JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lazygunsbrisky - But I know

Author Topic: Game - Chapter 2 (6/1/2014) [JuriMayu]  (Read 3979 times)

Offline Yuu-kun

Game - Chapter 2 (6/1/2014) [JuriMayu]
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
Chapters:

Arc 1
Chapter 1 (Below)
Chapter 2

This story is a sort of expansion of Louise-sama's Game OS. With how much potential drama it had and the amount of material Louise-sama packed into such a small story, I couldn't resist divulging in to the OS more, and so here it is. The Jurina and Mayu portrayed here is the same Jurina and Mayu in the original. I might deviate a bit from what you might have expected from the OS, but I'll do my hardest to stay true to my best interpretation of what Louise-sama intended the story as well as the characterizations of the characters to be.

Louise-senpai, if you're reading this, arigatou! You gave me a lot of freedom on this story, and the limits it has are juuuust right. I hope you'll enjoy this as well as the imminent torture your kouhai would endure. I blame you xD

The first arc, "Past", is exactly what it says on the tin. The events in this arc takes place six years before Game. Here, Jurina and Mayu are in their first year of university. Drama ensues and stuff happens.

Finally, Yuu-kun desu. This is my first time writing for the AKB fandom (I'm pretty new to writing in general), so I hope you like the twistedness that is this product of my weird imagination. Comments and advice are more than welcome. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu~

Game

Arc 1: The Past

Chapter 1: I Don’t Know

It all began like some cliché teenage rom-com anime.

The two girls were rushing in the halls of Akihabara University, each coming from a different direction, both fearing that if they were late, their professors would lock them out of class on the first day of school. As freshmen, the lazy vibe that their seniors exhibited hadn’t quite reached them yet—the quick pounding of their feet against solid marble testifying to this fact. Both of them dared to ignore the chiding of janitors and other professors, and they didn’t even bother to glance at the wet floor signs that were stationed in intervals along the corridors. Suffice to say, a collision occurred when the two found themselves at an intersection; the girls bumped into each other with a force rivaling a bullet train.

It was quite simple, really.

As Matsui Jurina looked into the dark brown pools that were Watanabe Mayu’s eyes, one could almost hear the pounding of her heart not entirely caused by her earlier cardiovascular exercise. As Watanabe Mayu took the offered hand of Matsui Jurina, a passerby could almost see the electricity emanating from their joined palms. As they greeted each other a strained and rather high-pitched “good morning”, one could certainly say that it was love at first sight.

And it was wrong.

The cliché, their blushing, their shy laughs, their breathless introductions…

Everything was wrong.

Despite giving off the aura of a prim and proper 19-year-old in public, the inside of Mayu’s room looked like a 30-year-old otaku’s paradise. Figurines ranging from busty girls to muscled men lined shelves that also held anime DVD titles and knick-knacks from Comiket. Posters of Haruhi Suzumiya, Evangelion, Detective Conan, One Piece, and other popular shows were systematically arranged on the walls like Tetris blocks. Anime-themed goodies such as Doraemon wall clocks, Death Note banners, and a large bookshelf full of manga volumes and light novels could immediately be seen upon entering. The only real indications that the room belonged to a girl were the polka-dot pink wallpaper, the pink dresser, the pink laptop, the makeup kits strewn all over the place, and a framed photo sitting on top of a bedside table that featured two high-school girls inside a purikura booth.

“S-So… this is my room, Jurina,” the twin-tailed girl nervously announced, giving a half-hearted smile. The only ones that had ever entered her “sanctuary” were her parents, her sister and—

“Kashiwagi-san was right,” Jurina chuckled as she looked around, amused by her surroundings. “This place is sooo like you. Pink. Anime. Pink. Anime. Anime. Pink. And I guess that sexy-looking dakimakura of Eren Jaeger over there is—”

“Kyaa!” Mayu immediately went over to said item, hastily bundled it up, and chucked it inside her closet. Luck was a funny thing, however, and her rather M-rated dakimakura of Levi tumbled out too, causing her attempt at hiding the embarrassing objects to take longer. At each second that passed with her holding a 2D character’s naked chest, her cheeks colored themselves varying intensities of scarlet.

“You did NOT see that,” she glared at the taller girl, slamming her closet door close. She just had to leave Eren on the bed today.

Jurina wiggled her eyebrows playfully. “See what?” she replied, giving Mayu her signature Cheshire grin. “Blackmail material?”

“Ha-ha, very funny,” Mayu deadpanned. The monotony of her voice, however, betrayed a hint of fear.

Jurina slowly crept closer to the short girl. “Know what else is funny?” she said, the seriousness of her tone making Mayu swallow the lump that she suddenly felt in her throat. Jurina smirked at the action.

“What?”

“If a certain someone’s girlfriend finds out that that certain someone sleeps with semi-nude, sexy, titan-slaying anime characters.”

“You wouldn’t…” Mayu whispered, eyes wide, not hiding the desperation and fear in her voice. In retrospect, she could’ve said Yuki did already know about the pillows, but her mouth just had to say something before she could even think about it.

Jurina merely stared at her, their noses just centimeters apart. As dark orbs penetrated fearful ones, silence prevailed inside the room, and the bubbly atmosphere of the otaku wonderland was completely gone. Each breath Mayu exhaled was inhaled by the person pinning her against the door; each breath she inhaled came from the girl towering over her.

Oh no.

As their eyes locked on each other, Mayu felt that familiar feeling. It was the feeling that seemed to spring up lately whenever the taller girl would come close to her. The feeling that confused her. During lunch break at the university, whenever Jurina would join her and Yuki at their usual spot, Mayu would feel her heart quicken when Jurina would sit right next to her, and she would unconsciously move towards her girlfriend to calm herself down. Since their schedules were almost the same, Jurina would often greet her in the mornings or after lectures, and Mayu would feel confused as to why her cheeks felt hot to the touch after the taller girl would leave with a “see you later”. It was a peculiar feeling: one that she wasn’t sure what meant, and one that she wasn’t sure whether she’d like to find out.

