skit) / Crack Spot
10. R.A.G.U. featuring Raekwon
11. Bad Mouth Kid (Skit)
12. Whip You With A Strap
13. Back Like That featuring Ne-Yo
14. Be Easy featuring Trife
15. Clipse Of Doom featuring Trife
16. Jellyfish featuring Theodore Unit (Cappadonna, Shawn Wigs & Trife) 17. Dogs Of War featuring Raekwon & Theodore Unit (Trife, Cappadonna & Sun God)
18. Barbershop
19. Ms. Sweetwater (Skit)
20. Big Girl
21. Underwater
22. The Ironman Takeover (Skit)
23. Momma featuring Megan Rochell
24. **BONUS TRACK ** Three Bricks featuring The Notorious B.I.G. & Raekwon

Damn, so many skits  :evil:
And where's Charlie Brown? It better be on the album.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2006, 07:16:56 AM »
The 14 track one you passed to me ain't the whoe thing then? I do like the producers on this ... Fishscale could end up being the most un-Wu album ever  :lol:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2006, 08:05:59 AM »
Quote from: daigong
Fishscale could end up being the most un-Wu album ever  :lol:

Naaah, cause it has plenty of Wu-members. Ghost's previous album didn't have any Wu dudes.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2006, 02:41:49 PM »
Damn, Charlie Brown is ill.  Maybe its on the GhostDoom.  I'm for sure coppin' Fishscale, still.

off topic but on topic.  Dunno if y'all seen this yet

http://www.devilducky.com/media/42822/
Natalie Portman Gangsta Rap
word.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2006, 07:52:10 PM »
R.I.P. The Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls aka Frank White

It has been 9 years since the original King of New York died (March 9th, 1997) and naturally we will dedicate this week's HiP HoP Hizzy to the late great Christopher Wallace.

np. The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die :yep:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2006, 07:54:10 AM »
What if Biggie Never Died?

"SOHH.com got together with some of The Notorious B.I.G.'s friends and fans including Fat Joe, Junior Mafia and Lord Finesse, among others, to create the ultimate "What If Biggie Never Died?" list.

It's been nine years since the Biggie walked the Earth and his absence is most felt when looking at Hip-Hop's current landscape. Biggie was a true talent that raised the bar in Hip-Hop with the rare ability to rock any mic, any stage, any beat, and any crowd. He was blessed with skills that translated across state, cultural, and financial boundaries. Bigger than his name or frame, B.I.G. was larger than life. Imagine him here today and you can almost hear him say, "Man, things done changed!"

"His mother's heart [wouldn't be broken]." - Bonz Malone, hip-hop journalist

"People wouldn't be saying 'they're the best rappers since BIG died.'" - DJ Beverly Bond, DJ/Model

"Junior Mafia's career would have gone a whole different way, and we'd still be here together as one... one family like it was before." - Lil' Cease, Junior Mafia

"There would've been a Brooklyn Mint flagship store on 5th avenue, Notorious cologne, B.I.G.Bling watches by Jacob and Co., and Warning: The Video Game. There would have been Junior Mafia albums, volumes 2, 3, and 4; and "Ready to Live," the movie and so on and so on. " - Miss Info, hip-hop journalist

"Without competition, Jay-Z was allowed to build an empire... a monopoly, if you will. A Bad Boy label, with Biggie, would never have allowed that to happen so easily." - Adrian Vicente, fan

"Total would be back together." - Vita, Black Wall Street

"I probably would have worked with him more with Lil Kim and Junior Mafia." - Lord Finesse, DITC

"Jay-Z wouldn't have anyone to quote." - ibeblunt, SOHH

"There would more joints from my dog." - Mr. Cheeks, The Lost Boyz

"The Lox would still be signed to Bad Boy." - BK Mecca, SOHH

"Biggie and Faith celebrity makeover, just look at how incredible Fay looks now. Imagine if Hip-Hop's original royal couple had gone on some South Beach diet shit together? No disrespect to Faith's new beautiful family and her hubby Todd, but it would a been something to see." - Miss Info

"Big was the type of rapper that thrived off good music. He'd hear something hot and be determined to make something hotter. So he'd be at the top of his game right now. He lived off that energy to be the best." - Klepto, Junior Mafia

"I think the original Bad Boy roster would still be there cause Biggie was very influential on how things went down." - Kima, Total

"I'd have one more friend in the world." - Bonz Malone

"Fat Joe and Biggie would have made a Twins album. I was gonna sign to Bad Boy when Biggie died and we was going do an album together. That's when Atlantic signed me; they gave me my own label and stole me from Puff Daddy. But I would have loved to work with BIG." - Fat Joe

"If he was still here he'd be the realest n**** in Hip-Hop. Every time I saw him, he was so down-to-earth. No matter how big he was; no matter much he blew up, he'd always stop and talk with you. He was never like a catty dude. He's still the realest n**** in the game I've ever met." - Vita

"Homie would have gave people what they wanted, a whole lot of good music. Cause that's all Big was ever really about, he was a real humble dude who just wanted help out his people and make good music." - Banger, Junior Mafia

"Jay-Z and Cam'ron would have been in The Commission." - Samm Wilson, fan

"He'd see his clothing line blowing up like Puff Daddy's." - Mr. Cheeks

"I think that certain songs of his may not have been released. I think "Dead Wrong" would not have necessarily come out." - DJ Beverly Bond

"Lil Kim would still look like Lil Kim." - BK Mecca

"Shyne would have never signed to Bad Boy therefore making him a free man." - Samm Wilson

"The competition to be the King of New York would have been crazy. It would have been BIG, Jay, Nas, Jadakiss, 50 [Cent] ...Imagine what it would have looked like!" - Lord Finesse"

http://www.sohh.com/articles/article.php/8490

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2006, 08:46:13 AM »
If Biggie never died. Puffy would be nothing. He wouldn't be a mogul, he'd have no "Making The Band" no "Sean John"

RIP Biggie.  :(

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Secret - Bastard