JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Kousui

Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 17187 times)

Offline fakkuaccount

• ecchi
Dark Souls
« on: April 01, 2013, 01:01:22 AM »
did anyone buy dark souls recently. it was on the steam sale. if you did i hope you "ENJOY" the game ^^. for those of you who has finished dark souls you guys should watch DAY[9] Play it. Its hilarious. here are the vod for the first few parts.

daigong edit: link properly
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:09:23 PM by Masa »

Please come have a Visit, tons of zettai ryouiki and thigh high
http://ournobodywasheres.tumblr.com/

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Dark souls
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
I guess I should have created this topic sooner because I love Dark Souls. Probably one of the best games I've ever played, both the main game and the hard as nails DLC. I love the fact that it doesn't tell you much and leaves you to understand the game mechanics by yourself and to explore the seamless open world by yourself. There is always that sense of isolation, that fear of the unknown around every corner but with it comes the possibility of seeing something new, the challenge which you must overcome and possibly finding something that will benefit you in some way in the long run. I fully and truly embrace and cherish everything this game stands for, what it represents and I'll defend it to the earth. Is it perfect? No, the framerate can be horrible in areas, the online PvP is really laggy and sometimes the inventory management is a pain (e.g. when giving items to strengthen your bond with your covenant, you have to give them one at a time rather than pick a number and be done with it) but they are very minor things that do not take away anything from the actual quality of the game. I am hoping Dark Souls 2 retains the challenge of this while improving on those things.

A funny moment captured from Dark Souls, do not mess with Tarkus.

Offline fakkuaccount

• ecchi
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 12:14:23 AM »
The best thing about dark souls is the lore and the open world imo. when i first played it i had no idea what the game was about and how much of an asshole you( the character ) was. After i finished the game i decided to finally look up dark souls and man was the lore interesting. you can not understand the lore just by playing the game. you have to go through each item, talk to each person to figure our the lore but sadly most of the lore is speculation. hopefully dark souls 2 answer some of the speculations and keep true to its nature. But  i heard that dark souls 2 is going to be easier and not as challenging as dark souls.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:34:35 AM »
^ Well strictly speaking that is not true, they said they would go some ways to make it more 'accessible' which people have conjected to mean as making it easier, using the fact that there is a new producer working on the sequel, with Miyazaki taking a backstage role. But, that is not to say they'll make it easier, in fact the producer has gone out of his way since to reaffirm that one of the core qualities to Dark Souls is the challenge and difficulty and he's not looking to change that. By more accessible I would guess he's maybe talking about making certain game mechanics more obvious. You know yourself playing Dark Souls for the first time, you have no idea what terms like 'Humanity' or 'Reverse Hollowing' even means and it's never explained to you, so stuff like that could be explained better. Or even stuff with the Covenants, it would be nice to know in advance what I am going to get by giving away 50 humanities to a covenant leader just as a heads up before I commit. Maybe even the story telling as well, telling a direct story in the world while retaining some of the mystery? Heck even the multiplayer, why not throw in the option for co-op in there to help out other players? No doubt those of us here would gladly play that.

I think many fans would agree that stuff like the above could be handled better and that it would only go to help make a great game even better. Personally I am not worried. The Artorias of the Abyss DLC shows that From Software has a commitment to really challenge players and to challenge them in such a way that it rewards as much as it infuriates.

Still one of the best videos about Dark Souls, never fails to make me laugh :lol:

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:07 AM »
I gotta throw my hat in the Dark Souls love circle. There are some improvements that can to be made in the next game, especially on the technical end (how the hell did they think Blighttown was acceptable? :lol:) but the core formula is so compelling that stuff like that is forgotten in the long run.

This video I saw the other day got me laughing pretty good. XD "Why are you doing this?" New players are so cute. :3

Offline fakkuaccount

• ecchi
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
Dark souls 2 websie has been updated, there is a preorder button now and also if you havnt notice, no windows for game live !!! Woo

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
Not sure if those outside the UK can watch it but IGN have a 12 minute interview with the game director and with all new gameplay footage!. I'll tell you now, it looks like a Dark Souls game alright. It looks gorgeous and looks to retain all the things that made Dark Souls great. Oh lordy I can't wait. :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:21 PM »
EpicNameBro who does some good Dark Souls tutorials did a good discussion video of the reveal and interviews.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
Not sure if this is official or not, but even so I approve of the box art

Offline fakkuaccount

• ecchi
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
OMG the box art looks amazing. i hope they have a collectors edition or something along those lines.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
That's gotta be a sure thing. Demons and Dark Souls had collectors editions and with Dark Souls 2 coming at a time where the series is at it's most popular, it would be foolish of them not too. Now that is a collectors edition I will be buying.