The recognizable scent of citrus coming from Jurina invaded her nostrils, making her blouse suddenly seem too tight and further complicating the unwelcome emotions rapidly going through her mind.

Actually, no.

It wasn’t unwelcome.

In the deep recesses of Mayu’s addled mind, she knew that it was anything but unwelcome. She wasn’t sure of her feelings, but she was sure that right now, with their faces so close together—so near yet so far, the taller girl’s thin lips suddenly seemed so… inviting. Mayu could almost… if she leaned enough… just almost…

If I could just…

Jurina suddenly pulled back and laughed.

“It’s like Mari-nee-san’s infecting me with her sadism,” she wiped her eyes, doubled over. “I gotta admit, your face was priceless.”

Mayu blinked in confusion at her friend, trying to process what just happened. With her back still pinned on the wall, she clutched her chest, taking quick note of how the beating of her heart matched the drumming in her ears.

Earlier… right there… was she just about to…?

“Don’t worry, Mayu,” Jurina said, taking the stunned girl’s hand. “Your er… secret,” she wiggled her eyebrows again, “is safe with me. Shall we do that project now?”

Mayu stared at the hand clutching hers intently, as if engraving the back of Jurina’s palm inside her mind. The hand felt rough, slightly bony, and the calluses on Jurina’s fingertips contrasted with the smoothness of Mayu’s. Jurina’s hand was bigger, firmer, and was more akin to a man’s than a woman who wasn’t even twenty. However, as Mayu squeezed it ever so slightly, she noticed that her hand—her smaller hand—fit perfectly inside it, and she unconsciously smiled at how Jurina’s warmth was slowly transferring to her.

She was holding Jurina’s hand.

Her friend’s hand.

She was smiling at its warmth.

Without thinking, she pulled back.

“R-Right!” Mayu stuttered, caressing the hand that Jurina held moments before. “M-My laptop’s right here. I-I’ll log it in for you.” She quickly stomped towards her desk, opening the device. The feelings inside her were so jumbled up, and she couldn’t make sense of it all. As she waited for the laptop to boot up, she tapped her cheeks, telling herself to get a grip. The thought of Yuki picking her up for their six-month anniversary dinner suddenly came to mind, but it somehow only made her feel worse. Just what the heck was going on with her?

“Alright,” Jurina smiled, neither fazed by Mayu’s sudden actions nor noticing how Mayu seemed to twitch at her voice. “I have the books in my bag. Is it really okay for me to use your laptop while you research like some ancient scholar?”

“It’s fine,” Mayu curtly replied, avoiding her friend’s face. The blue design of her laptop’s login screen suddenly seemed interesting. “I used your computer last time, so it’s only fair.”

“But it’s only ‘cuz you lost at rock-paper-scissors,” Jurina retorted, taking out the heavy books from her bag and placing them on Mayu’s bed. “I propose we play a round to see who really gets to use the laptop.”

Mayu dared to glance behind her, taking a peek at the person currently ignorant of how uncomfortable she was. Once she saw Jurina smiling at her, she quickly looked away, immediately feeling her cheeks flush. She closed her eyes, praying that the heat she felt inside her would cool down.

Stop it. Stop being so—

“Moshi moshi? Mayu?” Jurina called, finally noticing her friend’s weird behavior. “Are you alright? Should we postpone this?”

Taking a quick breath, Mayu internally berated herself. What was the matter with her? Why can’t she even turn to meet Jurina’s gaze? And why did she suddenly feel like she’ll collapse if she did?

“I-I’m fine,” she timidly replied, not risking another glance at the taller girl. She prayed that Jurina wouldn’t notice the shakiness of her voice. Her throat felt so dry, and she knew that if she swallowed, she would feel a sting. Why did it suddenly feel so hard to talk to her friend?

Jurina sighed, “If it bothers you that much, I’ll use the laptop. It’s not a problem, really.” She started to move forwards towards the desk, right next to the shorter girl. She didn’t notice how Mayu seemed to tense upon hearing her footsteps, and she was surprised to hear a startled yelp when she placed a hand on Mayu’s shoulder.

“Don’t!” the shorter girl growled. Mayu forcefully shrugged Jurina’s hand off, backing away from her, and Mayu’s side painfully hit against the wall. She turned, their eyes finally met, and she could see the confusion written on Jurina’s face. The taller girl’s eyebrows were knitted together; worry clouding her dark eyes, lips upturned in a hurt frown.

Mayu didn’t blame her. Her actions stunned her too. And it wasn’t as if Jurina knew just what was happening to her; heck, she didn’t even know what was happening herself. All she knew was that she could still feel the taller girl’s hand on her shoulder even though she could plainly see Jurina holding up the same hand in front of her. She stared back at the taller girl’s eyes, trying to convey that she was sorry; she didn’t know what came over her. The only thing that Mayu wanted right now was to hide—away from Jurina, and away from the jumbled up emotions she was feeling.

A minute of silence passed, with each second becoming increasingly awkward for the both of them. When Jurina finally shrugged and scratched the back of her head, the breath that Mayu had been unconsciously holding slowly escaped her lips.

“W-We should er, do this some other time instead,” Jurina said, her tone resigned, slowly making her way to the books on Mayu’s bed. She carefully picked each one up and returned them inside her bag. All the while, she avoided Mayu’s eyes, focusing on the mundane task that seemed more interesting than anything in the colorful room.

“I… I…” she finally faced Mayu, eyes downcast. She was holding her bag so tight that her already pale knuckles turned white. “Call me when you feel better… Watanabe-san.”

Jurina left the room, not even bothering to close the door.

Lips pursed, Mayu shuffled over to her desk, opened her cell phone, and dialed the number of the person who had loved her since middle school.

