JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Big Bang - Fantastic Baby

Author Topic: Official Racing Thread  (Read 136309 times)

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Official Racing Thread
« Reply #860 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:45 AM »
Edwards tops Pro Stock qualifying

Associated Press

CLERMONT, Ind. -- Defending Pro Stock season champion Mike Edwards raced to the No. 1 qualifying position Sunday in the NHRA's playoff-opening the U.S. Nationals with a track-record time of 6.579 seconds at 209.26 mph.

Edwards topped qualifying for the 12th time this season and 34th overall.

Larry Dixon, Matt Hagan and Andrew Hines also led their divisions in the first of six races in the Countdown to the Championship playoffs.

In Top Fuel, Dixon's track record time of 3.776 at 324.36 from Saturday stood as the quickest of the weekend, giving the three-time Indy winner his sixth No. 1 effort of the season, 46th of his career and third at the event.

Hagan claimed his third top qualifying position of the season and fifth of his career with a track-record time of 4.039 at 299.86 in a Dodge Charger.

Hines led all five Pro Stock Motorcycle qualifying sessions on his Harley-Davidson and earned his second No. 1 of the season and 28th of his career with his national-record run of 6.185 seconds at a track-record speed of 196.76 mph.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #862 on: September 09, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
IndyCar schedule to be announced

Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- The IndyCar series will announce its 2011 schedule at the Milwaukee Mile on Friday, suggesting that racing will return to the historic track next year.

The Mile withdrew from hosting marquee racing events this year after past promoters had financial problems and no suitable replacement could be found. IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard said last month that he was optimistic that the series could return to Milwaukee.

The Mile held its first auto racing event in 1903 and is most closely associated with the Indy-style race it traditionally held the week after the Indianapolis 500.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #863 on: September 09, 2010, 09:42:29 PM »
FIA draws line on Ferrari sanctions

Associated Press

PARIS -- Formula One's governing body decided Wednesday not to impose more sanctions on Ferrari for breaking rules on team orders at the German Grand Prix.

The FIA said in a statement after a day-long meeting that its World Motor Sport Council upheld the $100,000 fine that was imposed on July 25 at Hockenheim when Ferrari driver Felipe Massa let teammate Fernando Alonso overtake him to win the race.

The council could have stripped Alonso of the victory or docked the team points or imposed another fine. However, the FIA said that "after an in-depth analysis of all reports, statements and documents submitted, the judging body has decided to confirm the stewards' decision of a $100,000 fine."

The FIA also said it would review the ban on team orders, which was introduced following the 2002 season after Ferrari ordered Rubens Barrichello to hand victory to Michael Schumacher in the Austrian Grand Prix.

In July, Massa led 49 of 67 laps in Germany before allowing Alonso to pass him following Ferrari radio messages. Had Alonso been stripped of the race victory, he would have fallen 66 points behind current leader Lewis Hamilton in the drivers' standings.

With six races left in the season, including Sunday's Italian Grand Prix in Monza, Alonso remains 41 points behind Hamilton -- who leads with 182.

Ferrari boss Stefano Domenicali and team lawyers attended the hearing in Paris.

Domenicali has maintained that Ferrari didn't give explicit orders to Massa at the German race, although the Brazilian driver received a message from race engineer Rob Smedley saying Alonso was faster than him.

The radio message was seen as a clear order to let his teammate pass him, but Massa said after the race it was his decision to slow down.

"In my opinion this was not a case of team orders. My engineer kept me constantly informed on what was going on behind me, especially when I was struggling a bit on the hard tires," Massa said. "So I decided to do the best thing for the team."
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #864 on: September 09, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
Sebastian Vettel not changing style

Associated Press

MONZA, Italy -- Sebastian Vettel will not shy away from attempting the same maneuver that knocked Jenson Button out of the last race if that's what is needed to go for a win in Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.

The Red Bull driver was widely criticized for crashing into his McLaren rival at the Belgian GP, an accident that took both drivers out of the points and further adrift of Formula One leader Lewis Hamilton.

But Vettel, who has repeatedly apologized to the McLaren driver over the mistake, said he will continue to go with his attacking instincts if a similar opportunity presents itself at Monza.

"Exactly the same situation never happens twice so it's difficult to say," Vettel said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "[But] in general, Sunday afternoon is not an afternoon tea drive -- we drivers take part in a race because we obviously want to win it. Therefore you have to attack and if you wait and stay back you might miss a good opportunity."

Vettel also crashed into teammate Mark Webber in Turkey when they were heading for a 1-2 finish -- a "misunderstanding," said the German driver -- and a momentary lapse of concentration cost him victory to his teammate in Hungary.

"Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you," Vettel wrote. "I have learned my lesson from the last two races, where I made a mistake and I am now looking forward to Monza."

Vettel also rebuked Webber's suggestion that the team will have to start thinking about backing one driver over another with only five races to go after Monza. Third-place Vettel trails Hamilton by 31 points while Webber is only three behind.

"For a driver this makes no sense -- you don't give up trying to win the championship until it's mathematically impossible," Vettel said. "For the team it makes no sense to favor one if that means penalizing the other because you need both drivers scoring maximum points to win the constructors' championship. With two drivers close in the championship it is too dangerous to choose."

Vettel has taken seven of Red Bull's 12 pole positions this season but has only managed two wins to Webber's four. But the 23-year-old Vettel said the many near-misses hasn't boiled over into frustration.

"For sure I have enjoyed the season although it hasn't been always easy -- but I like the challenge," Vettel said. "Otherwise we would get bored."
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #865 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »
Michael Schumacher says he can help

Associated Press

MONZA, Italy -- Michael Schumacher believes he's the perfect person to help Formula One's governing body clarify the sport's disputed rule about team orders.