Been struggling for a while on NG+. Was at that point where I just got the Lordvessel and I was struggling to get past Four Kings/Seath etc. But then, I just sat down and in the space of 4 hrs non stop playing, I beat the Four Kings, beat Seath, am about to fight Bed of Chaos and for the craic, managed to get the achievements for the strongest fire/magic/occult/demon/lightning weapons. I even managed to save Solaire though I made the mistake of using the only Gywn soul I had to get the weapon and not to Solaire so, saving him feels fairly pointless.. Stilll smarting at the fact that I missed out the opportunity to join the Darkwraith and Darkmoon covenants and will have to play again to get it. You know what though? I think I will. I can't imagine myself getting every achievement in the game....but.....XD

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
Anyone here play Dark Souls on PS3? If so I'm curious to know if you've encountered any issues after the latest patch? I play on 360 but I've heard that a patch on PS3 fucks up the graphics in some way, so anything that gives off light either flickers on and off or disappears entirely. It's rather odd when you see torches and that disappear but it creates a big problem for say, dropped items or your dropped souls, as those give off light and you can't find them. Like in this video:

On a different note, this is pretty funny :lol:

Offline zoolander

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
I played PS3. Haven't noticed those issues but I don't think I have connected since the patch was out. I heard the online was down for 24 hours, so maybe they were working to fix it.

I just finished my second playthrough with my vitality/endurance/strength character. It's a lot different than playing as a sorcerer. Bosses are quite a bit trickier, can't just cheese them and light them up with soul spears and homing soulmass. :sweatdrop: Also holy shit I got 3 titanite slabs on this play through farming darkwraiths in the span of like only about 5 runs. O_O So now with those and the slabs from the Stray Demon and the Catarina folk I ended up with my +15 claymore and a ton of fully upgraded gear. :thumbsup

Going back to finish NG+ now with my sorcerer and it made me feel like I'm home again :lol: with my fast light weapons and spells. Catacombs were tougher though, mostly because I kinda forgot to use a divine weapon. -____- Skeletons were swarming and killing me in 2-3 hits and patches is of course much more of an ass (since I started as a Cleric). Not to mention Gravelord Nito is one fight where it's nice to have some poise/defense.

This is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:13:56 AM by zoolander »

Offline robbe_881

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
Played dark and demon's souls. Waiting for dark souls 2 really much but march is so far away....

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
Demons Souls is tough! I'm not really a fan of the world tendency. On paper it's a great idea, having different enemies, locations open up depending on how well you play. But I like playing online and because it does a calculation to determine the median of the server, it means it will always be neutral, so it never changes. To really get the benefits, I'd have to play offline and well, dunno if I want to. There are good things about Demons Souls over Dark Souls, the steady framerate for one, but I prefer Dark Souls to be honest. That's not to say Demons is a bad game though, far from it.

. For example, did you know that the giant wheel in Blighttown is powered by a fire dog running in the center, like a hamster wheel? XD

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
New trailer! Pre order editions announced! So getting the Black Armor edition. The figurine is putting me off the Collector's one tbh. Had it been something like, I dunno, a Sunlight medal? I'd be all over it.

Some interesting facts emerging from TGS as well. Perhaps the most important in terms of gameplay, is that you can now be invaded at any time! Hollow or human! Of course there are ways to help out should you need it. You can apparently summon help from a member of the Way of the Blue covenant as you're being invaded by another player. Also, if you want to avoid invasions altogether, you can always play offline. If you really want to get poetic about it, I think it is perhaps more reflective on displaying the hollowing process of the undead. So when you're on the lowest possible level and you can't go on anymore, giving up on the game and ragequitting really means giving up and hollowing. I like it! A quote from this article

Un-life as the undead sucks in Dark Souls II. For starters, it makes you ugly. The longer you play in an undead state, the more your character's appearance degenerates. Bad enough that your skin turns green and your face becomes ugly; over time, though, your hair falls out -- and according to director Yui Taimura, even worse things than that can happen as well.

