JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Biru wo Miorosu Okujou de ~whitfield version~

Author Topic: A shot at love (OS Mayuki) - COMPLETED  (Read 3780 times)

Offline yuukimoko

• tIK tOK
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Nothing kills you like your mind..
A shot at love (OS Mayuki) - COMPLETED
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »
She'd better get a car for doing this.

Her mother, for whatever reasons, had decided that she wanted another child, and while Mayu was reluctant at first – sixteen years and counting of being the only child was a lot to give up – she'd gradually warmed up to the idea.

Especially when her best friend Yuko listed, in detail, the perks of being the older sibling.

She couldn't wait for her pint-size personal assistant.

But good things only come to those who wait and wait she had, for seven months now. And her mother had turned into some bloated creature that had a tendency to either spontaneously burst into tears or grunt in monosyllabic phrases.

With the most unnatural of urges. Which brings us to this moment, here, when Mayu had been woken up in the dead of night – okay, it was only one in the morning – to go a get Gatorade, and not just any Gatorade, the grossest Gatorade. The yellow one.

Hence, she'd better get a car for doing this.

Technically, this wasn't supposed to be one of her duties. When a man knocks up a chick and sticks around, it's typically his job to go on odd runs like this.

But Mayu's dad was in the military, on his third tour of Iraq, and so this responsibility fell on her petite shoulders.

Again, she'd better get a car for this.

*o*O*o*

"Thank you. Come again," the mini-mart attendant says, waving goodbye to the other customers crazy enough to be shopping after midnight.

"Mayu, what are you doing here? It is not safe for you to be out," he says, in full protective mode.

"It's okay, Raul," she says, walking over to the beverage coolers. "Just getting some Gatorade for Mom."

"Okay, well come along," he gestures, already ringing the item up, waving emphatically for the bills. "Be safe now," he adds once the transaction is complete.

"I will," Mayu smiles, rolling her eyes.

It's not like her house is that far away – couple of blocks maybe.

And they live in a pretty okay neighborhood – the most dangerous thing that'd happened in the last year was when Sae  accidentally hit the mail man.

So there was no reason for her to be worried, right?

Right?

Wrong.

*o*O*o*

Shortcuts at night are no one's friend.

They're dark and empty and usually far away from where people can see or hear you.

A smart criminal lurks in the shadows of the shortcuts, biding his time and waiting for someone o stumble upon his path, an unsuspecting mark.

Most nights, he's not lucky enough to get one.

Some nights, though, he hits the jackpot.

*o*O*o*

"Hey!"

Mayu jumps out of her skin at the unsuspecting noise, clutching the bottle of Gatorade tighter. Her head whips around, searching the darkness but finding no one there. It's black.

"Wh-who's there?" she manages, her heart thudding maniacally in her chest.

"Hey kid," the voice calls out again, and she watches as a man wearing a sling eases into the small amount of moonlight. He's closer than she anticipated and she steps back unwittingly. "Hey, can you help me? I dropped something over here and I can't pick it up with the bum arm," he says, smiling slyly and raising the injured arm.

Mayu smirks. "Sure, I'll help. Just give me a couple thousand years, jerk-face. I wasn't born yesterday, you know."

"Smart girl," he grins, but the amusement in his smile is not typical. "How about you just turn out your pockets instead?"

Mayu knows guns.

She knows them because her father is in the military and so was his father before him and his father before him.

And she's gone hunting and she's fired a few rounds in her short-time on this planet.

So she knows you can't outrun a bullet fired point-blank from a 9mm.

Hell if she's not going to try though.

*o*O*o*

He's on her in a flash, jumping onto her back like a cheetah pounces on its pray and they both hit the cold concrete with a loud thud, the Gatorade bottle cracking open and spilling its cool contents all over.

There's a small struggle as she tries to get him off of her but he's stronger, he's bigger, he's rougher, and he's more dangerous so all that happens is she flails about while he holds her down enough to steady the gun.

One shot – BANG! – and she's still.