“Yuki… Sorry, I’m feeling a little sick today… I think we should cancel…”
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:45:33 PM by sophcaro »

Offline rochilu

• Member+
Re: [JuriMayu] Game | Arc 1 | Chapter 1 (27/12/2013)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:06:09 AM »
omg! i really wanted a continuation of that one shot, thanks!!! >u<
I like the way you're writing and poor Yukirin, this will be a bad story for her u.u oww, 6 years before huh... interesting e.e
Hope you can make the next chapter soon, i will be waiting ^^

Offline Louise-sama

• Frustrated Writer and an Amateur Artist
  • Member+
  • Girls like girls like boys do.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:54:04 AM »
And who was that senpai of yours who put you in this pressure and torture, huh? That Louise-sama?! I'M GONNA GET THAT MEANIE!

Gotta agree with rochilu. Keep writing that way. I had read this chapter beforehand but the emotions I felt while reading it for the second time didn't change much from the first time.
This wouldn't be a bad story for Yukirin only but also to ...some. Besides, I think Jurina and Mayu were the most hurt, considering their situation. I'm NOT speaking in behalf of Yuu-kun. She still gets to decide how the story will go. But this was how I viewed it.

Thank you for writing this, Yuu-kun! Hands down on your first published fic!

Welcome to the forum!
I'm Louise.  :)

Catch me in Wordpress and Tumblr.

Offline michiyo48

• Member+
  • I give thanks to all great writers! <3
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:19:37 PM »
Oh nice!! I'm glad you make the next sroty of Louise-sama's OS^^
Thank you so much! And thanks for Louise-sama too! :)

I hope that it will be JuriMayu in the ending! Hehe this story is great! I love your writing style too, you give me a lot of new vocabularies, please keep writing that way! ;) I love challenge!

Please update the next chapter soon! I'm waiting for it!! I love JuriMayu so much! <3
Kanon is so cute, but she's only mine! 0.o I mean my sister! ;)
I love SaeYuki, AtsuMina, JuriMayu, and MariHaru :P

You can read my first and only fanfic: What's Wrong With Love? (JuriMayu) - http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=38049.msg1294928#msg1294928

Offline Yuu-kun

Re: [JuriMayu] Game | Arc 1 | Chapter 2 (6/1/2013)
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »
Overdue Replies ^^':

@rochilu: Haha! I wanted a continuation too! So much so that I asked Louise-sama if I could do one and well, here we are. Yuki IS going to go through a lot here, and I'm hoping that I'll get it right. I hope you'll continue enjoying this :D

@Louise-sama: GET HER. NOW. GET THAT MEAN SENPAI. HER SADISM MUST GO NOT GO UNPUNISHED! Haha! Seriously though, even if my head may start to lose its hair from all the thinking I'm doing, I'm grateful that I had the chance to continue your fic. And for being my (sorta) Edit-chan! I don't know what I would do without your guidance xD

@michiyo: Thank you for taking the time to read this! And I'm glad that it's helping your vocabulary ^^ I'm hoping that you'll stick to this though, as your JuriMayu will have to wait a bit.

A/N: This chapter is right up there next to the “Genetic Probabilities” essay on my “Things that are Stanking Hard to Write” list. Hope you enjoy it.
Next chapter should be up in who knows when because school started again that’s why... I'm so sorry ;_; SOON™

There's also a few tidbits at the end of this chapter for you guys if you want to read 'em :D

Game

Arc 1: The Past

Chapter 2: Should History Repeat

Jurina fiddled with her wallet, quickly trying to find a smaller bill to pay the cab fare and panicking at the fact that the meter went up whenever she glanced at it. She silently cursed herself for only having 10000 yen bills, but immediately smirked at the thought. There she was, inside one of the most expensive forms of public transportation in Japan, annoyed that she had so much money. The irony of it all made her want to laugh.

“Ojou-chan, I have change for 10000 yen,” the taxi driver said, finally realizing why his customer seemed so agitated.

Jurina looked up at the old man and smiled sheepishly, “I’m sorry, Oji-san. I wasn’t planning on riding the taxi home, you see. Would it really be alright?”

“It won’t be a problem at all.”

After paying the fee and thanking the driver profusely, Jurina half-walked, half-dragged herself towards her condo building. Arriving at a large glass door, she took out her keys and inserted them into an ATM-like machine mounted on a wall to her right. The glass door opened with a quiet click, permitting her access to a small room that served as the building’s secondary security entrance. From there, she inserted her keys into another machine and punched in her occupants’ ID number onto a small metallic keyboard when the device prompted her. She sighed as another air-tight door in front of her sluggishly opened, and quickly walked into the building’s well-furnished lobby before the door could crush her.

“Welcome home, Matsui-sama,” a voice teasingly called out, and the tall girl immediately knew who it was.

“I’m home, Churi,” Jurina halfheartedly replied, reaching the security kiosk at the end of the large room. Normally, she would’ve smacked the bird-lover upside for calling her that, but with how exhausted she felt, she wasn’t in the mood. “Where’s your dad?”

“Bathroom,” Churi answered, referring to the building’s usual front-entrance security guard. She shot a concerned glare at Jurina, frowning ever so slightly at the fact that her friend didn’t retort to her earlier taunt. “You look like you had fun, coming home waaay past your bedtime and all. You were at Watanabe’s place, right?”

Jurina nodded slightly at the inquiry.

“Doing Takahashi-sensei’s Jap Lit project?”

Again, Jurina inclined her head.

“You guys done?”

At that, the tall girl shot her a dirty look, and Churi chortled in response.

“I’ll take that as a ‘Mayu and I are screwed’ glare. Wait a moment…” The bird-lover took out something from her schoolbag, showing Jurina a rather thick stack of heavy-set papers fastened together. Her voice then turned serious, and she gave a sympathetic smile, “This is our research sources document. Airi and I already finished ours, so you can borrow it if you want. Just return it to me before the deadline.”

Jurina sighed, her gaze softening at the offered papers. “No, we’re fine. Watanabe-san and I are almost finished with it,” she smiled slightly, heading towards the elevators. “I’ll see you later, Churi. Tell your dad I said hi.”