Even worse? Like loss of limbs? XD Maybe, if they wanted to be completely, horribly brutal about it they could have other stats drop if you keep dying.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »
A nice video that goes into some detail about the latest news

I love the fact that now people are complaining that it's going to be too hard! These are the same people who thought it was going to be too easy! No winning with some people. I like the sound of these changes, personally.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:31 PM »
Word of advice to anyone with a EU Plus account, the Dark Souls 2 beta is free to play this Sunday! Was gonna avoid anything about the beta and wait to see it all in game but to have the chance to play it for myself? For free? Hell yeh I'll take it. Keep in mind it's Sunday only, for the sake of 3 hours (8AM-11AM GMT), as the purpose of the test is to stress test their servers for PVP.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »

Played the early access beta this morning for EU PS Plus members. Came away impressed! It looks great, plays really well. Just feels different, can't quite place it. For those that are still worried in anyway about 'accessibility', I've died probably 9 times in the space of 40 mins. For the sake of the beta I think they've balanced it by having enemies dropping plenty of lifegems, but I imagine that when the final version comes out, it might not be as easy as that. Even if it was, I still died a whole lot!! Few notes:

- Played through to completion as the Dual Swordsman. Very interesting as it's focused purely on going on the offensive all the time. Though I could switch to a shield if things got rough. Pretty odd to have me weilding a greatsword in one hand and a shortsword on the other!
- Arrows shoot so fast now! I eventually figured out that you have to roll as soon as you hear the bow being strung otherwise you're just gonna get hit.
- The boss is essentially a combination of Nito/Pinwheel . Died once when the big 'reveal' of that boss came out but when you figure out how the boss works, it's pretty straightforward to deal with. It was only checking other people's impressions afterwards that I found out there was a second boss to deal with too! How did I miss it?!
- Having two red phantoms catching you in a pincer attack is a dick move, but I love it. Also lots of areas were able to catch me off guard as enemies were hiding round corners or you can even see archers crouching and hiding in camoflauge waiting for you to come and shoot you unawares in a trap.
- You can break the boarded up windows in one of the early indoor areas to let more natural light in the room. You can light a torch at a bonfire and carry it with you, which is handy as it's a dark area. The kind of dark where you need a torch to see properly lest you get ambushed. Carrying a torch does mean the use of your shield arm so you better be careful. Lighting in general is well done here.
- Maybe it's just an instance in this game, but shortcuts now seem to be activated by pressing X rather than hitting a wall. The X prompt seemed a bit finicky. If I just press it next to a door or something it makes it look like I'm trying to switch a weapon. Not sure if it's because I have to hold the button down now to open a door/lever?
- Tried a bit of the sorcerer. Liking the way magic works now with it's change in light/heavy versions of the spells but it isn't all that effective when you have so many enemies in that beta. Luckily there's a new item now which replenishes your magic uses by a little without having to visit a bonfire.
- Liking the new message system! You can string longer sentences now so you could have 'Beware of tough enemy ahead' but you could have 'Beware of tough enemy ahead, therefore, try rolling!' Before the small bridge leading to the fat monster with the dual scythes I had written 'Tough enemy ahead therefore backstepping!' and I got 17 likes on it :D
- I killed the tradeswoman in the starting area. Though rather than having her death be permanent, there was a tombstone which you can pray to (at the expense of 3000 souls) and she is revived as a ghost. So while you can kill NPC's, their death isn't really permanent like in the original. The only penalty now by the looks of it is that if you need to use them again, it comes at a cost of souls. Wonder the same thing happens for other NPC's too or just tradesmen.
- Wasn't able to invade someone else's world, got an error code every time and at one point a textbox was up on the screen notifying me that there were server issues and apologised for the inconvenience. Got this error message towards the end of the beta 'Thank you once again for participating in the DS2 Beta. And we are very sorry about the trouble that some players not able to participate because of our mishandling. Thus we have decided to have an extra CBT session'. So seems like an error on their side? Guess those of us that want more time to play are in luck!

Overall, I love it. Was half expecting to breeze through the beta considering I've played so much of Dark Souls already, but was pleasantly surprised to die a number of times. I came away from it wanting more, even though it kicked my ass a bunch of times, so in essence, just like the original game. Obviously there were issues with PVP, but there's plenty of time yet to sort that out. I wish I could play the whole thing now. March seems so far away.

JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Melon Kinenbi - Kousui