JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Shan Shan Re Ren Ai (Glittering Arouses Love)

Author Topic: [NEWS] Comedian/TV Host Shimada Shinsuke to retire from the TV/Ent. industry  (Read 4620 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo

Not sure if anyone else here watches the Quiz: Hexagon II show or who actually knows who he is, but he's considered one of the bigger names in the circles of Japanese comedians/entertainers. He isn't a stranger to controversy, having been involved in an incident a few years ago where he was arrested and fined for physically assaulting a female co-worker, as well as for apparently being a yankii back in his youth.

This time however, it's more than just getting into a fight with someone. It has recently come to light that Shinsuke-san has connections (a friend) who has become a "gang member" (in other words, the friend has joined a Yakuza group). As a result, Shinsuke-san held a news conference yesterday where he announced his (immediate?) retirement from the J-Ent industry.

Personally, I think it's a real shame that this had to happen to him. I've become a bit of a fan of Shinsuke-san from watching him on Hexagon. In a lot of ways, it was the specific way he interacted (and teased) the other members of show (what has now become known as "the Hexagon family") that made the show fun to watch, even if I couldn't understand what they were saying.  Part of me wants TPTB to continue the shows that he hosted, yet at the same time, one can't help but know that none of them wouldn't be the same with a different host.

Shimada Shinsuke to retire from the entertainment industry due to mafia affiliations
by soysauce414 on August 23, 2011 at 11:35 am

On August 23rd, popular MC Shimada Shinsuke suddenly announced that he will be retiring from the entertainment industry. An urgent press conference was held in Tokyo, where Shimada (along with his agency president Mizutani Nobuhiro) personally made the surprising announcement.

According to Yoshimoto Creative Agency, an email exchange between Shimada and a gang member had been uncovered. When the agency questioned Shimada about it, he admitted it to be a true fact. It appears that Shimada’s friend of ten years or so became part of a gang. Still, Shimada continued to keep in contact with his friend through emails and telephone calls. On top of that, it seems that this friend also came as customer to Shimada’s restaurant.

Shimada commented, “I didn’t think that I was doing anything wrong. Personally I thought it was ’safe’, but I found out the day before yesterday that it was considered ‘out‘.” Shimada’s agency remarked, “As a person starring in many influential programs in the industry, this act cannot be tolerated.”

It was also revealed that Shimada himself brought up the idea of retiring from the industry. President Mizutani Nobuhiro of his agency  stated, “I deeply apologize to the fans and members of the media for betraying everyone’s trust and causing trouble.”

This is not the first time that Shimada has caused a big issue in the media. Back in 2004, Shimada was prosecuted for inflicting injury on one of Yoshimoto’s female managers. At the time, he was charged a fine of 300,000 yen and was put on a 2-month probation, causing him to be absent from many of his TV programs. Being such a major figure in the entertainment industry, this sudden retirement announcement has surprised many media personnel.

Shimada joined Shimada Younosuke Imaki Tayo in 1974. In 1977, he linked up with the late Matsumoto Ryusuke to become a comedy duo, who became very popular with younger generations because of their articulate style. Later on in life, he tried his hands at being a movie director and has even produced music.

Currently, Shimada is involved with several variety programs on different TV networks: ‘Gyouretsu no Dekiru Houritsu Soudanjo‘ (NihonTV), ‘Quiz Hexagon II‘ (FujiTV), ‘Kaiun! Nandemo Kantei-dan‘ (TV Tokyo), ‘Shinsuke Shachou no Produce Daisakusen‘ (TBS), and ‘Quiz! Shinsuke-kun‘ (ABC TV). It is unknown how each network will handle this dramatic piece of news.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/08/shimada-shinsuke-to-retire-from-the-entertainment-industry-due-to-mafia-affiliations/

And here is a (partial) transcript of some of the actual questions & answers from the press conference:

Questions and answers over Shinsuke Shimada's sudden retirement from showbiz

Shinsuke Shimada, a popular TV personality and comedian, suddenly announced his retirement from the entertainment industry on Aug. 23 over his close links to a member of an organized crime syndicate.

The following are questions and answers from his hastily arranged news conference:

Question: Why are you retiring?

Answer: There is a member of an organized crime syndicate who settled a personal problem for me more than 10 years ago. Someone pointed out to me that I did something wrong like exchanging text messages with the gangster. Because it was also confirmed by the company I work for (Yoshimoto Creative Agency Co.), I decided to take responsibility and retire.

Q: What kind of relationship was there between you and the gangster?

A: Because both of us realized that entertainers and gangsters must not associate with one another, we have met (only) about four or five times over the last 10 years. We last met about 4 1/4 years ago. I did not pay him any money for having settled my problem nor did I do anything that would violate the law.

Q: Did you feel guilty about having close links to the gangster?

A: When he settled my problem, I thought it was not a very good thing. But when I was ordered (by the company) to stay home to reflect on (violence against a female employee) about six years ago, he cheered me up through my friend and I felt indebted to him. I thought it was "safe," but I was told by the company it was out of order.

Q: How do you feel now?

A: I am retiring over what I should not have done, so this is an extremely embarrassing story and an ungraceful way to end my career. But I thought something like "probation" would not set a good example to my juniors, and therefore I made the heavy decision to retire. I tumbled down to a cliff from the top (of the entertainment industry). I want to become an ordinary person from tomorrow and live a quiet life.

Click here for the original Japanese story

(Mainichi Japan) August 24, 2011
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://mdn.mainichi.jp/arts/news/20110824p2a00m0na010000c.html
ORIGINAL JAPANESE ARTICLE LINK - http://mainichi.jp/enta/geinou/warai/news/20110824ddm041200159000c.html

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
He should have retired when he assaulted that woman. Also, his views on  infidelity are ridiculous.

Good riddance.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Never liked him nor the past years Hexagon became.

Offline Chivor

• Zaa Wota?
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ME BE BACK.
He. is. a. pioneer.

what a shame :/ i can see hexagon going down already.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Well, for the time being it looks like they're going ahead and continuing with Hexagon. Not sure if there was an episode last week, however an FLV rip of this week's episode has turned up on H!O tracker, with Fujimon and Tsuruno handling the main hosting duties.

http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?app=xbt&CODE=details&torrent=39484

Here's what the torrent uploader put in the torrent description. The quasi-prediction that the next ep will be the end for the show isn't encouraging. :(
Satoda and Yaguchi on the most recent episode of Hexagon. This week Fujimon and Tsuruno are the hosts, because Shinsuke retired. This is probably the best Hexagon episode since ages, it has the old Announce Quiz and Dobon Quiz and only Family members are participating in this episode. Next week Kamiji and Shinagawa will replace Fujimon and Tsuruno as the hosts. (And the Nawatobi Quiz will make its comeback!) it's not known whether Hexagon will continue after that or if it'll be the last episode. (I think there's a big chance that it'll end if I see current predictions and the ratings are declining lately).

I also added the little "kono ato sugu" intro clip from another source, because a little part of it missed in the full episode stream. Enjoy this awesome episode of Hexagon! ^__^

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Shan Shan Re Ren Ai (Glittering Arouses Love)