Churi returned her smile and nodded. She wanted to tease Jurina further, but if her friend wasn’t returning her taunts, the bird-lover knew that it was time to back off. Besides, Jurina had already indirectly hinted that she didn’t want to fool around. Quickly returning back her attention to the CCTV screens in front of her, she bit her lower lip.

Since when did you start calling Mayu, “Watanabe-san”?

She heard the security kiosk’s telephone ringing, but before answering it, she glanced at Jurina’s figure on one of the screens. The girl’s forehead was pinned against the elevator door, waiting for it to open. Her hands were clenched in fists, and her bag was slowly sliding off her shoulders.

“We’re fine” my ass.

Despite the fact that Jurina lived alone, her apartment was quite large. Of the four bedrooms that she used, one was converted into a small recording studio, another served as a large study, another was a (rather large) guest bedroom, and the room that she slept in was the biggest of the three. Her kitchen had the latest in culinary technology—even though the only dish she knew how to cook was her mom’s meat spaghetti—and her fridge was always well-stocked with the most delicious junk food known to man. She only used one of the three large bathrooms of the apartment in order to save time on cleaning, but even then it would take her two hours just to make sure everything was spotless. Even though the urge to get a cleaning lady was tempting, Jurina felt proud that she had survived for three years without calling anyone in for help and that her apartment looked as though it was one of those model homes you see on magazines. The apartment wasn’t fully hers because she still had to pay her parents for shouldering most of the costs of buying the unit as well as providing her with furniture, but she was the one who knows every nook and cranny of the place, she was the one who paid the bills, and she was the one who chose what to do with her home. All rooms had modern furniture, and all those rooms ultimately had only one owner: her.

“I’m home,” Jurina unenthusiastically announced to the empty living room. Despite it being her favorite place in the apartment, she ignored the cheery atmosphere of the large space, let her heavy bag fall to the floor with a resounding smack, and proceeded to rub her eyes with a force that could remove them from her face. The coldness of her palms started to ebb away as she then decided to slap her cheeks—not caring about the stinging sensation that came with it—in a feeble attempt to wake herself up. After remembering to trade her sneakers for her indoor slippers, the pillows on her couch were instantly on the floor as she sat down with a heavy sigh.

Shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Leaning back on the seat, Jurina drew out a groan as she felt the muscles of her legs start to ache as she expected they would.

After leaving Mayu’s house earlier than she had planned, Jurina had walked aimlessly around her twin-tailed friend’s neighborhood as well as the area surrounding it. With a heavy heart, she trudged on and had memorized every landmark of the area without really intending to. Whenever she would arrive at the same convenience store she knew she had passed just moments ago, she would pause and contemplate whether or not to return to her friend’s house but immediately shrugged off the thought once she felt the lump in her throat resurface again.

When she finally noticed that it was already quite late and that the convenience store clerk was looking at her from inside store like she was crazy—and maybe she was—she opted to board the train home. Once she arrived at the station, the station manager at the gate said that the last train to her destination had already departed, and so she had to wait thirty minutes in the cold October wind before she could wave down a taxi.

Heeeeeeeesh.

With a frustrated grunt, Jurina remembered why she was in her situation in the first place. The tall girl really didn’t know what went on inside Mayu’s room. What she did know was that Mayu was acting so strange for the past couple of weeks—avoiding her touches, leaning away from her, being impatient when they were together, clinging on to her girlfriend more than she normally did once Jurina sits next to them—and it seemed to have culminated in Mayu growling at her earlier. Now, the fact of the matter was that as she sat on her couch in a self-induced pity party, she still didn’t understand why the twin-tailed girl was so cold towards her. She didn’t know why Mayu was acting like that in the first place, and she didn’t know if she had done something wrong. Even after forcibly trying to remember what she did and said since meeting the twin-tailed girl back in April, she couldn’t find one thing that would offend Mayu nor make her act cold towards her.

So why?

Jurina looked into Mayu’s eyes, and was utterly confused by what she saw.

Was it… anger that was in the smaller girl’s gaze?

Perhaps hurt?

Irritation?

What was it?

Did Jurina do something wrong?

The taller girl had her hand up, feeling it sting even though Mayu didn’t touch it. She felt her chest tighten almost painfully as she looked into Mayu’s eyes. She didn’t know why Mayu looked at her like she had insulted her. Jurina knew that the smaller girl could be a little sensitive at times, but she didn’t know what provoked the rude action. Her earlier tease about the dakimakura was just that—a tease—and as far as she knew, Mayu had thicker skin than that.

So why?

Suddenly, Jurina saw the brown orbs shift. At this point, the taller girl knew what they were trying to say. She’s seen it before, after all. And, just like all those other times, her confusion would only grow as Mayu’s eyes once again reflected it at her.

‘Sorry’

And, just like all those other times, she could do nothing but shrug it off.

“Hey, kiddo. I’m abusing my key privileges.”

A grinning face appeared before Jurina’s line of sight and, despite herself, the exhausted girl slowly grinned as well.

“I didn’t hear you come in, Mari-nee-san,” She replied, sitting up. Jurina felt the coldness in her body slowly fade as her older sister tackled her, and chuckled lightly when Mariko pulled back and ruffled her hair affectionately.

“Are you deaf now?” Mariko teased.

“I’m trespassing as well, Jurina-chan,” Another voice announced. Turning her head slightly, Jurina’s grin seemed to reach its limits as she met the eyes of her sister’s girlfriend, and the short-haired girl immediately stood up to embrace her as well. Pulling back from the hug, Jurina chuckled again as her cheeks were pinched by the long-haired woman.

“Hey, Haru-nee,” She greeted, cheeks still restrained by Haruna’s grip. “How’ve you been?”

“Fine,” Haruna replied, winking, “But I’ve really missed my kiss monster.”

“Don’t you have me for that, Nyaro?” Mariko teased as she walked over to them, pouting ever so slightly as she did so, “Or am I not enough?”

