JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender

Author Topic: How much money do you think the SNSD girls make?  (Read 29654 times)

Offline Soju808

• ecchi
  • Member+
How much money do you think the SNSD girls make?
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
I live in Korea and have been following the Kpop industry for a while.    I heard from a lot of people that they make a reasonable amount of money, but no where near enough to be rich.   Their biggest money comes from doing advertisements and dramas.    In fact for female singers, the only two I heard that make millions are Hyori and Boa.   

I wonder how much they make a year?

Offline wiwi

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: How much money do you think the SNSD girls make?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:23:46 PM »
http://soshified.com/2012/03/girls-generations-revenue-in-three-years-exceeds-70-billion-won

but still unaccounted are individual contracts, promotions, guest starrings, etc....

i have no idea how much money they get (individually)
"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt."

Offline Soju808

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
Not surprised they made that much revenue.   I hope the girls get their fairshare of money. I know SM Town is pretty stingy when it comes to giving artists their fair share of money I remember back in the days the HOT members each got like one cent for every album they sold.  Anyways, thanks for the info.

Offline wiwi

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
yeah, most music production companies have a hard time parting from the cash that should rightfully belong to the artists, it's just a sad story of music industry (and many others of course) . Girls do most of the hard work, and they probably get paid pocket change compared to total revenues.

but I think the girls will survive heheh  :P
"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt."

Offline nb3030

• ecchi
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:46:58 AM »
Doesn't Jessica have a 2.2m house/apartment? Or was that just a false rumour?

Offline Soju808

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
Where did you hear that from?   Could be true.   
However, I've seen shows where the celebrities in Korea would show their rooms, and I have to say that my room back in the states is bigger than theirs.  I know it's Korea and people have a smaller space, but it made realize for the first time that they make no where near the amount of money artists back in the states make.

Example.  Here's a clip of Sung Yuri from FinKL (성유리 핑클) in her room.   For old time Kpop fans like me, we all remember how big FinKL used to be and I expected them to be living in mansions, but this video made me realize they were far from it.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
I think "Jessica's house" is kind of her families house and she stays there rather than the dorm when there are no schedules, same with Krystal. Her family is pretty wealthy from what I understand. I know Taeyeon and Hyoyeon bought houses for their parents in the last year or so. Jessica and Hyoyeon have pretty pricy cars too.

I wouldn't worry about SNSD, I'm sure they are compensated well. They have been close to 50% of SMs revenue the last 3 years. I'll just repeat this again.

I’ll attempt to approximate how much money the girls have made the last three years.

SM takes 30% off revenues as profit. The girls get ~25% of those profits. The exact numbers may be wrong, but I don’t think I’m far off. You can find SM’s exact % profit margin & cost structure on their income statement. So assuming the profit margin for SM entertainment is about 30%, and the girls receive the industry average, which is about 25% of the profit, and if sales = $100mm last 3yrs, then they have earned $100mm*(0.3)*(0.25)= $7.5mm from SM alone.

The girls also make money from endorsements. I don’t know exactly how many, but let’s assume 10 endorsements per year, and the contract per endorsement at $1mm, then they’d make $10mm per year, and $30mm in past three years. What’s nice about endorsements is that the girls get to keep most of the money.

Also, there are the private appearances (hang-sa’s). The girls were paid $40,000 when they performed at Hanyang University last year. They probably made more when they performed at events such as Pyeong Chang festival and Angel Price. And, there are probably many more private hang-sa events that us fans never get to hear about. So, if they appeared at about 15 hang-sa events per year, they would have made somewhere close to $2mm the past 3 years. I think this is a very conservative estimate, but they also get to keep most of this money.

Then, there are the television appearances, but the amount people make from television shows is very small. I don’t know about dramas and musicals. Also, don’t know how much they make from magazine photoshoots. So, I’m gonna just gonna ignore these.

So in sum, $7.5mm+$30mm+$2mm = ~$40mm or $4.4mm per member if you split it 9 ways.

This is just domestic and is only up to third quarter of the fiscal year 2011 (last September 31) so it wouldn't include The Boys, TTS, concerts, their Japanese sales, Western activities etc.

Unfortunately some idol groups are less fortunate. There was a BBC feature where they mentioned Rainbow make pretty much nothing when all is said and done. :(

Like you said some like BoA and Kangta were in on the ground floor when SM first went public and with the stock going up something like 8000% in the last 3 or so years they have become extremely wealthy.

Offline yooyul

• ecchi
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
The endorsement is the most profitable income for celebrities and our girls got a lot, probably the most among the idol groups! So they must be rich!! They deserve every penny they made~~

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:14:22 PM »
best not to count other peoples money. I'm sure they will be financially secure for the rest of their lives. Zoolander is right though, SNSD is in the minority of k-pop groups/stars that will actually leave the business with something to show for it. Most other groups will not be so lucky. The entertainment business is very, very unpredictable and shady to say the least.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:30:23 PM by Forthisgift »

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline trituas

• ecchi
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »
Judging from their bags, cloths, and other stuff. It has too be large amount of money, so that they can afford to carry those

Offline nb3030

• ecchi
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:01:54 AM »
They buy all that shit lol? I thought they just got it from the company to show them off.

Offline brb23

• ecchi
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 02:09:03 AM »
Their income from group activities as SNSD is probably somewhere in the 10-20% range, split nine ways, which still isn't a small amount of money. I imagine that their endorsement deals and such are probably split into a different percentage seeing as how SM doesn't have to invest anything into the project, and I believe the member involved in the solo activities splits the income with SM and keeps their part to themselves, unlike some groups who split everything evenly, even income from solo deals. Tiffany recently said that Yoona has the highest income due to solo activities, she has endorsement deals with Eider and Innisfree, starred in a drama and hosted the end of the year shows for SBS and KBS, so I would guess she has made mid six figures in the past year before adding on whatever she gets paid from SM. Because of TaeTiSeo Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun are probably doing pretty well right now, they have album sales plus a bunch of appearances and the income only needs to get split three ways. Sooyoung and Sunny are both from wealthy families, not entirely sure about the others.

This is all speculation built upon things they have said and facts, I could be very wrong.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/05/super-junior-girls-generation-reveal-the-members-who-make-the-most-money
http://www.allkpop.com/2011/12/yuri-talks-about-how-snsd-distributes-their-income

Offline Bjoernlunda

• ecchi
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
They deserve more than all those stupid american bitches who can't sing for shit!!

Offline lordshan

• ecchi
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
i think the most income for snsd not from her song/album, but from her cf..... :?

Offline sooyoungfanboy

• ecchi
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
I've read about Yoona making 3,5 million dollar first half of this year..
Of course she's done Love Rain, tons of cf's and she's still getting royalties for cd sales.
She's probably the richest in SNSD, but if she makes 3,5 million half a year, the others should at least make a million.
They're not poor you know haha, some people like to spread rumors of SM not paying them well, but they don't need to complain I guess.

Offline nearzss

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
i don't know how much they make but i think yoona make the most money in the group :D bcuz she has a lot cf

Offline luvryeo

• ecchi
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline forever9ty

• ecchi
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:59 AM »
while yoona makes 3.5mil she seemed to deny getting it in one of the recent shows :\
i'd say they make 6 figures....i have freinds that work in korea and they all get worked like 80hrs a week for around 50k pay (accountant, business, etc)
korean album sales arent that huge since korea is a small samll countryy

Offline skynet0419

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:20 PM »
a lot and they deserve every penny  :lol:

Offline saovansk

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »
at first i think they dont make much cause of sm but they're buying cars and apartments so i dont know. probably lots since they famous

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Angela Aki - Surrender