*o*O*o*

The man looks stricken, his features pale and he nudges her a few times, testing.

Her body moves but she's doesn't and he panics, jumping off of her and running a hand through his hair.

There's blood now and it's oozing everywhere and the Gatorade is still there too, mixing with the viscous liquid and he's going to be sick maybe.

Maybe not.

Without thinking – you have to turn off your emotions – he reaches into her pockets, pulling out a ten, a five and a couple of singles.

All of this for seventeen bucks.

He shakes his head at her. "You should've just given it to me, kid."

There's a noise coming from the left, a flash of light accompanying it and he scurries to leave, letting Santana bleed out on the ground, unintentionally kicking her in his haste to leave.

*o*O*o*

Yuki's never out this late.

Never.

But it was her first real party and her parents had loosened the reins a bit, letting her enjoy pretending to be an adult.

At least for one night.

It was a pretty okay party, all things considered.

She danced like it was her job, and Yuu asked for her number so life was good if you asked the precocious one.

She probably wouldn't call him but if his sister was around…

She's floating actually, euphoric, and completely inattentive.

Explains why she never sees the guy coming her way – at least not until he smacks right into her.

"Jesus, kid! Watch where you're going!" the man yells, but even as he's admonishing her he's gone, flying down the street like someone is chasing him.

Yuki rights herself and looks to where the man had come from, half expecting Jason Voorhees or Freddy Kruger to emerge from the shadows, but when she sees nothing she just shrugs and keeps on walking.

Ten steps later is when she first heard it.

It is low at first, barely discernable, but as she continues it grows louder and louder until all she can hear are the quiet moans.

And when she finally makes it to the source of the noise, she freezes in place.

*o*O*o*

Mayu slowly comes to and the first thing she's aware of is that it is dark.

The second: her chest is on fire.

It feels like someone's taken a hot poker and jabbed it right into her heart and they're twisting it cruelly, mercilessly.

It hurts so bad that she can't even cry, can't make out words even.

She just lay there hoping that she'd either pass out again or die.

She knows she's been shot, knows it's bad, and she knows unless someone finds her soon she might die right here in this alleyway.

*o*O*o*

"Oh my God," Yuki whispers, rushing over to the prone body. "Don't move," she cautions, seeing the other girl turn her head. She whips out her cell phone, staring at the buttons and willing them to give her the answers. "What's the number, again?" she mumbles out, frustration bleeding into her voice.

Her jean-clad knees settle into the puddle of blood and she peers down at the other girl, checking to see if she is still breathing.

It's strange because even with the girl bloodied and in pain, the only thing she could think is how beautiful she is.

*o*O*o*

Mayu tries to speak, she really does, but every time she opens her mouth she only manages a light rasp, her voice not working.

*o*O*o*

Yuki brings her head lower, her ear almost pressing against the other girl's lips. "9-1-1," she makes out, dialing the numbers instantaneously. "Thank you, now hush. Save your energy," she tells her, grabbing the girl's hand in comfort. "I'm gonna get you help."

*o*O*o*

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The first thing she wonders is why someone would change her alarm to such an annoying tone.

The second thing is whether or not she went to sleep with cotton in her mouth because it sure feels like it.

Mayu opens her eyes and realizes that she isn't in her bed.

She isn't in her room.

She isn't at home.

So, where is she?

"Mom?" she questions, feeling a little more than scared.

There's some rustling to her right and she shifts toward the noise, her body protesting heavily at that as her head swims and her torso throbs in earnest.

'Mayu," she hears her mother breathe out, her touch soothing on her head. "Oh, my baby. I am so glad you're awake."

"Mom, what happened?" she asks, her thoughts murky.

"You don't remember?" the woman questions, stroking her daughter's hair and Mayu shakes her head once. "You were shot dear. On your way back from the convenience store."

Mayu closes her eyes and tries to remember.

She remembers the Gatorade.

She remembers the man in the sling.

She remembers the gun.

And then she remembers…

"Someone found me," she says, not a question.