“Mou, Mariko, of course you’re enough~”

“You two are sappy as always,” Jurina laughed, “It’s like I’m constantly interrupting something. You guys really can’t get enough of each other, can you?”

“You’ll understand once you get a boyfriend,” Haruna playfully replied. She sauntered up to Mariko, and the older woman immediately put a hand on her waist and drew her close. “Or are you as straight as your sister?” Haruna added, chuckling.

Seeing her younger sister’s reddening face, Mariko gave an amused snort. “I’ve never seen someone so excited at going to Ni-Chōme,” The older woman winked, “She’s a heartbreaker though. Caused a lot of trouble in high school, ne?”

Jurina groaned, “Can we please drop this?”

As the three’s laughs bounded through the spacious apartment, Jurina could feel her worries slowly recede. After the stressful events of the day, she was physically and mentally exhausted beyond belief. She didn’t expect Mariko to drop by so suddenly, but that very thing seemed to lift her spirits more than anything. Since Mariko was the one to succeed their stepfather and therefore was quite busy with the family business, Jurina got to see her less and less as time went by—even the excursions that she and Mariko had during the weekends were usually skipped. The fact that her older sister took the time to see her was a welcome change to her otherwise melancholic day, and she was quite grateful that even Haruna, her sister’s (very busy) secretary, was there as well.

“Anyway,” Mariko started, she removed herself from Haruna and placed a hand on Jurina’s shoulder, “You okay?” She gently asked, a hint of concern flickering behind her dark eyes.

“I’m fine,” The younger girl replied, brows furrowing at her sister’s sudden change in tone. Her receding worries suddenly came back tenfold as she saw a glint of suspicion in Mariko’s eyes. “You?” She timidly asked, biting her lip afterwards.

“Peachy,” The older sibling said, her troubled tone still there. Squeezing Jurina’s shoulder slightly Mariko sighed, frowning as she continued, “But you’re not. You just came home, right? Churi said that you don’t look too well—and I agree.”

Jurina sighed at the fact, “Nosy bird lady.”

“It’s not only that, Jurina-chan,” Haruna also wore a concerned frown, “You looked like you were drunk when we came in.”

“I’m not even allowed to drink—”

“We know. It’s the reason why I’m not giving you a sermon about it now,” Mariko gently replied, “Can you blame Haruna though? You had that look.”

Jurina cocked up a brow, “I didn’t know that resting on the couch could make you look wasted.”

“You were sighing and mumbling too,” Haruna pointed out.

“Not to mention, you smell like tobacco,” Mariko added, “Which means you’ve either started smoking or you rode a taxi. And I don’t know which one worries me the most.”

The younger sibling bit her bottom lip. Jurina had forgotten how observant her older sister could be. In most cases, it was a blessing for the younger girl but now, with how Mariko was looking suspiciously at her, it was anything but.

“Why would I riding a taxi worry you, Onee-san?” Jurina quietly asked. It was a long while since her older sister had been skeptical of her, and she didn’t like how their first meet-up in quite a while was going.

“Because it means that you were far from home for too long,” Mariko replied matter-of-factly, “Long enough that you missed the train, and far enough for you to use a taxi instead of walking.”

“I’m not a kid anymore,” Feeling a growing irritation at being cross-examined, Jurina had to control herself in order not to snap her reply. As stupid as it sounded, in the back of her mind, her earlier stresses with Mayu was beginning to take over and was affecting how she was responding, and she didn’t know why.

Stop it.

“I think I’m allowed to go home as late as I please.”

“But that doesn’t mean you should,” Mariko stated. Jurina could almost detect the hint of anger in her voice, further irking her. “You’re only nineteen, Jurina. And even if you could make your own decisions, you still need to remember that rules apply to you.”

“I know they do,” Jurina gritted her teeth. The hand that touched Mayu’s shoulder earlier began to sting and, trying to push the feeling off, her reply came out harshly, “But going home late isn’t supposed to be an issue.”

Stop it.

Mariko held a defensive hand up, “I’m not saying it’s an issue—”

“Then why are you acting like it is?”

“I’m not, Jurina.”

“Then what are you trying to say?”

“I’m saying that you’re still young,” Mariko’s voice was rising; beads of sweat could be seen on her forehead as she glared at her younger sibling, “You’re still a university student. If something were to happen to you—”

Jurina’s vision darkened, the ache in her legs seemed to drag her down.

An image of a remorseful Mayu flashed in her mind.

Stop it!

“Why do you even care?!”

“Because I’m your sister!” Mariko growled. Surprised at the sudden outburst, Jurina winced and took a step back. Mariko paused when she saw the action. The fearful eyes of her younger sister bore in to her as she swallowed the guilt she felt in her throat. Running a hand through her short tresses, the older woman’s voice softened as she gently explained, “I just… I don’t want you to get hurt.”

As Mariko slowly walked over to the couch to sit down, Jurina could only stare at her sister’s slumped figure. The sting of her own out-of-place question lingered on her lips, and she knew that they were the stupidest words she had ever uttered in front of the older sibling. She knew that Mariko had nothing to do with her problems with Mayu, but even so, she allowed her frustrations to spoil an otherwise happy reunion. She didn’t know what came over her. As her conscious mind tried to make sense of all that happened since seeing Mayu wince at her touch for the first time all those weeks ago until right now, while looking at her sister’s dejected form, she could only really think of one thing.

Is… something wrong with me?

“I… I’m sorry, Onee-san,” Jurina finally mumbled. She didn’t dare look into Mariko’s eyes. “That was out of line.”

As she stared at her feet, Jurina felt Haruna’s hand pat her shoulder lightly. “We weren’t even counting on you being awake right now,” Haruna said softly, “We have a business conference near here, so Mariko thought it would be nice if we stayed here instead of in a hotel—” She gestured at the luggage near the TV, “—To surprise you.”

