JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Ye - Night

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 998711 times)

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2880 on: October 24, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
I finished Dreamfall Chapters Book 1. It blew me away.

Now back to casually farming Behemoth Kings in FFXIII.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2881 on: October 24, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
Well....another victim of GamerGate. This time: Felicia Day. Tried to stay silent through this whole debacle. As soon as she posted her fears on GamerGate on tumblr, she got doxxed.  :smhid

Now I'm reconsidering whether to call myself a gamer or not.

Fuck GamerGate and those who use it as an excuse to victimize other people.  :thumbdown:

Doxxing an actress for speaking up on GamerGate? Do the fools know that by doing this only shines a spotlight and even further attention on what someone says and on the person herself, whilst painting the entire movement in a bad light? I've seen a few pro-GG's speak out about it (why they still think it's ok to use the tag I'll never know), but sadly the type of comment below is not uncommon:

FALSE FLAG! FALSE FLAG! IT'S ALL ABOUT ETHICS IN VIDEOGAME JOURNALISM YOU GUYS

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #2882 on: October 25, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »

Man, Gamergate... I'm sure there are/were sane people making some good arguments, but with all the, eh... death threats and harassment... that well is kind of poisoned now. Kind of hard to get anyone to take legit complaints seriously when you have these cretins among you.

This whole debacle is a perfect showcase of what Internet anonymity can provide at its worst. Oddly I have enough faith in humanity to believe that most of the people involved with the movement (originally, at least) are not trolls, misogynists or sociopaths. Although browsing comment sections sometimes makes me think otherwise. :doh:

Anyway, instead of this tired bullcrap I'mma just talk about some games I've enjoyed recently.

--

Shadowrun: Dragonfall is this really neat RPG set in the Shadowrun universe (fantasy meets cyberpunk). Great plot and tons of dialogue in a wonderful, unique game world with turn-based tactical combat sequences. There are some nifty moral dilemmas thrown at you often even though not all of your choices influence the gameplay in a major way. Still you can play a complete asshat, a do-gooder or something in between. Since the game mixes fantasy with technology, many of the concepts and plotlines feel fresh. Same goes for combat, where modern technology and spellcasting coexist and bring some nice variety. There's also a barebones cyberspace of sorts to explore with the suitable tech-savvy class. Good fun all in all.

My only complaint is that it's somewhat easy. I'm glad I read about this beforehand, so I played it on hard difficulty. I found that satisfying but not super challenging. Very hard might indeed be a real challenge, though.

Since Dragonfall is now a standalone game with the Director's Cut release, you can just skip the first game (Shadowrun Returns). The campaigns are not connected and Dragonfall (especially the director's cut version) is a vastly better experience in every way.

Speaking of great sequels, here's my GOTY so far, Legend of Grimrock 2.

It's a modernized old-school dungeon crawler with real-time combat and grid-based movement. The focus is on puzzles that range from obvious to truly nefarious. While some of the puzzles are quite straightforward, a would be a room full of pits that open and close depending on your movements in the adjacent space. You need to retrieve a key, and pull four levers in the room before you can get to the treasure on the other side. Some of the puzzles can be really difficult but they always feel fair (even the traps!). And after solving a particularly tricky one the feeling of elation is like no other. And this happens quite a lot.

Combat is also a big part of the game. It's real-time as I mentioned and also handles like a puzzle of sorts, placing emphasis in movement and awareness of your surroundings as much as dealing out different attacks and spellcasting. It can get really hectic and quite challenging to juggle potions and attacks while simultaneously side-stepping flaming projectiles and dodging monsters out to kill you. There are few things you can (or should) simply take head-on so some keyboard acrobatics are required.

If you ever played the first one, you already know what you're getting into. Thing is, LoG2 is just better than the already excellent first game in so many ways. First of all, there's a sprawling overworld that you are allowed to explore in the order you want (of course, you can get truly screwed if you enter some of the places too early). The areas and dungeons have a lot of variety with lush forests, dark cemeteries, bogs, crypts, castles and even an ancient pyramid. It's a far cry from the single claustrophobic tower of the first Grimrock. There's a better class and skill system, a crap-ton of new monsters with improved AI, all sorts of items and pretty much everything (tm).

Might not be for everyone, there's not really a plot to speak of and the mechanics of the old-school grid-based real-time action might feel awkward to some. Anyone who loved Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and the like back in the day will be right at home, though.

Here's a random quick look and a review:

Anyway, took me about 30 hours on normal to finish (with still plenty of secrets left to discover)... and I immediately started a new game on hard difficulty and with a different kind of party. I don't recommend hard difficulty for anyone playing for the first time, though. Not even if you're good, nope. It's truly hard. :sweatdrop:

--

TL;DR: Shadowrun: Dragonfall = good times.  Legend of Grimrock 2 = amazeballs.  Gamergate = please no more.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2883 on: October 28, 2014, 04:08:08 AM »
didn't realize i had $10.61 in my xbox account, so i used it to buy gta san andreas & burnout paradise  :twothumbs (both were on sale)

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2884 on: October 28, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »
25 hour maintenance on Final Fantasy 14!!! but patch 2.4 will be really exciting!! NINJA!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2885 on: October 28, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2886 on: October 28, 2014, 05:42:38 PM »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2887 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
^ I can picture the person who made that now. "Female developers, columnists, actresses have been doxxed and sent death threats but I'm the one who's oppressed and you should feel sorry for because someone wrote a mean article saying the typical gamer stereotype no longer applies in 2014, and I'm too stupid to realise that the games I don't like are being made AS WELL AS games I want, rather than INSTEAD OF. WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

For a movement that digs through someone's tweets 5 years ago in order to find a single tweet which might discredit that person, they couldn't type in the word misogamy in Google and find that it already exists? It's an amazing bit of trolling which for once they've inflicted on themselves.