Schumacher was the beneficiary of the infamous team order Ferrari gave to Rubens Barrichello in 2002, telling him to cede victory to the seven-time champion on the final straight of the Austrian Grand Prix.

That led to a ban on team orders, which Ferrari broke at this season's German GP when Felipe Massa let Fernando Alonso pass him for victory. Governing body FIA decided Wednesday not to dock the Italian team any points, but said it will review the regulation.

Schumacher says being part of the review "would be ideal."

Most drivers at the Italian GP on Thursday agreed the rule needed to be amended.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #867 on: September 10, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
McLaren says team rules 'more muddy'

Associated Press

MONZA, Italy -- While Formula One welcomed a review of the team orders rule, leading teams were confused by FIA's decision to let Ferrari escape with just a fine for breaking the regulation at the German Grand Prix.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said that clarity was needed after the governing body ruled the Italian team had used the illegal order but failed to impose further sanctions due to the "uncertainty and complexity surrounding the ban ... and the difficulties of detecting and policing."

"We don't have clarity -- if anything it's more muddy," Whitmarsh said Friday at the Italian GP. "[Ferrari] are either guilty and should be given a penalty, or they're not guilty and should be given back the fine they received."

Ferrari was fined $100,000 for using coded messages to get Fernando Alonso to pass Felipe Massa in a 1-2 finish in Hockenheim.

FIA said in its final ruling that "there were many examples of what could have been said to be team orders in F1 in recent years, and therefore there has been inconsistency in its application."

The rule was introduced in 2002 following a backlash from Ferrari for ordering Rubens Barrichello to let Michael Schumacher pass on the final straight and win the Austrian GP.

F1 teams Williams and Sauber had both written to FIA's World Motor Sport Council in support of Ferrari, while most drivers on Thursday said FIA's decision to review the ban was welcomed.

But Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said FIA had set a "precedent" for the last six races of the season as teams had free range to order drivers around.

"Other than the financial penalty at the event [there is] no effect on their performance," Horner said. "So if any team was in that situation and wished to move their cars around, or needed to, then a precedent has been set."
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #869 on: September 10, 2010, 06:31:18 PM »
Sebastian Vettel fastest in practice

Associated Press

MONZA, Italy -- Sebastian Vettel set the fastest time in the Italian Grand Prix practice.

The Red Bull driver had the fastest lap of 1 minute, 22.839 seconds around the Monza circuit to deny local favorite Fernando Alonso the best time. The Ferrari driver was less than one-tenth of a second off the pace.

Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa was third ahead of McLaren pair Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button after the afternoon session.

Vettel finished outside of the points at the Belgian Grand Prix after crashing into Button following a mistake that also ended the British driver's race.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline storyboard

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #870 on: November 15, 2010, 04:44:48 AM »
Last post was about Vettel and what do you know...he's won the Formula One championship! Congrats to Vettel for not only winning but also the youngest one to win!

Vettle becomes youngest F1 champion

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #871 on: November 15, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »

Vettle becomes youngest F1 champion

HA! Take THAT Alonso! XD

Props to Vettel and to Red Bull Racing. Just goes to show that you don't necessarily have to be around for decades; a well-organized, hard-working team CAN get the job done. :thumbsup :rockon:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline md007

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #872 on: November 17, 2010, 06:59:07 AM »
Wow, a 5 years - 44 pages thread, seems that you people like racing :twothumbs

Congrats to Vettel, he deserves it and Alonso, better luck next year!!

PS: Good luck to Sergio Perez (I'm from MX)

PPS: Anyone likes rallies?
*Working on...*

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #873 on: April 17, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »
So Lewis Hamilton is bitching about Vettel and claiming he's only winning because he has a faster car than his own.

I wonder, do you think Lewis sees the irony?

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #874 on: April 17, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
So Lewis Hamilton is bitching about Vettel and claiming he's only winning because he has a faster car than his own.
Wow...absolutely BRILLIANT deduction there Lewis. And to think...all this time you were able to win races with a slow car....[/sarcasm]

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #875 on: June 11, 2011, 05:37:36 PM »
Le Mans 24 Hours!

ZOMG  :panic:

Offline Code001

• Mac OS X Junkie
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 関口愛美ファン
« Reply #876 on: June 11, 2011, 06:41:34 PM »
That crash was awful.  It just goes to show you how safe today's race cars are.  I bet the media guys got more scrapes due to the flying carbon shrapnel than McNish.

BTW, here's a stream in the mean time.  Click on Le Mans 2011:

http://stream.speedtv.com/corvette
Feel free to PM me for Japanese to English translations.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #877 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Le Mans 24 Hours!

ZOMG  :panic:

holy shit, glad he's alright (this is the reason the HANS device is mandatory)  :panic:

yet another year that i totally forgot about le mans  :doh: (although watching the end of it now on speed channel)...to be fair tho i havent really been able to keep up with racing as much as i used to with my work schedule (didnt get to see the petit le mans or much of the le mans series, alms or rolex sports car series either)...since when did the prototype cars have to have that middle wing thingy down the center? (actually it looks like just the lmp1's that have them)  :huhuh   and it seems most of the protoypes have gone to closed cockpits  :shocked:  i remember when the aston martin speed 8's were the only ones ....man i feel so out of touch, a few years ago i was keeping up with endurance/road racing as much as i could
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:58:01 AM by john_hung »

Offline reikaehara

• ecchi
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2011, 05:53:37 PM »
My favorite F1 racer is Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikonen, but i like Lewis Hamilton too :)

Offline aisnack

• Member+
« Reply #879 on: July 02, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
I like the red bull teams, but i think they
treat their drivers badly, 'cept tenderviddles
ofcourse.

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Big Bang - Fantastic Baby