“When Churi mentioned you earlier, I got worried,” Mariko quietly added, looking at Jurina with somber eyes. The older woman sighed when she noticed that the younger girl wasn’t looking at her. “I know I haven’t visited you in a long time—I didn’t even call you or anything—so hearing what Churi said and seeing you like you were earlier scared me,” Taking a deep breath Mariko continued, “You’re not a kid anymore. I respect that. But you’re still my younger sister.” 

“I know, Onee-san,” Eyes still avoiding her sister’s face, Jurina took a small breath. “I know that more than anyone. And I’m sorry. I don’t know why I said that. I think I’m just a bit tired.”

“Jurina, look at me,” Mariko’s voice was soft. Slowly, she got off the couch and walked next to the younger girl. With a gentle pat on the head, Jurina complied with the request, and was relieved to find her sister giving her a small smile.

“As far as I know, you do great at school, and I know how much you love your job,” Mariko said. “So whatever it is that’s making you tired… it has nothing to do with work or uni, ne?”

Jurina almost chuckled at the question. “Well, it does… somewhat,” Voice serious, she frowned slightly, “I mean, I’m not blaming it on anyone, but things are a bit… screwed up between me and a friend of mine,” She paused, thinking of the right way to explain something that even she didn’t understand, “We’re partners in a project, see. And with how she’s been acting, we’re not getting enough work done.”

Mariko cocked a brow at that, “Hm? That’s the issue?”

This time, Jurina smiled at the “what-a-letdown” tone that Mariko had. Her frown returned, however, when she tried to recount her frustrations, “It’s not only that, Onee-san,” She began with a sigh, “Mayu’s… she’s been my friend since classes started. She’s been acting so weird lately that I don’t know if I did something wrong or she’s going through a phase or something. I don’t know if it’s my fault or not and it’s really…” She paused, thinking of a right word, “… annoying me, I think.”

“You think?”

“Well, I don’t really know how I feel about this whole thing,” Jurina grumbled in response to Mariko’s somewhat playful prompt. “I just know that it’s tiring me out.”

“Sounds heavy,” Haruna was standing right next to her, offering her a reassuring smile. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“We’ll listen, no matter how stupid it is,” Mariko agreed, her impish grin returning.

“Well, what do you think?” Jurina quietly asked, finishing her story. Looking in front of her, she was a bit taken aback by the somewhat downcast expressions of Mariko and Haruna. Just a few minutes ago, they seemed so absorbed in her story and were even fervently asking her questions. Now, the couple looked like Jurina had delivered a eulogy instead of a frustrating tale about confusion and supposed misunderstandings.

“Onee-san?” Jurina timidly prompted, and her sister looked up at her with a small—and somewhat forced—smile.

“I think…” Mariko started, taking a quick glance at silent a Haruna, “That you should listen carefully. To me. Listen carefully, Jurina.”

The older woman slowly lifted herself off the couch and kneeled in front of Jurina’s seat, taking the younger girl’s hands in hers. Puzzled by the action, Jurina could only raise her eyebrows and keep silent as her sister started to speak.

“You don’t have to worry. It’s not your fault, Jurina,” Mariko began with a serious but gentle tone, “I think Mayu… Mayu is…”

“She’s having complicated feelings, Jurina-chan,” Haruna quietly supplied. Eyes still downcast, the longer-haired woman refused to meet the gazes of the two siblings. Intertwining her fingers together, her voice could be barely heard as she added, “And I think it’s best if you leave her alone.”

Perking up, Mariko’s eyes widened, “Nyaro—”

“It’s what’s best, Mariko,” Haruna quickly said. She shot her girlfriend a glare that Jurina couldn’t recognize, and Mariko visibly winced. “Do you understand, Jurina-chan?” Haruna’s voice was sickly sweet, but the glint in her eyes was anything but.

“I… I don’t… I don’t think I do,” Jurina blinked back, confused at Haruna’s sudden change of demeanor. Truthfully, she didn’t expect Haruna to be the one to give advice. It’s not that her sister’s girlfriend was dumb or anything, but Haruna could be a bit... slow sometimes. In fact, Jurina had this suspicion that the long-haired woman was deliberately acting like an airhead. With how Haruna was glaring at Mariko now, her suspicion was growing—and she didn’t like it.

“I think what Haruna is trying to say, Jurina,” Mariko quietly began, looking over her girlfriend to see if Haruna would react. When the long-haired woman continued to give her unrecognizable glare, Mariko continued hesitantly, almost whispering, “Is that you should give Mayu some space.”

“That’s not it and you know it!” Haruna snapped, and the two siblings could only gape at the normally cheerful woman. With one final glare, Haruna stormed out the room, leaving the two to hear the slam of the apartment door closing.

A still-shocked Jurina could only stare at Haruna’s abandoned seat, “That was…” She looked over to Mariko, and was surprised to see her older sister biting back tears.

“Are you okay, Onee-san?” She timidly asked, her confusion at the whole situation only growing.

“Jurina,” The older woman’s gaze locked on to hers and, voice laced with regret that the younger girl didn’t know what was the cause of, she quietly spoke, “You should follow what your heart tells you. That’s it. Nothing more nothing less.”

Jurina blinked, “I… I don’t know how that relates to this. Why did Haru-nee—”

“Don’t worry about Haruna,” Mariko sighed, “She’s just a bit… upset. But listen, Jurina,” The older sibling squeezed her hands, “I don’t know what’s going to happen,” Mariko paused, taking a deep breath, “But if it is what I think it is, I only have one piece of advice: you need to make your own decisions. Choose what’s best. And if your heart tells you to take a chance, take it. Remember what dad said before he died—A Matsui either does or doesn’t.”

“I know what dad said,” Jurina frowned, “But I still don’t think I understand. What does that have to do with all of this? And why is Haru-nee upset?”

For a brief moment, Mariko stared at her, lips pursed and face blank. The younger girl gazed at her sister’s expressionless eyes, trying to understand just what Mariko was trying to tell her. Really, everything was too confusing for her to comprehend. She was asked to tell her story in the hopes of getting answers, but there she was, having more questions than she originally had and even more puzzled than she was to begin with. When the older woman suddenly giggled, Jurina could only give a defeated sigh.