I think it's safe to say that I've invested more time into the demo for Pro Evo Soccer 2015 than I have for most other games I picked up this year. Can't wait for it to come out!

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #2888 on: October 29, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

Oh hey I forgot to post these here. GEEET HYPE BITCHES, YENNEFER IN DA HOUSE.

If you've read any of the Witcher books, even just the first one, you should know shit gonna get real.

If you haven't... well shit gonna get real! Yennefer is a badass sorceress and Geralt's former lover. Well, it's more complicated than that really.

Speaking of complicated... W3 is gonna be interesting to say the least. :lol:

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2889 on: October 30, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2890 on: October 30, 2014, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2891 on: November 03, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
just bought cod advanced warfare  :D

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2892 on: November 04, 2014, 04:07:06 AM »
^me too on my XBO

Offline pootsy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2893 on: November 07, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2894 on: November 08, 2014, 12:32:18 AM »
Best Buy has sold the Assassin's Creed games for half priced here in the U.S. on Black Friday for the past few years. I'm just gonna wait to see if it will continue, and if it does I'm staying home and ordering online. I can wait for it to arrive a few days after ordering it instead of freezing my ass off in cold weather. :lol:
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2895 on: November 09, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »
I downloaded Luftrausers as it's free on PS Plus this month. Very pleasantly surprised at just how addictive it is. It's a pixel based bullethell shooter set in WW2 with a distinct art style, with simple mechanics of surviving as long as you can, with more threats added as you play like boats, battleships, jets and blimps. It's one of those "Ok, one more try" kind of games in order to beat your high score. Definitely recommended.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2896 on: November 11, 2014, 03:54:03 AM »
Took advantage of the Target Sale Buy 2 get 1 free. For myself Sunset Overdrive and Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation for my homeboy.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2897 on: November 11, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
Looks like Ubisoft dropped the ball when it came to their review embargo on Assassins Creed Unity. It came out to release without a single review on the game's quality, a clear and obvious decision made considering that since the embargo was lifted, the game's average is around 7/10, which doesn't sell as many copies when you're releasing in a busy time of year. For the record, I am an Assassins Creed fan, I have already decided in my mind to play Unity at some point (need a PS4 first) and from what I've read, it sounds like I would enjoy Unity. Having said that, the technical issues do sound like a bummer, the importance given on in game micro transactions is a real shame (in what world is $99.99 in a game that already costs $60, ever considered micro?) and the review embargo is very anti consumer. Seems like a few big names are that way lately. Call of Duty suffers from some really bad lag in spots and there's issues around the online components of Driveclub and Halo The Master Chief Collection. I can't recall consumer apathy being so low.

But here's the thing, with all this happening there's a debate being had around pre-order culture and the nature of review embargos. But it's not going to change. For one it makes too much money, we live in a world where Destiny breaks sales records in it's first day when there wasn't any reviews because of an embargo. If reviews were as important to people, that wouldn't happen, as people would have waited for the middling reviews of Destiny to come in first and voted with their wallets. Secondly, the majority of gamers are so defensive of their purchases they will defend them to the hilt even if it flies in the face of all logic. It's why going into a comment section of a game rated lower than the average is a disaster. "How dare you not like this as much as I do?!"

I'm not saying review embargoes aren't anti-consumer, they very much are and Ubisoft should be called out on it and hope they don't do it in the future. I'm just saying that we're at a point where the biggest publishers can release games which can have a number of technical issues at launch or even aren't good games in themselves but they are so good at marketing them, that you'll have people ready to defend the game to the death even before it's out regardless of the reviews. It's because a majority just can't accept that the thing they paid for might not be good for them after all and will look past any flaws to only see the good. Big companies know this, they rely on it, which is why they've gotten away with it for so long. It's why I don't see that culture changing any time soon. I would say just be hesitant about putting a pre order down for any game. Read a couple of reviews, look at a few gameplay vids and then make your decision on whether to buy it.

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #2898 on: November 12, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
I would wait on Unity until it's patched, especially if you want the PS4 version which apparently is the worst one of the lot, which is odd as PS4 versions are usually the best console version.

As for the other stuff, I mean I wouldn't bother yourself getting upset with them at all, much like gamergate, these annoying people are always going to be around no matter how upset or angry we get about it.

The FIFACOD brigade are always going to be there, year after year, pre ordering, it's probably more mainstream than going to the movies now, it's just going to get worse before it gets better. Arguing about 1 person's review score which is an opinion and being pissed off, or even worse, accepting it as gospel is a pointless never ending exercise.

I'm just going to continue playing the games I want to play when I want to play them, and not worry about all of that stuff. Unfortunately I will probably have to pre-order some things for bonuses they don't make available later on, which really needs to calm down or be a timed exclusive or whatever, it's quite unfair.

Ubisoft, however are just getting worse and worse with all this stuff. Just be glad you don't play on PC, you'd be forced to use their Uplay steam-like service, which only has Ubisoft games on it.  Much like EA's Origin it's a steam clone, so it has a front end shop and is bloatware pretty much.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2899 on: November 13, 2014, 12:52:23 AM »
Ubisoft with Unity especially is getting pretty gross about it, I really do hope they listen. Like I said, I still want to play Unity, it looks good and not as unplayable or broken as people online make out (Internet exaggerating? Well I never!), but stuff like this:

Or this, where certain content is locked away unless you buy the right kind of goddamn shaving cream, is impossible to defend.

It bums me out that they've used the popularity of the series in such a way. Nothing screams immersion breaking as much as a reminder that you need to spend real money in order to see content.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Ye - Night