"Yes. Yes dear. And I am so glad she did," her mother says, her voice shaky. "She stayed. She's wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I want to see her,"Mayu croaks out, licking her dry lips.

*o*O*o*

Yuki's experiencing a lot of firsts lately.

And here's another one: visiting the person whose life you saved in the hospital.

How many people can say that?

"Hey," she says quietly, standing just inside the door.

Mayu's mom stands, patting her daughter's head a few times. "I'll give you two some privacy," she whispers, bending down to press a kiss to her forehead. "I love you, dear."

"Love you too, Mom," Mayu rasps, her eyes following the woman to the door.

"Thank you," Mayu's mom whispers with tears in her eyes, her hand grasping Mayu's arm tightly.

The girl nods, not really knowing what to say and stands there awkwardly when it's just her and Mayu in the room.

"You can come closer," the injured one manages, holding a hand up in invitation. "I won't bite."

Yuki manages a small smile and slowly walks over to the bedside, her eyes roaming over all the machinery and tubes attached to the other girl.

"What's your name?" Mayu asks suddenly. "You saved my life and I don't even know your name."

"Yuki," the blonde says, wringing her hands together. "Are you…I mean…does it hurt?"

"Not too much. But I think that's 'cause of the drugs," Mayu says, her eyes and lips smiling. "I remember you," she says, suddenly turning solemn. "I remember you holding my hand, telling me to squeeze it. I remember you telling me to stay with you. I don't know…I was ready to give up but you just…you brought me back, Yuki."

"I had to," Yuki tells her, looking into her eyes. "You couldn't die. You just…couldn't."

"Why?" Mayu croaks, her brow furrowed slightly.

Yuki smiles, reaching up a hand to smooth out the wrinkles on the other girl's forehead. "I didn't get the chance to love you yet."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:46:44 PM by sophcaro »
“If you don’t go after what you want, you’ll never have it. If you don’t ask, the answer is always no.”

I'm glad I'm not popular.I'm already a bitch, no need to make my ego bigger.

You were always my favorite, no one loved me as much as you did.-Alison DiLaurentis.

Your first kiss isnt always the first person you kiss, or the first person you date.Your first love is the person that you will always compare everyone to.The person that you will never truly get over, even when you have convinced yourself that you have moved on.

Offline Kiri-el

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: A shot at love (OS Mayuki)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
This: "I didn't get the chance to love you yet."   :wub:

I feel so good after reading this. Thank you for this awesome OS!  :)

Offline leEwẬy

• Drowning in Mayuki and EliUmi love
  • Member+
  • Always be まゆき♥ (=゚ω゚)ノ
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
Totally right ^ :mon beam:
Love at first sight, nee~~~ :mon inluv:
"I didn't get the chance to love you yet"
It's just wander around my mind :mon POd: So sweet and romantic :mon lovelaff:
Update soon, please :kneelbow:
Working on translating an awesome Kojiyuu fanfic, right now ☆〜(ゝ。∂) :mon beam:

Offline DC2805

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Think with your wisdom, Love with your heart.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
unique setting... quite a special plot :)
Visit my FFs:
We Love the Hospital! OS (Mayuki + Wmatsui) + Omake
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36072.0

The Foreigner Husband and The Traditional Wife (Wmatsui)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36090.0

[Short OS] "Puppy" Love (Pairings: JR + YH)
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36408.0

My Little Brother Can't Be This Cute!
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=36678.0

Derailed - OS featuring Aya x Nao
http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=37305.0

Offline Archer1992

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • I love Atsumina, Mayuki, Kojiyuu, Saeyaka, Wmatsui
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 06:10:58 AM »
the last line was so wonderfull

continue this???

thanks

Offline LittleTina

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
"I didn't get the chance to love you yet."

DO I CRY OR DO I CRY. AWWWH NOWH.THAT JUST KILLED IT ALL.ALL OF IT.MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

I-- /sobs and sobs/ /cries a freaking river/ /dies/ uwu sorry but that's just....I don't even know what to say.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Biru wo Miorosu Okujou de ~whitfield version~