JPHiP Radio (21/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Local Art - Ai no Kotoba

Author Topic: Rivalry  (Read 13418 times)

Offline initial

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • T.I.N.T. state of mind
Re: Rivalry
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 04:38:01 PM »

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
I actually sense some more internal rivalry in the group now for the center position than in the platinum era.

I think the center position matters more now than it did when there was Ai and Reina. Them being in the center seemed like the natural scheme of things.

But now, I feel  something different in the group when Riho was a bit off-center in the most recent single. I think the other members have become more confident and really want to challenge Riho for that spot.

Management is clearly stirring things up in expanding the center stage to accommodate a few more people than what we're used to (1~2)

It could be that because Sayu has left that there isn't that element of that person who can stand out from anywhere. Sayu didn't need to be in the center because regardless of the fact that she isn't the most skilled among them in singing or dancing and she made her own space and stood out.

Now everyone is pretty much in the same place, just a little more skilled in some aspect compared to the others but all the factors kind of even out. I think rivalry is possible only in situations like this. I'd say rivalry was nearly impossible when Ai Takahashi was around because there's no competing with her in terms of singing and dancing skills and during Platinum Era, that was all MM could show non-hardcore fans.

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
But will this new 'emerging rivalry' breed the resentment within the group we witnessed in pre-4th-generation MM?

Sure it can spur the girls into wanting to become as skilled as Riho, Oda, Mizuki, Ayumi; but will they also develop the "I alone should be H!P's sole MoMusume, at least like how Airi dominated C-ute's SHOCK" mentality?

(Actually what I see is management moving MM away from the "Lead vocals #1 & Lead vocals #2 feat. backup dancers" of the past, where people like Junjun went through her entire stint barely singing one note)
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »
I think for 9th to 11th gen, there wouldn't be resentment, just some tension. I think it's just me but Riho's vibe when she's not in the center kinda shows how she's not the happiest to share that post. I don't think she would blame the others for it but I think it would push her even harder because it's beginning to show that she's in the center not necessarily because of her talent but because management put her there. Management could very easily put anyone else there regardless of skill or appeal.

I think putting Riho in the center was to move Morning Musume towards an image of high-dancing skills (compared to other all-girl groups). Now that MM has gotten the formation dance as their shtick, it's time for management to move toward some other aspect that they could sell the group on. Sakura is put in the center with Riho to move the group towards a more holistically talented group.

Oh look they don't just dance very well, they can sing well WHILE dancing!

Getting more people at the "center" diffuses the attention to a couple more people to move away from the Ai/Reina/whoeveriscenter is/are the center of the universe  phase of MM.

I imagine it would more likely be 9-11th gen vs 12-nth gen because 9-11th gen got MM the 5 #1 1st week sales streak. In this cycle, the Sayu-led colorful era was the era that "worked its butt off to get MM back to Music Station and all that" the same way 1st gen sold 50,000 copies of their record. I can easily imagine them seeing the succeeding gens to be usurpers and leeches to their success in reviving and revitalizing the group.

But they seem to love the group enough to not really be resentful of anyone who gets in.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: BoA - Your Color