Uekara Mariko, ne?
   Way, waaaay above.
   And you’re even taking Haru-nee with you.

“I think we’ve overreacting a bit,” Mariko smiled. Standing up, Mariko walked over to her and Haruna’s luggage and, turning to Jurina, she gave her an impish grin. “I’m sorry for confusing you more, Imouto-sama,” She winked, heading towards the front door, “But, really, I’m not called sadistic for nothing.”

Jurina frowned at the comment before noticing where Mariko was slowly opening the door, “Wait—you’re going?”

“I’ll be leaving the luggage here. I’ll—we’ll—be back. I promise,” Mariko waved a dismissive hand, still grinning from ear to ear, “I need to catch my cat before she freezes. You should get a rest, Jurina; I don’t think we’ll come back before morning.”

With that, the older sibling left her apartment, gently closing the door and locking it from the outside. The exhausted Jurina could only really think of one thing to describe her day as she once again plopped on her couch, ignored her surroundings, and stared at her spotlessly-white ceiling.

“The heck was that all about?”

“Haruna.”

“What?!”

Mariko winced at the hostility of Haruna’s voice. Even though she had been the cause as well as the receiving end of it from time to time, she never really could get used to her girlfriend’s anger. It was the usually cheery ones that were the scariest when angry after all, and Haruna was known as the cheery one in their relationship. When the long-haired woman stood up from her sitting position on the sidewalk and started to walk away, Mariko immediately grabbed her arm, forcing Haruna to look at her, and with a quiet voice said, “Back there, I know you’re—”

“You know what’s going to happen, Mariko!” Haruna snapped, and Mariko once again unconsciously flinched at the harsh tone. Though her girlfriend was glaring murder at her, however, she took a bit of comfort in that Haruna didn’t shrug her hand away.

Voice as even as possible, Mariko tried to explain, “We can’t say that for sure—”

“But it’s all there! What that Mayu feels… everything is just like back then!”

“Like I said, we can’t say that for su—”

“I don’t want that Kashiwagi girl becoming like Yu—!”

There it is.

“Haruna, look at me,” Mariko’s voice was gentle but firm. As the short-haired woman dealt with the inevitable conflicting emotions that came whenever Haruna mentioned even a little of their past, she tried to calm the erratic beating of her heart and prayed that her eyes weren’t going to betray her.

“Only at me, Haruna.”

Her girlfriend could only stare back at her, and Mariko was sure that Haruna was going through the same emotions that she was. Biting her lower lip, Mariko continued.

“Do you still trust me?”

Because I do.

“Ne, do you still remember?”

Please remember.

“Can you still remember?”

Back then.

“… Remember what?” Haruna finally asked, and Mariko didn’t miss the slight glint of curiosity that the long-haired woman had in her eyes.

“How much you cried,” Mariko softly prompted, “At that time, you cried so hard. And I didn’t even know what to do.”

“I… I remember.”

“And I cried too, remember that?”

“I remember.”

Haruna’s response was more a whisper than anything else, but Mariko was quick to note the hint of defiance in her tone. As her girlfriend’s eyes slowly reflected their usual gentleness, the short-haired woman sighed in relief.

Please… don’t leave me.

“Good. Because I don’t want you to forget that.”

“I won’t forget that even if I wanted to,” Haruna finally gave a small smile, and Mariko grinned as well. As the cold wind pricked their exposed arms, the couple moved closer, sharing as much of their body heat with each other as they can. Fingers intertwined, they sat down on the edge of the sidewalk, not minding the frigidness of the stone.

“… Jurina is a smart kid,” Mariko started, squeezing Haruna’s hand reassuringly. “She’ll know what to do.”

Worry flashed in Haruna’s eyes as she squeezed Mariko’s hand as well, “But—”

“Jurina needs to think for herself,” Mariko immediately supplied, voice firm. “If I’m always there to guide her, she would still be that little naïve kid she was back in Nagoya. I don’t want that. This is her fight.”

“But what if—”

“Like I said, we don’t know for sure if that’s what’s going to happen. We can’t just jump to conclusions,” Mariko brushed a strand of hair off of Haruna’s face before continuing with a sad but no less stern tone. “Jurina likes to think logically. If we present her with that kind of half-assed explanation, that kid wouldn’t believe us. Heck, we aren’t even sure if that Watanabe girl is just going through a phase or something.”

“I know it’s there, Mariko. And if Jurina would feel the same way—”

“Jurina knows what she should do when the time comes. She needs to make her own decisions. She doesn’t know much about these kinds of things—cursed sheltered life—but I’m sure she’ll pull through.”

Eyes downcast, it took a while for Haruna to reply, “And if she makes the wrong choice?”

… Wrong?

“… Are you saying that I made the wrong choice?” Though Mariko’s tone was playful, the question she presented to her girlfriend was so loaded that as soon as she uttered it, she internally slapped herself for asking it. It was as if she doubted her relationship with Haruna—which was something she never wanted her girlfriend to feel. She was grateful then, when Haruna’s eyes immediately widened at her inquiry.

“No! Don’t say that!” The long-haired woman chided, smacking Mariko’s arm.

“I know. I’m sorry,” Mariko’s relieved voice was anything but sorry, however, as her usual impish grin slowly formed on her face.

The conversation died down and the cold night waned on. A comfortable silence passed between the two with Mariko occasionally stealing a glance at her companion’s profile. As she admired the way Haruna’s hair seemed to reflect the moonlight rather than absorb it, Mariko remembered how hard it was to convince Haruna all those years ago on how much she had loved her. Their circumstances back then were so messed up that she wondered how they managed to pull through. During that time, Mariko didn’t know what else to do but keep hanging on to her selfish desires in hopes that the woman beside her right now would inevitably feel as selfish as she did. All those years ago, she kept hanging in hopes that despite her wants benefitting only a select few and hurting so many, it would turn out alright. With one final loving glance at her girlfriend, she thanked the heavens that she ended up holding the hand of the one person that had captured her heart.

I was right… wasn’t I?

“… We can’t do anything about it, can we?” Haruna half-asked, half-said with a wistful tone, breaking the silence. The long-haired woman’s eyes were still glued on the road in front of them, watching cars passing by with mild curiosity.

“I think we just made it more complicated for her, actually,” Mariko chuckled in response. She remembered how Jurina could only gape at her when she went out of the apartment earlier.

“Some Onee-san you are.”

“You started it with your dramatic worst-case scenario deductions—ACK!”

“I can’t help it, you know,” Haruna pouted, gently massaging the spot where she conked Mariko’s head. “I… I don’t want to see anyone get hurt.”

“Me either,” Mariko nodded. “But at this rate, I doubt we’re going to get what we want.”

It was at the end of her somewhat sad statement did Mariko notice that Haruna’s frown started to turn into a small, knowing smile. “What are you grinning for?” The short-haired woman asked. It wasn’t that Haruna smiling was a rare thing, but it didn’t quite match the mood that the present conversation had.

“See?” Haruna explained, turning to her, “Even you jumped to that conclusion.”

Ah, you caught me there.

“Your fault, you airhead,” Came the short-haired woman’s grumbled but light-hearted reply.

Chuckling at her girlfriend’s pout, Haruna gently squeezed Mariko’s hand. As another gust of wind tussled her already unkempt hair, the long-haired woman scooted closer to her companion, and Mariko allowed Haruna to gently lay her head on her shoulder. “So?” Haruna whispered, almost breathing out the word. She gently squeezed Mariko’s hand again, unsure if her girlfriend heard what she said despite her lips inches from the short-haired woman’s ear.

Unconsciously shivering at her girlfriend’s warm breath tickling her neck, it took a few seconds before Mariko could respond, “What?”

“What are we going to do when your sister cries like you did back then?”

Ahhh.

“I thought that much was obvious, Nyaro,” Mariko replied in the same all-knowing tone she used on Jurina earlier. She gently motioned for Haruna to lift her head up, and when her girlfriend complied and looked at her, she gave a small, sad smile.
   Brows furrowing, Haruna asked, “Enlighten me, then. What are we going to do?”

The familiar but almost forgotten tinge of guilt and regret flashed in her girlfriend’s eyes, and Mariko knew that despite the question concerned Jurina, Haruna needed her answer more than her younger sister did. The question was, after all, what started their relationship and what also ultimately ended another one. Taking a deep breath, Mariko uttered the reply that she had prepared. It was similar to the reply she had said to the sobbing Haruna back then, as both of their bodies trembled in the frigid wind comparable to the one they were experiencing now.

“We help her pick up the pieces."

TBC

Notes desu~~

Ni-Chōme:
   Ni-Chōme is an area in Shinjuku. The place is considered a hub for LGBT activity in Tokyo… meaning it has a lot of gay bars. Why Jurina is excited at going here well, your guess is as good as mine.

… And no. I’ve never been there, if you’re wondering ^^’

Spare change:
   The scene where Jurina was trying to find smaller bill to pay the driver was actually based on a similar situation I had when I visited Japan. My dad was all worried that he didn’t have coins or smaller bills on him, and the driver was gracious enough to say that he didn’t mind since his shift was ending. From what I know, it’s considered polite in Japan if you give the exact payment or as close to it. I’ve only ever been to Osaka though, so I guess it’s a regional thing? Eh.

Station closing:
   Generally, Japanese train stations close at around 12 MN or until the last train arrives at its “home station”. In fact in Kyobashi, where I stayed, the stations close at 10:30 PM if the last train of the Osaka Loop Line passes through Kyobashi station a bit early to dock at the Osaka station at the end of the loop… and I just didn’t make sense there.

Tobacco smoke and Taxi expense:
   Most taxis in Japan (NOT just in Osaka… I think) allow their customers (and even the driver) to smoke inside the cab. A running joke is that you know someone used a taxi if they smell like tobacco afterwards. Really, it smells like a smoking zone in there.

Taxis are expensive, yo. Horrrry crap. Use the trains instead. Taxis are a last-resort thing… unless you’re a rich prep student… with blond hair… named Yamaken… *Tetsukazu no Kanjou plays*

Inb4, I miss Japan now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:18:48 PM by Yuu-kun »

Offline rochilu

• Member+
Re: [JuriMayu] Game | Arc 1 | Chapter 2 (6/1/2014)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
Myyyy god Juribb you are screwed u.u and to think that your sister went through  the same thing. I'm smeling so many tears (? haha
yeeey Churi is here!! Hope you can put her in others chapters too :D
aww, you went to Japan? Lucky you!! maybe i will be there in 2015. it's everything go okay >u< Thanks for the aclarations at the end ^^

Offline Louise-sama

• Member+
[JuriMayu] Game | Arc 1 | Chapter 2 (6/1/2014)
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Oh, we both know that I did nothing about the editing! HAHAHA.

I'm glad you didn't laze around MariHaru's ...argument. The 'she said' rule was still applied! Hurrah! It really helped the pace of the conversation. AND! I'm very satisfied with Mariko's thoughts--you magnified her sensitivity there.

And, oh. Minna-san! This writer's actually a S. Beware! XD

Kami-oshi: Matsui Jurina
Oshi: Watanabe Mayu, Oshima Yuko, Yamamoto Sayaka, Yokoyama Yui
OTP: JuriMayu, SayaMilky, MariHaru, KojiYuu, YukiRena, MaYuki, WMatsui, YuiParu, SayaYui, AtsuMina

*ON BREAK FROM TUMBLR*

Offline Louise-sama

• Member+
Re: [JuriMayu] Game | Arc 1 | Chapter 2 (6/1/2014)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »
Heeey, remember me? How's the fic? This is really good, you know. I'd be happy if you won't abandon this :)

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Lazygunsbrisky - But I know